• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
How can HZD can even compete with the coup de théatre that is the
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
in Wolfenstein 2?
W2 was definitely robbed

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Is the award a joke?. Did they only take into consideration games that they personally played?. I'm quite surprised Fifa 18 didn't make the cut.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Horizon has a neat backstory but the actual script itself is mediocre, with an extremely forgettable cast and dialogue that just doesn't crackle.

Looking at the other nominees, it makes sense it would win though. What a competitive award.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I like to see what they do next, because all the interesting things were in Flashbacks imo, the "present" story and characters weren't so interesting.

They still have to do something, I expected would have happened at the end of the game, but didn't. I guess that happens in the sequel.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose it is a bit better than most games, but I thought plenty of games were doing a much better job. Most of the strength lies in its backstory which is told through holograms which don't give a lot of options for visual storytelling.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Incredibly low, neither the writing nor the dialogue are standout. In fact Aloy is so flat it's not even funny.

Only interesting part was that cool chick that saved the Queen.

You talking about Vanasha? Her, Sylens, and the bandit killer guy are cool as hell. Best characters in the game, easily. Aloy is pretty one-dimensional and her character development ends after the first few hours.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, I think the story and characters were amazing in HZD, easily a standout in this year's games, even with such a stiff competition.
HZD got an amazing main line story, very strong side quests, very interesting characters, but also a very on point emphasis on diversity and Women emporment in a post post Apocalypse setting which makes it quite unique.

Congrats to GG, and I hope John Gonzalez stays on board for Zero Dawn 2.

Edit: I see the tradition of several on Era to shit on HZD whenever possible is well and alive. I'm really not sure what makes the haters come out of the woods quite as much as for this specific title really.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Off the top of my head; Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, What Remains of Edith Finch, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Yakuza 0, Night in the Woods.

I haven't played it yet but going by the first game and the developer's previous work, I'm sure the writing in Divinity: OS2 is fantastic.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon deserved it. The writing in that game is phenomenal. Really surprised me how good the story was. The ending was also great and satisfying.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Off the top of my head; Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, What Remains of Edith Finch, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Yakuza 0, Night in the Woods.

I haven't played it yet but going by the first game and the developer's previous work, I'm sure the writing in Divinity: OS2 is fantastic.

Whats so good about the writing in let's say persona 5 that horizon doesn't come close to it

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The writing in the game was good but the way it was delivered along with the general mediocrity of the overall plot means that I wouldn't call this game outstanding in this regard. Though I'm far from well vested in fantastic writing and/or plots I'll admit. Danganronpa V3 was the most plot-heavy game of 2017 that I liked the most. I'd have picked that.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
For what it's worth, I was making fun of the awards and the competition it faced in general than Horizon itself. It's not the first year I've poked fun at it either. :p

I'd make fun of those awards too tbh. But after the Game Awards, I'd hope people would just let it have this one. It's no skin off their backs.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
While Horizon is a totally enjoyable experience, I still find it to be a totally average game that was given a lot of praise thanks to Sony's marketing machine really cranking the shit out of the hype train. I've compared it before to a really cute guy you meet in a bar who impresses your friends and acts real smart, but turns out to be a totally plain and average person in the end. Nice to be around, but unremarkable on closer inspection. At least your parents will be impressed when you take him home.
For me it's up there with Bloodborne. A thoroughly engrossing story and amazing gameplay mechanics. That's without mentioning the graphics.

I don't know what it is this gen, and this is not referring specially to you, but amazing, well recieved, games always seem to come in for some sort of revisionist history where their quality is underplayed. I see it with Uncharted 4 too.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I found the character dialogue, side quests and main plot to be average at best. What really won me over in the writing department were Elizabeth's flashbacks and the lore documents. I'm rooting for GG to pull an Uncharted 2 and blow it out of the park with Horizon's sequel.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): History of low quality, low effort posts that call out users instead of discussing the contents of the thread
We so many writers experts in the thread
This industry is missing out

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Constant console wars posting to defend their favorite games instead of actually discussing the contents of the thread
Yup my post was just a joking reference to a toungue-in-cheek meme circulating after HZD got snubbed at the game awards. No need to be defensive. And what am I looking at here anyway, a hand-uploaded screenshot of a line of text reading "Horizon Zero Dawn - 50 GOTYs"?
Feel free to visit Gotypicksany time you want.

Man, even when it wins people find ways to downplay it.
Yep:
Conditions for an Horizon win.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I don't know what it is this gen, and this is not referring specially to you, but amazing, well recieved, games always seem to come in for some sort of revisionist history where their quality is underplayed. I see it with Uncharted 4 too.
Could just be some people don't like the games as much as others. You shouldn't be implying they're lying or are incorrect for that.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Writers Guild of America, so it removes a lot of competition (like Nier: Automata and The Witcher 3).

Honestly, Horizon Zero Dawn really had a weak story and characters, Aloy was a boring "I am the good-est person of all good!"-type characters with little to no flaws, the characters she met had little development and engagement, the side-quests were very shallow affairs of "My village is under attack by bad people, kill the bad people." *kills the bad people* "Good, you killed the bad people and that's it. No twists or anything. We're done. Bye."

The one thing I liked in the writing was the backstory of the world that told a quite harrowing tale of total despair that was really felt the more you explored that past history. That was the thing I was more interested in than the main story.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man, my post was a joke. You seem legit upset about it though haha.... chill out, no one is attacking you or the game. I love Horizon and am really happy for John Gonzalez and the team.
There's nothing more funny than watching a certain group of people downplaying HZD's success. So yeah, I will start chillin' as soon as I've wiped away my tears :'( *cries*

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Really loved the story. One of the best stories (especially sci fi) that I have come across in gaming. HZD2 will be hype!

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I think the story was stronger than the actual writing. That said, I really liked the writing and acting of the main characters, Aloy was well written.
But I would put other games above it, UC Lost Legacy for example.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Feel free to visit Gotypicksany time you want.

Yep:
Relax buddy your game is good and loved by many. Besides Horizon's story is good especially in the video game realm.
Though developers still seem to find it hard to create female protagonists that are not bland.
It's ridiculous that a character like Kat from Gravity Rush has more character then Aloy without a full fledged backstory and constant exposition.