Which do you prefer?

• Quality

Votes: 1,222 42.3%
  • Performance

Votes: 1,668 57.7%

• Total voters

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about just this game or even necessarily just Resetera, though. It's common on many videogame forums.

Back at the release of both games, there were lots of people who insisted that there was nothing wrong with CP2077 or Battlefield 2042, or that the issues were overblown.
It's pretty common with Switch games too. A lot will swear that there is nothing wrong image quality-wise and performance-wise with games like Shin Megami Tensei V

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on PS5 Performance mode for now as its shitloads smoother, but since I only have a 1080p TV, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with Resolution Mode? It's choppy, clearly doing weird stuff with sharpness, and just feels fairly unplayable to me. It's still a great looking game in Performance, but this er, feels like it got booted out a bit too early.
Do you mind recording a short video of the areas with grass and moss in performance mode on your 1080p TV? I'm really curious what it looks like.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So I tried out quality mode on my CX last night with the X/Y sensitivity turned down 2 notches and motion blur set to medium and changing those settings did make it feel a little smoother and not as much of a slide show, I still went back to performance mode however but I think with those settings changed I could cope with playing at 30.

SnakeEater

Oct 31, 2017

Horizon Forbidden West – Patch 1.05

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience and support; we have just released the first patch for Horizon Forbidden West! Patch 1.05 fixes a number of issues and crashes that you reported. Here's what's been resolved, as well as what that are team is currently investigating:

PATCH NOTES

**KNOWN ISSUES**

We are currently looking into several issues reported by the community:

* The team is investigating with high priority, several graphical issues reported by players regarding shimmering, sharpening and screen saturation when moving the camera.
* Some players are experiencing an issue with infinite loading screens when attempting to load into Melee Pits.
* Some players are experiencing an issue where Aloy's outfit appears blurry in Photo Mode.
* Some players are experiencing an issue in main quest 'Reach for the Stars' where Aloy can't interact with a machine carcass, blocking progression.

​

**FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS**

**Main Quests**

* Fixed an issue in main quest 'Reach for the Stars' where reloading a certain auto-save after completing the first quest could block progression.
* Fixed an issue during interlude 'The Eye of the Earth' where Aloy could fall out of the world after skipping a cinematic.
* Fixed an issue in main quest 'Cradle of Echoes' where Varl would wander off on a reload from save.
* Fixed an issue in main quest 'The Sea of Sands' affecting several grapple points.

**Side Quests and Errands**

* Fixed an issue in side quest 'Blood Choke' where Atekka would appear to fall out of the sky.
* Fixed a progression issue in side quest 'In The Fog' related to fast travel during the quest.
* Fixed an issue in errand quest 'Night of Lights' where a pullable box could get stuck and block the quest progression.

**World activities**

* Fixed an issue where Relic Ruin: The Daunt could not be started in certain circumstances.
* Fixed an issue in salvage contract The Greenswell: Plowhorn and the Plants where an optional objective could not be completed if the required item was sent to the player stash.
* A rogue Tallneck near The Sand of the Sentinels that would sometimes change the direction of its route has been disciplined.

**Gameplay fixes**

* The Second Chance skill should now work correctly.
* Fixed an issue where the camera had an unintended position when using certain weapon techniques.

**General fixes**

* Image oversharpening in HDR mode has been corrected.
* Fixed an issue where some settlements would stream in, then stream out in certain circumstances.
* Fixed an issue where the HUD would flicker when the player performs a loot action.
* Fixed an issue where rapidly opening and closing the map could cause graphical anomalies.
* Fixed an issue where Aloy's animation would sometimes jitter rapidly when climbing after picking up a plant has been fixed.
* Fixed a global issue where the direction of Aloy's gaze, or that of certain NPCs, was incorrect.
* Fixed several instances where Aloy, NPCs or enemies could get stuck in geometry.
* Fixed an issue where roads and icons on the map would sometimes appear with a delay.
* Fixed several streaming issues and unintended loading screens.
* NPCs that seemed to suffer from insomnia and would gather in large groups at night in settlements should act more naturally now.
* Petra will no longer teleport into her seat inside the Chainscrape brewery if followed immediately after the initial conversation with her.

**Crash fixes**

* Fixed several crashes.

**Other**

* Various performance improvements.
* Various other minor fixes and cosmetic improvements.

Please continue to [inform us of any issues via the Support Form](https://www.playstation.com/en-us/horizon/support/). We appreciate those who have taken the time to submit a report already; they are immensely helpful for our teams!

Happy hunting! 🏹

–Guerrilla

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
1.005 is out now and it fixes HDR sharpening according to the notes. Nothing mentioned about a 40 fps mode unfortunately.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Really good for a first patch. It's a bit early to expect anything for the performance mode problems, but I'm confident we'll get a solution in the next few weeks if this is what their update looks like less than a week after release.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Both modes look the same after the patch. Shimmering still there in performance mode.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very curious to see how much this helps. They still list visual improvements as the first bullet point for their known issues, so I'm guessing it won't be a big impact, maybe it's just the lighting change when panning the camera?
It¡s probably based on older reports than what they've anounced working on Monday.

