Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean what you consider the left and what the left actually is are two different things.

LGBTQ advocacy isn't the key to the leftist gate.

I make it sound like supporting policy is enough for what? For Him to be a champion of LGBTQ community? Hell no, he'll never be that. For him to be a leftist? No. Because That issue alone doesn't determine if someone a leftist. It's a function of all of their political views.
There's quite a wide gulf between being an advocate for the LGBTQ community and creating extremist anti-trans, anti-gay work that is celebrated by the alt-right.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I make it sound like supporting policy is enough for what? For Him to be a champion of LGBTQ community? Hell no, he'll never be that. For him to be a leftist? No. Because That issue alone doesn't determine if someone a leftist. It's a function of all of their political views.
I guess I don't understand why you brought up policy then, it's my bad I just don't know what I missed.
LGBTQ advocacy isn't the key to the leftist gate.
Sure, it's one of several things, but I wouldn't let them in the gate without that key.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
He's an icon of the alt-right who is making a career out of punching down at marginalized people. That's not a leftist. Targeting marginalized communities who are disproportionately victims of violent crime is more than enough to disqualify him from being able to ever be considered a leftist. But his misogyny also contributes to the calculus.

I get it. He doesn't fit your personal, made up definition of leftism.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Just watched it. Liked it. I feel like he does this sort of humor well and the real takeaway is that he is just as harsh towards his self and his own people if not harsher to show that it's comedy in forefront. Also the moment where he says for example where he associates school shooting with white people, and telling them that the chances are bigger that it'd be one of their kids is a painfully harsh joke to listen to I imagine and I saw the discomfort the white dudes had in the audience. It's actually not my kind of comedy but it's clear what he is doing.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't understand why you brought up policy then, it's my bad I just don't know what I missed.

Sure, it's one of several things, but I wouldn't let them in the gate without that key.

I brought up policy because political views are what dictate a person's position on the political spectrum.

I understand that your wouldn't personally let someone into the gate without that key- which is why I reiterate- leftism already has a definition. You are trying to give a new one as if you are the gatekeeper.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Regardless of how you feel about it, pretty sure Chappelle's goal with the new special was to make fun of literally anyone and everyone possible. White, people of color, LGBTQ, wealthy, impoverished, perpetrators, victims, drug-addicted, straight, conservative, progressive, and - as much as anyone else - himself.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not deciding terms. I'm providing the actual definition of the word.
We're not going to agree on this, and this back & forth is not going anywhere unfortunately, so I'll end here.

If you believe the definition of leftist includes someone who holds a few left positions but makes a career out of attacking at-risk marginalized communities, rape survivors and other victims of sexual assault, I'm not sure what else to say.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Just watched it. Liked it. I feel like he does this sort of humor well and the real takeaway is that he is just as harsh towards his self and his own people if not harsher to show that it's comedy in forefront. Also the moment where he says for example where he associates school shooting with white people, and telling them that the chances are bigger that it'd be one of their kids is a painfully harsh joke to listen to I imagine and I saw the discomfort the white dudes had in the audience. It's actually not my kind of comedy but it's clear what he is doing.

You should really think about this a bit.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point he's been trotting this weak transphobic material out for so long that it is one of his defining themes as a comic.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Are comedians just allowed to say anything and be immune from criticism because that's the impression I'm getting from about half the thread here.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how you feel about it, pretty sure Chappelle's goal with the new special was to make fun of literally anyone and everyone possible. White, people of color, LGBTQ, wealthy, impoverished, perpetrators, victims, drug-addicted, straight, conservative, progressive, and - as much as anyone else - himself.
What value is there in making fun of victims or drug addicts or trans people?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I found the special funny
I don't need to agree with something to find it funny.
I don't even think chappele agreed with his jokes

Whats truly offensive is when people deliver similar content, but not for the intente of laughing. All the right wing idiots, Ben Shapiro, ingrhama, hannoty, Carlson, the things they say aren't meant to be funny, they're meant to promote action.

