• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.pcgamesn.com

Hollow Knight broke its all-time player record and no-one knows why

Hollow Knight broke its peak concurrent player count record on Steam, but why?

On August 5, Hollow Knight broke its all-time peak concurrent player count according to SteamDB, which now stands at 12,891. Player counts have been steadily rising since June, it seems, with the previous peak of 11,893 players appearing on June 24. Prior to June, the highest player count fell on April 2020 at 11,508 – which at least corresponded with Hollow Knight's appearance in the big charity Humble Bundle to fight coronavirus.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
What a wonderful game. Deserves all the continued success. Silksong will be worth the wait!

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
utterly superb game, up there with the best i've ever played. i really need to go back and play the DLC.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This has been happening for a while, the average peak numbers just keep steadily rising.

iD3GrVY.png

Sales increased a lot at the end of 2019.

Ptj1XmB.png

Back in february 2019 the overall sales were at 2.8M according to Team Cherry.

Right now SteamDB has it between 5-12M based on reviews. And there's still Switch and the other consoles.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
A handful of popular twitch streamers began doing playthroughs. That's all it takes these days.
It´s kinda sad. I mean...it`s good for the popularity of the game and all. But it`s sad, streamers seem to have so much power (we`ve seen this also with Final Fantasy 14 recently).

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It´s kinda sad. I mean...it`s good for the popularity of the game and all. But it`s sad, streamers seem to have so much power (we`ve seen this also with Final Fantasy 14 recently).

Better than platform holders having the power. They'll be the one pushing the $70 games to you

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
Sales wise, at least in the us eShop, I think hollow knight has hardly if ever left the top download only charts sense it's launch. It's quite impressive

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I love Super Metroid and Ori, but something about Hollow Knight didnt click with me. Maybe I should give it a shot

Oct 29, 2017
I love Super Metroid and Ori, but something about Hollow Knight didnt click with me. Maybe I should give it a shot
It was the exact same situation for me; I love super metroid and both ori games, but hollow knight didn't click with me either until I gave it a good chance. It's now right up there with the others as one of the metroidvania GOATs.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a ballpark for Switch and PS4 sales (excluding PS+)?

Only definitive figures we have are about 3 million sold total, 1 million on PC before console launch, 250k in switch's first 2 weeks.

But that was in 2019, so it's probably climbed a decent amount since then.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It was the exact same situation for me; I love super metroid and both ori games, but hollow knight didn't click with me either until I gave it a good chance. It's now right up there with the others as one of the metroidvania GOATs.
I don't think I liked the movement and/or the combat. But ya, will definitely give it a fair shot again

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Very solid game. Good to see its back in the spotlight. Think it sometimes is a bit too big and bloated for its own good, and the similarity of environments can really do a disservice to parts of the game, but it's an absolute feat for the small team that made it. Lovely art style and combat and exploration is a lot of fun.

Jun 2, 2019
Hollow Knight is an amazing game of a higher quality than even those that gave the genre its name. It certainly set the bar too high for others. I still can't believe that such a small studio was capable of accomplishing such a feat. The game totally deserves its success and I can't wait for Silksong!

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I'm always torn between this, Half Life Alyx and Outer Wilds as best game of last gen... It is a truly remarkable game and I'm glad that more people are playing it. It feels to me like the natural endpoint of what a metroidvania can hope to achieve!

Sep 22, 2019
I have given this game 3 chances, but it has never grabbed me... made it far up to 60% completion according to a guide, and yet I never enjoyed the exploration mechanics or combat. I wish I could see what you guys see in it :(

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Truly phenomenal game that deserves every bit of success that it receives.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the greatest games ever made. An instant classic in world building and world design. Let the good word of mouth continue on…

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has been happening for a while, the average peak numbers just keep steadily rising.

iD3GrVY.png

Sales increased a lot at the end of 2019.

Ptj1XmB.png

Back in february 2019 the overall sales were at 2.8M according to Team Cherry.

Right now SteamDB has it between 5-12M based on reviews. And there's still Switch and the other consoles.

So basically the momentum increase gradually, then drastically since end 2019. Considering the increase isn't a suddenly spike I think its fair to say the reason isn't really due to streamers (though they play a part), but just merely positive words of mouth and reviews which lead to the exposure.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have given this game 3 chances, but it has never grabbed me... made it far up to 60% completion according to a guide, and yet I never enjoyed the exploration mechanics or combat. I wish I could see what you guys see in it :(
I think the world and its atmosphere either grabs you or it doesn't. It's a game that requires a lot of patience and if you don't feel immersed in its world then I can imagine that being a tough ask.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I liked the movement and/or the combat. But ya, will definitely give it a fair shot again
I just beat the game for the first time a few weeks ago after bouncing off it numerous times. There is some bad pacing at the start in terms of ability and movement unlocks that really hamper the first 5ish hours of the game as you are wandering around. It is a game that actively feels more natural every time you get a new movement ability. I think it's a very legitimate gripe.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So basically the momentum increase gradually, then drastically since end 2019. Considering the increase isn't a suddenly spike I think its fair to say the reason isn't really due to streamers (though they play a part), but just merely positive words of mouth and reviews which lead to the exposure.

Yeah I assume that's the case, mostly wom.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
Well of course TC isn't dropping Silksong, they don't want to overshadow Hollow Knight

(The Nintendo OT ruined me)

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the game for the first time a few weeks ago after bouncing off it numerous times. There is some bad pacing at the start in terms of ability and movement unlocks that really hamper the first 5ish hours of the game as you are wandering around. It is a game that actively feels more natural every time you get a new movement ability. I think it's a very legitimate gripe.
While the game is the best metroidvana and it shames every that came before and after it does have the issue of starting you off without a legit movement option. It really should have had dash as a standard ability.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

What you think is sad, is for some devs the only way to get eyes on their games.
And its not even a sure thing. Many big and small devs ruined their studio financially or ruined the perception of their game with bad influencer campaigns. There was this one DnD game recently that pumped millions into sponsored streams to play their alpha/beta version of the game. It was catastrophic for the games perception.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the announcement of Metroid Dread could have contributed to this in part as well. The announcement could have led to an increase in interest across the genre, and Hollow Knight is presently the king of metroidvanias. Completely by coincidence, I've been discussing Metroid, Hollow Knight, and other metroidvanias with a few friends on Discord and happened to look up a GDQ run for HK just the other day.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
God-tier exploration, art, music, combat, and amount of content, all for $15 MSRP.