Will Switch reach Nintendo's project 20 million this fiscal year

• Not even close

• It will fall short of 20 million

• It will meet forecast expectation

• It will surpass 20 million and yearly sales of any platform over the last generation (PS4 20M 2016)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
from July 2017 to March 31 2018, Nintendo sold 13.1M units. and this is counting most of the year up to late October/ November Hardware was still low on stock.

During that Time, Games with hi potential to sell hardware were
Splatoon 2
Mario O

From July 2018 to March 2019, we will have (implying some)
Smash
Pokemon LG P/E
Fire Emblem Switch
Fortnite
Splatoon Octo DLC

They are gonna slay this holiday season.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
by April NPD, USA did 171K
Doing some quick math, Japan April did 165K
and doing some big, BIG "implying" for the rest of the world based on trends relative to Japan sales in Nintendo IR sales, RotW = 231K

So, the 1st month of the Fiscal year = 567,000 Units so far. 19,433,000 Units to go

Ah, ouch.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, They have a lot of great games and in the worst case they'll do some package deals for the holidays to boost momentum. The lineup this year is a lot better than last year so I think they'll do fine

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
People are putting a lot of emphasis on Snash and Pokemon being the drivers for large hardware numbers this year. Part of me thinks this is correct, as both of these push hardware. However, is the effect of these (or at least one: Smash) being overstated? There is already nearly what, 20m Switch systems in the wild. Surely a big chunk of the people that'll buy Smash already have the system? They wont need to buy new hardware in Q4.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
from July 2017 to March 31 2018, Nintendo sold 13.1M units. and this is counting most of the year up to late October/ November Hardware was still low on stock.

Splatoon 2
Mario O

Smash
Pokemon LG P/E
Fire Emblem Switch
Fortnite
Splatoon Octo DLC

Struck through the games that definitely aren't going to sell hardware.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Never planned to get a switch. Then they announced a real pokemon game for 2019. Now iam waiting like a child for christmas. A high quality Console pokemon game was my dream since i got pokemon blue as a kid back then.

They will sell so much.

You never planned to get one? You didn't expect Pokémon on Switch at some point?

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are putting a lot of emphasis on Snash and Pokemon being the drivers for large hardware numbers this year. Part of me thinks this is correct, as both of these push hardware. However, is the effect of these (or at least one: Smash) being overstated? There is already nearly what, 20m Switch systems in the wild. Surely a big chunk of the people that'll buy Smash already have the system? They wont need to buy new hardware in Q4.

This line of thinking doesn't make sense

We could say the same for PS4 in that people who were interested in GOW would've had the system already but it still sold loads when GOW launched. This line of thinking doesn't add up

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm thinking too. Should be quite interesting this holiday season.

Of course you're going to sell a lot to the existing base, but there are still plenty of folks who will grab a Switch for the game just like with the Wii U and 3DS before it. Sounds like you're saying it will be a muted system seller, despite the Switch having only sold ~20 million units thus far.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you were to apply that line of thinking to every hardware, no consoles would sell more than 30M units.

Haven't we had NPD reports explicitly mentioning the sales were in line with Nintendo's plans even in months with no new big software?

Yes but facts aren't an issue for some people.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: Not really a sales person ... so ...

With just Smash and Fire Emblem ... more likely not to reach the target.
With Smash and Pokemon ... likely to reach it.
With Smash, Pokemon and Fortnite ... might even go past the target.

Immaculate

Oct 27, 2017
Hentz (actually found a Comparison point)

not really, going by Nintendo IR, last year April to May they sold only 1.97M Switch, and this is 3 months after release with BotW fresh of the oven and Mario Kart 8.5 as system sellers, April being a 567K on basically nothing doesnt seems so bad.
nothing? I cant help but feel like Nintendo was expecting the Labo to be the next Wii Sports/Fit kinda game that blow system sales up

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We could say the same for PS4 in that people who were interested in GOW would've had the system already but it still sold loads when GOW launched. This line of thinking doesn't add up
Of course god of war sold hardware, just like any big game would. But what exactly is loads? I don't think god of war alone sold 5 million PS4s.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
nothing? I cant help but feel like Nintendo was expecting the Labo to be the next Wii Sports/Fit kinda game that blow system sales up

If they thought this then they would have actually marketed it.