Shit, I actually thought his car ride joke was pretty good.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
We're not going to agree on this, and this back & forth is not going anywhere unfortunately, so I'll end here.

If you believe the definition of leftist includes someone who holds a few left positions but makes a career out of attacking at-risk marginalized communities, rape survivors and other victims of sexual assault, I'm not sure what else to say.

You keep saying he holds just "a few" left positions - without any evidence that this is the case.

He has made a career out of attacking everything and everyone under the sun, including concervative policy and what has now become known as the alt-right. You are cherry picking From decades of comedy bits and as the basis of an argument that centers around your insistence on personalizing a definition for a word that already has a definition.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Keeping the trans community stigmatized is just part of his genius.
Are you new to Era? Comedians get a pass all the time for shitting all over the LGBT community "cuz jokes ur so sensitive lol" . Dave has been problematic as fuck for some time, defended by people as though he were a member of their own family. I don't even have the energy to deal with people who still cape from MJ

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Are you new to Era? Comedians get a pass all the time for shitting all over the LGBT community "cuz jokes ur so sensitive lol" . Dave has been problematic as fuck for some time, defended by people as though he were a member of their own family. I don't even have the energy to deal with people who still cape from MJ

I've also noticed a weird paradigm shift here the last couple of months. Starting to look like the 'old place.'

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Did I astrally project into a south park discussion thread from 15 years ago?

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've also noticed a weird paradigm shift here the last couple of months. Starting to look like the 'old place.'

It's not there yet thank goodness, plus there are a lot of really good posters who don't let that kind of shit slide/ are good at calling out hand waving of social issues. But yea stuff like this and , say, people being so open and gleeful about supporting " fire service/food" Chik fil a , despite their stance on LGBT issues makes me give quit the number of side-eyes

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
this stuff is so boring. every big comedy special is nearly identical at this point. please start writing jokes instead of finding funny ways to gesticulate and enunciate to make people laugh at boomer facebook posts

OhMan

Apr 29, 2019
He's an icon of the alt-right
source.gif

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
DISCLAIMER: POSSIBLE SENSITIVE CONTENT.

There's a strange paradox when it comes to comedy. Creating comedy material doesn't necessarily reflect one's view of oneself, but just an oddball take on humor. When people start putting limitations on what the general public thinks is funny vs what the general public thinks isn't, then it really isn't comedy is it? You're now being controlled by the masses to deliver content that agrees with the general consensus. I'm absolutely not agreeing with Dave in any capacity here on the perspective his jokes (not him) display, but the second you start limiting comedy, it's not really comedy anymore. The paradox is that there's a form of entertainment that requires creative thinking and freedom of speech, but you're now limiting the creative thinking process so it's not really a true form of it.

An example of this is a dead baby joke. How many babies does it take to paint a house? Depends on how hard you throw them.
Some people find that funny, and that's okay, because it's a near-impossible situation that makes light of a horrific sequence. Is killing babies okay? Absolutely not. However, is making fun of a situation that doesn't exist okay?

Like Dave is a comic that comes from an era where comedy didn't have limits and nearly anything and everything was fair game to be made fun of, mocked, and wasn't immune to being joked about. Sure he hasn't aged with the times, but the issue at hand is that at what point is comedy even comedy anymore and rather another controlled form of media? At some point, someone is going to get offended by something somewhere somehow.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't taboo topics that absolutely should never be touched upon. Here's where that paradox comes in and it's literally cherry-picking. Things like transphobia, the LGBTQ movement, and other prominent social issues that are actively fighting for recognition have to be taken in some regard. It's like kicking someone when they're down. Making fun of these groups or folk is socially considered bad taste however, is it funny? Sure, maybe. Is it okay to make fun of it? Sure, it's comedy, nothing should be off limits. Should you make fun of it? Probably not.

