• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
anyone else which clout culture was more political?

seems like they have the ears of the youth but some better messages that could be going out especially at this time are going wayside.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

4QiqXsw.gif

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
interesting that logic chose to have his ex-wife grabbing his stick shift on the cover of bobby tarantino 2.

kinda awkward.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hey does anyone have any links for articles that discuss/summarise why Post Malone is such a shit? I get the general gist but I wanna educate myself and my gf's teenage siblings (who love that one song).

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying don't bother, but they're really, really unlikely to care. I know I didn't at that age.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
tbh post malone doesn't bother me. for someone to be a culture vulture they need to do more than just rap. rap is the biggest genre in the world now, it's taken a life of its own beyond black communities. if post molone was walking around in a dashiki dropping n bombs, that would be a different situation.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying don't bother, but they're really, really unlikely to care. I know I didn't at that age.

Yeah you're right.

tbh post malone doesn't bother me. for someone to be a culture vulture they need to do more than just rap. rap is the biggest genre in the world now, it's taken a life of its own beyond black communities. if post molone was walking around in a dashiki dropping n bombs, that would be a different situation.

Pretty sure he has dropped the n-word at some point on snapchat or something.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, there's a clear differentiation between artists who make hip-hop out of an appreciation of the genre and people who use it as a platform to further their careers and have no interest in it beyond capitalizing off it for self gain. That isn't to say that anyone owes anything to "the culture," but when you have no problem creating art in a genre that you turn around a belittle, I have no respect for you. In that regard, there's no real difference between Post and Lil Dicky and Miley Cyrus. I, and I suspect others as well, have been deeply affected by hip hop and hold it in dear regard. It's not a series of affectations that can be taken on and off like a t-shirt.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have been deeply affected by the music that I love but the quote that he doesn't listen to rap music for certain moods is so clearly a "gotcha" type thing that I certainly don't support. If you want to criticize the system that allows people like Post Malone to be successful that's fair but it seriously feels like people are just waiting for someone to say something problematic. People pay way too much attention to what their favorite artists say and do off record.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I don't think that article would likely convince them anyway if they're not equipped with some kind of prior knowledge about race, white privilege, and cultural appropriation. Never too early to introduce these ideas to them though (on the assumption they don't care/know).
The article was for me so I'm better equipped to have the discussion with them if/when it comes up.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Diplo EP has some good songs on it; "Wish" with Trippie Redd, "Color Blind" with Lil Xan, even "Suicidal" with Desiigner.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

For those keeping score, this is what Kanye said wasn't possible when he went on all those media rants those years ago (Breakfast Club/Sway). Virgil just did it, although he did have a lot of help from Ye to get off the ground, of course. Matters less given how Ye has basically turned adidas around, but yeah.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

For those keeping score, this is what Kanye said wasn't possible when he went on all those media rants those years ago (Breakfast Club/Sway). Virgil just did it, although he did have a lot of help from Ye to get off the ground, of course. Matters less given how Ye has basically turned adidas around, but yeah.

Oh, for some reason I mistook him for Ian Connor, who had dozens of rape accusations against him. But Virgil and Ye's camp has been working closely with Ian, so that's probably why I mixed up the names.

Double-Digit Figures & Famous Friends

When the dust settled in early July 2016, there were double digit rape allegations against Connor, but even that was not enough to dismantle his reign. Connor was busy "bragg[ing] about being [Kanye] West's 'head creative consultant' and further [declaring] that [Kanye] West was paying 'for my Japan living' – Connor has apparently been hiding out in Japan since the numerous rape allegations surfaced," as the Daily Beast stated at the time.

Add to this the excess of public support – oft by way of social media associations – and endorsements for his brand, Revenge x Storm, from individuals ranging from Kylie Jenner to Virgil Abloh, as a result of which Connor has been able to avoid any meaningful ostracization for his alleged transgressions.

And support for him, there continues to be. For instance, in speaking to Rap Radar Podcast in January 2017, rapper A$AP Rocky, then starring in Christian Dior's menswear campaigns, said specifically of Connor: "That's my little brother. F*ck what the world gotta say. You feel what I'm saying? He's a young visionary."

Rocky went on to state: "If you realize, he never went to jail for that. Never been arrested. Never been charged. It's all word of mouth sh*t. There's evidence of girls talking about a week before they did this, talking about, 'Oh, I'm not f*cking n*ggas for free no more. I'm about my business this year.' Pull the tweets up. Y'all know what it is. And this can happen to any of y'all. Be careful and treat women nice."

He was, of course, referencing a widely-circulated tweet that Anderson posted on March 22, 2016, that, according to Complex, "some Twitter users interpret as testimony of her true motives." The tweet in question read: "I think I'm done with the hoe life too [because] none of these niggas deserve my pussy I just want their money. I'm into scams now." Anderson told the publication that the tweet was misinterpreted. "It was clearly a joke," she said.

In addition to A$AP Rocky and others, such as rapper YG, who collaborated on Connor's latest sneaker, Abloh has seemingly stuck by Connor, as well. The two have been supporting each other's endeavors – whether it be Connor's very Vans-looking sneaker line or Abloh's Nike collaboration – by way of not infrequent Instagram coverage.

For instance, this summer, Connor was present in a meeting with Abloh and famed graphic design icon Peter Saville (as indicated by a photo on Abloh's Instagram), in attendance at Abloh's Spring/Summer 2018 Off-White show during Pitti Uomo, and as recently as last month, Connor posted an image of the two in a DJ booth, along with the caption, "Tour About To Start."Just this month, Abloh posted a photo of them together in Paris, tagging Connor.

As for the fashion media, with few exceptions, including the Daily Beast, whose Marlow Stern has religiously chronicled the allegations against Connor in recent years, and Complex, there has been little in-depth reporting of the double-digit rape allegations. In fact, many mainstream publications – including Hypebeast, for example, which posted a rather praising interview with Connor in August, noting how he "has steadily built up his reputation as an up-and-coming sartorial savant" – have opted to let that aspect of Connor's persona fall by the wayside.

To put the number of rape allegations into context: Terry Richardson has been accused of sexual assault almost 10 times. Photographer Mario Testino, a handful of times. Matt Lauer and Bruce Weber over 3 times each. 25-year old Ian Connor has been accused of rape by a whopping 21 different women; that is even more than President Donald Trump, who has been accused of sexual harassment by 20 different women.

And yet, while you may not see Connor at many (or any) Raf shows anymore, or being praised in the pages of Vogue, he remains in some of the fashion industry's buzziest circles, largely unscathed.

Source.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like everyone in the industry still fucks with Bari too. He was out in Wyoming with Ye too. It's the worst.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Being close to Kanye makes people think you're great too

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Virgil is the worst, and this decision makes me not want to follow fashion just so I'm not upset every time the industry falls to a new low.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Normally this Diplo EP would be up my alley but it isn't doing much for me. Not even bad, it's just eh. Get it Right VIP is decent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.