• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The trailer for Age of Empires 4 was by far the biggest and most watched trailer on YouTube of all the X019 trailers. But it seems on ResetEra the game doesn't get that much coverage and isn't talked about a whole lot. Do strategy fans not visit resetera? Or gaming forums in general?

X019 stats:
Age of Empires 4: 1.7 milion views
Microsoft Flight Simulator: 507k views
Xbox Game Pass: 245k views
EverWild: 235k views
Grounded: 170k views
Tell Me Why: 150k views

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
This is a console centric forum, where Microsoft is distance third when it comes to popularity.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the only one who matters on Era and I'm extremely excited that we finally have gameplay footage. It's all I've wanted from E3 and Gamescom since it was announced 3 years ago.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Strategy games, in general, have almost zero mindshare on Era.

Which is sort of a weird problem where a lack of interest leads to a lack of threads on it, which in turn drives a lack of interest.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because even though this is a hardcore gaming forum it's still super console centric and on top of that this site is incredibly Sony/Nintendo biased

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
ERA is largely console focused, this shouldn't be anything new.

Games like Dota 2 and CS:GO have a very small presence on this forum despite being one of the most popular games out there.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Age is one of most valuable IPs in the industry, and it is one rare franchise that's hardcore and has mainstream apeal with big legacy at the same time.

Minecraft, Halo and Age are biggest XGS IP's.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it's just a console heavy community. Stuff like strategy games and sim games have a following, but they never get much traction compared to AAA stuff.

Which is kind of odd, since I've always had the impression Era skews older, and that demographic seems to line up? But who knows.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm certainly looking forward to it but I don't remember if I posted in the trailer thread. Not a lot to say about it - it looks good, but we still don't really know anything about the game.

And yeah, Era definitely skews toward console gamers who aren't going to care about this series anyway.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm more interested in AoE4 than in all of the remaining games in that list combined... but there doesn't seem to be much to discuss about it yet.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I think it's partially just because the RTS community is prone to just going back to whatever RTS they're currently playing until the new hotness actually releases. I'll get very excited about AoE4 when it actually comes out. The trailer looked amazing, but there just isn't that much to talk about right now.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
ERA is very console focused. Also AOE is an older franchise, I assume era skews younger than that.

Also not much to discuss. I remember the AOE4 announcement got a lot of traction on here though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's like with with every RTS games. The reason is likely because this forum is mainly populated by console players.

Every time I make a thread about C&C, barely anyone posts and it breaks my heart.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
PC is my main platform and I'm barely interested in AoE 4. Even within PC players community, strategy games are quite niche.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big AoE and RTS fan and can't wait for AOE4. I honestly didn't think I'd see the day we'd get a 4th. But lets face it, RTS games in general, but especially AoE have always been niche and that's going to be represented in the amount of chatter about them on general gaming forums.

Now, lets talk about Age of Mythology 2, Microsoft...

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are a lot of big PC franchises that get little to no attention on this forum, in particular from the strategy and simulator genres. It's no exaggeration when people say Era (and GAF before) leans heavily toward consoles.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much nostalgia for AoE I think, but there's not that much to actually talk about in regards to imo. Very few details, no date, not much intrigue, looks nice but that says so little in regards to an RTS. It's also PC only.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
PC is my main platform and I'm barely interested in AoE 4. Even within PC players community, strategy games are quite niche.

Is it though?

vZECaiq.jpg

A remaster of a 1999 game is doing these kind of numbers.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Stuff like strategy games and sim games have a following, but they never get much traction compared to AAA stuff.

Growing up I would have absolutely considering the Age series an AAA franchise.

I think the biggest reason for this is that in general, the entire RTS genre just doesn't scream AAA anymore. The last big RTS title was, what, Starcraft 2? That's almost a decade old, it's newest expansion will be 5 next year. Outside of SC2, there's been nothing that has been super relevant in the traditional RTS genre at all this decade, nobody cares about stuff like Grey Goo, 8 Bit Armies, or Halo Wars 2. The entire traditional RTS genre has been completely eclipsed by MOBAs this decade.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is it though?

vZECaiq.jpg

A remaster of a 1999 game is doing these kind of numbers.
Age of Empires 2? Yeah, that's everyone's strategy game. Even I did play it at some point before.

But that number is probably the highest you could possibly have when it comes to strategy games. Compare it to the other more popular genres, and you get your answer. Strategy is niche.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
RTS in here isn't very popular to say the least. TW games struggle to get much of an attractions here despite releasing a game every year, and being the most popular on PC right now (same goes for Paradox too)

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Age of Empires 2? Yeah, that's everyone's strategy game. Even I did play it at some point before.

But that number is probably the highest you could possibly have when it comes to strategy games. Compare it to the other more popular genres, and you get your answer. Strategy is niche.

I know they're not real time strategy games, but there are two other strategy games on that list above AoE2.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is AoE IV is a going to be only available on the Windows Store? Or will it get a Steam release like AoE and AoE II?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This forum is not reflective of the larger gaming audience. Single player console games are disproportionately popular here.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I actually think there is stuff to talk about. Mostly about base building, the Mongolian civilization and the graphic style.

IA4pywF.jpg

But maybe I'm a bit of a rts freak. :')

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

There are two strategy games higher than AoE2DE just on that screenshot and tons more below it. Strategy is one of the most consistently popular genres on Steam. Unless you mean just RTS?

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
The trailer for Age of Empires 4 was by far the biggest and most watched trailer on YouTube of all the X019 trailers. But it seems on ResetEra the game doesn't get that much coverage and isn't talked about a whole lot. Do strategy fans not visit resetera? Or gaming forums in general?
Possibly because the core mechanics flies above shooters on a US centric forum.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
How many of those views were paid? Can't trust plain view counts. Did the video "trend"? If it got such huge views but didn't trend, then likely those are juiced views.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a short and basic trailer. I'd consider myself a PC gamer and strategy fan but there's very little to get "hyped" about. Views don't necessarily reflect that.

Oct 25, 2017

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
in all honesty, as someone excited for it, that was barely a thing. Wasn't visually impressive and certainly didn't show any gameplay. So it was like "cool, in-game stuff" but I need more than that. My doubts of Relic taking over are still there and nothing in the trailer made me think otherwise
Can we talk about how Civ V is still up there nine years and one direct sequel after launch, too?
Civ V is legit top notch. May be a bit slow but that is about the only bad thing about that game. Civ VI missed the mark greatly

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mix of this forum being console dominated, and it's not a great place to talk about Xbox related content. It's often said, but stands true that era, along with several other forums is a vocal minority.

When I say its Console dominated, you must remember that some of the biggest games in the industry is nonexistent on Era such as Dota and CSGO.

With that said AoE4 is looking awesome and has a lot of potential to be one of the best RTS games on the market. I imagine it will be incredibly successful too. The gaming community is much much larger than Resetera