a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
They just showed Greninja in the camp. Didn't Gamefreak or Nintendo say making different Pokemon work in the camp is why they cut so many Pokemon?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't read anything into the performance, if only because we don't know anything about the PC specs this is running on

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was Route 1 REALLY in that state in 2018? The damn game was like 18 months from release at most. This utterly screams rushed. Why oh WHY did Let's Go have to exist to take away what little resources GF could afford and WHY couldn't they just have waited another year?

You've clearly never seen a game in development before. You can't infer the game was rushed from the state of a single snapshot more than a year before release.
You'd be shook at what most games look like not even a year before release.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this isn't the impetus for Nintendo to start really cracking down on the giga leak.
They can't crack down on the internet lol

All they can do is pull the links after everyone has already downloaded and reuploaded it, which is what they always do anyways. And they are probabling already investigating who leaked the files... regardless of the Pokémon stuff.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really wonder what could have been if this waited a year to more fully cook.

As is, between dexit and the variety of other issues, unless there's a major turn around, I'll probably end up skipping the next one(s) too.

Seriously, there's Megas/Ultra Beasts right in the game screen, lol. Definitely a time/budget issue, sure, but something that definitely wasn't an 'organic' thought from the start.

Realistically, though, TPC got money in the bank, they probably don't care at all.

Didn't Gamefreak or Nintendo say making different Pokemon work in the camp is why they cut so many Pokemon?

It was more of a 'general' animation/rigging issue for how many pokemon exist equaling too large of a workload, but that was part of it, I believe.

Home subs definitely didn't play a role at all, nosirree.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Interesting. Regardless of mine or honestly anyone's opinion on SwSh, the pokemon games absolutely deserve more development time. A yearly or even bi-yearly release is not necessary. Take your time and put everything you can in there with polish and care.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I know games aren't developed in the order they begin through to the end. :P

It was only the fact Route 1 was in that state that was my point. I know some even do the beginning last, it just felt weird for a beginning as crucial as Pokemon that would raise the importance of it enough to be finalized earlier... IMO.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
They just showed Greninja in the camp. Didn't Gamefreak or Nintendo say making different Pokemon work in the camp is why they cut so many Pokemon?

I think that's what was assumed, but I believe the statement they made had something to do with new models and animations. Which was of course debunked within hours of the game releasing, as people found out the models and animations were the exact same as previous games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Early menu. Definitely understand why they moved all of those online options into their own separate menu; too many options.

l7Vwy1J.png

Poke Jobs were part of the menu (bottom row, next to settings) instead of being accessed through Pokemon Center PCs; neat?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't they have had the first route of the game pretty much full modeled by now?

They'd need a long time to debug and QA a JRPG I'd bet, so you'd think the game would be very far along, assuming it began development at around holiday 2016 when Sun and Moon came out, if not earlier.
No, not necessarily. Having some experience playtesting large open world games, it's not unusual for huge chunks of the map to be missing and/or unfinished even when it's a year before going gold.

Pokémon isn't really a game that props routes as the main focus anyway. The battle system and all the mechanics likely takes up the lion's share of the development process and goes through the most testing. It'd also not be unusual for the first level to be done until late since many designers tackle it last as an introductory point to all the game's systems (though I'm not sure how much it compares to all the other routes in this beta).

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Seems like a lot of stuff got left behind during development. It happens a lot and it's not surprising at all, but it makes you wonder how much was cut because they decided not to do it and how much was cut because they didn't have enough time.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Wait - why are we condoning/spreading this? This wasn't legally obtained , nor is it legal to stream...
Not legally obtained - sure, can you prove it 100% though?

Not legal to stream - says who? Even if that's true, is it illegal to watch the stream? ;)

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
We went from this amazing start screen with glorious Megas...

