• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
https://apnews.com/5ba4676be5ef450f95566bdcd300bc91

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41845445

Scientists have found a previously undiscovered hidden chamber in Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza, the first such discovery in the structure since the 19th century.

In a report published in the journal Nature on Thursday, an international team says the 30-meter (yard) void deep within the pyramid is situated above the Grand Gallery, and has a similar cross-section.

Call Brendan Fraser if old.

Last edited:

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Woah, that's pretty cool
as long as it's not an AC:Origins marketing stunt

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I love stuff like this, old time adventuring. They're too cautious exploring now as they don't want to upset anything, and keep everything preserved. Understandable, but makes for slow discoveries!

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pyramids are so fascinating. Human ingenuity knows no bounds and has no timeline. I wonder what was in it though.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still incredible we don't know how they built the pyramids.

Such marvelous monuments.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I love stuff like this, old time adventuring. They're too cautious exploring now as they don't want to upset anything, and keep everything preserved. Understandable, but makes for slow discoveries!

Don't they get a pretty thorough picture of the areas without even touching them nowadays with 3D scanning?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is barely news. A scientist just told a sphinx that Bowser was looking for a sapphire pendant for "something blue", the chamber opened up, and they found a Moon. No big deal.

EDIT: lol, beaten to the punch.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they get a pretty thorough picture of the areas without even touching them nowadays with 3D scanning?

Yes and no. After all, it's through such scanning that they've now found this 'void', and they're still combing the structure as a whole. In this instance they also know the void is there, but at the same time they're not entirely sure of its inclination, precise shape, and so forth - detailed to be refined with more scans, hopefully.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is where they find those stone tablets that they'll use as the basis for a mega-popular trading card game, isn't it?

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
I love this kind of shit. If it was hidden originally, and lost to time.. I think it's going to be pretty hard to see in there. Even if we could get some small drones in there that would be great.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I know what a Pyramid is! I saw it in a Mario game! *eyeroll*

The technique they used - Muon detectors - is bonkers. They had to measure cosmic rays to get even this low-rez picture. We tend to assume that ground penetrating radar and all the other tech is sufficient to see "inside" a big stone thing like this, but it's a way harder problem than many realize.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Origins final mission spoilers? That's probably where that game's 'Apple of Eden' is buried.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, is it the chamber where the aliens are hidden? If not, then booo.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I though they could radar/xray/laser/magic scan these and know all the nooks and crannies for a while now. Neat that they are still finding new stuff.

When they had the remote controlled camera drone climb up the air shaft and broadcast it live a while back was the coolest thing. Shit was creepy.

photo%20006_sm.jpg

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Is this where they discover that ancient Egyptions loved playing a children's card game?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably where Joseph stored all the grain.