• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which to get?

• Astral Chain

Votes: 846 75.5%
  • Borderlands 3

Votes: 274 24.5%

• Total voters

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Borderlands is much more likely to get a GoTY edition later down the line with all the content and a cheaper price than launch, whereas a Nintendo-exclusive is bound to be full-price for a while, potentially indefinitely, making it a "safer" day 1 purchase.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like an easy choice. If you know that you'll like both and have friends to play with in co-op, get BL3 first and Astral Chain later. BL3, like most of these types of games, aren't great single player experiences.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Bordeelands 3 will last you a lot longer if price is important. It will be cheaper much faster but you are talking about right now.

If you can wait it out you'll save more money by getting Astral Chain first but I wouldnt if I were you.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Even RDR2 dropped to $40 by the end of last year. BL3 will surely do the same.

Astral Chain will hold its value for much longer.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands is much more likely to get a GoTY edition later down the line with all the content and a cheaper price than launch, whereas a Nintendo-exclusive is bound to be full-price for a while, potentially indefinitely, making it a "safer" day 1 purchase.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Borderlands may also just be more Borderlands, which is fine, but Astral Chain seems unique.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You can probably buy AC - finish it and sell it for a solid price a couple weeks in and then buy BL3 for that money on a sale.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you have friends that are interested in playing Borderlands 3 with you, get Borderlands. If not, get Astral Chain and pick up Borderlands later.
Was about to say just this. Borderlands with equally excited friends to play with is super fun.

If no friends or people to play with...Astral Chain as others have said.

roguebubble

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 8, 2018
Do you have BL2? Have you completed it? If no to either those then get that and finish it (it's currently heavily discounted). Then if you absolutely love it and crave to have more get BL3. Otherwise get Astral Chain

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands will be $30 by Christmas, Astral Chain will still be $60. Not to mention Astral Chain will be a game you can play once and then trade in for a lot of money, potentially funding the Borderlands purchase.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Borderlands 3 in a year when its goty edition comes out. Astral chain will have its defenitive edition on day one

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
be a smart consumer, wait for the reviews of both games from multiple sources and make an inform decision of which game you would get the most value out of, and don't pre-order either.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I watched the borderlands 3 stream btw really going in wanting to see a great new borderlands game but the game looks very similar to 2. Ya'll cant convince me otherwise so dont try

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Borderlands has a single cat but Astral Chain has cats in every single level. Both have a comparable amount of toilets and robots so when it comes to the only three things that matter, Astral Chain is the clear winner

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
be a smart consumer, wait for the reviews of both games from multiple sources and make an inform decision of which game you would get the most value out of, and don't pre-order either.
This right here. Just wait until both release to make an informed decision.

To be honest, I have no idea what Astral Chain is. I'll probably pick up Borderlands 3 since I really enjoyed the first two and I have people to co-op with.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If you have friend to play with, I'd say B3. If not, I say Astral Chain. Besides, B3 will probably be half price in a couple of months and people will still be playing it online.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Borderlands 3.

While I love Astral Chain and will be getting it day 1, you need to play Borderlands while the online community is healthy and people are discovering stuff.

Always better to play the MP games on release. SP games can be played whenever.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
BL3. It'll be the bigger game, and you want to get into online/multiplayer focused games as soon as possible. It's also a known property. So if you're deciding between the 2 before they launch, you pretty much know you're getting a game that'll be in the running for goty.

So you're advising him to get Astral Chain?

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just get Astral Chain it looks like the better game but it also means you won't give any money to Randy Pitchford.

Oct 27, 2017
Well we now what BL3 will be. Let's wait to see if astral chain is actually good and has enough value to justify buying it over a game that you can play for dozens of hours

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Explain how Borderlands 3 has had a troubled development, and no, Randy shitposting on Twitter doesn't count
I think the circumstances around the head of the company do count and the publisher calling private investigators on an excited fan count, and the accusations of the former second in command and former voice or claptrap (the same person) totally count.

Anything else I know I can't comment on, but I think those three things absolutely count.

I think Borderlands 3 will be a fine, if not good video game, but saying the development hasn't been troubled is naive.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
I think the circumstances around the head of the company do count and the publisher calling private investigators on an excited fan count, and the accusations of the former second in command and former voice or claptrap (the same person) totally count.

Anything else I know I can't comment on, but I think those three things absolutely count.

I think Borderlands 3 will be a fine, if not good video game, but saying the development hasn't been troubled is naive.
That's more public affairs then development.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
publisher calling private investigators on an excited fan count
Bro, you realize it was Take-Two who did this, right? Not 2K (the publisher of BL3) or Gearbox... I highly doubt the folks at Gearbox even knew about SupMatto until this all happened. After all, Take-Two did the same thing to a GTA V modder back in 2016. This absolutely isn't indicative of a troubled development at all, more a company over-protective of their IP (it's an extremely shitty thing to do and I'm not taking their side here)

and the accusations of the former second in command and former voice or claptrap (the same person) totally count.
David Eddings left the company in March of 2017, this was when Borderlands 3 was leaving pre-production and likely entering full-scale development by Gearbox Quebec and Texas together. Again like my original post states, this is more of a Randy thing than an actual indicator of a troubled development. In an industry where workers are forced to work 100 hour weeks or face being fired, this ranks super low in the troubled-development-ometer

None of these really indicate a troubled development at all. Gearbox is one of the few AAA studios who actively avoid crunch and employees have stated their quality of life there is pretty good. There are a lot of good folk at Gearbox Texas and Quebec. I can understand not liking the shitty things Randy and Take-Two are doing, but considering there are actual games with insanely troubled and unsustainable development like Black Ops IIII for example, I don't think this moniker applies to Borderlands 3 at all.

Like Zenkuso puts it, this is more of a public affairs thing and it's undeniable that Borderlands 3 has had some really shitty press in the lead up to release, but troubled development? Na.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Astral Chain comes out first.

Get that, beat it and sell it. Then get Borderlands 3 when it comes out 2 weeks later.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
BL3 will be at least 50% off on Black Friday, guaranteed. Astral Chain isn't going to drop in price anytime soon.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Get Astral Chain. Borderlands 3 will have a ton of DLC, waiting a bit might get you the game cheaper.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect most answers in this thread are pretty biased for one reason or another.

Judging by the OP, you've been pretty hyped to play Borderlands 3 for a while now and looter shooters are more fun to play when they're first released when everyone is still hyped for it, in my opinion. So why not just get that? Yeah, it'll drop in price in the future but will you know anyone who is still playing it regularly when the GOTY version comes out? Assuming you might be playing it with a friend or two.

Astral Chain looks dope but you don't have to worry about something like that with that game. Regardless, I'd wait for reviews and see how Astral Chain scores and how long it is. That could sway your opinion. If it's blowing reviews out of the water and looks like a 9/10 game from most reviewers, you might not want to wait for BL3. But it sounds like you probably should wait if you're able to.