OP
OP
Trojita

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
qx1zCG9.png

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
So then if an Irish person should never be shown drinking?

Of course not. The context matters.

You can show a pub full of Irish people having a good time and being responsible drinkers.

It would be another thing entirely if you contrasted an Irish person drinking with other people doing more "respectable" tasks, such as an Englishman in a suit working at an intellectual office job.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Talk about outrage for the sake of outrage here. This is such a small thing, and there are still women who like fashion and girly things.

This is getting to be too much.

i know right, can you BELIEVE that One (1) person would just go on Twitter Dot Com and make a post about their opinion on something?

talk about outrage for the sake of outrage, this is getting to be too much ;)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe she likes reading that magazine? Did you think about that? No, you only think about yourself.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just stereotypical. How offended you get depends on you.

Most people aren't, some are. Just be aware that portraying people as having set "places" or roles in a relationship can be harmful longterm.

Oct 29, 2017
Changing the book or newspaper to electronic devices just diminishes the composition, that is not a fix, you just have to replace them with non-descript book and newspaper. And yes you have to keep one a book and one a newspaper for the sake of size variety unless you want it to be more boring.

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Don't really understand the reactions in this thread. I think the woman who made this comment is right, and her comment sounded very harmless and not at all "outraged" like some people here claim. And the hotel also didn't react badly, they immediately agreed and even apologized. It's just a fact that women often get shown in such a way, like they are a bit dumb or incompetent. And if this constantly happened to you, wouldn't you want to call it out?

I think the "real" problem here is this lame article who tries to downplay / make fun of the situation and the commenters. Just look at how the article is written, they are using "sexist" in quotes or write "apparently sexist". The headline suggests that they apologize because people were offended by a "couple enjoying breakfast in bed", when that's not the case at all. But the comments who don't agree with the woman are shown without any negativity, and aren't even especially smart. "It must feel awesome to have run out of real things to complain about." Right, we should never speak about certain things because there are always bigger problems? That makes no sense.

So yes, maybe the real problem here really is this article that wants to further feed the narrative of there being an "outrage culture", just because someone somewhere spent 5 seconds writing a comment to a picture. The horror, our society will perish!

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
To be honest I couldn't tell what was sexist about the photo until the article pointed out it was the reading material..... That says a lot.

Dec 22, 2017
It's not defaulting anything. The man happens to read a newspaper and the woman reads something else. The mistake is people looking for hidden messages in ads and other places where there isn't supposed to be any message.

It's an advertisment, of course there are hidden messages. None of this is happenstance. Every single thing in an ad is contrived to elicit a response.

i know right, can you BELIEVE that One (1) person would just go on Twitter Dot Com and make a post about their opinion on something?

talk about outrage for the sake of outrage, this is getting to be too much ;)

LOL exactly.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
WTAF is sexist about it?

Absolutely nothing is sexist about it. Nothing in the tweet even references that she finds it offensive that the woman is reading a fashion mag, or that she doesn't even like fashion mags. It's as simple as "Oh hey, I just want to point out that, I also read the Financial Review" and then in comes the explosion of stereotyping genders from people completely unrelated. Who are we to say that Elizabeth Redman doesn't ALSO like Chanel?

Like I guess good on the hotel for acknowledging it in a sensitive manner, but my goodness.

A few hours ago this forum was outraged by an attractive woman posing on a thumbnail for a show she produced and hosts. I am curious what you guys find more outrageous.

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I get it, but like its so minor I can't see a reason to get upset.

You don't need to work yourself into being upset. It's sufficient to say "Yeah, that's reinforcing gender stereotypes in an unhealthy way. Glad the hotel pulled the ad and apologized."

There are different degrees of sexism that exist. This one is fairly mild, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't point it out. And it definitely doesn't mean that we should shame or denounce people who do point it out in healthy and productive ways.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
I think the woman who made this comment is right, and her comment sounded very harmless and not at all "outraged" like some people here claim. And the hotel also didn't react badly, they immediately agreed and even apologized.

While I think the hotel did the right thing by immediately apologizing and pulling the ad, I don't think they immediately agree. Given the power of social media, the last thing they want is *any* negative press. Shit like this spreads out quickly and the hotel doesn't want any of that. It's easier to take the path of least resistance and just do what they did. It just sucks that they had to in the first place for this instance.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. The context matters.

You can show a pub full of Irish people having a good time and being responsible drinkers.

It would be another thing entirely if you contrasted an Irish person drinking with other people doing more "respectable" tasks, such as an Englishman in a suit working at an intellectual office job.

Oh I get it now, sorry. At first I didn't realize a single ad showing a woman looking at a coffee table book while having breakfast was disrespecting females everywhere.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
pV1rUZC.png

Fixed. Was it REALLY that hard Sofitel Brisbane? Really?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We get it. You don't care, but you care enough to come into a thread people do care about and laugh at their perspectives.

We get it. You don't care.

It's not defaulting anything. The man happens to read a newspaper and the woman reads something else. The mistake is people looking for hidden messages in ads and other places where there isn't supposed to be any message.

No one is saying this is a "hidden message". Not everything people find fault with is a hidden message put by another person. Almost all the time it's just ingrained bias. It very well could be a coincidence the man is reading a financial work while the woman is reading about coffee tables, but that's very stereotypical and should be examined.

Oct 25, 2017
imagine if every time you expressed an off-hand opinion on something, everyone accused you of being hysterical and of getting outraged at the slightest provocation

that sure would be annoying, wouldn't it?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You don't need to work yourself into being upset. It's sufficient to say "Yeah, that's reinforcing gender stereotypes in an unhealthy way. Glad the hotel pulled the ad and apologized."

