• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foldedpencil

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can't beat the damn watchers. It's the first time I've been fully stopped. I have the nail upgraded twice but they keep wrecking me. I did the chandelier trick but it doesn't help when they kill me after I beat two of them at most. I was feeling good about my skills but this makes me feel like I'll never win. Shit.

I also got wrecked by them. Now I have a fully upgraded Nail and am trying to get up the courage to try again. I also had trouble with Hornet...

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. I'm having a really hard time with him. I get his moves, but the two masks worth of damage are really killing me. Maybe I should fully upgrade my nail all the way first.
he can very easily be cheesed if you have the charm that spawns little spiders. just stick to the wall and they take care of him.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I can't beat the damn watchers. It's the first time I've been fully stopped. I have the nail upgraded twice but they keep wrecking me. I did the chandelier trick but it doesn't help when they kill me after I beat two of them at most. I was feeling good about my skills but this makes me feel like I'll never win. Shit.

Damn, did not know about the chandelier trick, just checked on youtube.

I beat it after maybe 6 tries the hard way.

My survival kit :
  • Quick focus
  • Grubsong
  • Shape of Unn
  • Weaversong (these guys help a lot!!)
  • Spore shroom
  • Defender's crest (for a big fat fart cloud in combo with spore shroom when healing)
I basically take me time surviving the boss, with weaversongs dealing damage little by little, if i get hit, i heal for a huge fart cloud that damages them a lot.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I also got wrecked by them. Now I have a fully upgraded Nail and am trying to get up the courage to try again. I also had trouble with Hornet...
The Watchers are painful but I felt like a god when I beat Hornet
the second time. I felt like I'd entered the matrix, my dodging skills became so honed in that fight. Really fun boss, took me an hour and a half.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

My survival kit :
  • Quick focus
  • Grubsong
  • Shape of Unn
  • Spore shroom
  • Defender's crest (for a big fat fart cloud in combo with spore shroom when healing)
I basically take me time surviving the boss, with weaversongs dealing damage little by little, if i get hit, i heal for a huge fart cloud that damages them a lot.

+1 for fart cloud and quick focus. That's also my go to.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, and it's as hard as Celeste?

I wouldn't even compare them. I'm near the end of the game and the challenging platforming sections have been optional. The bosses are the hardest part but they're all pattern-based, if you've played a few Metroid-style games before you should have too many issues.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

My survival kit :
  • Quick focus
  • Grubsong
  • Shape of Unn
  • Spore shroom

I have none of these things, lol. Did I miss everything? Lol. I'd love to upgrade my nail a third time but I need another pale ore.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My recommendation for harder bosses is don't move so much, try not to jump if you don't have to and wait them out for a good hit.

For Watcher Knights in particular, since it's so hard to heal, make sure to hit both of them with your vengeful spirit (hadouken) with one blast.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The last 2% is killing me.

I refuse to not do Nightmare King Grimm. He is easily the hardest boss in the game. The 2 heart damage feels like overkill when his moves are already fast and there's limited time to hit him. Super cool boss though.
Oh and Trial of the Fool is a special kind of hell. I did pretty well, but got to the section where you need to wall jump because there's spikes on the bottom with no platforms. I had low life and wasn't expecting it so I fumbled hard

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I've begun the path to 100% by getting every Charm and Charm Notch and
Holy fuck there's a whole separate bee kingdom with a backstory of wanting to stay isolated and it looks so cool and there's a cute bee knight and holy shit Hiveblood is a good ability

So now I ask 2 questions

1) How do you get to the DLC content area where
you can make the fragile charms unbreakable?
Give me cryptic and then more obvious clues if possible.

2) What is your favourite charm build?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I refuse to not do Nightmare King Grimm. He is easily the hardest boss in the game. The 2 heart damage feels like overkill when his moves are already fast and there's limited time to hit him. Super cool boss though.
Oh and Trial of the Fool is a special kind of hell. I did pretty well, but got to the section where you need to wall jump because there's spikes on the bottom with no platforms. I had low life and wasn't expecting it so I fumbled hard

What charms are you using?