Everyone wants to hear a funny joke unless it's about them or something/someone they care about. Then it's not funny anymore and it turns into harassment/oppression.

Dave has the balls to talk about his perspective, and there are quite a few things he says that I simply don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be off limits for him to make fun of. A comic should be able to make fun of whatever however whenever. Whether or not people find what they have to say funny is a whole different situation.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Dude literally cancelled his tv show and left the country because regressive white people were taking his jokes the wrong way. "Icon of the alt right" is a bit much but you think those same regressive people aren't gonna be there for it now that he's intentionally shitting on a group they like to shit on too?
Has he ever actually said something like that? I know theres been a million reasons speculated on why he left but only thing I've ever seen him speak on it is the pressure of fame got to him.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Has he ever actually said something like that? I know theres been a million reasons speculated on why he left but only thing I've ever seen him speak on it is the pressure of fame got to him.
He says it on this special. The thing is theres plenty of interviews that say otherwise. He's said in the past that Comedy Central was pushing him to do more racial sketches, which he felt like his creative freedom was being taken away. He also said he wanted to focus on raising his family. I'm sure all of it is part of why he left and none of it is the sole reason.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The term alt right really has lost all meaning
I guess getting a glowing review from Tucker Carlson's propaganda portal means you're doing something right.

DailyCaller said:
As usual, nothing was off limits. He took shots at LGBTQ community in a hilarious fashion, mocked the differences between male and female athletes, said he didn't believe the Michael Jackson accusers and laid into Jussie Smollett in epic fashion.

Breitbart loves him too. Like I said, dude is becoming an icon of the alt-right.

Last edited:

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I was more bothered by the crowd than Dave in this special. Dave knows he's just talking shit, the crowd seems to actually take him seriously, which is horrifying. I see that from Bill Burr fans a lot too.

This. As soon as he started with the first line of the Bourdain bit and the crowd started laughing at a line not even meant as a joke I knew it was going to be bad. Some of the stuff he said in the special was pretty fucked but the audience's reaction is what stuck with me afterwards.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
His bit on the white community going through the opioid epidemic compared to black people going through the crack epidemic hits a spot.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
This. As soon as he started with the first line of the Bourdain bit and the crowd started laughing at a line not even meant as a joke I knew it was going to be bad. Some of the stuff he said in the special was pretty fucked but the audience's reaction is what stuck with me afterwards.

There isn't anything wrong with chuckling at dark or inappropriate humor.

Humor is a type of reframing (or "cognitive restructuring"). It takes an experience and puts a twist on it so that we experience it in a completely new way.

Most humor involves taking something in life and looking at it from a different perspective. By doing this, we can often change the meaning of something (or add another layer to it) without changing the reality behind the situation.

One new study published in Brain and Behavior found that humor can be an important way to regulate our emotions, especially in those with depression or mental health issues. Researchers found that the use of humor was associated with decreased negative emotions, increased positive emotions, and helped people to distance themselves from adversity and hardship.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
The only part I think Dave should get any flame for is the trans-Asian bit. That was just terrible. I saw that, put my hand over my mouth and gasped. I guess no one in this thread actually watched the special or people just don't care, but it was seriously fucked up

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I dunno I thought it looked the opposite. They showed the crowd alot and there were alot of displeased faces. Some even getting to the point where they forced a serious face.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I think ive seen all his acts and it seems like as older he gets, the bitter he is

To each their own i guess but i think im done

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The only part I think Dave should get any flame for is the trans-Asian bit. That was just terrible. I saw that, put my hand over my mouth and gasped. I guess no one in this thread actually watched the special or people just don't care, but it was seriously fucked up
Also the, yenno

Child rape "jokes" and disbelieving victims

Reading this garbage and seeing clips online is enough for me, I don't want to contribute to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps I should have worded my post differently but believe me, dark humor is how I get through life. I'm one of those people that think everything is free game for comedy, no matter how disturbing. Dave's approach to certain subjects seemed poorly thought through for me though. The transphobic stuff and the CK stuff immediately coming to mind.

