• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw the first episode and loved it. I've never read the books nor seen the movie. And I pretty much know nothing about them beyond what I saw in this first episode. I thought it was great, and I didn't think the world building was hard to follow at all.

Actually I may pick up the first book soon (once I finish Kings of the Wyld/Bloody Rose which I just started but can already tell I'm going to blow through).

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed in the episode 2 "reveal". It had a lot more impact when it came at the start of the second book.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up with episode 2. On its own terms, it was very good. Giving so much time and emphasis to Ruth Wilson definitely paying off.

Can't help but be a little sad at the early reveal of the window though. I love the way the multiple worlds are revealed in the books, and now that effect will be lost. It's not bad or anything, just a bit of a shame for me personally.

Also:
Given how willing they've been to chop and change things around already, I can't help but feel their solution to the problem of doing the Mulefa world on a TV budget will be to just not really do it. Alas, they are working with big money constraints so I can't fault them if that turns out to be the case, but I do so love that sub-plot.
Allusions to it already appear in the intro, they're definitely doing it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about how often they're shown, I was mostly good with it until they got on the airship.

I guess all those people just happened to have pocket sized ones.
Feels a lot better in the second episode, probably due to fewer crowd scenes. There were more daemons visible beyond the main characters'.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The second episode was great, my boyfriend knows nothing about the books or the film and I can see him really getting into it
He was shocked when Mrs Coulters Daemon attacked Pan, and he was stressing out when Lyra was in the study and nearly got caught, he also watched the intro this episode and went "it looks like there are multiple worlds or something, which he then found out to be true.
It's really fun watching him discover all this stuff for the first time. Makes me want to read the books again now that I'm older and supposedly smarter.

My only criticism of this episode is that they didnt explain about the distance humans can be away from their daemons, it was mentioned by Lyra but it didnt really have the impact it should have had in the scene because it's the first you hear of it. If it had been established in a flashback in the first episode or something it would have gone a long way to making the daemon related stuff this episode more interesting

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
The second episode was great, my boyfriend knows nothing about the books or the film and I can see him really getting into it
He was shocked when Mrs Coulters Daemon attacked Pan, and he was stressing out when Lyra was in the study and nearly got caught, he also watched the intro this episode and went "it looks like there are multiple worlds or something, which he then found out to be true.
It's really fun watching him discover all this stuff for the first time. Makes me want to read the books again now that I'm older and supposedly smarter.

My only criticism of this episode is that they didnt explain about the distance humans can be away from their daemons, it was mentioned by Lyra but it didnt really have the impact it should have had in the scene because it's the first you hear of it. If it had been established in a flashback in the first episode or something it would have gone a long way to making the daemon related stuff this episode more interesting

As someone who has never read the books nor watched the movie neither - can you explain the distance thing? When I heard that I was like...what? Why? What happens?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has never read the books nor watched the movie neither - can you explain the distance thing? When I heard that I was like...what? Why? What happens?
Being separated from your daemon causes intense physical pain, daemons have to stay very close to their masters.
There are... certain people with an exception to this

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Saw episode 2 yesterday, and I'm definitely hooked. The actress playing Lyra does really well, and the constant tension between her and Mrs Coulter was great.
Tbh, when Lyra kicked the compass infrustration, I missed her picking it up again, and I totally thought it was a set up for Mrs Coulter to find it later in the episode (which obviously didn't end up being the case).

Also thanks to everyone being considerate with the spoiler tags for book discussions!

I thought that was amazing!

And yeah, they're introducing some stuff from the second book early. Makes sense as:

Otherwise Lord Boreal appears briefly in the first series, fucks off for three quarters of it, and then suddenly reappears as a key character. Plus it allows you to introduce the windows early as you say.

Really enjoyed that, shaping up to be an amazing adaptation.
It's really nice that the people who read the books enjoy this series as well. Though I would enjoy it either way, it's nice to know it's a good adaption.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Saw episode 2 yesterday, and I'm definitely hooked. The actress playing Lyra does really well, and the constant tension between her and Mrs Coulter was great.
Tbh, when Lyra kicked the compass infrustration, I missed her picking it up again, and I totally thought it was a set up for Mrs Coulter to find it later in the episode (which obviously didn't end up being the case).

