Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

the beta logo looks way better???

Damnit. Time constraints and the need to rush out a title every year definitely hampered this games development. The developers definitely put a lot of passion and soul into this game and it sucks it doesn't completely show in the final version. I still think these games could've been the best in the series if they had a little more time to cook

Oct 26, 2017
Damnit. Time constraints and the need to rush out a title every year definitely hampered this games development. The developers definitely put a lot of passion and soul into this game and it sucks it doesn't completely show in the final version. I still think these games could've been the best in the series if they had a little more time to cook

The people who bashed the whole rushed/time constraints argument, are looking like mega clowns right now. At the same time, the region design is pretty bad for a Switch title. THey should've ditched the whole "Point A > Point B" route design in favour of a more open route design.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Well I definitely didn't expect a game this recent to get anything like this leaked

Oct 27, 2017
You do know optimization is done at the final parts of development, right?
You do know the final version still has minor framerate issues and massive popup, right? Yes, I'm well aware, but optimization is usually done with all the assets in and then they're cut back/modified until the target performance range is reached. A completely empty environment shouldn't be that intensive.

I'd be one thing if the NPCs didn't appear 10ft in front of me in towns, then I could commend them on how far they'd come, but...

Oct 27, 2017
kAWIvSb.png

WOW

Oct 26, 2017
Was Route 1 REALLY in that state in 2018? The damn game was like 18 months from release at most. This utterly screams rushed. Why oh WHY did Let's Go have to exist to take away what little resources GF could afford and WHY couldn't they just have waited another year?

Or better, just fucking get Monolith Soft to help. I don't care if it's a "dumb meme", they know how to make open-world, monster battling JRPGs. They'd have been VERY useful to GF and by god would the sales have made even 100x the effort worthwhile since it sold what, 16 million copies during the holiday season anyway?

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I love that TwitchPlaysPokemon is in the chat. Also : this is amazing. Also also : sooo many people don't realize what a beta actually is.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
You do know the final version still has minor framerate issues and massive popup, right? Yes, I'm well aware, but optimization is usually done with all the assets in and then they're cut back/modified until the target performance range is reached. A completely empty environment shouldn't be that intensive

I know the game doesn't have framerate issues and loading times as bad as this beta does, because this is still unoptimized code. And to the bolded, you'd be surprised. You'd be really, really surprised about it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was Route 1 REALLY in that state in 2018? The damn game was like 18 months from release at most. This utterly screams rushed. Why oh WHY did Let's Go have to exist to take away what little resources GF could afford and WHY couldn't they just have waited another year?

Or better, just fucking get Monolith Soft to help. I don't care if it's a "dumb meme", they know how to make open-world, monster battling JRPGs. They'd have been VERY useful to GF and by god would the sales have made even 100x the effort worthwhile since it sold what, 16 million copies during the holiday season anyway?
What about Route 1 being in that state over a year before shipment implies that the game was rushed?

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Also Game Freak can't catch a break.

Just yesterday DLC info leaked and now the beta leaks, fueling the conversation that they lied.

Oct 26, 2017
What about Route 1 being in that state over a year before shipment implies that the game was rushed?
Shouldn't they have had the first route of the game pretty much full modeled by now?

They'd need a long time to debug and QA a JRPG I'd bet, so you'd think the game would be very far along, assuming it began development at around holiday 2016 when Sun and Moon came out, if not earlier.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Wait - why are we condoning/spreading this? This wasn't legally obtained , nor is it legal to stream...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Twitch chat is really insufferable, as usual; also think I got a headache from that music loop.

Shouldn't they have had the first route of the game pretty much full modeled by now?
Being the first location accessible to the player in the final version in no way means it'd be the first area completed.

Oct 27, 2017
The people who bashed the whole rushed/time constraints argument, are looking like mega clowns right now. At the same time, the region design is pretty bad for a Switch title. THey should've ditched the whole "Point A > Point B" route design in favour of a more open route design.
Then the studio heads shouldn't have set such an aggressive timeline for their games. They shouldn't have bet on the Switch bombing and decided to develop LGPE first. They shouldn't keep splitting resources between developing multiple titles at the same time if they're having resource issues and hiring several hundred contractors to finish the game. These are the types of problems I expect in studios making massively complex games or without much experience in game development, not in a 30+ year old studio with one of the most popular franchises in the world and a presumably healthy budget to work with

People are acting like the final product was some technical marvel or it had the makings of some super ambitious title. Neither of those are the case

They'd need a long time to debug and QA a JRPG I'd bet, so you'd think the game would be very far along, assuming it began development at around holiday 2016 when Sun and Moon came out, if not earlier.

They don't necessarily have to work on areas in gameplay order. One they have the basic outline of the map, and it's playable, they can built it however

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

My thoughts exactly. This pretty much confirmed what I feared what was the case, namely that Sword/Shield needed more time in the oven instead of being rushed out in time for the holiday season. Hopefully Game Freak/TPCi/Nintendo take their time going forward.

Likewise, I hope Game Freak reaches out to a studio like MonolithSoft, Bamco, Nintendo EPD, or KT for help going forward (it worked out for Intelligent Systems with Three Houses).

Oct 26, 2017
Also Game Freak can't catch a break.

Just yesterday DLC info leaked and now the beta leaks, fueling the conversation that they lied.

All they had to do was not say that they cut Pokemon in order to improve overall graphics. At that point, you are inviting scrutiny. They could've easily made a plausible statement that they cut Pokemon specifically for gameplay balance. At least with balance, no one will give two shits about what Pokemon's gone.

Batsy

Oct 16, 2018
Gamefreak is one of the worst developers in the industry and I wish Nintendo would just buy the game rights from them and get the team that does the xeno series to make the pokemon game we all want.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

that assumes they'd model the game in the order the player would traverse it

but generally, games don't really resemble anything playable until at least 90% of the way through development

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

not saying that this game wasn't rushed out the door or anything, but video games aren't made in chronological order lol

Oct 26, 2017
Twitch chat is really insufferable, as usual; also think I got a headache from that music loop.

Being the first location accessible to the player in the final version in no way means it'd be the first area completed.
A fair point. It's just bizarre that it's in that state if anything. You'd think they'd have a had a clear beginning done by that point. :P

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This looks more like an alpha, or something that precedes an alpha rather than a beta.

It's also infuriating watching this. Not because of the performance, but because of Megas and cut Pokemon that we now know were intentionally cut.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
A fair point. It's just bizarre that it's in that state if anything. You'd think they'd have a had a clear beginning done by that point. :P
The game was definitely rushed but this isn't really a very valid point. Did you know that the whole child Link stuff in Ocarina of Time was implemented pretty late in development?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I mean for all you know that was something planned and saw that there was no way to do it, like this means nothing really, so many things that make you say "wow this was rushed because they dropped something that i believe was better" are dropped from development all the time

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I have nothing to add to the conversation other than saying how much I love watching content of unfinished builds. There's something magical about them.