• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What does the “X” in anime/manga titles mean?

• Nothing, it’s not pronounced

Votes: 321 40.0%
  • “Times” as in multiplicative

Votes: 9 1.1%
  • VS

Votes: 16 2.0%
  • Hugs

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • X, as in the literal letter

Votes: 442 55.1%
  • Xtreme

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • By

Votes: 6 0.7%

• Total voters

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
The x is like when you put an x at eth end of a message. It means kiss and is pronounced ecks. SF x Tekken. Because it's an orgy of characters
I mean, you'd be wrong then, lol. It's literally shorthand for cross(over) in those specific examples I gave
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it

The x is like when you put an x the end of a message. It means kiss, and is pronounced ecks. SF kisses Tekken. With tongues. It's an orgy of characters from both properties all in one sexy package

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a non American thing? I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to it as cross. It was just the X button on my PlayStation controller for example, not the cross button.

It's a play off cross-brand collaborations. You see it in fashion and home design all the time... things like Nike x Louis Vuitton, or Crate & Barrell x Shinola. It's been going on for decades.

So that makes sense originally, say, in video games: "Street Fighter CROSS Tekken"

Then it became used even when it wasn't cross promotion/branding.

And from there, in anime, it's just dropped in the name of a show and thus should be silent.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
But then why is it theeeeerrreee

It's a Japanese colloquialism with titles at this point.

unknown.png

The title in Japanese says "Spy Family"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Technically nothing,. It colloquialy I say the X just for clarity plus it is fun to sound out.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
People trolling with the nothing?

But nah, it's the letter. The only cross is the Jesus cross. Just what they want you to think, "...W, Cross, Y and Zed." Gross. No thanks.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Ecks.

I don't care what even the authors say, if they didn't want the X pronounced, they shouldn't have put it there.
They didn't put an X in there

840ec7f7-fe0e-4c1d-8ikjwe.jpeg

Letters don't randomly hover between words, an X would be on the same line a the other letters, it's a cross and it's silent.

Do you pronounce the hyphen in Spider-Man?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who says it's pronounced ecks should be embarrassed, you are wrong and to stubborn to admit it.

If that's what they wanted, they could have used Spy-Family.

But they didn't.
They're japanese, they don't have to follow western conventions when it comes to spelling and writing. It's silent, end of story.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to write your title as something silly (Hunter x Hunter) then I'm gonna say it as something silly, (Hunter ecks Hunter) and that's how it's gonna be.

And if the creator told me it's silent and I'm wrong I'd tell them "Why put it there then. You could have used many other symbols like a simple - "

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It's pronounced X unless it has some specific reason to be pronounced otherwise.

But never cross. Only villains do this.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't an X used in Japan to symbolize the word "cross"

LIke guilty Gear X (and XX) is actually pronounced Guilty Gear "Cross" (or "Cross Cross")

So None of those options and instead "Cross"

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't an X used in Japan to symbolize the word "cross"
LIke guilty Gear X (and XX) is actually pronounced Guilty Gear "Cross" (or "Cross Cross")
That's... just not true. "Guilty Gear X" is pronounced "Guilty Gear Zex", "Guilty Gear XX" is pronounced "Guilty Gear Igzex", and "Guilty Gear Xrd" is pronounced "Guilty Gear Igzird".

As for the titles mentioned by OP, as others have said, it's not the letter "X", it's the multiplication sign "×", and in all three of those examples, it's silent (not that it's a hard rule or anything, other titles might pronounce it "cross", for example).

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I know it's Hunter Hunter or Spy Family. I still say the X though idk why.

My friend said his coworker was told this too and went "Wait…. So that means High School DxD is really just High School Double D and OMG THAT IS SO MUCH WORSE"