Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Virgil's entire design philosophy is to talk and think about the thing for hours and then assume that the audience will just assume the shit makes sense and then buy a sweatshirt for $500.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if that video is old but everybody here know he's a woman beater so none of us are surprised. Fuck that kid.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing you're not familiar with him/his history. The video is disgusting but it's not shocking given what a piece of shit he seems to be. This summarizes the victim testimony, not an easy read https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/xxxt...m-details-grim-pattern-of-abuse-in-testimony/
Yea it's fucked and I know he is facing tons of felony assault and kidnapping charges but it is this video new? cause it seems like the internet has been silent about this because up until now there hasn't been a video of him hitting a girl and people were saying that was proof he didn't beat his girlfriend up

PlayDat

Oct 25, 2017
GYYPS - GYPSYBURNS

Pretty exhausting to view this automatically through the lens of a victim or aggrieved party. Youtube is full of videos of people...reacting to things they aren't familiar with. This is not an exclusive thing about black music, it's a general Youtube reaction thing. You brought up gaming...Conan O'Brien does videos where he plays videogames; he's not a gamer, has no interest in gaming, but it's a...reaction skit. There is no difference.

People aren't watching those particular videos for any real insight into hip hop. They are watching them for the novelty of seeing someone who may not be intimately familiar with the genre react to listening to something for the first time. That goes for most of the reaction videos on you tube like "kids try Korean food." No one is watching these videos to see whether a 5 year old is going to understand the depth of flavor in kim chee stew. And the kid with his dad is one of the coolest shits things ever. I don't know how you could watch one of those and listen to that 8 year old speak about music more eloquently than the majority of simple reaction videos and not be won over. If someone like Lionpride actually decided to film himself listening to a Gang of Four album, I'm not going to say "wow you weren't even alive or know what the post punk scene was like in the 70's."

If you want in depth videos or deep dives there's stuff like dead end hip hop. My point isn't that racism doesn't exist, it's that trying to point that out using dudes that are notoriously elitist and closed minded actually trying something new and finding ways to appreciate it is kinda dumb.
Those Conan vids are trash too.

Thanks for expanding on this, see5harp. I don't like kids, so nah I'm not into that boy's videos. If he maintains the same level of interest into adulthood, then I'd be much more interested in his thoughts on the genre.

Perhaps I should have said "Reaction videos in general are bad. Videos about hip-hop by white people who are explicitly unfamiliar with hip-hop are particularly off-putting to me." They're allowed to critique as much as they want, but I'll continue ignoring them.

I don't disagree; it's how most white 18 year old's get treated. Which I never thought there was anything wrong with in a bubble; the problem isn't going easy on white kids it's how hard the justice system is on black kids.

Meek is still a clown though. It's not like he's just violating petty probation rules; one of his revocations involved an assault charge.. which happened while traveling without notice lol

He's already "made it"; so why let the rich guy break the rules?

One of my issues is that the probation terms were excessive. Nonsensical rules (length of probation and the travel restriction) ought to be changed. In the mean time, anyone who breaks them (rich or poor) shouldn't be punished. If the assault you're referring to was the one at the airport then I agree that he definitely fucked up there. He should have known better, but even that fight wasn't unprovoked. An airport employee wanted a picture. He declined, started getting annoyed and then hit them. He was wrong to do that of course, but doesn't deserve to keep suffering years later. The airport assault case got dismissed too.

This is tight.
Yeah, no, I can easily do without RTJ.

I still listen to the occasional track containing a Chris Brown-feature though, so maybe I'm just garbage with how I justify the shit artists do.
Killer Mike has some wacky views (supporting Dr. Umar, Bank Black, and this recent NRA thing), but Chris Brown's a woman beater. I'll be more offended if RTJ4 were just as boring as their 3rd album. Maybe then I'd stop checking for him.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.webp

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
that new rocky track is like a 6/10 imo

it's good, but just barely.

still super excited for the new album though.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah. I'm just happy Can't Tell Me Nothing got love. It's probably my favorite Kanye track, but I've always felt like I was a very very small minority in that opinion. Turns out I really wasn't

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Gorgeous or Flashing Lights are better choices but i'm not gonna argue against the second half of Runaway

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
RAF is an awful song. Telephone Calls is only good because of the beat and Tyler's verse. Let's not pretend Rocky hasn't fallen off a cliff since Yams died.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Watched Roxanne Roxanne last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about damn time a female rapper got her own biopic and Roxanne Shantae was an underrated rapper of her time. It's a shame she stopped rapping after her first album and it took her that long to get one.. Watching this movie you could probably see why those things happened. The lead actor I thought did good in parts and was iffy in others. I felt that Keke Palmer should've been in this role, but really the only movie I've seen her in was Akeelah and the Bee and that was so many years ago, couldn't help but think about her when I was watching this though. Good movie though. Black content is looking good for this year, what else I got to be on the lookout for other than Sorry to Bother You?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
if you think RAF is a bad song, i don't know what to tell you

it's got FRANK OCEAN on it

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RAF is great in the car. And RAF is great live. So is Telephone calls. Rocky's flow is goat.

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Roxanne Roxanne last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about damn time a female rapper got her own biopic and Roxanne Shantae was an underrated rapper of her time. It's a shame she stopped rapping after her first album and it took her that long to get one.. Watching this movie you could probably see why those things happened. The lead actor I thought did good in parts and was iffy in others. I felt that Keke Palmer should've been in this role, but really the only movie I've seen her in was Akeelah and the Bee and that was so many years ago, couldn't help but think about her when I was watching this though. Good movie though. Black content is looking good for this year, what else I got to be on the lookout for other than Sorry to Bother You?
Oh, gonna check it out. Saw its banner on the frontpage last night and Mahershala Ali.

PlayDat

Oct 25, 2017
LE$ - Texas Rattlesnake

I'm In It is a top 3 Kanye West track. It probably would have lost the first round of the bracket, but I wish it was at least included.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Where would you guys put G-Eazy on the vulture scale of Eminem to Post Malone, btw? Never followed dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.