• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a book reader so my opinion on the show is always gonna have the detail and nuance of those three books to influence it, but I too thought they nailed it.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm on fast-forward as a non-book reader in a bad way. The world's not immersive- the lack of budget for the daemons is a big issue.

The direction in this latest episode plays into that- instead of having an escalation from "There he is! Go help him!" to "wait wheres the daemon" they go from 0->100 almost immediately in a really weird way, because the world hasn't established the omnipresence of the Daemons visually due to the budget.
I've read the books but I completely get this take tbh, not sure I'd be enjoying it much if I hadn't read the books. The pacing is a bit weird as it feels like they're throwing a ton at you without proper context of why its happening.
I'm a book reader so my opinion on the show is always gonna have the detail and nuance of those three books to influence it, but I too thought they nailed it.
Same, I was feeling dread during that scene :(

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the books and I thought that the scene where we learn Billy no longer has his daemon was very well done.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like I'm on fast-forward as a non-book reader in a bad way. The world's not immersive- the lack of budget for the daemons is a big issue.

The direction in this latest episode plays into that- instead of having an escalation from "There he is! Go help him!" to "wait wheres the daemon" they go from 0->100 almost immediately in a really weird way, because the world hasn't established the omnipresence of the Daemons visually due to the budget.

It is established that many daemons like playing with other daemons (so not exactly where their human is), and that some small ones prefer to hide in clothes (snakes for example). I can see why you're sad not to see them all all the time but there are internal explanations and come on, it is more than enough.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is established that many daemons like playing with other daemons (so not exactly where their human is), and that some small ones prefer to hide in clothes (snakes for example). I can see why you're sad not to see them all all the time but there are internal explanations and come on, it is more than enough.
Not to where "where's his daemon" should be immediately coming out of her mouth when, as you said, its established they hide and stuff on the show.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Not to where "where's his daemon" should be immediately coming out of her mouth when, as you said, its established they hide and stuff on the show.

Given the state of the kid, surely the daemon would show itself ? Plus she knows the daemon, probably its temper, and she even possibly knows about the visible effects of such a removal, hence her immediate denial.

I'm not saying everything is explained in detail, but it didn't strike me as illogical. Maybe some non-book readers will agree with you but for now it doesn't seem like a big deal.

What seems more questionable is the pacing. I like it, but I can totally understand the criticism on that front. Hopefully what comes after will justify it.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I just wish, they gave the world time to take a breath.They are throwing all these details at me, telling me i should care, but they dont give me enough time to make a connection to these things. It feels more like i'm watching the second season and i still don't get what's the point of deamons. Yes, they are more like pets, but that's it? The bad guy is switching between the worlds, and wants to stop/hunt people who also do it, because?

I don't know, it's just not pulling me in as it could, cause the world is interesting, but just saying "the church is evil" and you need to stop them is just not enough for me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish, they gave the world time to take a breath.They are throwing all these details at me, telling me i should care, but they dont give me enough time to make a connection to these things. It feels more like i'm watching the second season and i still don't get what's the point of deamons. Yes, they are more like pets, but that's it? The bad guy is switching between the worlds, and wants to stop/hunt people who also do it, because?

I don't know, it's just not pulling me in as it could, cause the world is interesting, but just saying "the church is evil" and you need to stop them is just not enough for me.
If they answered all those questions in three, four or five episodes, what questions remain to be answered?

Go along for the ride knowing that answers are coming. If having a talking animal soul isn't enough to fascinate you, this show just might not be for you.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If they answered all those questions in three, four or five episodes, what questions remain to be answered?

Go along for the ride knowing that answers are coming. If having a talking animal soul isn't enough to fascinate you, this show just might not be for you.

It's not just about answering, but giving them more of a backstory. Just putting someone there doing evil things is a bit too simple. I will watch it till end, and see how i will like it then.

