• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
It's a $60 game in a $15 package.

I bought Runner3 at launch for a rather odd price of £20.22 (15% off £23.79) and I actually wince at the fact that I paid that much for a mostly mediocre game when I genuinely wish I could have paid that price for Hollow Knight instead...

Team Cherry may have taken a bit longer to get this up and running on the Switch than we had hoped they would, but it is easily the best indie game I have played on the Switch thus far, and I have played the likes of Celeste, Golf Story, Stardew Valley and SteamWorld Dig 2!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The trick for the big guys is to deal one hit at a time. Basically wait till they hit/land, jump close, hit midair and already pull back before you land, rinse and repeat. Takes a while but otherwise pretty easy. Like so:

Excuse the quality but I had to improvise.

Not the same fight though. :) Same enemy yes, but this one remains stationary and has a predictable ground wave to hop in on. The one I am referring to is moving and presses you, it also jumps backward before doing the wave attack making the above pattern very difficult to land.

You can definitely kill him without upgrades. If you stand still he won't get close enough to hit you with the club. So just stand still, wait for him to jump back, jump forward, him once, back up stand still and repeat.

He's just a normal (albeit harder) enemy, not even a mini boss.

Yea, like I said above, that was my pattern, but the sheer number of hits was a bit absurd before human error crept in(his bounce back during the ground-wave strike made whiffing certain swipes very easy to do). Basically the pattern was prolonged to the point that I was questioning the route and was concerned given I was concerned this was the only path forward.

This argument has grown well beyond my intent anyway. Don't conflate that I am saying its impossible, just that it left a slightly soured experience in my first hour as I was unaware a more reasonable path existed south. I exhausted all paths except that vertical door to the cartographer that I somehow missed is all. Left me slightly concerned I was forced to brute force a very tedious and prolonged pattern on that "not boss" in hour 1.

Let's move on please, I like the game and breathed a sigh of relief once I found that cartographer path, this was a throwaway thought made for first impressions, I kind of now regret even stating. :)

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
8 hours in and this game captures that sense of exploration and discovery better than any Metroidvania since at least Symphony of the Night. I thought I was burned out on the genre after feeling luke-warm about Axiom Verge, but no, it turns out Axiom Verge was just kind of mediocre.

Not to shit on Axiom Verge too much, because it's fine, but it really exemplifies the kind of design choices that sap the genre of its potency. In Axiom Verge, there is at any given moment exactly one correct path that does not immediately terminate in a dead-end holding an uninteresting upgrade. This turns exploration into a rote, algorithmic kind of process -- you get a new upgrade, and then you just check each spot on the map where your route was blocked until you find the right one. Hollow Knight, on the other hand, does it right -- after the first few hours, at any given moment I've had multiple potential avenues for investigation, and instead of all but one being a perfunctory dead end, each one is surprising, exciting, and rewarding.

On top of that, the game has absolutely top-notch mechanics and level design. At first I was put off by the complete lack of momentum and perfect air control, but the game really makes you take advantage of that precision.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I'll need to see a video of someone accomplishing this then, because I tried many times(thinking I was on the critical path before discovering the cartographer) and outside of the brief respite when he does his ground wave, the window was too tight to juke-in for hits between slams.

Remember in this game that you have perfect air control. Jump away from him as he's bringing his club down, veer back towards him mid-air to land the hit, and repeat. It takes a bit of practice but it's doable.

Edit: Lol, sorry, didn't see the cease and desist order above!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Remember in this game that you have perfect air control. Jump away from him as he's bringing his club down, veer back towards him mid-air to land the hit, and repeat. It takes a bit of practice but it's doable.

Edit: Lol, sorry, didn't see the cease and desist order above!

No problem, re-watching the video, I kind of see the solution now. I think as mentioned I wasn't taking advantage of air-control properly(understandable given this is like the beginning as stated by others). Either way, I''ll keep this in mind as I face them next time.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
New player here! Do any veterans have any advice for newbies? Love the atmosphere of the game but I'm finding myself getting a bit annoyed by walking for 10 minutes and getting my ass kicked by a boss and having to repeat the process. Knowing me I'm likely to get burned out on the game at the rate I'm going. Any tips or tricks for new players would be greatly appreciated : )

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
New player here! Do any veterans have any advice for newbies? Love the atmosphere of the game but I'm finding myself getting a bit annoyed by walking for 10 minutes and getting my ass kicked by a boss and having to repeat the process. Knowing me I'm likely to get burned out on the game at the rate I'm going. Any tips or tricks for new players would be greatly appreciated : )

Most bosses should have a bench nearby to minimise the boss run. Which boss are you bouncing off?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Do more exploring and find a closer bench. They're usually near boss rooms.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I bought Runner3 at launch for a rather odd price of £20.22 (15% off £23.79) and I actually wince at the fact that I paid that much for a mostly mediocre game when I genuinely wish I could have paid that price for Hollow Knight instead...