Also thanks to everyone being considerate with the spoiler tags for book discussions!

It's really nice that the people who read the books enjoy this series as well. Though I would enjoy it either way, it's nice to know it's a good adaption.

She was X-23 / Laura in Logan. I knew that kid had the chops. I even thought she was actually Hispanic she was so convincing.

I cracked a new bottle of top shelf rum. Getting my chili done ready for simmering. Ready for tonight's episode. Is anyone doing a live thread or is there not enough of us for something like that?

Last edited:

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
She was X-23 / Laura in Logan. I knew that kid had the chops. I even thought she was actually Hispanic she was so convincing.

I cracked a new bottle of top shelf rum. Getting my chili done ready for simmering. Ready for tonight's episode. Is anyone doing a live thread or is there not enough of us for something like that?
Nice, I still have to give Logan a watch sometime.

Aye, that definitely sounds like the way to watch it. Also I'm not sure how many fans this show has, but the thread does not move super fast, so I'm not sure if anyone's doing a live thread. My guess is that posting here is probably your best bet to discuss it.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
This was another great episode omg, its great im getting into this blind but whew yall werent lying some of the things they talk about are almost incomprehensible, so its a little hard to understand whats really going on. I like dafne keen alot shes very charming and present when im watching the show so it makes me a little iffy that in the upcoming episodes and seasons the "brother" of the first kid that got kidnapped is gonna be around alot, cause he is very meh as an actor and he took me out of some scenes when he delivers his lines, Lyras friend Roger is a MUCH better actor, he is very talented, that scene where he got ignored by Lyra was one of the best in the series hopefully we will see more of him.

As great as this show is i will say the editing can get very choppy and rushed idk whats going on there. Hopefully this is just a symptom of the show literally just starting and this just being the pilot and they get much better as time goes on.

Questions for those that know:
1. What is happening with the daemons, i love Lyras cutie but omg im so confused i thought he could only change his colors now he can become a whole different animal???? Was that a moth or a butterfly?

2: The journalist woman is she dead? Why on earth was her daemon flying around why didnt it just land on her shoulder, also was it a butterfly?? I thought they could only get mammals, does a future character have a fish or a whale? lmao
But honestly tho i dont understand the daemons.

3: I'm guessing Mrs coulter and Lyras dad were together at one point so spoil me is she Lyras mom??

:)

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This was another great episode omg, its great im getting into this blind but whew yall werent lying some of the things they talk about are almost incomprehensible, so its a little hard to understand whats really going on. I like dafne keen alot shes very charming and present when im watching the show so it makes me a little iffy that in the upcoming episodes and seasons the "brother" of the first kid that got kidnapped is gonna be around alot, cause he is very meh as an actor and he took me out of some scenes when he delivers his lines, Lyras friend Roger is a MUCH better actor, he is very talented, that scene where he got ignored by Lyra was one of the best in the series hopefully we will see more of him.

As great as this show is i will say the editing can get very choppy and rushed idk whats going on there. Hopefully this is just a symptom of the show literally just starting and this just being the pilot and they get much better as time goes on.

Questions for those that know:
1. What is happening with the daemons, i love Lyras cutie but omg im so confused i thought he could only change his colors now he can become a whole different animal???? Was that a moth or a butterfly?

2: The journalist woman is she dead? Why on earth was her daemon flying around why didnt it just land on her shoulder, also was it a butterfly?? I thought they could only get mammals, does a future character have a fish or a whale? lmao

3: I'm guessing Mrs coulter and Lyras dad were together at one point so spoil me is she Lyras mom??

:)
Children's daemons change animal form at will, they settle on a permanent form around puberty. They can be mostly any animal within reason (you're not going to see elephants or something), including insects or lizards. I'm not certain if she was meant to be dead or just unconscious, but when someone dies, their daemon disappears, so I assume she is not.
And yes, a character is mentioned in the books to have a fish daemon, and they live only at sea and can only come onto the dock or very edge of the coast (luckily that's where they're happiest, hence why it settled on a fish at all).