Well yeah, it kinda is not enough, i wish they would connect more with their animals. Show how they share the same feelings, how it affects them, how they synchronise, cause they are part of each other, how they can profit from that connection, for now it just seems like they are some pets walking next to them. The best interaction between daemon and his person was the eagle and the witch, when he said "everything i see, she sees. Everything i feel she feels" etc., it showed that they are really connected.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wish they would tell us more about the church other than "they are evil." That is literally all you know if you are just a show watcher. I don't even know what the church believes or is premised upon, and I don't think we met any "normal" church folk who are not mustache twirling villains. They are written like a large corporation, not a church. It could use some world building.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about answering, but giving them more of a backstory. Just putting someone there doing evil things is a bit too simple. I will watch it till end, and see how i will like it then.

Well yeah, it kinda is not enough, i wish they would connect more with their animals. Show how they share the same feelings, how it affects them, how they synchronise, cause they are part of each other, how they can profit from that connection, for now it just seems like they are some pets walking next to them. The best interaction between daemon and his person was the eagle and the witch, when he said "everything i see, she sees. Everything i feel she feels" etc., it showed that they are really connected.

What about when Benjamin was feeling his daemons pain? When pan was scared walking up the path and it was pulling lycra back where they found billy? How awful it was seeing a person without their daemon? When in almost the opening scene, the master of Jordan colleges daemon was urging him on when he was having a moral dilemma?

And we're about to see how important daemons are seen in their world in 2 episodes most likely.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What about when Benjamin was feeling his daemons pain? When pan was scared walking up the path and it was pulling lycra back where they found billy? How awful it was seeing a person without their daemon? When in almost the opening scene, the master of Jordan colleges daemon was urging him on when he was having a moral dilemma?

And we're about to see how important daemons are seen in their world in 2 episodes most likely.

Ahh yeah, forgot about the scene with Benjamin. The scene with Lyra and Pan: Pan was making some dog noises, like when a dog is scared, and that's why Lyra started getting scared too, i didn't see any soul connection there. My dog gets between my legs when he is scared, so i can protect him, and this is also what Pan with Lyra was doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Whilst I'm loving the show - I do think the above non book readers have a point. It is clearly explained how much humans and daemons are connected in Lyra's world and the horror of meeting the little boy without his daemon IN THE BOOKS. But I don't think it's anywhere nearly as well explained in the show. It's not bothering me as I read the books and can connect the dots and get what's being implied - but I won't harshly judge those who see it differently.

For example whilst I do think the TV Show is doing a much better job than the film - this popped up in my Youtube feed and clearly explains how the finding of the severed child is vastly different between the book and the film. After watching it - realized that the TV Show isn't doing it anywhere as good as the book does either.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Whilst I'm loving the show - I do think the above non book readers have a point. It is clearly explained how much humans and daemons are connected in Lyra's world and the horror of meeting the little boy without his daemon IN THE BOOKS. But I don't think it's anywhere nearly as well explained in the show. It's not bothering me as I read the books and can connect the dots and get what's being implied - but I won't harshly judge those who see it differently.

For example whilst I do think the TV Show is doing a much better job than the film - this popped up in my Youtube feed and clearly explains how the finding of the severed child is vastly different between the book and the film. After watching it - realized that the TV Show isn't doing it anywhere as good as the book does either.

Yes, this is exactly the problem I had with the episode. Lyra really needed to more visably swallow her fear and be brave (she was repeating the mantra from Iorek and all!!) to get over the revulsion and disgust at someone who didn't have a daemon in order to care for her friend. Also, Billy lacking the ability to speak and the removal of the dried fish didn't do the scene any favors. It certainly is done better than the movie, but I think the video's point remains that they just didn't hit the right notes with this scene. It's really strange, because they are doing such a better job everywhere else...

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I wish they would tell us more about the church other than "they are evil." That is literally all you know if you are just a show watcher. I don't even know what the church believes or is premised upon, and I don't think we met any "normal" church folk who are not mustache twirling villains. They are written like a large corporation, not a church. It could use some world building.

