• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
RTS games tend to have a loyal following, especially PC focused ones with a long heritage.

Also, they are much harder to show off and impress people, unlike graphical showstopper eye candy console games.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'm one of those diehards who still plays Civ 4 sometimes. It's been out of Steam's top played list for an eternity though.

Somehow VI has just never resonated with me very well.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
How many of those views were paid? Can't trust plain view counts. Did the video "trend"? If it got such huge views but didn't trend, then likely those are juiced views.
Nah Age of Empires just has that type of clout. Out of all the games revealed only Minecraft Dungeon has more name recognition.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How many of those views were paid? Can't trust plain view counts. Did the video "trend"? If it got such huge views but didn't trend, then likely those are juiced views.

Well, you can never know for sure. But the AoE trailer also has the most likes of all these trailers.

AoE4: 27k likes
MSFS: 19k likes
Xbox Game Pass: 11k likes
EverWild: 5k likes
Grounded: 2.7k likes (and 6k dislikes)
Tell Me Why: 4.2k likes (and 1.5k dislikes)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've not played a ton of Age of Empires II, but aesthetically speaking, I always loved the way the game looks. Welcome changes I've seen from the trailer so far seem to include 360 degree turning of buildings and walls that actually mesh properly across different levels of elevation instead of just being individual blocks that just seem to stack next each other. Lots of of foliage on the ground and the wheat patches on the farms look really nice. Not to mention, all the soldiers atop of the castle walls is really neat, as are the destruction animations. Really super hyped for this!

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Gaming Industry is console centric, where Microsoft is distance third when it comes to popularity
I was answering the ops questions in regards to this forum but your not wrong in regards to MS popularity. However the games industry is actually quite mobile centric, and PC also generates more revenue than console gaming.
Money.

Blizzard is the exception
I'm not sure of what you mean. Money MS has plenty of that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well System Shock 3 traielr or news didn't get as many attention here but a Bioshock news or game will always get more. i don't blame anyone here, most of them aren't that old to have grown up with sereis as important as AOE or System Shock. they staretd with mid 2000 famous games which are a rehash and simplified cloens of very advanced old games like those so the importance that such gets games get are thanks to pure affection and nostalgia from old gamers.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Even aside from Era being a bubble or not, I just don't think it's the kind of trailer that generates a lot of discussion. People weren't mad about it, but there wasn't enough info to generate a lot of discussion. It's like... the least controversial thing they could have shown. Even around here there will probably be way more talk once the game releases or there's a big info blowout.

On a personal level, I'm always wary of getting majorly involved with the strategy game scene. For whatever reason a significant chunk of the hardcore strategy audience is always weirdly libertarian and/or paleoconservative and it skeeves me out. Not saying that it's true for anything more than say... a third of the strategy community, but they're always very hardcore about it. At least in my experience.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Growing up I would have absolutely considering the Age series an AAA franchise.

I think the biggest reason for this is that in general, the entire RTS genre just doesn't scream AAA anymore. The last big RTS title was, what, Starcraft 2? That's almost a decade old, it's newest expansion will be 5 next year. Outside of SC2, there's been nothing that has been super relevant in the traditional RTS genre at all this decade, nobody cares about stuff like Grey Goo, 8 Bit Armies, or Halo Wars 2. The entire traditional RTS genre has been completely eclipsed by MOBAs this decade.
Total War is consistently AAA

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing and misrepresenting a community
Pc gaming is actually pretty... massive.

It has many people who don't really care about games in general, and they just know only the wow etc.

That's why I chose the word industry. You can see that resetera is representative of how the industry sees gaming(ex. events, big games etc)

Imo resetera is 100% representative of what is happening out there. Sony, Nintendo and then xbox pc.
Either way, resetera is a free gaming forum without labels, not a ghetto.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the people on the predecessor to this forum spent years arguing about whether the biggest PC games actually counted as 'real' games.

I'm going to say it's because how Console centric this place is.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The trailer isnt all that much to go by tbh too.
The AOE2 youtuber i watch that has been making AOE videos since youtube was 360p only made a 1 min 40s video on it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It has many people who don't really care about games in general, and they just know only the wow etc.

That's why I chose the word industry. You can see that resetera is representative of how the industry sees gaming(ex. events, big games etc)

Imo resetera is 100% representative of what is happening out there. Sony, Nintendo and then xbox pc.

