Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't see the value in defending MJ.
Keep your doubts, I guess. But there's really no need to stake your reputation and essentially call a bunch of people liars. What's the upside to this?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the guy is barely even funny anymore. i watched some of his netflix specials and hes clearly phoning it in. i dont think i laughed more than a couple of times. his 1999 special is one of the funniest specials ever. right up there with the best of chris rock and richard pryor. now hes old, hes lost his edge and his timing. no idea why people stan for Michael Jackson. Hes not the first one but hes the most high profile dude. its sad and just goes to show how many celebrities just have shitty morals. I remember Chris Tucker being super close friends with MJ even after the allegations. Fuck them all.

I still remember one of his interviews about why he quit the Chappelle show. He noticed that people loved him stereotyping black culture, causally started saying the n word, and basically thought it was ok to make fun of black people. He didnt want to contribute to that. He realized how toxic those jokes could be. This is just another example of americans having a blind spot to anything they arent going through themselves and it seems even comedians arent impervious to it. Draw the line at Racism and stereotyping? Right away sir. Rape, Sexual Assaults, Trans rights, pedophelia? A-OK! Bill Maher recently said he would vote for Trump if he took climate change seriously. So all the horrible shit hes done from praising white supremacists to locking kids in cages and assualting women all gets thrown out the window because hes gonna go green. Get the fuck outta here. these rich comedians are no different than all those rich college white americans who voted for trump because they agreed with his conservative policies whilst ignoring all the horrific shit hes done and said. I bet if they had a LGBT kid or a Mexican wife they would get right on that. See Dick Cheney and Jeb Bush.

Fuck them all.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I don't think comedians are the same person they show us on stage. I think they like to talk through allegories so I don't really get offended by what they say at face value.

Don't agree with him about the Michael Jackson comments at all, but the set was fine and I'll still continue to watch his future specials.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Another one.

giphy.gif

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I really don't see the value in defending MJ.
Keep your doubts, I guess. But there's really no need to stake your reputation and essentially call a bunch of people liars. What's the upside to this?

I don't think Dave Chappelle cares. His first special resulted in outrage on his material. He didn't say my bad, he mocked the outrage. Dave lives in the middle of nowhere in Ohio with his family and is basically reaching the stratosphere of how GOAT he can get with his sarcasm, jokes , mocking and wink wink jokes. Man is a damn genius because he unites both the right and the left to cheer for him on some material and some left and right spectrum to jeer him. What was the first reaction on twitter by some folks to him mocking cancel culture ? "Dave is cancelled" I mean.. man is a god damn genius to incite that reaction

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember one of his interviews about why he quit the Chappelle show. He noticed that people loved him stereotyping black culture, causally started saying the n word, and basically thought it was ok to make fun of black people. He didnt want to contribute to that. He realized how toxic those jokes could be. This is just another example of americans having a blind spot to anything they arent going through themselves and it seems even comedians arent impervious to it. Draw the line at Racism and stereotyping? Right away sir. Rape, Sexual Assaults, Trans rights, pedophelia? A-OK! Bill Maher recently said he would vote for Trump if he took climate change seriously. So all the horrible shit hes done from praising white supremacists to locking kids in cages and assualting women all gets thrown out the window because hes gonna go green. Get the fuck outta here. these rich comedians are no different than all those rich college white americans who voted for trump because they agreed with his conservative policies whilst ignoring all the horrific shit hes done and said. I bet if they had a LGBT kid or a Mexican wife they would get right on that. See Dick Cheney and Jeb Bush.

Fuck them all.

Chappelle asking "Why can't I say Faggot" in the special is so painfully ironic.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I remember people really loving his stand up specials on Netflix and I have no idea why, I used to think he was funny years ago but he hasn't modernized and still calls people gay, like the whole incident with Daniel Caesar. So yeah, no thanks. That quote about Michael Jackson at the beginning of this thread is really gross.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Whether he believes the stuff in his jokes or not is irrelevant. The guy has a large platform. The issue is that the people sitting at home watching who do believe this shit see Dave cracking jokes about it and it reinforces their shitty viewpoints.

I used to like Dave's routine but now I feel like I grew up and he didn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know what to tell you.

If you're insinuating that I don't feel empathy towards those that are marginalized, then you're making a sweeping generalization about me based off the very few posts that I've made here.
you've made your stance clear that's it's ok cuz jokes and a follow up of shrug of shoulders, must be nice when you aren't the joke

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean its a stand up set. From Dave Chappelle. He once had a bit about getting his dick sucked by a monkey without the monkey peeling it. I dont understand what people were expecting? For him to tone it down?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Dave Chappelle cares. His first special resulted in outrage on his material. He didn't say my bad, he mocked the outrage. Dave lives in the middle of nowhere in Ohio with his family and is basically reaching the stratosphere of how GOAT he can get with his sarcasm, jokes , mocking and wink wink jokes. Man is a damn genius because he unites both the right and the left to cheer for him on some material and some left and right spectrum to jeer him. What was the first reaction on twitter by some folks to him mocking cancel culture ? "Dave is cancelled" I mean.. man is a god damn genius to incite that reaction

Yeah he's a genius he brings the right and the left together to laugh at trans people!