Team Cherry may have taken a bit longer to get this up and running on the Switch than we had hoped they would, but it is easily the best indie game I have played on the Switch thus far, and I have played the likes of Celeste, Golf Story, Stardew Valley and SteamWorld Dig 2!

Agreed. Its above celeste and steamworld dig 2 for me. For 15 bucks its a steal.

I think this is THE best indie game i ever played.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed completely. I've played all the games you listed, love 'em all, but this is on a completely different level. Incredible game.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Not the same fight though. :) Same enemy yes, but this one remains stationary and has a predictable ground wave to hop in on. The one I am referring to is moving and presses you, it also jumps backward before doing the wave attack making the above pattern very difficult to land.

If you're going at it, it will barely move at all. Its movements are basically going back a bit with the wave slam or trying to close the gap between the two of you. Stay in reach and move away from the club and immediately jump back at it with an attack. Once you get the timing it's super easy.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going at it, it will barely move at all. Its movements are basically going back a bit with the wave slam or trying to close the gap between the two of you. Stay in reach and move away from the club and immediately jump back at it with an attack. Once you get the timing it's super easy.

Gotcha, I'll keep in mind as I face them in the future. I maybe was being aggressive with baiting his ground slam and waiting for the window to leap in when the wave was coming, instead of doing what the video shows.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another big session last night... not sure how much time I've racked up so far, but whoo boy is this game good.

Incredibly charming, really fun to play, really consistent world, every new area feels really unique and drips with atmosphere. But y'all already know that.

One thing that I will point out is that every new NPC I meet I am excited to hear the noise they make. I never get tired of going into Cornifer's wife's shop (apologies I can't remember her name at the moment) and hearing her say "Ba-pa-na-da", which, when I type it out sounds dumb but it's so damned charming.

I have two gripes, and only one of them is the game's fault.

The platforming is inconsistent.
-- When they layer something over the platform I can't see when I need to jump.
-- There are far too many blind jumps (partially my fault, I know you can get the screen to move up an down a bit by holding up\down a-la Super Mario World)
-- Floating platforms in the middle of nowhere not connected to structure. Just irks me when the game is so good at building it's world otherwise.
The Switch sticks seem to give me far too many missed inputs (slashing in front instead of up\down when jumping), but I'm making due.
-- It's begging for a d-pad.

derwalde

Oct 28, 2017
ResetEra pls help me. Im so lost right now. Just saved a guy in a hidden cave from spiders. Afterwards i was at the failed tramway. No im sitting in a hot spring in deepnest. I WANT TO GET OUT :*(

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Just played for about an hour or so.

Got killed by a boss called False Knight, beat a boss called Mother or something. Very cool game so far.

I am enjoying this. It feels so good and has such a cool atmosphere.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I went back to the first area and discovered an optional boss, but he's tough:
Mawlek. Big bug that throws bomb barrages.
I'm using the shield skill, but this guy seems to have a lot of health. Better to come back later or should he be doable now?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

I completely agree. The pantheon of Diamond Class eShop games are: Celeste, Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Overcooked!

This definitely belongs up there with all of them.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god this game. There's so much everything, and it's everywhere. I just checked a corner of a wall at a dead end it turned out to be a secret passage leading to an entirely new area. I'm thinking about where to go next and it's literally giving me vertigo.

-- When they layer something over the platform I can't see when I need to jump.
-- There are far too many blind jumps (partially my fault, I know you can get the screen to move up an down a bit by holding up\down a-la Super Mario World)

This tho. And I also sometimes have trouble spotting doorways because they are so dark. The game is occasionally too richly detailed for its own good.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
ResetEra pls help me. Im so lost right now. Just saved a guy in a hidden cave from spiders. Afterwards i was at the failed tramway. No im sitting in a hot spring in deepnest. I WANT TO GET OUT :*(

I'm guessing you're pretty far in the game if you've reached that, It's my first time playing and I've just been through that area, wasn't so tough, but I did have the lamp. You can head west from the hotspring until you reach a web cocoon-like area, it's a little tough going in that direction, but you'll find the stag station.
Otherwise head up and just take it slow.

derwalde

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing you're pretty far in the game if you've reached that, It's my first time playing and I've just been through that area, wasn't so tough, but I did have the lamp. You can head west from the hotspring until you reach a web cocoon-like area, it's a little tough going in that direction, but you'll find the stag station.

No im not. I just played for roughly 2.5 hrs. ;*(

West it is then.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the shield skill, but this guy seems to have a lot of health. Better to come back later or should he be doable now?