I've begun the path to 100% by getting every Charm and Charm Notch and
Holy fuck there's a whole separate bee kingdom with a backstory of wanting to stay isolated and it looks so cool and there's a cute bee knight and holy shit Hiveblood is a good ability

So now I ask 2 questions

1) How do you get to the DLC content area where
you can make the fragile charms unbreakable?
Give me cryptic and then more obvious clues if possible.

2) What is your favourite charm build?

1) Somewhere in Howling Cliffs.

2) I prioritize quick healing and fast melee. Though spellcasting is really good with the right charms.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Im at 95% I need 3 more mask shards.

Seems I saved before a boss?
Im inside the black egg and saved in a bench

Is the game ending? I only have 1200 essence, should I go for the dream bosses before the end boss? I read something about there being more than one ending.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Im at 95% I need 3 more mask shards.

Seems I saved before a boss?
Im inside the black egg and saved in a bench

Is the game ending? I only have 1200 essence, should I go for the dream bosses before the end boss? I read something about there being more than one ending.
go for it, once you have everything for the other endings you can't do the bad ending (and it's achievement anymore)
if you do the bad ending first you can still get all the other ones no problem.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Trial of Fools was better as a caster, just shoot everything dead, especially at the no ground part

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
go for it, once you have everything for the other endings you can't do the bad ending (and it's achievement anymore)
if you do the bad ending first you can still get all the other ones no problem.
Thanks will do!

Game is really great still loving it. Did the abyss.and royal waterways bosses. Now only crystal and queen bosses left.

Trial of fools is difficult?

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and I'll tell you, I've been gaming seriously for 25 years throughout every console released, and Hollow Knight now stands in my top 10 of all time.

It's just so well crafted in every sense and this came out of the mind of two guys!!? Jeez I can't comprehend such creativity. As I was witnessing credits rolling I paid attention to the number of people involved and they are not too many.

Incredible masterpiece. Thank you Team Cherry.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and I'll tell you, I've been gaming seriously for 25 years throughout every console released, and Hollow Knight now stands in my top 10 of all time.

It's just so well crafted in every sense and this came out of the mind of two guys!!? Jeez I can't comprehend such creativity. As I was witnessing credits rolling I paid attention to the number of people involved and they are not too many.

Incredible masterpiece. Thank you Team Cherry.
I really want a post mortem on this game. I have to imagine a lot of these ideas they've had for a really long time, it's just so dense.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So, credits rolling, I think I finished it?

Edit: Yeah, that was the final boss, God I'm getting old, this was TOO difficult for me I think I'm going to call it quits and leave it to 80% done.

This game is up there with Super Metroid for me, which is saying A LOT, I hope Nintendo takes note of HK for the next 2D Metroid.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
So, credits rolling, I think I finished it?

Edit: Yeah, that was the final boss, God I'm getting old, this was TOO difficult for me I think I'm going to call it quits and leave it to 80% done.

This game is up there with Super Metroid for me, which is saying A LOT, I hope Nintendo takes note of HK for the next 2D Metroid.
There's a true ending and final boss that you should definitely do.

Pre-reqs if you don't want to try and find it yourself:
If you haven't already you need to do the Hornet boss in Kingdom's Edge to get an item (that then lets you get shadow dash).
Have to find two halves of a charm, one is from behind a shadow wall in Queen's Gardens, the other is from the White Palace you can access with the upgraded dream nail with 1800 essence.
Once you have both halves take them to the abyss and see the stuff there, then go back to the final boss.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Guys I have a question regarding progression but I don't know how to use the spoiler tag, someone help?

EDIT nvm :)

I got to the third Hornet fight but I was stuck for so long I ended up looking for help and read that I actually missed the double jump upgrade as well as the super dash. I've since beat Hornet and went to the Abyss and got the Shade Dash. Where do I find those other upgrades and what's my next objective?

