• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
infographic2.png

And fuck Carolina white sauce.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. Maybe other types of meat took precedence? Like New England when it comes to seafood (even though I actually don't find the seafood here particularly standout)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Because American bbq's roots sadly comes from slavery so that's where there has been time to develop regional traditions. The other parts of the us have different influences so they have different traditions. You aren't going to have a tradition of cooking with oak and pecan wood in the American southwest desert where there is no oak or pecan wood.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dinosaur is legit and I'll smack someone for the disrespect.

Also what Mcfrank said.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
b/c other places also do those styles and do them all or light variants? i love that "texas style" means they have beef. like upper midwest does too?

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Because American bbq's roots sadly comes from slavery so that's where there has been time to develop regional traditions. The other parts of the us have different influences so they have different traditions. You aren't going to have a tradition of cooking with oak and pecan wood in the American southwest desert where there is no oak or pecan wood.
Yes, I love my peoples but Nepenthe, K.Jack , and Dreams-Visions only a human rights crises could lead to the birth of chittlins and hogmaws

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I had North Carolina style bbq sauce and it was just watery sugar paste. I'm also smoking a 5lb brisket this weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
so based on the post versus title you mean defined styles? cuz its not like you cant find really good BBQ in any sufficiently large city, and stil often in smaller towns.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Boston tried to do it once but it became abundantly clear that sticking crab or lobster into BBQ is not a good idea. We don't know what to do with ourselves without seafood.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Boston tried to do it once but it became abundantly clear that sticking crab or lobster into BBQ is not a good idea. We don't know what to do with ourselves without seafood.
That is a good lane to be honest. Maine knew all they had was lobster and they ran with it. Y'all still better than Vermont, syrup is hella limited

Oct 27, 2017
Well between Smoke Shop, Sweet Cheeks, Redbones, and Blue Ribbon BBQ there are a decent number of BBQ places. It's just the second you have BBQ from one of those other cities you realize how overpriced ours is.

Also none of these places seem collectively unique enough for me to call them a Boston regional type of BBQ. They seem more like attempts at Kansas/Texas style BBQ

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp,
To guard a title that was rich before,
To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet,
To smooth the ice, or add another hue
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
People only think this because us Southern people won't shut the fuck up about barbecue.

I had really great barbeque in an outdoor mall in California. There's good shit everywhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well between Smoke Shop, Sweet Cheeks, Redbones, and Blue Ribbon BBQ there are a decent number of BBQ places. It's just the second you have BBQ for one of those other cities you realize how overprices ours is

YUUUUUUP. Redbones is good shit, but compared to something in the South where it's good and cheap? No comparison.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Coming from WI myself and having realtives in TX, TN, NC, and GA why bother making something that can't be fucked with.

This is like saying replace weed or coke just cause.

Memphis and Texas style for life.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
California has tri tip (which seems to be catching on outside of CA) cooked Santa Maria style (which is not catching on).

People seem to be really confused about what you are asking. This isn't about individual restaurants, but creating a cultural cooking style (that can be emulated anywhere)

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area

i thought a portion of bbq histoy was from european butchers (german) repurposing parts, or was that them copying the slaves?

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I think Southern people tout barbecue so much because we like to use our cuisine to try and paper over our shitty-ass history.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Can't speak for the west but I imagine a state having actual winters with cold weather and snow 3-8 months a year is a factor why a style of cooking primarily done outside never took off.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I had many of dank bbq in NorCal when I grew up there. I live in the FL bay area but have done a lot of food travel around the south and I visit TN often so I'm blessed with having tried quite a bit of very good BBQ.

It's been forever since I've been to NorCal but California does a pretty good job of having the best of everything like New York I suppose. The diverse culture helps.

Like I won't even eat seafood in TN there's no point. You can't live near an Ocean and eat inland seafood again. Regional stuff does effect food in that way too.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't need to. Connecticut's already invented:
1. Hamburgers
2. Grinders
3. Lobster Rolls
and of course we perfected pizza.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I had many of dank bbq in NorCal when I grew up there. I live in the FL bay area but have done a lot of food travel around the south and I visit TN often so I'm blessed with having tried quite a bit of very good BBQ.

It's been forever since I've been to NorCal but California does a pretty good job of having the best of everything like New York I suppose. The diverse culture helps.

Like I won't even eat seafood in TN there's no point. You can't live near an Ocean and eat inland seafood again. Regional stuff does effect food in that way too.
i LOVE looking at videos/pictures of everyone trying to do crawfish thats not from the south.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty much this. BBQ used to be a poor man's dish, it's origns are easily traced to former slaves in the southern US, German butchers and Tejano ranch hands in South Texas. BBQ culture is entirely build around cuts of meat that were historically regarded as cheap and not particularly useful to more affluent food cultures. This is a big part of why you see pork in the southeast and the shift towards beef as you migrate over to Texas. Same goes with the woods; mesquite in particular is a poster child for this. Other places had different local cheap eats, and by the time BBQ made it out to those places (west and north), it had already started shifting into a more mature, defined and affluent food culture. Hell, just to make this stuff now costs way more than it used to now that the jig is up and people know how good the cuts of meat really are.

History lesson aside, it's mostly because people bring BBQ and their style of BBQ when they migrate to a different part of the country. It then takes a long time for that food to mutate into a different, unique style. Check back in a decade or two when these places that are enraptured in multiple BBQ styles start mixing them up, it'll either be awesome or hideous.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Can't speak for the west but I imagine a state having actual winters with cold weather and snow 3-8 months a year is a factor why a style of cooking primarily done outside never took off.

unless it's actually pouring rain (and not just light showers/drizzle) or actively snowing I can smoke all year in Seattle.

I think most of the reason why there are no 'new' BBQ out West is because so much of the food enthusiasm out here is around hybridization of different cuisines and smashing together of influences. These aren't going to generate something truly new/unique.