I beat him before getting any upgrades, but it was rough. I ended up just tanking a bunch of his attacks.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

So the gameplay loop in this game is explore, find the guy that sells the map of the area, then explore some more, till you mapped everything in an area. Meanwhile there are designed stops in the form of benches. Use those to update the map and save your progress. You also need the bench to change charms.

Certain charms are better for combat, while other charms are better for exploration. After beating bosses (small, mid or big ones) you'll be able to progress further.

In Dirtmouth there's a shop that sells map pins, which are helpful icons that show up on the map. Think shops, benches and stations.

As for overcoming bosses. It's one part recognizing boss patterns and one part moving well and for some also one part being lucky. You will be able to get better moves and abilities that give you an edge in battle and that grant you access to new places you couldn't reach before (like metroid). There's also ways to upgrade your attacks, health, amount of charms you can carry etc. So exploration will reward you in battle.

It might be tough in the beginning getting used to the game, but if you can hang on it will be very satisfying going through all the different bosses.

This game is best approached as a metroid game infused with souls.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this on switch and expected to be sucked in right away. But to be honest it hasn't happened yet. I think I beat the first boss before I quit for today.

Hopefully this picks up for me...

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

lmao

Sorry for laughing but I went there quite early in my first run and then wanted to get out because I had so much geo but I was super deep and it was actually stressing, I ended up finding some kind of shortcut for the greenpath iirc by going all the way up.

Since you are in the hotspring, if my memory isn't failing me if you go somewhere to your right you'll find a area with narrow corridors (almost a labyrinth) and a lot of those big centipede things, I think if you try to go all the way to the right and down you'll be able to get out of there.

He's optional, you can ignore it for now if you want. He's doable though he's defintely much easier once you have a certain ability.

Actually you can go there quite early.

I went there even before beating Soul Master iirc, after dealing with the Mantis I farmed enough geo to buy the lantern and went on and adventure. Super stressing lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is one of the best games I have ever played, and easily the best Metroidvania. I am absolutely floored that this was made by such a small team, I have no idea how this was possible.

The mechanics, the visuals, the music, the atmosphere, the story, the lore, the level design, the content density, the enemy design, the enemy variety... if you had told me this was an AAA game made by 600 people I wouldn't have doubted you for a moment.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is awesome glad i waited.
Dat 60 fps it's buttersmooth i love it!
Game looks awesome to booth in handheld!

Seriously one of the best indie spends ever.
Only 15 bucks yeah get this if ya habent already.

Think this must be one of the best kickstarter success stories ever.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this on switch and expected to be sucked in right away. But to be honest it hasn't happened yet. I think I beat the first boss before I quit for today.

Hopefully this picks up for me...

It didn't fully click for me until a bit after beating the second boss. Up till that point it feels like a pretty standard Metroidvania but shit opens waaaaaay up.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Haha I know that feeling. Both me and a buddy that played the game wandered in to that area with way to much geo and then got lost. It did not end well.

The only advice I can give is to keep moving forward, and take it slow. Lots of things that want you dead around there, and they pop up everywhere around you lol.

Good luck.

Flavor Savior

Dec 28, 2017
Arkham, Massachusetts
Even though I've already completed the game multiple times on the PC, I'm so glad to have the game on the Switch; Team Cherry really did a bang-up job with this port. The smooth frame rate along with the parallaxing and depth-of-field blur on the backgrounds, the small touches like the dust kicked up by the player character's feet and the expertly-integrated HD rumble, it all makes me feel like I'm controlling an animated diorama in the palm of my hand.

A metroidvania masterpiece finally makes it to handhelds. I can't wait for the Gods and Glory expansion and the Hornet campaign.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
oh man fucking Beast´s Den...first i am running around Deepnest for 45 minutes, then i think "cool a way out" just to land in the Beast´s Den -.-

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started this on PC today and have played for some hour. The initial atmosphere and experience is superb, but the game already feels rather stale to me. Will it change?

I just beat the Hornet boss, the "end" (not really) of the second area you reach. In other words, it's not far as all. I've seen an image of the whole map before and I really worry about the game's length. I really like metroidvanias, so it bugs me.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
I started this on PC today and have played for some hour. The initial atmosphere and experience is superb, but the game already feels rather stale to me. Will it change?

I just beat the Hornet boss, the "end" (not really) of the second area you reach. In other words, it's not far as all. I've seen an image of the whole map before and I really worry about the game's length. I really like metroidvanias, so it bugs me.
Yea you're still early in the game, exploring is part of the game

Flavor Savior

Dec 28, 2017
Arkham, Massachusetts
The game opens up a lot more by the time you get your second mobility upgrade. I would encourage you to stick with it and continue exploring naturally, as the first couple of hours are generally slower-paced and more linear when compared to the mid-to-late game.

Status
Not open for further replies.