• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hollywood Reporter has reported that in a Netflix special, Dave Chappelle has stated he doesn't believe any of the Michael Jackson accusers and stated that "cancel culture" is "celebrity hunting season.":

Dave Chappelle was quick to address the controversies surrounding Michael Jackson, R. Kelly and Kevin Hart, all within the first 20 minutes of his new Netflix special, Sticks & Stones, released Monday.

In his fifth special in the past two years, the comedian tackles "cancel culture," or as he describes it, "celebrity hunting season."

"This is the worst time ever to be a celebrity," he says in the special. "You're gonna be finished. Everyone's doomed. Michael Jackson has been dead for 10 years, and this n— has two new cases."

He then reiterated for those who have yet to watch HBO's Leaving Neverland, which detailed Jackson's alleged child abuse throughout his career, "don't watch it." "It's fucking gross," he added.

Chappelle then went on to explain that though it may not be the right thing to say, he admits that he doesn't believe the accusers who allege that the King of Pop sexually abused and raped them. "I don't think he did it, but you know what? Even if he did do it…you know what I mean?" he paused, as the audience erupted into laughter. "I mean, it's Michael Jackson. I know more than half the people in this room have been molested in their lives, but it wasn't no goddamn Michael Jackson, was it?"

He then went on to explain that had the accusers really been sexually abused by Jackson, then they "must have felt to go to school the next day."

The main reason Chappelle said he doesn't believe the accusers is because Macaulay Culkin has yet to come forward saying he was ever molested by Jackson or witnessed the singer assaulting anyone. "I'm not a pedophile, but if I was, Macaulay Culkin's the first kid I'm fucking. I'll tell you that right now."

Oct 25, 2017
Celebs aka the most persecuted group ever ever. They have never used their positions of power over people to do monstrous things.

Cancel my butthole, Dave

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle then asserts that had the accusers really been sexually abused by Jackson, "You know how good it must have felt to go to school the next day after that shit?"
This is a new low for Chappelle.

I understand what he's saying to an extent; don't just blindly walk away from your favorite celebs et al the second bad news drops, at least look at the issue critically. Okay, fine.

But if we're talking about well documented cases spanning over years and years and years (Michael Jackson, R. Kelly) this isn't cancel culture, man.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
yikes-from-me-dog-37236389.png

Dave sucks

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see a comedian enter into the "out of touch" phase.

I pray Patton Oswalt never hits that

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
He then reiterated for those who have yet to watch HBO's Leaving Neverland, which detailed Jackson's alleged child abuse throughout his career, "Don't watch it. ... It's fucking gross."

Chappelle then went on to explain that though it may not be the right thing to say, he admits that he doesn't believe the accusers who allege that the King of Pop sexually abused and raped them. "I don't think he did it, but you know what? Even if he did do it … you know what I mean?" he paused, as the audience erupted into laughter. "I mean, it's Michael Jackson. I know more than half the people in this room have been molested in their lives, but it wasn't no goddamn Michael Jackson, was it?"

Chappelle then asserts that had the accusers really been sexually abused by Jackson, "You know how good it must have felt to go to school the next day after that shit?"

w...t...f

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
You can still enjoy Thriller and acknowledge the man was an abusive monster. No need to defend him.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
In a lot shorter words than I used in the official thread, Dave's, unfortunately, now just a guy stuck in his ways and because of his comedic ability is really good at rationalizing away to himself and others the inherent contradictions at the core of his treatment of black social issues vs. that of woman/trans issues....Or really any social justice issue that has emerged in the last decade. As it seems Chappelle, like many people do, become really resistant to altering their core ethos from middle adulthood and beyond.

Show was still funny at times, but really a lot less polished than his last specials and that really magnifies the issues with his more recent comedy.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I feel like Chappele can't get cancelled

He's never claimed not to be a person with opinions like this

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao it's sad how out of touch Dave is these days. Dude should try leaving the mansion once in a while. He's going to be James Woods in another 10 years.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really any different than "he made thriller" from years ago on the Chappelle show? Or "Michael Jackson sucking your dick is the cure for cancer". Seems like rehashed material more than a legitimate 'take'.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its kind of weird hearing some of the bits Dave does in the last couple years. He sounds like dudes his younger self would have been roasting for being out of touch assholes.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see a comedian enter into the "out of touch" phase.

I pray Patton Oswalt never hits that
Eh I don't think it's just out of touch. I think Chappelle is a bit disturbed, not quite all there. He always walked a fine line in between shocking bouts of humor and "whoa, is he really crazy or just fucking around?" But I think now more than ever it's really safe to say he's not all there.

Whatever, Dave. The Rick James and Prince skits are still funny but you're also an asshole and much of your content is and always has been forgettable. And nobody canceled on you, you canceled on your damn self after walking away from your hit TV show like a moronic coward and hiding in a hole for years.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
chappelle was slamming MJ accusers 20 years ago in his comedy sets

EDIT: wait, monday? that shit released today!?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His previous Netflix specials were basically old man yelling at clouds, so this was expected.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really any different than "he made thriller" from years ago on the Chappelle show? Or "Michael Jackson sucking your dick is the cure for cancer". Seems like rehashed material more than a legitimate 'take'.
Yeah I have heard him make these jokes before and he does often try to make some controversial shit funny.

I mean in the same special he also has a bit about the founding fathers and Kaepernick.

I don't agree with what Chappelle said and I might be wrong with this statement, but I don't care what celebrities think about important issues for the most part until and unless they prove it is something I need to listen to them on. People definitely have the right to shit all over him if they don't think he is funny or if they think he crossed a line (he did), but for me at the end of the day he is just a comedian.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean to me his special came across like

"Try to cancel me" with a mix of "wouldn't really care if I was canceled anyway"

As long as people in the theater are laughing though (with some pretty edgy jokes) he will probably just keep doing what he is doing.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped following him and his comedy. Guy's an asshole, I don't care if he's funny.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Netflix stays platforming shitty takes. They gave Norm MacDonald a series too, and I believe they have Joe Rogan standups on there.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't be shocking to anybody.

His recent specials have had consistent bad takes when it comes to this kind of a topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.