• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game feels too big. Just discovered the
Pleasure House
on the way to a bench and am afraid I will forget where it is before continuing the next time I want to play. I was already forgetting where I was going...

Just got the
Isma's Tear
and this game seems endless at the moment.
buy the map markers and if you find something that interests you just put a marker on it to remind you to come back later.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll check it out.

This geo is burning a hole in my pocket. When I visited the grub nest for the first time in a long while and the grandfatherly one was paying me for a bunch of rescues, I was like "ahhh stop paying me I'm probably just gonna lose this moneyy" lol.

This isn't a story spoiler or anything, more like a mild merchant-type spoiler, but if you're really worried about the money,
there is a bank that you can deposit it in right outside of the Fungal Wastes. I'll give you the exact location in a second spoiler if you want to get that much detail:
From the main vertical room of Queen's Station, exit the screen at the top left into Fog Canyon and just go one more screen to the left. There is a sign pointing the way.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly do not mind you telling me where I can find 'one of those'!

I feel like I have exhausted Deep Nest though ~ I have got the mask, the tram ticket and found the slightly hidden
weavers nest too.

To the left of the hot spring room. There's a breakable wall on the left side. Follow that and keep going until you get to what you want.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
did they really have to make you fight the hollow knight every single timw you die against the radiance

fucking annoying

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah!! Damn good feeling right? My wife was laughing at me celebrating. I took about ten screenshots of the completed boss room, lol.
I was in bed last night and tried probably 10 more times nad died constantly - was screaming "FUCK" every time I died and my wife mocked me.

SHE CAN'T MOCK ME NOW!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a story spoiler or anything, more like a mild merchant-type spoiler, but if you're really worried about the money,
there is a bank that you can deposit it in right outside of the Fungal Wastes. I'll give you the exact location in a second spoiler if you want to get that much detail:
From the main vertical room of Queen's Station, exit the screen at the top left into Fog Canyon and just go one more screen to the left. There is a sign pointing the way.
Thanks for the layered spoilers. I only read the first one, and will check it out.

Deleted member 11104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the Switch version for a few days, really loving it. Will I run into DLC content in my first playthrough? I would like to save the DLC until after I've completed the main game atleast (if that makes sense)

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the Switch version for a few days, really loving it. Will I run into DLC content in my first playthrough? I would like to save the DLC until after I've completed the main game atleast (if that makes sense)

as I understand, it's through all the world, they added secret areas and bosses and even changed things from the world with the DLCs, so I'm sure if it can even be avoided

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
What were some of your biggest failures, missteps, dudes?

1. For ~15 hours I didn't know you can bounce off spikes, in part because I missed the one Grub room that makes that very obvious. When I was away from home I decided to watch some blind walk-through for fun and saw the dude figure that out basically immediately and had a major facepalm.
  2. I forgot about the locked room after beating the Mantis Challenge and didn't collect the 'Mark of the Pride' for an eternity; all the while I valued Longnail so much already and together they're sick.
  3. I just read about being able to kill Crystal Spikey Dudes via Soul spells... Thought those were invincible.
  4. After getting the Monarch Wings and encountered Broken Vessel's 'Lost Kin' dream version on my way back, I figured that thing should've been doable with said upgrade and I liked tough boss challenges up until that point. What followed were 2 hours of futile exercise as that boss was just way, way out of my league and whereas I thought I might've been close to killing it a couple times, I now know I was strongly mistaken.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

You will run into it on your first playthrough, but it is very obvious when you "trigger" it and you don't have to worry about getting swept up in it or anything irreversibly if you don't want to. You can easily trigger it and still save it all for when you've completed the main game.

There *are* random DLC items, bosses, etc peppered throughout the map, but you won't even know that its DLC as you get it. That kind of thing is added seamlessly. The actual added DLC questline type of stuff is what you can easily segregate.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
What were some of your biggest failures, missteps, dudes?