You can assume that any lack of info is because that's how it is in the books. We've gotten a lot more than the book actually with all the "other world" stuff going on that was saved for later books. You're not missing out on anything because the journey is told through Lyra's perspective and she certainly doesn't understand the politics of her world or the Church. It's still a YA fiction book at the end of the day, but I could understand someone wanting a Game of Thrones style omniscient political take on the story and universe rather than sticking to the source material.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You can assume that any lack of info is because that's how it is in the books. We've gotten a lot more than the book actually with all the "other world" stuff going on that was saved for later books. You're not missing out on anything because the journey is told through Lyra's perspective and she certainly doesn't understand the politics of her world or the Church. It's still a YA fiction book at the end of the day, but I could understand someone wanting a Game of Thrones style omniscient political take on the story and universe rather than sticking to the source material.

What's in the books is irrelevant to me, I'm just talking about the show. Sticking to source material is not an excuse for bad storytelling.

Also it's not all from Lyra's perspective, we get plenty of scenes of Ruth Wilson and the world hopping dude. We also had scenes of the college master dude, and Lin Manuel Miranda, with no Lyra. The show is just picking and choosing what to reveal and leaving certain characters and storylines as one dimensional. Makes it hard to care about what's happening.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to take "He's without his daemon?!" seriously when half the scenes with the main character don't feature her daemon and most of the other characters usually don't have theirs visible. Have we even seen the King of the Egyptians's daemon? Or the bearded second-in-command guy? What about Billy's mother? I don't remember any of the already-captured kids' daemons being featured either.

Because of all this, a person not having his daemon nearby doesn't actually carry any weight. When the kid died in this episode it was kind of surprising because I expected him to recover.

Heck, even the dialogue in the show said that he died because he'd been wandering for a long time and that the stress of the journey is what got him. They didn't actually say that it was because his daemon was gone.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to take "He's without his daemon?!" seriously when half the scenes with the main character don't feature her daemon and most of the other characters usually don't have theirs visible. Have we even seen the King of the Egyptians's daemon? Or the bearded second-in-command guy? What about Billy's mother? I don't remember any of the already-captured kids' daemons being featured either.

Because of all this, a person not having his daemon nearby doesn't actually carry any weight. When the kid died in this episode it was kind of surprising because I expected him to recover.

Heck, even the dialogue in the show said that he died because he'd been wandering for a long time and that the stress of the journey is what got him. They didn't actually say that it was because his daemon was gone.

We've seen Lord Faa's hawk, Farder Coram's cat (it was in the funeral scene this episode as well), and Ma Costa also has a hawk (was hanging around the episode where her and Lyra were talking about Lyra's parents).

They are there. They're just not as prominent as they probably should be.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The way the show stages it makes it seem like some people have a daemon and some don't. Like, do all the washer women at the college have one? Where were they? Do all the ministry officers that stormed the Gyptian's boats have one, or just the one guy with the rottweiler?

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think this adaptation is doing a better job than the book of setting the stage for the later installments. They're fitting that context in by excising a lot of the expository background stuff (on daemon-human connections, etc.) that can be understood by simply paying attention to how characters act/react.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm still very confused by this Series. As a non-book-reader the whole world doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose, the world in the books is a lot better, so i would kinda like to see an animated series, where they can really go all out. Make those deamons a bit useful, and not just be a hindrance as they are in the series.

Daemons are more like...half your soul. They're not pets, they're a tangible manifestation of your heart, of your consciousness, and of yourself.

It's a fascinating concept. That's why if your daemon dies, you die.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Sooo some think the series explains too much and some it explains too little. Any non-book reader thinks it's just enough or are book lovers biased beyond repair ?!

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say at this point in the book, there is a huge amount of unexplained elements as well. So I think that's ok.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sooo some think the series explains too much and some it explains too little. Any non-book reader thinks it's just enough or are book lovers biased beyond repair ?!

I think it explains some things fine (daemons). I think the lack of explanation of other things (church motives) makes me not care about the story as much.

I like mysteries but the villains shouldn't be one dimensional caricatures like this.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
"One dimensional" is already not true for Mrs. Coulter and Lord Boreal, the 2 major Church-related characters. The clash between professional motives and personal ambitions is already questioned.

