• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hot...-couple-enjoying-breakfast-bed-123801165.html

pR9PqtI.jpg

Sofitel Brisbane, a hotel in Brisbane, Australia, is being accused of gender stereotyping after publishing a seemingly innocent yet apparently sexist ad of a young couple having breakfast in bed.

Lounging in their bathrobes, with a selection of croissants, fruit salad, and other baked goods on display, the couple stare lovingly into each other's eyes — but it's their reading material that has social media users up in arms.

A closer look reveals the woman is halfway through a Chanel coffee-table book, while the man is catching up on the Australian Financial Review.

Elizabeth Redman, a reporter at the newspaper the Australian, called out the Brisbane hotel on Twitter, writing "your breakfast looks delicious … just wanted to let you know I'm a woman and I also read the Financial Review every day".

Sofitel Brisbane swiftly responded to Redman and other critics, claiming that they never meant to reinforce archaic gender roles.

Hi, we appreciate you voicing your concerns. There was no intention of portraying a stereotype, but we recognise it & apologise for any offence it has caused. The creative has been pulled from any future activity. Feel free to send us a DM if you'd like to discuss further

— Sofitel Brisbane (@SofitelBrisbane) October 8, 2018

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just make the same ad again but instead they're browsing ResetEra together.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
A couple enjoying breakfast on their bed? My fiancé and I do this for breakfast all the time. Our kitchen table isn't even for eating, it's for arts and crafts for her preschool teacher job lol.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's a micro aggression.

May seen miniscule, but this stuff adds up. If people are offended by it then it's a valid concern, and we should respect that. Given their response the hotel seems to respect that as well.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Seems mostly fine to me. These are things two people could do in a bed, their interest is their own. I mean sure, it could have been a bit more aware and just had them both reading the paper, but, seems fine. But I'm also not one to say what people should or shouldn't be offended by, so if they are, they probably feel they have a good reason.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... I guess I mean.... yeah. If anything it shows how subconsciously this stuff seeps into every day life. I don't think there is any agenda here, but rather a symptom of systemic sexism ingrained in our culture.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is only a bit better than an ad where the guy is reading the paper and the wife is in the kitchen getting dinner ready. But I guess youre fine with that as well. Good for you.
This is way different. I know plenty of career oriented, modern women who enjoy reading about fashion. Especially if they're just lazing around relaxing. The ad is harmless.

Edit: nice attempt at moving the goalposts in a "gotcha" move btw. You really caught my horrible sexist views.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm confused.. Are financial reviews associated with power and by that extension masculinity? Is she not intelligent enough to understand anything further than the decorative appeal of coffee tables?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how Elizabeth Redman is book shaming the model. Is she subtly calling her dumb because she likes to read a Chanel coffee-table book and not The Financial Times? That's an awful thing to do. She should be ashamed.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the hotel has the right to assume what a man and women enjoy reading. Should have had them just eating breakfast.

Oct 29, 2017
There is often an art director behind it all who was too concerned about picking props depending on what things looked best on camera.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should apologize for the lies that image showcases, I mean who even reads the paper anymore its all about the ipad.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's exactly this kind of over-sensitivity that makes people vote their freedoms away.

Also, it's such a non-newsworthy story when you consider that the second the hotel realised how the advert could be construed, they immediately said "Shit, you could be right, sorry, we stopped it". Job done. Whoop-di-doo!

(Except now the story can be used to wind up right wing types.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly thought this was going to be about how the woman seems to have a bunch of fruit on her side while the man has the meat.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the article, nor the person calling it out in the report, are saying that the photographer or hotel is sexist, but it does speak to how institutionalized gender roles are in our culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.