That's no hard mind you.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its a stand up set. From Dave Chappelle. He once had a bit about getting his dick sucked by a monkey without the monkey peeling it. I dont understand what people were expecting? For him to tone it down?
Do you not see the difference between a gross joke about a monkey and a gross joke about a marginalized group of people?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
dunno about that. CK was the biggest comedian in the world until he wasn't.
Yeah but not for his words.

As long as Chappelle doesn't sexually harass anyone he can mock trans people for existing while decrying that he's the victim and being cancelled.... on Netflix in front of a sold out show, while people call him a genius.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
last time Chappelle had a special, people were lambasting me in the OT for saying he was trash

here we are 18 months later and it seems the worm has turned

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I don't get. Didn't he stop doing The Chappelle Show because he came to the realization that poking fun at marginalized groups is harmful to those groups?

...and yet, when it comes to trans people, that doesn't matter?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I don't get. Didn't he stop doing The Chappelle Show because he came to the realization that poking fun at marginalized groups is harmful to those groups?

See what had happen was...that was different

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the thread where Chappelle's latest special was announced was filled mostly with people going "HELL YEAH" despite this dude being a known transphobe and now a pedophile defender.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
This is a new low for Chappelle.

I understand what he's saying to an extent; don't just blindly walk away from your favorite celebs et al the second bad news drops, at least look at the issue critically. Okay, fine.

But if we're talking about well documented cases spanning over years and years and years (Michael Jackson, R. Kelly) this isn't cancel culture, man.

This was damn near exactly what I said in my review:

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. This is one of the reasons why Chapelle doing these sort of jokes is so sad, even more so than other top comedians.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Oh yes the old you should be honored a famous guy raped you.

With that line of thinking wonder what he's been up to in his life.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You know, this shit isn't even edgy, it's the same jokes every comic is making now since Louie ck was brought down for being a scumbag.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

By this logic Donald Trump is the biggest genius in history.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprising after his last special. Damn shame this is what happened to one of my favorite comedians of all time.

Also, the whole "it's tough for celebrities" bullshit can stop. If you're gonna try and be famous you're gonna have people paying attention to what you say, it's the whole gig. Don't like it, go get another job out of the spotlight.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you dont see the difference between a joke like that and the topic this thread is about idk what to tell you.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
Dave Chappelle going to Dave Chappelle?? He expressed his opinion/joke about something that is obviously fucked up. You may not agree with it, but then again no one forced anyone to watch it. He has a platform that obviously reaches millions now, but Dave Chappelle hasn't changed, times have. You dont' want to support him, dont watch it. Netflix will see his popularity drop and no more Chappelle. This whole thread plays into what he joked about in this special.

Oct 27, 2017
Content aside I find it strange to take material from a standup routine and reframe it as commentary. I just don't think any satire really holds up to that. Like it might be based on opinion but the purposeful exaggeration and use of irony ect.. can't be interpreted literally as opinion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Dave Chappelle going to Dave Chappelle?? He expressed his opinion/joke about something that is obviously fucked up. You may not agree with it, but then again no one forced anyone to watch it. He has a platform that obviously reaches millions now, but Dave Chappelle hasn't changed, times have. You dont' want to support him, dont watch it. Netflix will see his popularity drop and no more Chappelle. This whole thread plays into what he joked about in this special.
He stopped his show because he felt uncomfortable that people were laughing at the expense of black people but has no problem making shitty 'jokes' punching down on communities he's not a part of.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You may not agree with it, but then again no one forced anyone to watch it.
This is such a tired and nonsensical argument where the logical endpoint is "Don't criticize anything".
You dont' want to support him, dont watch it.
And people can choose to advocate against it as well. What good does it do to point out the natural state of how people work?
This whole thread plays into what he joked about in this special.
So one side thinks rape sucks and the other side dismisses and downplays it, should we care what the other side thinks?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In this thread, all personal opinions, no matter how shitty and aggressive, are "jokes"

Just like with Louie's stand up.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Content aside I find it strange to take material from a standup routine and reframe it as commentary. I just don't think any satire really holds up to that.
Right except he's been consistent about this for years and years and has never clarified his actual opinions on the trans community etc.
In this thread, all personal opinions, no matter how shitty and aggressive, are "jokes"

Just like with Louie's stand up.
Nevermind that even bigoted jokes are shitty🤷‍♀️

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Right except he's been consistent about this for years and years and has never clarified his actual opinions on the trans community etc.

Nevermind that even bigoted jokes are shitty🤷‍♀️
Right, I mean.. the distinction doesn't really matter in terms of people enjoying the end product, but I'm just pointing out that there is clearly some personal opinion/bitterness influencing his material, just like with Louie.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
strange the unwavering love this dude gets in some circles, and I'm not talking the altright trying to claim him to use against the "deranged liberals".

if it was another comedian doing the same shit, the response wouldn't be so aggressively raptourous.

also, these specials just been falling flat for me, regardless of the middle aged douchbaggery, which is strong with dave these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.