Ek4nXw_VgAAaNpi

To...well, this...

maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
You've clearly never seen a game in development before. You can't infer the game was rushed from the state of a single snapshot more than a year before release.
You'd be shook at what most games look like not even a year before release.
Yeah I clarified what I meant and understood. :P

Your last bit there IS a legit concern because that screams horrific crunch to me in those cases. :/

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Man I really hope the next generation gets an extra year of development. Gamefreaks strategy just does not work. There is no excuse for Pokemon not to be a crazy high quality JRPG in gameplay, sound design, and visual design. SwSh were so clearly rushed out and Pokemon deserves better.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so they really did cut out megas in favor of dynamax at some point, huh?

Well, that just makes me even sadder than just having that implied.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
yeah thats a fair point, but making a comment implying devs are lazy/bad is shitty in general, but is extra shitty with a product still in development.
No one has said the devs are bad or lazy. I'm 100% sure that the reasons why Pokémon Sword and Shield is so shit is due to management, budget, and deadlines.

Oct 26, 2017
No, not necessarily. Having some experience playtesting large open world games, it's not unusual for huge chunks of the map to be missing and/or unfinished even when it's a year before going gold.

Pokémon isn't really a game that props routes as the main focus anyway. The battle system and all the mechanics likely takes up the lion's share of the development process and goes through the most testing. It'd also not be unusual for the first level to be done until late since many designers tackle it last as an introductory point to all the game's systems (though I'm not sure how much it compares to all the other routes in this beta).
That's a good explanation/point there.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
do you know how it was obtained?

is IP owned by Nintendo for sale legally? do you know that Nintendo gave permission to stream IP?

are you aware how notorious Nintendo is about IP protection, cracking on sites and suing people for leaking and sharing IP?

like what kind of bad faith argument are you pushing here?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
No one has said the devs are bad or lazy. I'm 100% sure that the reasons why Pokémon Sword and Shield is so shit is due to management, budget, and deadlines.
Definitely management. It sort of snowballs into budget and deadlines.

How is this beta. Looks like early concept to me. Also;: Why dont they just use Unity/Unreal ???

We got used to saying it's beta. I guess we can say it's alpha build?

Oct 27, 2017
This entire thread shows people STILL dont understand how game dev works
And its sad that we getting the "devs are lazy"comments again with no crackdown on it

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't they have had the first route of the game pretty much full modeled by now?

They'd need a long time to debug and QA a JRPG I'd bet, so you'd think the game would be very far along, assuming it began development at around holiday 2016 when Sun and Moon came out, if not earlier.

games aren't really developed linearly like that though

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I have nothing to add to the conversation other than saying how much I love watching content of unfinished builds. There's something magical about them.
Same. I've been fascinated with this stuff ever since accidentally stumbling on Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2.
This stream is entertaining, even though they're just running around empty environments (missing textures!).

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the title screen, while it is a good idea, I wonder why they didn't emphasize Galarian Pokemon. It feels like that's what the game should do considering it's a new generation.

Having said that, the theme of Gen VIII is battling, so it communicates that quite perfectly. I'm getting Stadium vibes too.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We went from this amazing start screen with glorious Megas...

Ek4nXw_VgAAaNpi

To...well, this...

maxresdefault.jpg
At least when you beat the game, you get to view yourself and your team that won you the Championship on camera in an updated title screen.

(The low-res, out of focus Pokeball is hideous, though.)

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Regarding the title screen, while it is a good idea, I wonder why they didn't emphasize Galarian Pokemon. It feels like that's what the game should do considering it's a new generation.

Having said that, the theme of Gen VIII is battling, so it communicates that quite perfectly. I'm getting Stadium vibes too.
They maybe didn't have the models done?

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018

Uh, no, it sounds like you're not a developer.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a perfect example of why you should never show the public an early build of anything, ever. People cannot handle it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least a handful of Galarian Pokemon done. Especially considering there wasn't much work to be done to the previous models anyway. Unless Creatures Inc. didn't export them to GF until much later.
Yeah, it's more that I mean they probably weren't 100% finished. Easier to stick old already 100% completed Pokémon in the beta. Well, except for the fact that was the excuse they used as to why a lot of old Pokémon were cut.

I don't know.