• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This would be a cool concept honestly.

He loves a lot of pop-culture media so I wonder if he stopped watching it because he didn't like it, which is what it usually sounds like when he stops watching a show, or if it's because there was too much of bleed over of inspiration.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
so Ape Escape 4 then

tumblr_ouh88cdyt11u0hr98o1_1280.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY can't picture Mads as a heroic lead. You gotta find new favorite actors, buddy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"What if Superman was a bad guy?"

*Slayven eyeroll*

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
"What if Superman was a bad guy?"

*Slayven eyeroll*

I will fucking kill people for some media that's legit about just Superman being a good proper Superman. Especially video games since WB can't figure that shit out.

I say this as someone that is really looking forward to MCU Squadron Supreme.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I love Mads, but he would have to be the Homelander equivalent. Would be a much better fit.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
could this new info possibly be a clue to unravel one of Kojima's most mysterious tweets?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
mads would have to play the grizzled european partner who's "getting too old for this shit" and only three days away from retirement

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I will fucking kill people for some media that's legit about just Superman being a good proper Superman. Especially video games since WB can't figure that shit out.

I say this as someone that is really looking forward to MCU Squadron Supreme.
Isn't that what the superman show's about?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that what the superman show's about?

True but only highlights my point tbh. For every thing that's legit "here's Superman at his best" there's 10 more "BUT WHAT IF SUPERMAN WAS ACTUALLY THE BAD GUY" stuff. It's exhausting after a while.

So I guess I should say MORE media, lol.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Not the most original concept these days, but I'd still take a Kojima take on superheroes/The Boys.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Need a game where you are a normal person trying to help out a hero instead. Like play as Alfred or Commissioner Gordon type character helping out a Batman.

Or maybe some tech guy making equipment for heroes 😂

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not the most original concept these days, but I'd still take a Kojima take on superheroes/The Boys.
The thing is, Metal Gear Solid already feel like fairly grounded human character Snake/Big Boss facing off against superhuman being with powers, which is what a lot of mgs bosses are.

Normal human vs superheroes premise sounds like a mgs boss rush type of games, which is cool because Kojima can male some really cool boss battle

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think Kojima should stop watching movies and series and squeeze his brain and imgination much more rather than just ruminating what is already offered in the other media. He just relied a lot on that since his debuts so he could not even avoid such dilemma even if did not want to.

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Kojima has a tendency of whenever something is trending he goes on to mention "I thought of something like this first but decided not to do it" lol

When Keanu was revealed to be in Cyberpunk and the internet went nuts he did the same "I was going to cast Keanu but decided not to"

Dude is a brilliant game designer but its really funny to see his twitter antics

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima has a tendency of whenever something is trending he goes on to mention "I thought of something like this first but decided not to do it" lol

When Keanu was revealed to be in Cyberpunk and the internet went nuts he did the same "I was going to cast Keanu but decided not to"

Dude is a brilliant game designer but its really funny to see his twitter antics
Yeah.

Also it would have been worse, if even all that similar.

But the gameplay mechanics would have been very good.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I think Kojima should stop watching movies and series and squeeze his brain and imgination much more rather than just ruminating what is already offered in the other media. He just relied a lot on that since his debuts so he could not even avoid such dilemma even if did not want to.

Nobody creates anything in a vacuum. While you may run the risk of being derivative, learning from what others have done—and what you do or don't like about their work—is a key part of the creative process. It seems strange to criticize Kojima for this specifically when he's known for making completely off-the-wall stories like Death Stranding that, to me, don't seem especially derivative. For what it's worth, I'm not a particularly big fan of his and I've only played a couple of Kojima's games, but the solution to any creative process probably isn't "stop watching television."

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It'd probably be closer to the juvenile antics and tone of the comic than the biting satire of the show.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Eh inspiration is a frequent thing with creators, there's nothing wrong with citing what initially drove certain ideas on a particular project. I think Kojima has done enough to show us he takes said inspiration and makes his own thing vs something more obvious homage.

Not that Kojima is anywhere in the same league but most of Kubrick's films were adaptations of novels he then reworked to suit his vision. I don't think those suffered from being based on something pre-existing.

I'll admit "superhero but bad" isn't the most interesting thing to tackle these days, but I think Kojima would have put enough of his own style in there to make it something worthwhile.

If there's anything I'd like to see him go down the rabbit hole on re: inspiration from an existing piece its Twin Peaks: The Return, which he's cited as being something that really affected him when first watching it. The more surreal/abstract horror Kojima mines the better.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, man, loving The Boys and would've loved Kojima's take on similar subject

But that's exactly what he did if I'm reading the tweets right. He was about to start a project he was ruminating on for some time and then watched The Boys and then dropped the project due to similarities.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I'd play this whilst worrying how Kojima was going to handle female costumes and deal with themes of sexual exploitation.