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still enjoying it, but I did have some small issues with that episode:

- The bits that aren't connected to Lyra I didn't think were very good, in general. Some acting/writing issues, but even with Boreal those scenes felt a little out of place. Not sure if introducing this plot now was a great idea.
- There are some issues with the editing/plotting, as when Lyra sees the unlocked elevator, then proceeds to take the fire escape - without presumably having seen that Boreal was taking the elevator. The kids also were portrayed as especially dim in that scene with Mrs. Coulter.
- Finally, about Lyra... The actress I still think is very good, but she came over as very naive and scared in this one. That's of course normal, being a kid and all, but I can't help but think some of the characteristics that made her such a great character in the books were missing. She's supposed to be brave (brazen, even?) and a natural liar, but that has yet to be demonstrated.
- And the scene that drove her out of the apartment was also slightly jarring. This random journalist knows everything about the GOB (=gobblers), what they do, and goes telling it all to Lyra in Mrs Coulter's own apartment? Afaik that isn't supposed to be public knowledge, is it?

I did very much enjoy the interactions between Lyra & Coulter though, as well as the daemons. In for the season, at least.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this show so far. The actors and great and so are the production values. Ruth Wilson as Mrs. Coulter is fantastic, dare I say even better than Nicole Kidman.

My only gripe with this episode is that they already revealed that the other world is our own. That was a big and cool plot twist at the beginning of the second book. Here, they kind of just showed it without making a big deal out of it. Not only that, but I feel like the scene wasn't that important. There are still many episodes left, so I guess we'll see where that goes. I just wish the reveal had been done with more weight.

Also, is anyone worried about the show not having the budget it would need to properly adapt the last book? It's been over 10 years since I read them, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the third book deal with
an all-out war between angels and humans? I remember angels in the sky fighting against planes and shit, with Metatron just fucking shit up.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I really like this show so far. The actors and great and so are the production values. Ruth Wilson as Mrs. Coulter is fantastic, dare I say even better than Nicole Kidman.

My only gripe with this episode is that they already revealed that the other world is our own. That was a big and cool plot twist at the beginning of the second book. Here, they kind of just showed it without making a big deal out of it. Not only that, but I feel like the scene wasn't that important. There are still many episodes left, so I guess we'll see where that goes. I just wish the reveal had been done with more weight.

Also, is anyone worried about the show not having the budget it would need to properly adapt the last book? It's been over 10 years since I read them, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the third book deal with
an all-out war between angels and humans? I remember angels in the sky fighting against planes and shit, with Metatron just fucking shit up.
I think they're greatly beefing up Lord Boreal's role to be main antagonist alongside Mrs. Coulter for the early part of the series.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are correct. My hope is that the show becomes popular enough that the budget gets a sizeable increase in the third season to account for what they'll need to do.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Read and enjoyed the books (but haven't read the third in at least 10 years), and liking the series so far. Unpopular opinion in this thread, but I'm not actually a big fan of Ruth Wilson as Coulter as I don't think she's seductive enough for it, but it is what it is. The actor for Asriel seems a bit weak as well, but we didn't even see him in the second episode so I'm willing to wait and see a bit. But overall a nice adaptation. Interesting to see the Lord Boreal storyline brought forward a bit - like others ITT I think it would have been stronger to save the "other worlds" storyline entirely for the second season but for TV show purposes I think it was fine to introduce it early.

Book question about Boreal...
Did he kill the journalist in the book? I don't remember that happening, I thought the journalist was basically just forced out of the party. Also, I didn't like the way she died because Boreal broke the #1 rule of daemons, which is that you don't touch another persons. From the way I remember the books, it sounded like literally no one EVER touched another persons, even in war, so it was surprising to see that.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

In the books, they explain that it is an unspoken law of people not touching other people's daemons. It's just not something that would be considered a risk. I'm not even sure what the analog would be in our world.

Book question about Boreal...
Did he kill the journalist in the book? I don't remember that happening, I thought the journalist was basically just forced out of the party. Also, I didn't like the way she died because Boreal broke the #1 rule of daemons, which is that you don't touch another persons. From the way I remember the books, it sounded like literally no one EVER touched another persons, even in war, so it was surprising to see that.

