Using DBZ power levels, what quality are you expecting from the game?

• SS Blue Gogeta

Votes: 44 3.8%
  • SSJ2 Gohan

Votes: 129 11.1%
  • Piccolo

Votes: 366 31.5%
  • Krillin

Votes: 313 26.9%
  • Yamcha

Votes: 201 17.3%
  • Yajirobe

Votes: 110 9.5%

• Total voters

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
5tcVkij.jpg

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
The graphics don't look as good as Storm's did for some reason.

It's much bigger in scope, with huge areas to explore among other things, than the Naruto Storm games, which are mostly fighting games. Also, it's all of Dragon Ball Z, the Storm series had 4 games to adapt the story, so they had more time to polish the graphics, I think.

But I agree it should look better, especially textures.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preordered deluxe edition on Xbox for 68€ at cdkeys. Normal is 70/deluxe 90e on Microsoft store so good deal

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
6/10. I won't be disappointed because I'm not expecting anything impressive out of it to begin with, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does somehow end up having some cool moments.

So yeah, Krillin tier.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so on the fence about this because I love DBZ and really enjoyed the Xenoverse games. It just looks kind of empty.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, fair play to storm, those games were wonderful Naruto compendiums that took a lot of really interesting liberties with how important events actually happened. They redo a lot of major moments and do great jobs with them, but they had been making naruto games for like....10 years straight.

I expect a strict retelling of DBZ moments with rpg elements hanging on the fringes. I simply don't think it's going to be the game people want.
Based on the amount of views and likes the game consistently receives, not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Era is the only forum I've seen where people seem mixed on the topic. Even the first Storm game got mid to high 70s, so the ten year bit doesn't change much.

And we have proof positive that you're wrong on the strict retelling. Literally one of the first things we found out was that they're taking tons of liberties here as well, to the point of getting Toriyama out to make the additions well integrated.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Based on the amount of views and likes the game consistently receives, not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Era is the only forum I've seen where people seem mixed on the topic. Even the first Storm game got mid to high 70s, so the ten year bit doesn't change much.

And we have proof positive that you're wrong on the strict retelling. Literally one of the first things we found out was that they're taking tons of liberties here as well, to the point of getting Toriyama out to make the additions well integrated.

My point about the 10 year bit is that they've been doing Naruto material since 2003. They know that stuff forwards and backwards and have made dozens of Naruto games that retell the story, some are strict retellings, some aren't. So with that series, their pedigree proceeds them when things like alternate narrative retellings or changing the nature of certain fights to reflect a new sort of gameplay style. With this game though...this just looks like the old PS2 single player modes for Naruto Ultimate Ninja where you're spending a lot of time wandering around an open world, doing fetch and item quests in order to unlock things and I don't think that's why most DBZ fans are going to be looking for. It feels like it's misplaced, or the story mode that DBFZ should have had, but doesn't. But I get why DBZ fans would be excited for it, but DBZ fans are excited for any DBZ game.

We'll see in a week, but I'm not optimistic. And pulling out Toriyama for ideas means nothing to me considering how uneven the last decade of dragonball has been. I look at this game and I just see One Piece: World Seeker all over again.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My point about the 10 year bit is that they've been doing Naruto material since 2003. They know that stuff forwards and backwards and have made dozens of Naruto games that retell the story, some are strict retellings, some aren't. So with that series, their pedigree proceeds them when things like alternate narrative retellings or changing the nature of certain fights to reflect a new sort of gameplay style. With this game though...this just looks like the old PS2 single player modes for Naruto Ultimate Ninja where you're spending a lot of time wandering around an open world, doing fetch and item quests in order to unlock things and I don't think that's why most DBZ fans are going to be looking for. It feels like it's misplaced, or the story mode that DBFZ should have had, but doesn't. But I get why DBZ fans would be excited for it, but DBZ fans are excited for any DBZ game.

We'll see in a week, but I'm not optimistic. And pulling out Toriyama for ideas means nothing to me considering how uneven the last decade of dragonball has been. I look at this game and I just see One Piece: World Seeker all over again.
I get what you mean about the pedigree, but the Storm 1 point is pertinent as it proved they had the formula down from the jump. They improved moving forward, but even the first game was praised to no end despite its many flaws. You say Kakarot looks like an old PS2 world, when that's literally what Storm 1 had, only with much less to do and far less lived in than Kakarot, and again it was still given lots of praise. Combat is still the focus from the hours of gameplay we've seen, so some of your concerns seem fixated on what we haven't even seen.

Plus we already know this doesn't have many of World Seeker's problems. The poor and slow traversal, repetitive combat, poor quest design, and limiting gameplay to one character outside of DLC were all pretty big flaws. If those four qualities were fixed, World Seeker would have been significantly better.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I get what you mean about the pedigree, but the Storm 1 point is pertinent as it proved they had the formula down from the jump. They improved moving forward, but even the first game was praised to no end despite its many flaws. You say Kakarot looks like an old PS2 world, when that's literally what Storm 1 had, only with much less to do and far less lived in than Kakarot, and again it was still given lots of praise. Combat is still the focus from the hours of gameplay we've seen, so some of your concerns seem fixated on what we haven't even seen.

Plus we already know this doesn't have many of World Seeker's problems. The poor and slow traversal, repetitive combat, poor quest design, and limiting gameplay to one character outside of DLC were all pretty big flaws. If those four qualities were fixed, World Seeker would have been significantly better.