Thanks!

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There's a true ending and final boss that you should definitely do.

Pre-reqs if you don't want to try and find it yourself:
If you haven't already you need to do the Hornet boss in Kingdom's Edge to get an item (that then lets you get shadow dash).
Have to find two halves of a charm, one is from behind a shadow wall in Queen's Gardens, the other is from the White Palace you can access with the upgraded dream nail with 1800 essence.
Once you have both halves take them to the abyss and see the stuff there, then go back to the final boss.

I tried the Hornet Boss a couple times and the Traitor Lord but could not beat them and got a little bit frustrated

I'll attempt the real ending after a break, I feel drained.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else racking up some serious playtime hours?

I'm at 60 and I think I'm right at the end game:

Wanna get the final piece of Pale Ore and then take on the Dream Champions and the White Palace before beating the game (going to Black Egg).

I've been trying my best to really fill out the map and explore.

Havent touched any DLC either, at least I think

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sorry, I didn't remember the lady with the needle was called the Hornet, haha.

I thought you were talking about the boss in
The Hive
, I have not beaten that one yet.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Ok so you've done Hornet.

All you need is traitor lord + white palace then.

Though I'd recommend doing that Hive boss (he's not very hard) for a charm that'll make your life much easier in white palace.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
106%.
Just trial of the fool left now. I managed to get to the end but I was just sloppy at that point. Died kinda fast. Having maxed out grimmchild to just do some support dps is fun.
Current charms I'm using are nailmaster's glory+grimmchild+dreamshield (mainly to help the floor is death section)+unbreakable strength+steady body.
Just sticking to the playstyle of charge slash. It beat Nightmare King, it can beat a bunch of fools.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I 107% completed this game (including PoP) with I think about 46 hours put into it, and have now moved onto other games (until G&G comes out).

Awesome experience. It might sound strange, but I really can't remember ever being so engrossed or immersed in a 2D game world before. The atmosphere, art, story, characters and music all combine so perfectly to create this mysterious, melancholy adventure that had me completely addicted. The OST especially makes such a difference to this game, honestly one of my favourite game soundtracks. Christopher Larkin did an incredible job, beautiful music that can be enjoyed outside the game, but also ties in, fits and adds to the game perfectly.

As for the gameplay, it doesn't really do anything super unique that stands out, but it just does everything very well. The charm system is really cool and reminds me of the badge system in the older Paper Mario games. Some of the charm effects were even the same as some badge effects in PM. Besides a couple of times I got stuck and frustrated (a couple of bosses and PoP), I loved every minute.

Sad the experience is over, wish there was more Hallownest for me to explore! Looking forward to Gods and Glory and will definitely be very interested in whatever new projects Team Cherry take on in the future. Hollow Knight is the best eshop game on switch and up there with Zelda and Mario as one of the best experiences on the console.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Boy that boss that rolls and there's two of them where you have to be fighting two constantly is tough.

One thing I feel I'm missing is the upgraded "firepower".

Where's the person that sells more notches? Can't remember.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Jesus this platforming section in the greenpath is kicking my ass. Trying to hit these flies and dash between them is tough as hell

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Got to what I think is the path to the end, cleaning up the map, and then something teases what has to be so much more.

This game just gives and gives and gives. I'm pretty confident I'm ready to lay some sacred cows that bear the genre's name at the altar of Hollow Knight.

2 questions:

How essential is the
Colesseum
? I figured it was similar to other games and am leaving it for the end.

How does DLC work? Is it integrated - like have I been playing it? Or does it open up post-game?

Boy that boss that rolls and there's two of them where you have to be fighting two constantly is tough.

One thing I feel I'm missing is the upgraded "firepower".

Where's the person that sells more notches? Can't remember.

That fight gave me hell. What worked for me was staying in the center if I could, and keeping them both on the same side. The notch vendor is at the bottom right of the first area.

Status
Not open for further replies.