Someone definitely breaks that in the books, and I wanna say it's Boreal. I just read them too, but apparently don't remember enough.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2 episodes in, but this is one hell of a series. Not every single thing is clicking story wise for me (the Egyptians bits just seem out of place), but the overall acting is top notch and everything about the series, from the cinematography to the animations of the daemons, is reminiscent of a high end movie.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Yo is that old white guy with the beard that's with the black guys group that are searching for the children. Is he in game of thrones?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else wondering just how they're gonna pull off

the angels? From the book most of them except the super powerful ones like Metetron are almost transparent except at night. They're also naked. I wonder how close they can get it to the books without killing their budget.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Having read the books awhile ago, I wonder if me feeling like the pacing is off is just me comparing it to the books? How is this show doing for those who haven't read the books or have even heard about this series?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...there's only 8 episodes, correct? They need to get moving to get through all the material.

They've got a lot to get through in 6 more episodes.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

the angels? From the book most of them except the super powerful ones like Metetron are almost transparent except at night. They're also naked. I wonder how close they can get it to the books without killing their budget.
I can't imagine that's any more intensive CG wise than the daemons are every episode.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Watched the first 2 episodes, getting the itch to just read the novels now.

The gyptian plot line is whatever, director must think Lyla is Tom Cruise he has so many shots of her running, there's some continuity niggles like why didn't the kid recognize the evil lady, he was staring her straight in the face like 2 days earlier. None of these things detract from the show in a meaningful way. It's a beautiful, wonderful world. The show is smart. Well paced even if this week's episode felt compressed for it. Joy to watch.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
That monkey is an asshole.

I hope you're not a fan of bats.

I really hope they keep the male nudity. Watchmen has shown it can be done outside of a sexual context and it's very important to their characters.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first 2 episodes, getting the itch to just read the novels now.

The gyptian plot line is whatever, director must think Lyla is Tom Cruise he has so many shots of her running, there's some continuity niggles like why didn't the kid recognize the evil lady, he was staring her straight in the face like 2 days earlier. None of these things detract from the show in a meaningful way. It's a beautiful, wonderful world. The show is smart. Well paced even if this week's episode felt compressed for it. Joy to watch.
He did recognize her. He said so in his letter.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously not everything is perfect, but damn it is a high quality adaptation overall for now. Some changes seem strange but they should pay off in the long run.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Having read the books awhile ago, I wonder if me feeling like the pacing is off is just me comparing it to the books? How is this show doing for those who haven't read the books or have even heard about this series?

The pacing seems great to me - the only part that felt off was the bit where the journalist appeared out of nowhere to deliver an info dump to Lyra for no real apparent reason.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I still feel weird about the way they revealed "our world" after not even two episodes, but I'm willing to trust that it will be an interesting alternate take on it at least. It's just surprising to me because of how it's handled in the books:
by not just having the second book open into a strange different world, but with a whole different character's POV.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

I'm more worried about the

Weird animals that use nuts for wheels or something. I couldn't imagine how they would look when reading it, and thinking about it it can't not look dumb, right? :P

I remember very little from the books (read them over 10 years ago), but that has always stuck with me.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Really like the changes they've made so far. Book spoilers:

Will essentially becomes the co-protagonist of the trilogy the farther into it you get. It makes sense to get him into the story earlier.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I might have missed it, but i didn't really get a good sense of how the kidnapped kids went from being upset/traumatized to accepting their new situation and being all casual about their upcoming trip.

Otherwise i'm pretty into it, it's very intriguing so far.

Edit:

Also, can all daemons change from one animal to another, or is it just Lyra's? Is it somehow based on her emotions at the time, or what's the reasoning behind it?

they're kids.Give them food, shelter, and a good enough story and they'll believe anything. Hell, you can say there's an invisible man watching and they'll believe that until the day they die!

Sure, i just would have liked to have seen/heard the story they were fed to placate them.

Last edited:

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, can all daemons change from one animal to another, or is it just Lyra's?
All daemons belonging to kids can change their forms, and don't get locked in until they hit a certain age.

The Gyptian ceremony in the first episode was to celebrate a kid becoming old enough for his daemon to get locked into one set form.