• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
I want the "I get his arguement" side to respond to this. Can you translate his words a bit more for me?
Watch a movie before 2004. The dude always chases a girl whos not interested and doesn't get her until the end. "Getting a girl" was portrayed like that forever. I'm just clarifying what i think he meant by old fashion not condoning or agreeing with anything.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bruh, you're fucking Superman.

*Walks into any club in LA*

"What's up ladies, my name is Henry and my weekend car is a Lambo. Can I buy you some drinks?"

*one hour of bullshit*

"Wanna go back to my place?"

*arrives home*

"Wanna have sex?"

Notice how in each stage you respect another human being's right to choose? That's how you avoid being a rapist.

Definitely wouldn't take Henry an hour.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Or too much classic James Bond lol.

Hell, modern James Bond still applies.

Watch a movie before 2004. The dude always chases a girl whos not interested and doesn't get her until the end. "Getting a girl" was portrayed like that forever. I'm just clarifying what i think he meant by old fashion not condoning or agreeing with anything.

It crops up in modern movies, too. Like in Jurassic World.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Cavill is saying the woman will call him a rapist or that he'll go to court or anything, but that due to his celebrity status an unwanted advance can be turned into a Twitter thread or blog post that gets shared and reposted for clicks and all of a sudden people are talking about how he's a sexual predator.

Bleepey

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Did you even read what the fuck you linked to? The situation is not even analogous to what Cavill is talking about in the first place because Watson didn't accuse this other guy of being a rapist or sexual harasser, literally just said "guys don't do that." But even on its own merits, a stranger follows a woman into an elevator at 4am and invites her to his hotel room. That is plainly an uncomfortable scenario, at best. What about that are you so worried about misconstruing?

It's just splitting hairs at this point replace harasser with creep and it's the same shit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I don't think Cavill is saying the woman will call him a rapist or that he'll go to court or anything, but that due to his celebrity status an unwanted advance can be turned into a Twitter thread or blog post that gets shared and reposted for clicks and all of a sudden people are talking about how he's a sexual predator.
Nobody's calling him a sexual predator. They're calling his paranoia fucking dumb.

Ramuh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already thought celebrities were careful about potential relationships? Is this news to him? No need to air this out.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
What he's saying is:

'Well, I don't want to go up and talk to her, because I'm going to be called a rapist or something'.
If he wanted to say what you're saying he wanted to say, he could've said it instead.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
He did say the word rapist though. And even then its still pretty crazy to me he would be that paranoid about talking to anyone. What is he basing this fear off of? A handful of people who got called out for their shitty behavior? It was a pretty fucking stupid thing to say. He prolly could have got a point like that across without coming off like a total douche.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Dudes like this think they're being suave and dominant but most don't know how to actually balance that without coming across as controlling and douchy.

It's seriously not that hard to not be a piece of shit and show respect.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is it's not really comical. It's the same pushback we've been seeing against the very real problem that has been happening for decades. They want things to go back to the "good old days" now that things are changing and people are being held accountable.

It's why we still aren't seeing the receipts being asked for in this thread repeatedly for an irrational construct.
There's a quote in the article where he talks about "keeping the good aspect while removing the bad" rather than some "good old days" argument you're making. I don't agree with that he's saying for the most part but I can understand aspects of it. I'll agree there are problems with pursuing women like making them a prize to be won but it's not always in that context. There can be room for a persistent back and forth that ends with a number given or date that isn't based on pressuring someone or some conquer fantasy. That said there are absolutely indications when it's a hard no and she's completely uninterested and when it's more playful in the specific case of flirting. Obviously does not apply in a sexual context where no absolutely means no.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Henry was plainly talking about wooing people even after 'No'.

"Now you really can't pursue someone further than, 'No'."

I know? I wasn't talking about Cavill anymore. I was talking about the concept of "wooing" or "chasing" that he referenced and was saying thats not actually a bad thing to a certain extent. If you do it AFTER a hard no then yeah its creepy and a bit weird, but if you get mixed signals or hesitation then grand gestures or various other things can be utilized to let the person know you are serious about liking them. Flowers, cards, gifts etc etc the usual cliches, but also more goofy and randoms things. For example in high school I liked a girl when I was in my Junior year, but she thought I was just messing around when I asked her out and told me she didn't think I actually liked her. I got out of my last class early the next day and beat her to the parking lot and put sticky notes all over her car with various jokes and doodles. She thought it was a riot and then we dated for over a year. Just small ways of letting someone know you are interested is all I am saying.

Once again I am not advocating that kind of mentality after a hard no like he is talking about though. I'm just talking about the practice in general not being so bad when done properly with class, common sense, and self awareness.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I kind of understand what he's saying, but man he worded it badly. Those words also doesn't seem very savory considering that he used to date a teenager.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
The full quote is even worse.. I dont understand some dude that thread rant about people "go at him" which the reality most response just say the comment is stupid and the comment is indeed fucking stupid.

After the full quote its even justified if people really "go at him"

Its a vile toxic masculinity that Cavill tried to excusing of.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Today I learned I have more courage approaching women than an actor playing the Man of Steel in the big screen.

I don't know if I should feel proud or disappointed.

Edit: This wasn't a necessary joke considering the topic. My bad.

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Henry Cavill killed the entire Superman/DC franchise already.

Thanks man. We all knew only Wonder Woman should exist.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very poor way of saying this. And he shouldn't have said rape. Now the giving up quick part I can agree with. It is kinda scary that one accusation can ruin a career like what happened with hardwick

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine how women must feel about the concern of being the potential victim of such an inhumane act.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Dudes like this think they're being suave and dominant but most don't know how to actually balance that without coming across as controlling and douchy.

It's seriously not that hard to not be a piece of shit and show respect.
In this day and age where literally anything can be taken the wrong way?

OP
OP

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Henry Cavill killed the entire Superman/DC franchise already.

Thanks man. We all knew only Wonder Woman should exist.
980x.jpg

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Cavill my dude, what the fuck?

He needs to clear this up soon - don't know why he used the word "rapist" there.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Holy fucking shit. How is this real? Those quotes are real? I can't believe my eyes...

1) Don't rape people.
2) No means no.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
He has the ground work for a solid concept, but then goes off the rails and loses everyone.

"I'm worried of being in a relationship with a women because if things go bad and I'm accused of sexual assault, I'm seen as another predator in hollywood and if could negatively impact my career" I believe is what he wanted to say.

I don't think he meant to imply he's afraid he would rape someone. If that were the case he would probably need some deep therapy for some very deep seeded problems.