1. For ~15 hours I didn't know you can bounce off spikes, in part because I missed the one Grub room that makes that very obvious. When I was away from home I decided to watch some blind walk-through for fun and saw the dude figure that out basically immediately and had a major facepalm.
  2. I forgot about the locked room after beating the Mantis Challenge and didn't collect the 'Mark of the Pride' for an eternity; all the while I valued Longnail so much already and together they're sick.
  3. I just read about being able to kill Crystal Spikey Dudes via Soul spells... Thought those were invincible.
  4. After getting the Monarch Wings and encountered Broken Vessel's 'Lost Kin' dream version on my way back, I figured that thing should've been doable with said upgrade and I liked tough boss challenges up until that point. What followed were 2 hours of futile exercise as that boss was just way, way out of my league and whereas I thought I might've been close to killing it a couple times, I now know I was strongly mistaken.

Can someone tell me the location of that grub room referenced in 1 above.

Deleted member 11104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You will run into it on your first playthrough, but it is very obvious when you "trigger" it and you don't have to worry about getting swept up in it or anything irreversibly if you don't want to. You can easily trigger it and still save it all for when you've completed the main game.

There *are* random DLC items, bosses, etc peppered throughout the map, but you won't even know that its DLC as you get it. That kind of thing is added seamlessly. The actual added DLC questline type of stuff is what you can easily segregate.

Thanks! :)

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
i just realized this game doesnt have slopes lol

its all boxy rectangles

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
I never posted in here, I never post in OTs until I get far enough in a game where I don't worry about the spoilers.
However, I need to rant about something rn.
Motherf***ing White palace. Why did this game have to become super meatboy all of sudden? It's like a birthday but all the presents are sawblades and spikes. I never expected to come across a gauntlet like this, and I didn't even unlock the normal ending.
I'm at the part where you have to climb while avoiding the timed spears. Had to quit for the night.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I never posted in here, I never post in OTs until I get far enough in a game where I don't worry about the spoilers.
Motherf***ing White palace. Why did this game have to become super meatboy all of sudden? It's like a birthday but all the presents are sawblades and spikes. I never expected to come across a gauntlet like this, and I didn't even unlock the normal ending.
I'm at the part where you have to climb while avoiding the timed spears. Had to quit for the night.
Didn't find it hard and I never played super meat boy or anything.

The place is optional btw.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Didn't find it hard and I never played super meat boy or anything.

The place is optional btw.
Bragging about how you didn't find it hard isn't a super helpful reply you know :P

I recommend using the charms:

Quick Slash, since it eases the time window you have for pogoing into the blades/spikes :)

Also, Hive Blood if you have it since it pretty much guarantees you can't die.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
lol I just lost 12k geo, just cashed in all my trinkets because I was getting close for unbreakable strength, then I decide to get that charm notch in the fog canyon and mess up twice. Guess I'll have to do look at that best farming option now

jepense

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
After 20 h, I'm feeling fairly close to the beginning of endgame. I've done two of the three things and reached the third.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the game and I thought I'd write a few thoughts.

I see a lot of comparisons between Hollow Knight and metroidvanias, but although the game uses metroid-like mechanics where some parts are gated by abilities and keys, it doesn't really flow like a typical metroid, and comparing Hollow Knight to Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night isn't really accurate. For instance in Super Metroid, the map tends to funnel the player towards their next objective pretty effectively and you get upgrades in quick succession, which builds a positive feedback loop. You can sequence break, but it's not very easy and there is an intended sequence of tasks. The map in SM is very tight and dense, so even if there is some backtracking, the distances are typically not very long.