I guess they'll have to work on specific fixes for OLED panels here (at least for that shimmering effect that is unique too).

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose it makes sense that they focus first on fixing gameplay bugs which can break the game while optimisation takes a lot longer.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks a bit softer but more stable in performance mode to me but I'm not sure if it's just the area I'm in or what

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm crazy but quality mode feels a lot smoother post patch.

I downloaded the patch but played for a few minutes unpatched, then quit, installed it and went to the same place. Seemed the same to me but it was quite a dark scene. Im pretty sure I'm less sensitive to others of these types of changes though

Edit: oh, the shadows are fixed

Last edited:

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
Coming from PC where I played Horizon Zero Dawn at 4K using DLSS quality mode, forbidden west looks a noticeable downgrade in visuals even on the quality mode lol. The foliage was so much better on PC with DLSS that it looks atrocious to me now even on quality mode. i am definitely playing this in quality mode on my CX but this game really is begging for DLSS.

pablogers

Oct 27, 2017
For some weird reason after the update quality is much more fluid. Before i was playing on performance (always play 60fps), but quality now seems much better

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it definitely looks better. Of course there is still shimmering but lowering the sharpening on HDR makes the game looks so much better now. I went back to the gate where you cross to the west and that was by far the worse looking part regarding sharpening and now it looks fine.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I had no issue with quality mice prepatch. Now it's smoother and looks more like ZD. I want the hyper sharp game i was playing. Can i uninstall the patch?

May 26, 2018
Been on performance mode almost the entire time now. Can't imagine some of these battles in 30FPS. There just wouldn't be enough info to react in time!

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I just got to the Arena.... the Resolution mode isn't holding up..... low 20s for sure. But on the regular game is very stable.

Switched to the performance mode in the Arena and things feels better (50s is way better than 20s).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Having played the game on a 4K OLED yeah, I'll stay on performance. The IQ difference from a typical living room viewing distance isn't that big.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having played the game on a 4K OLED yeah, I'll stay on performance. The IQ difference from a typical living room viewing distance isn't that big.
It's crazy big and for'me the game is plainly bad looking in performance. Low rez and aliasing shimmering everywhere. Something I though long gone.

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy big and for'me the game is plainly bad looking in performance. Low rez and aliasing shimmering everywhere. Something I though long gone.

Agreed. Not sure if its just an OLED thing or maybe some just don't care but I sit about 8 ft away and all the shimmering and aliasing is completely immersion breaking for me. Not to mention, ugly af lol. Hope they figure out a different approach quickly. I look at AC Valhalla as comparison, it has a lot of vegetation and doesn't look as bad.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't know what 1.05 did exactly, but I tried Performance again and it looks a lot better now. Good enough for me to switch from Quality.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
i think they should begin to make 60 fps working ! Still working on it... 2 weeks not even news on how thing advance... i have a bad feeling.

Raising the image quality in performance mode would require a lot of work since they would basically have to change their AA method to a stronger type of TAA that would blur the image. Adding a 40 fps mode and using the performance left on the table to raise resolution and therefore minimize aliasing should be a much easier fix since they already got dynamic resolution scale. I would not expect a fix for the image quality in performance mode

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
It is an actual eyesore at 60fps imo. Once I got here, I won't say where because spoilers, it's extremely noticeable what's happening. I zoomed in so it's more obvious. This 100% needs fixing in my opinion. FYI it's okay to criticize something that's below expectation. No need to keep defending it.

Agreed. Switched to quality and it took a few minutes but my eyes adjusted to the framerate and I am satisfied.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Raising the image quality in performance mode would require a lot of work since they would basically have to change their AA method to a stronger type of TAA that would blur the image. Adding a 40 fps mode and using the performance left on the table to raise resolution and therefore minimize aliasing should be a much easier fix since they already got dynamic resolution scale. I would not expect a fix for the image quality in performance mode

True, but we are not a lot with 120hz panel to support this... But agree in ratchet it was amazing.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah after today's patch I noticed they definitely cleaned the image up a bit in terms of shimmering and just overall less noise so it looks much better but you can still easily tell their AA/reconstruction method is holding performance mode back. Quality mode feels much better as well and that might be down to how the camera feels and less jitter but I find it way easier on the eyes.

Also is it jarring to anyone else that silent take downs with the spear seem to always be way out of place?? Like sometimes it's not even on the body.

Last edited:

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Necro bump, sorry but I just got a ps5 with this game. I don't know if Guerilla is still working on patches for this game, but the performance mode IQ is, well, trash.. I wish I could stomach 30fps, but it feels like a slideshow. Problem is, performance mode looks so bad, aliasing and shimmering galore. I know it uses checkerboard rendering, but I played TLOU2 just after and it looked miles better using what I understand is the same technique. Am I missing something?

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I'm finally done with elden ring and ready to go back to this game but its depressing that they haven't solved this issue.

When I was playing it at launch both options were just bad. :(