There are different degrees of sexism that exist. This one is fairly mild, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't point it out. And it definitely doesn't mean that we should shame or denounce people who do point it out in healthy and productive ways.
You right.

Better question is why are they reading and not eating?

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely nothing is sexist about it. Nothing in the tweet even references that she finds it offensive that the woman is reading a fashion mag, or that she doesn't even like fashion mags. It's as simple as "Oh hey, I just want to point out that, I also read the Financial Review" and then in comes the explosion of stereotyping genders from people completely unrelated.

Like I guess good on the hotel for acknowledging it in a sensitive manner, but my goodness.

The outrage is ridiculous, but at this point, I am just no longer surprised at all.
You're right about the outrage being ridiculous as always. I just don't understand why male posters insist on throwing a hissy fit when some people point out the issues of a ad that, consciously or not, reinforces gender stereotypes.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I get it now, sorry. At first I didn't realize a single ad showing a woman looking at a coffee table book while having breakfast was disrespecting females everywhere.

I know that you're just trying to egg me on at this point, but I'll point out that (again) context matters. Your own description of the ad is leaving out important details.

An ad with a woman reading a coffee table book is fine.

An ad with a woman reading a fashion coffee table book (which many people in society would consider vapid, useless, vain) while sitting next to a man reading a financial newspaper (intellectual, hardworking, bread-winner) is a different sort of beast.

There's nothing inherently wrong with pictures of Irish people drinking. There's nothing inherently wrong with pictures of women reading coffee table books. Context matters.

Oct 25, 2017

oh i get it now, sorry. i didn't realize that a woman making a snarky Tweet about a hotel ad pointing out a common trend in media was disrespecting males everywhere.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
You're right about the outrage being ridiculous as always. I just don't understand why male posters insist on throwing a hissy fit when some people point out the issues of a ad that, consciously or not, reinforces gender stereotypes.

That's what you consider a hissy fit?

Also, if this is an unconscious stereotype of genders, than i guess everything in daily life is a stereotype of genders. From the clothes we all wear to the shampoo we use.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Both of them should be using their smartphones and ignoring each other.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This is way different. I know plenty of career oriented, modern women who enjoy reading about fashion. Especially if they're just lazing around relaxing. The ad is harmless.

Edit: nice attempt at moving the goalposts in a "gotcha" move btw. You really caught my horrible sexist views.

It's a microaggression that enforces gender stereotypes.

Why not show them both reading the same thing? Or her reading the Economist and him reading the New York Times?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it would be easy to shop a new cover on her book. Not sure the whole ad needed to be pulled

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
The problem is less that someone find it troubling, but rather that it made news. To me, anyway.

There is a problem about advertisements reinforcing old values, and this is definitely one of them. If we're all agreeing that we need to get rid of the archaic values, then them admitting this is a step, albeit tiny, forward.

The real problem here is that this is completely un-newsworthy, it plays into that "SJW snowflakes" scenario we're all too familiar with. I mean, this is like someone complaining about a hotel's restaurant's food this one time, and some idiot decided to make it news. There is no excessive outrage, there is no insane backlash, but this making the news continues to push that "outrage culture" nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
While I think the hotel did the right thing by immediately apologizing and pulling the ad, I don't think they immediately agree. Given the power of social media, the last thing they want is *any* negative press. Shit like this spreads out quickly and the hotel doesn't want any of that. It's easier to take the path of least resistance and just do what they did. It just sucks that they had to in the first place for this instance.

Got anything to back this up, or is this an arse-pull to justify a narrative that they are just buckling under the pressure of all the outrage and not, as they said in their statement, that they didn't intend to reinforce gender stereotypes?

Pog

Banned
May 19, 2018
Times are too peaceful right now and people are getting restless, so every single day someone chooses something so mundane and stupid to argue about just to add some thrill and excitement to their humdrum lives. How long must these peaceful times persist until people remember how to just live their lives and survive?

Oct 25, 2017
it's in the goddamn name you guys, people call them "microaggressions" because they don't want to make a big deal out of it but do want to point out how a trend of continual little annoyances adds up

kinda like how if Chad is constantly negging you it might become grating after a while even though he isn't doing anything egregiously wrong

like you know you'd look foolish if you complained about him in public, but he's still engaging in a pattern of annoying behavior that reinforces his standing over you

it's not that hard of a concept to grasp, really

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is less that someone find it troubling, but rather that it made news. To me, anyway.

There is a problem about advertisements reinforcing old values, and this is definitely one of them. If we're all agreeing that we need to get rid of the archaic values, then them admitting this is a step, albeit tiny, forward.

The real problem here is that this is completely un-newsworthy, it plays into that "SJW snowflakes" scenario we're all too familiar with. I mean, this is like someone complaining about a hotel's restaurant's food this one time, and some idiot decided to make it news. There is no excessive outrage, there is no insane backlash, but this making the news continues to push that "outrage culture" nonsense.

Agreed. But that's the business that small time trash journalists are involved in nowadays. Finding small controversies and then screencaping tweets with literally 0 retweets as a "sampling of public opinion".

And then it gets posted on ResetERA and half the posters yell "Outrage culture strikes again!!" and now we become a vehicle for perpetuating the problem.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
The ad is pretty much harmless, but the stereotyping is clearly there. And it looks like the reporter who brought up the issue has faced some harassment on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
Times are too peaceful right now and people are getting restless, so every single day someone chooses something so mundane and stupid to argue about just to add some thrill and excitement to their humdrum lives. How long must these peaceful times persist until people remember how to just live their lives and survive?

i can't believe someone would go an write an entire paragraph about One (1) tweet

they must not have enough going on in their life

Status
Not open for further replies.