Moral ambiguity is not the only way to characterize your "villains", especially in the first episodes.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
CG animal is really good. Even doggy Pan

I'm glad the cliffhanger wasn't Lyra getting knock out

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Daemons are more like...half your soul. They're not pets, they're a tangible manifestation of your heart, of your consciousness, and of yourself.

It's a fascinating concept. That's why if your daemon dies, you die.
The way I understood it, a daemon isn't exactly half of your soul, it's distinct from that, instead, it's your spirit. Not your literal spirit animal (although that kinda fits), but I believe it's based off of yet another christian trinity of the "body, soul, and spirit". Your (mortal) body is what it is, it remains after you die. Your (immortal) soul is you, your memory, mind, personality, ie, your "self". Your spirit is a distinct entity which animates your soul in your body, like your "breath" of life. Because your soul is immortal, presumably it is what goes on to an afterlife, but your spirit is only with you in life, hence, daemons disappearing on death. It's what ties your soul to your body. Usually, the "spirit" is considered to be divine, at least in christian doctrine, ie, the holy spirit, and it is a temporary (and invisible/intangible) gift given from god to let your immortal soul live a mortal life in a physical body.

Anyway, draw from the above what you will, in terms of what (I believe) the story is trying to depict with daemons. As others have said, in the books, we still have many questions at this point, and things are about to become much clearer (I hope) in the next few episodes.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Me: I wonder how the show is going to subtly introduce Will over the course of season 1

Show: This is Will. He's as important as Lyra.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Overall, still liking the show - but I feel that little care in made is respect to constructing individuals episodes. As in events just happen one after another without any particular construction for the episode. Every week there is a scene which I feel should be the end of the episode... and then it continues on after. For example, really felt like this episode should have ended after Lyra is kidnapped.

And the real world scenes just don't fit in - they kind of completely take you out of the main adventure. I think it's a pretty bizarre decision to include them this season.

Anyway, LOVE Iorek - by far the most compelling character.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty great. Probably the most action packed episode and I rather enjoyed that. I guess we can't talk much about it until the Americans among us see it.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode. Brisk pace, great art direction and Serafina was bad ass. Loved it.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA

The first book was very much like this. It threw you into the world and expected you to just catch up on the go.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I can't even remember if i've watched last week's episode. That's how bored I am with this series. I really hope it gets better.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
More and more clear after the initial reservations of people that Ruth Wilson was excellent casting.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This show is a disappointment for me, unfortunately. The His Dark Materials books were very dear to me when I was around 12; the Amber Skyglass was the first piece of media to make me cry. Watching Watchmen at the same time is also highlighting the gulf in quality and care for the respective properties.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main problem of the show is that although is very truthful to the book, the emotional performances (Especially Lyra) are dreadful. The scenes are mostly like the books, but almost all of them fall flat when the characters have to act on them.

Series Lyra is mostly Book lyra, but holy fuck Dafne cant emote to save her life.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem of the show is that although is very truthful to the book, the emotional performances (Especially Lyra) are dreadful. The scenes are mostly like the books, but almost all of them fall flat when the characters have to act on them.

Series Lyra is mostly Book lyra, but holy fuck Dafne cant emote to save her life.
Could not disagree more tbh. All the kids are great.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Loving it so far.

Am I missing something, or do the dæmons keeps dissappearing. I realize they are probably rather expensive to have in shots, with the whole CGI/puppetry-thing going on, but I really do love having them around.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This episode is so dreary in visuals, so few colors, the lighting all the same - harsh. I love it, fits the tone of the story at the moment.

This asian guy playing the doctor or scientist, or whatever his profession is, was he in some other HBO show recently? He looks familiar.

Edit: whoa that was an intense scene, in the machine thingy

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Loving it so far.

Am I missing something, or do the dæmons keeps dissappearing. I realize they are probably rather expensive to have in shots, with the whole CGI/puppetry-thing going on, but I really do love having them around.
Unfortunately the show doesn't work well with so many daemons missing in a world full of them. Bolvanger should have had daemons everywhere in the cafeteria scene.