Instead, marketing will likely ramp up for it in the holiday season which is when toys actually sell.

Struck through the games that definitely aren't going to sell hardware.

I agree with you on Fire Emblem (I mean, people will buy systems for it but not many comparatively) but the Octo Expansion is going to do very well for the hardware in Japan.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Yeah, but since Pokemon games have always been casual and for children though, so what's the point of watering them down and removing important game mechanics when they were already for kids to begin with? Let's Go is just doing everything possible to ruin the experience for hardcore fans for literally no reason.
Calm down. It took DS owners 3 years to get a pokemon game, and we are getting the mainline one next year.

What's your beef?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Can you quantify loads? An increase in sales numbers is to be expected, my post was in reference to people believing its angiven that 20m target will be hit on the back of Smash and Pokemon. I'm a Nintendo fan. I'd like it to surpass this target. I just don't think it's a given.

Of course you're going to sell a lot to the existing base, but there are still plenty of folks who will grab a Switch for the game just like with the Wii U and 3DS before it. Sounds like you're saying it will be a muted system seller, despite the Switch having only sold ~20 million units thus far.
Not saying it'll be a muted seller at all. I already said in my post that they'll push hardware.

If you were to apply that line of thinking to every hardware, no consoles would sell more than 30M units.
Oh please. This is about the current FY's 20m target. Let's not get dramatic here.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo is always fairly conservative, I feel, with their sales goals. If they're saying they can hit 20 million this fiscal year, I think they can likely surpass it. We'll have a clearer picture next week, but I think Smash and Pokemon will help a lot. Animal Crossing and maybe some more Labo sets could also be huge this Holiday season.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018

I actually agree.
Smash certainly isn't a bigger hardware seller than a Mario Kart (even when said Mario kart is a re-release).

MonadoPurge

Apr 30, 2018
North Carolina
I'm honestly quite certain they can crush that number. Seeing the success of the Switch and the games that we know of so far and currently have, even before E3 is quite mind blowing. It really boggles my mind to see what will really be revealed during this E3 if they are letting things like Pokemon & Smash be known about before E3 even hits. 30+ Million by the end of the year. I can totally see it happening.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This argument doesn't really work though. God of War shifted MASSES of PS4s and you'd think that most people who are interested in that wouldnalready have bought one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say I super doubt it. Octo Expansion isn't going to inflate the base game's sales much if at all.

It will for sure sell the system though. I'm thinking it'll move the baseline up by ~30-40k for a few weeks after it launches, even more if there's a bundle. Then in the holidays it'll be hard to account for its impact but I'm sure it'll be there.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It will for sure sell the system though. I'm thinking it'll move the baseline up by ~30-40k for a few weeks after it launches, even more if there's a bundle. Then in the holidays it'll be hard to account for its impact but I'm sure it'll be there.
You think the Switch will be selling 70-80k for a few weeks due to the expansion? I have my doubts but I sure hope you're right. The summer season should help at least.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You think the Switch will be selling 70-80k for a few weeks due to the expansion? I have my doubts but I sure hope you're right. The summer season should help at least.

Splatoon 2 is serious business in Japan. I imagine there will be a lot of heavy promotion around it, and people who may have sold their Switches will probably buy new ones.

I could be wrong but the summer in general looks to be extremely packed in Japan, so I could see it pulling those numbers more often than not anyway.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm honestly quite certain they can crush that number. Seeing the success of the Switch and the games that we know of so far and currently have, even before E3 is quite mind blowing. It really boggles my mind to see what will really be revealed during this E3 if they are letting things like Pokemon & Smash be known about before E3 even hits. 30+ Million by the end of the year. I can totally see it happening.

I agree.

Nintendo France is already reporting launch allocation of 600k for both Pokemon Let's go games. That's more than Sun and Moon ! Think about that ! That's just going to be huge ! And we have Smash 5 ???? HUGE !!!

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think theres a high probability we'll get animal crossing this year. If that's true shits gonna explode along with Pokemon and smash.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This argument doesn't really work though. God of War shifted MASSES of PS4s and you'd think that most people who are interested in that wouldnalready have bought one.
Do we have a number of PS4s it sold? Someone else mentioned God of War selling PS4s too, but I'm yet to see any numbers.