This is myopic, to say the least. Like, incredibly so. But whatever.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've not played a ton of Age of Empires II, but aesthetically speaking, I always loved the way the game looks. Welcome changes I've seen from the trailer so far seem to include 360 degree turning of buildings and walls that actually mesh properly across different levels of elevation instead of just being individual blocks that just seem to stack next each other. Lots of of foliage on the ground and the wheat patches on the farms look really nice. Not to mention, all the soldiers atop of the castle walls is really neat, as are the destruction animations. Really super hyped for this!

The destruction in the trailer didn't impress me that much tbh. What they've done with the 2d destruction in AoE2 looks really impressive. I guess it's hard to mimic this in AoE4.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Wat... No... Just no.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I had friends message me on Facebook about this game. Friends I haven't spoken to in 10 years. Friends that don't game anymore.

AoE2 was absolutely MASSIVE back in the day for a ton of my friends.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Someone that plays just wow doesn't count. But we count the players that just play Madden?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
maybe it's shown as youtube ads? I think a couple of days ago it was still around 3-400k views. Not that I mind more people seeing it, I'll be getting it for sure.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
If WOW players dont count as PC gamers, console audience in europe can be halved, since most console people i know just play Fifa every year.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Era is a console focused forum id say and one where lets be real....any Xbox focused thread besides the OT turns into complete shit. Has 2 pretty big things going against it to blow up here but on Youtube, Reddit and anywhere else should be fine

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
As other already mentioned forums mainly centered on console related stuff so it's expected.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
maybe it's shown as youtube ads? I think a couple of days ago it was still around 3-400k views. Not that I mind more people seeing it, I'll be getting it for sure.
It was pretty fast at 1.2 million. Like within a day and it became trending for a moment on twitter.

Even the IGN vid has 444k views

Even a quick interview has 170k views

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you surprised?

Console-centric forum heavily skewed to AAA cinematic games and japanese title.

Three Kingdoms came out and sold over 1 million copies in one week, record of the series.
Civilization 6 sold 5 million copies
When SEGA announced HUMANKIND for PC we had people legit pissed because "UH A STRATEGIC GAME, WHACK", despite not knowing that a good chunck of SEGA revenue comes from PC and they european studios.

Talking about PC-centric titles on ERA is useless at this point.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
In my case, because I had no idea there was a video at XO19. I don't have an XBox and am not interested in its games, so I didn't follow the event.

I am looking forward to AoEIV on PC though. That trailer certainly looked nice, but didn't have much for me to sink my teeth into.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not to mention a bunch of us AoE fans aren't around right now, because we're playing AoE2 DE, lol.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's a mix of this forum being console dominated, and it's not a great place to talk about Xbox related content. It's often said, but stands true that era, along with several other forums is a vocal minority.

Era is a console focused forum id say and one where lets be real....any Xbox focused thread besides the OT turns into complete shit.

Even if this was true (and it isn't), Age of Empires IV isn't Xbox focused or related. It's a Windows 10 game.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Even if this was true (and it isn't), Age of Empires IV isn't Xbox focused or related. It's a Windows 10 game.
Gaming under microsoft is Xbox. Its an Xbox game which is why when you launch the game it will have Xbox Game Studios splashed all over it just like Age of Empires 2 DE which just released.

(and yeah pretty much every thread regarding xbox on Era turns to shit by the first page lol)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why are you surprised?

Console-centric forum heavily skewed to AAA cinematic games and japanese title.

Three Kingdoms came out and sold over 1 million copies in one week, record of the series.
Civilization 6 sold 5 million copies
When SEGA announced HUMANKIND for PC we had people legit pissed because "UH A STRATEGIC GAME, WHACK", despite not knowing that a good chunck of SEGA revenue comes from PC and they european studios.

Talking about PC-centric titles on ERA is useless at this point.
Yes. I am surprised at how little noise there is when they announce Total War expansions, with how popular they are.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Xbox is their gaming brand. This discussion will be really confusing when xCloud becomes more mainstream. You won't really need a box. Age of Empires is a Microsoft IP, just like Halo. And they'll both be in Xbox Game Pass.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Niche. I don't know about that chief.

The Age of Empires series has been a commercial success, selling over 20 million copies.

Yes, it was, but when was that? In their hay day RTS games were huge, but their popularity defined waned. It was always one of those Dad genres, so there may be a huge untapped market out there still. One that doesn't care too much about current fads. Trying not to make that sound like a bad thing, there was also a big flight sim following, so feels like Microsoft are trying to bring elements of that casual PC market back on board.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you new to these types of forums? This is a predominantly console centric forum, it always has been really, even at the old site. Add to that, RTS games are among the less popular genres on these boards too, so for AoE it's a double whammy.

That said, I'm personally very much looking forward to it, though I can't say I'm anywhere near as hyped for it as I am for many other titles.