Yeah, there's dark humor and then there's kicking someone when they're already down. Usually only bullies find shit like that funny.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dave Chappelle alt-right? This is just beyond the pale.

If you're gonna classify Dave Chappelle as alt-right then you might as well throw in probably 90% of the country or, hell, the planet while you're at it.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Special was funny. Kinda dry and deadpan at some parts. I liked the other special where he talked about OJ way more. Still I thought it was good and while I didn't agree with his take on Michael Jackson I can see why he said what he said. Hate to sound like a trumpster but comedy is one of the few aspects of society where I think it's okay not to be politically correct.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna draw conclusions from a dry reading in an article of a goddamn stand up show. Can't really be more divorced from its context this way.

I'll watch it and see what I think.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to sound like a trumpster but comedy is one of the few aspects of society where I think it's okay not to be politically correct.
Comedy doesn't have to be politically correct, but some jokes can still go too far for people and those people should be allowed to criticize it. Comedy isn't immune from criticism, nor is it something that people don't make mistakes over.

Even George Carlin, the fallback option for dumbasses who want to cry about not limiting comedy, understood that there were limits and that sometimes you can't say just any joke.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
His bit on the white community going through the opioid epidemic compared to black people going through the crack epidemic hits a spot.
Yep there's some great smart material in this one. And some really unintelligent bad material (trans and victim blaming). But the claim he is an alt right icon is just the height of stupid.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
DISCLAIMER: POSSIBLE SENSITIVE CONTENT.

There's a strange paradox when it comes to comedy. Creating comedy material doesn't necessarily reflect one's view of oneself, but just an oddball take on humor. When people start putting limitations on what the general public thinks is funny vs what the general public thinks isn't, then it really isn't comedy is it? You're now being controlled by the masses to deliver content that agrees with the general consensus. I'm absolutely not agreeing with Dave in any capacity here on the perspective his jokes (not him) display, but the second you start limiting comedy, it's not really comedy anymore. The paradox is that there's a form of entertainment that requires creative thinking and freedom of speech, but you're now limiting the creative thinking process so it's not really a true form of it.

An example of this is a dead baby joke. How many babies does it take to paint a house? Depends on how hard you throw them.
Some people find that funny, and that's okay, because it's a near-impossible situation that makes light of a horrific sequence. Is killing babies okay? Absolutely not. However, is making fun of a situation that doesn't exist okay?

Like Dave is a comic that comes from an era where comedy didn't have limits and nearly anything and everything was fair game to be made fun of, mocked, and wasn't immune to being joked about. Sure he hasn't aged with the times, but the issue at hand is that at what point is comedy even comedy anymore and rather another controlled form of media? At some point, someone is going to get offended by something somewhere somehow.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't taboo topics that absolutely should never be touched upon. Here's where that paradox comes in and it's literally cherry-picking. Things like transphobia, the LGBTQ movement, and other prominent social issues that are actively fighting for recognition have to be taken in some regard. It's like kicking someone when they're down. Making fun of these groups or folk is socially considered bad taste however, is it funny? Sure, maybe. Is it okay to make fun of it? Sure, it's comedy, nothing should be off limits. Should you make fun of it? Probably not.

Everyone wants to hear a funny joke unless it's about them or something/someone they care about. Then it's not funny anymore and it turns into harassment/oppression.

Dave has the balls to talk about his perspective, and there are quite a few things he says that I simply don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be off limits for him to make fun of. A comic should be able to make fun of whatever however whenever. Whether or not people find what they have to say funny is a whole different situation.
I thought this was really well said.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I laughed a few times but some jokes weren't my thing. Comedy is just more funny to me when it punches up, not down.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Dave's becoming what he left Chapelle Show over again

This bit is going to be the new "black people and niggas"

Status
Not open for further replies.