In Hollow Knight, the world is big and open. After a couple of upgrades you have a lot of freedom to just explore as you want. Getting lost and finding your way back is a core part of HK (the game straight up says it to you several times). Both SM and HK build great ambiance and a feeling of dread as you delve deeper, but they play it out differently. In SM, the player mostly tries to dig deeper into Zebes, but Hallownest is more spread out with no clear direction. In my playthrough, I would often pick a direction or a region, go explore, maybe find something (a bench or even just reveal a bunch of the map) and then return back to a stag station so that I could go somewhere else the next day. Often I would ride the stag back to Dirtmouth at the end of a play session to spend some geo or just because. I would never do that in Metroid.

Geo also plays into this. The game needs some kind of a generic reward system to give you something for exploring even if you are not on the critical path, and geo works for that. You could have exp, but the possibility of losing your geo raises the stakes. The game is not super hard, but you can't be careless or you will be punished. Because of this, you sometimes have to think how far are you willing to push, because dying will cost you (at least the effort of finding you stuff again).

HK also gates your progress by player skill and combat power unlike Metroid where you usually beat bosses in a given order and each boss must be beaten when found. In HK, I came across bosses that were way too difficult when I first met them but became very manageable after I left and returned with some upgrades. I like this, since although you don't end up super OP like Samus, becoming stronger does make a real difference and combat upgrades are valuable even though they are not required. You absolutely can beat hard bosses "early" if you are skilled, but I believe the player is supposed to hit walls from time to time. In this sense the game plays similarly to BotW, where you can go almost anywhere but may need to get stronger or just better at the game first in order to survive.

I've also seen some complaints about bosses who are far away from a bench, but I think that the added time cost for retries is sometimes justified because very few bosses are hard locks on your progress. Each encounter is meaningful, because failure will cost you at least time, and so again the player must think carefully if they are ready to engage and how should they do it.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. This is a great game, my shared GotY tied with Celeste at the moment.

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
Bragging about how you didn't find it hard isn't a super helpful reply you know :P

I recommend using the charms:

Quick Slash, since it eases the time window you have for pogoing into the blades/spikes :)

Also, Hive Blood if you have it since it pretty much guarantees you can't die.
I'm already using hive blood with double healing and grubsong, but not QS. However, I didn't have to pogo onto spikes until now.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Who's gonna tell him?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
lol I just lost 12k geo, just cashed in all my trinkets because I was getting close for unbreakable strength, then I decide to get that charm notch in the fog canyon and mess up twice. Guess I'll have to do look at that best farming option now
Ah man, don't forget to use your eggs. I don't know the absolute best spot, but I did just do a bunch of Fool runs with the greed charm.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ah man, don't forget to use your eggs. I don't know the absolute best spot, but I did just do a bunch of Fool runs with the greed charm.

I remembered the eggs, I was just careless. I didn't feel like going back to Hollownest so I just bet on my second try. My heart sank when my spirit spawned under the place I originally died. In that bomb room, that makes a difference. I was in a hurry and got hit with one time too many. This is a replay and I don't have the dreamgate yet. I don't really mind though, I'll just advance normally again. Countless hours in Souls games have taught me to disconnect from that loss immediately... but it did sting a bit because I cashed in every trinket from the beginning of the game to go do something stupid.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for Traitor Lord? I'm about ready to give up the game because of his bullshit....

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for Traitor Lord? I'm about ready to give up the game because of his bullshit....

Yeah I had issues with him too. Make sure to use the shadow dash to pass through the giant waves.

The giant sickles are easy to dodge

Jump on his head several times when he dashes towards you to strike

When you are low on health just dash to the opposite side of the room and heal

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this game a few months back, fucking loved it.

Started going for the 100% and stuck my toe in the DLC, but then I dropped it and haven't gone back for a while.

Any tips for getting back into it? Is there a good way to approach 100%? Don't really want to go back through the entire map if I can avoid it.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
these posts on constant repeat pretty much sum up the thread, lol
For real fuck the the watcher knights.
yet I barely see anyone complaining about colloseum of fools part trois, the actual hardest part!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Question regarding Fungal Wastes.
Just got the Mantis Claw. Should I go to City of Tears now, or continue downwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.