Also: again, I'm not saying Smash/Pokemon won't sell systems. They will. I just referred to the 20m target, and that perhaps too much stock is being put into these being the reason it hits this target when there is already a significant number of potential customers for these games that already own a Switch.

I'd personally like to see a price cut or some good bundling, which I think will help with the target also. I just don't think the Pokemon/Smash combo alone will do it.

Sestenes

Mar 2, 2018
Iowa
Yeah they're so close to 20M already, should be no problem.

I don't think there will be a saturation problem. People who already own Switches have spouses and siblings who will want their own. Pokémon is an excellent example of this sort of angle.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You never planned to get one? You didn't expect Pokémon on Switch at some point?

was there a pokemon game on Wii ? or Wii U? i mean its not like Nintendo releases a main pokemon game on their console every time. So i thought it was possible they would now but it wasnt a 100% for me. The fact people are celebrating a full game for 2019 tells me i wasnt alone.

Its a long time since i played a nice mario game so pokemon wouldnt be the only thing that makes me get a switch at some point ^^

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
was there a pokemon game on Wii ? or Wii U? i mean its not like Nintendo releases a main pokemon game on their console every time. So i thought it was possible they would now but it wasnt a 100% for me. The fact people are celebrating a full game for 2019 tells me i wasnt alone.

Its a long time since i played a nice mario game so pokemon wouldnt be the only thing that makes me get a switch at some point ^^
1. Wii and Wii U are not portables.
2. The Pokémon Company said last E3 that a mainline game was being made for Switch. They also said later on that there would be no more mainline Pokémon games on 3DS.

People are celebrating the 2019 game because it's confirmed to be gen 8, not because they didn't think Pokémon was coming to the Switch.

Where else would Pokémon go?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Smash is a system seller because it has a different audience than other Nintendo games.

Smash appeals to mainstream gamers who don't really care all that much about 3d mario or zelda games.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1. Wii and Wii U are not portables.
2. The Pokémon Company said last E3 that a mainline game was being made for Switch. They also said later on that there would be no more mainline Pokémon games on 3DS.

People are celebrating the 2019 game because it's confirmed to be gen 8, not because they didn't think Pokémon was coming to the Switch.

Where else would Pokémon go?

makes sense to make it for switch if they stop making it for 3ds. didnt know that.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're so close to 20M already, should be no problem.

I don't think there will be a saturation problem. People who already own Switches have spouses and siblings who will want their own. Pokémon is an excellent example of this sort of angle.
It's selling 20M from April 2018-March 2019. So that would have to put the Switch at ~38.5M at the end of March 2019.

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Splatoon 2
Mario O

Smash
Pokemon LG P/E

Fire Emblem Switch
Fortnite
Splatoon Octo DLC

Only two of those games have high potential to sell hardware. I'd argue Yoshi will help sell more units than the non-bolded.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Isn't splatoon huge in Japan and consistently in the top charts there? Even in the US it is always a top seller in the Eshop. I mean it isn't gonna do smash or Pokémon numbers but still.

Do we think a single person* who doesn't already own the game is gonna buy a Switch + Splatoon 2 just to play the single-player DLC and get the Octoling skins?

Or even that that's what's pushing them over the edge?

* Read: A significant number of people.

Because that's what you're saying when you suggest that Octo Expansion is gonna sell hardware. People who buy the Octo Expansion are gonna be people who are into Splatoon. and Splatoon 2 being a huge success has nothing to do with an expansion that isn't out yet and wasn't announced for the first six months of its life; Octo Expansion itself is not gonna be a killer app.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think a single person* who doesn't already own the game is gonna buy a Switch + Splatoon 2 just to play the single-player DLC and get the Octoling skins?

Because that's what you're saying when you suggest that Octo Expansion is gonna sell hardware. People who buy the Octo Expansion are gonna be people who are into Splatoon. and Splatoon 2 being a huge success has nothing to do with an expansion that isn't out yet and wasn't announced for the first six months of its life; Octo Expansion itself is not gonna be a killer app.

There are still people buying Switches for Splatoon 2. Like, every day. Once the expansion comes out I'm saying there will probably be a few more, since some of those who have waited this long probably find that extra content to push them over the edge.

I don't really see why that's so controversial.

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe in Japan I dunno? I hear it is huge there but to what end I have no idea. Don't they have splatoon hologram concerts and such there?