Well, agree to disagree. Regardless, we'll see in a week. I might rent this, but there's no way I'm going full price day 1.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, agree to disagree. Regardless, we'll see in a week. I might rent this, but there's no way I'm going full price day 1.
We can agree to disagree on what we assume the quality to be, but ultimately I was just pointing out that a lot of your argument against the game is flat out wrong. Many of your "concerns" have been proven to be flat out wrong, and yet you just ignore it. Seems like regardless you're making up reason to dislike the game, even if the concerns are invalid. Until it comes out there's no telling how it will be perceived, but I don't see why you need to seemingly make up reasons for it to be problematic.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
We can agree to disagree on what we assume the quality to be, but ultimately I was just pointing out that a lot of your argument against the game is flat out wrong. Many of your "concerns" have been proven to be flat out wrong, and yet you just ignore it. Seems like regardless you're making up reason to dislike the game, even if the concerns are invalid. Until it comes out there's no telling how it will be perceived, but I don't see why you need to seemingly make up reasons for it to be problematic.

I mean, I honestly don't think most DBZ fans are going to find minigames where you punch fish out of the water as vegeta to be interesting, and I'm personally not convinced about the nature of story stuff. It's not making up reasons, it's looking at this is an overarching RPG that's following a very dedicated storyline and not being convinced that it's going to be interesting for anyone who is up to date with the DBZ lore. But I see why people who clamour for Raditz to be in DBfZ would find it appealing.

As for my concerns being flat out wrong, let's talk again on the 17th.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
A full blown action rpg with multiple leveling mechanics, a very accurate retelling of the entire saga with new Canon characters and Canon story pieces from AT himself?! And I can fly around as Majin Vegeta? Sign me the F up!

I'm reality I expect it to be basically every dbz game that isn't fighterz. The fans will love it, the critics will be luke warm to it and people who don't care for DBZ or ARPGs won't look twice.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Idk man after looking at DBFZ in terms of graphics it's hard to be hyped for this. Like I understand the reasons DBFZ is able to look as good as it is and the scale of Kakarot can't allow it to look like that, but it still feels like anything after FighterZ is a downgrade graphically.

And that's before even getting into the combat kinda not looking hot

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Might take a flyer on this one and get it physical for PS4. Feels like one of those games I want the reassurance I can trade it in for a quick return if it's bad or I hate it.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I only hope it's as good as the first Naruto UNS. I know a lot of people hate that game but running around doing missions was a lot of fun. I'm not expecting that though. I'm guessing its a 6, 7 if you love DBZ.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Really not understanding the hostility to this game from some people.

Will this be the best game ever? No, but it is the sort of game I many have wanted for years with the DBZ franchise.

Looks like it will be fun and goes along the whole of Z which is more than many probably expected considering previous games coverage of the series.

Got my copy pre-ordered and looking froward to playing it next week.

It makes you wonder what folks are expecting out of a DBZ RPG. I'd go so far to say quite a few people haven't been paying attention to early interviews and press release and assume it's just another DBZ game developed by Dimps.

This will be the first game localized ever in the West that contains the entire storyline of Z from the begining with Raditz to the very end with Kid Buu, that isn't a Fighting Game along the lines of Budokai or the Tenkaichi games.

Heck even the GBA DBZ RPGs never had the entire Z Arc's storyline content in a single game and was split across several games.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It makes you wonder what folks are expecting out of a DBZ RPG. I'd go so far to say quite a few people haven't been paying attention to early interviews and press release and assume it's just another DBZ game developed by Dimps.

This will be the first game localized ever in the West that contains the entire storyline of Z from the begining with Raditz to the very end with Kid Buu, that isn't a Fighting Game along the lines of Budokai or the Tenkaichi games.

Heck even the GBA DBZ RPGs never had the entire Z Arc's storyline content in a single game and was split across several games.
Exactly. For years, all I have ever heard is people ask for a dbz game that covers the whole franchise, only to say it would never happen.

Early impressions I have seen have been good too so it's baffling how negative this thread is.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if we'll be able to buy the japanese ost later on or will it stay exclusive to the deluxe edition?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I honestly don't think most DBZ fans are going to find minigames where you punch fish out of the water as vegeta to be interesting, and I'm personally not convinced about the nature of story stuff. It's not making up reasons, it's looking at this is an overarching RPG that's following a very dedicated storyline and not being convinced that it's going to be interesting for anyone who is up to date with the DBZ lore. But I see why people who clamour for Raditz to be in DBfZ would find it appealing.

As for my concerns being flat out wrong, let's talk again on the 17th.
We don't need to wait until the 17th to see it doesn't have at least most of the core issues World Seeker had. Also don't need to wait to see that CC2 has taken creative liberties and added plenty of meaningful additional content. Not sure why you're denying this when there's array of footage out there even if you want to plug your ears to direct interviews.This isn't remotely different from what Storm did either, which was previously your point of reference. Hell, most of your complaints could be volleyed at any individual Storm game, and none of them were as poorly received as you're implying this will.

Then you outright contradict yourself by saying it'll appeal to most DBZ fans at first, then now you make excuses for why DBZ fans won't like the game. That's why it seems like you're grasping for whatever reason to throw shade at the game. Flat out, your posts come across as a lot of exaggeration and ignoring the fact that this is hardly CC2's first foray in this type of game. And it seems a bit silly to assume "5 out of 10" is what we're in for. Seems overly negative.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need to wait until the 17th to see it doesn't have at least most of the core issues World Seeker had. Also don't need to wait to see that CC2 has taken creative liberties and added plenty of meaningful additional content. Not sure why you're denying this when there's array of footage out there even if you want to plug your ears to direct interviews.This isn't remotely different from what Storm did either, which was previously your point of reference. Hell, most of your complaints could be volleyed at any individual Storm game, and none of them were as poorly received as you're implying this will.

Then you outright contradict yourself by saying it'll appeal to most DBZ fans at first, then now you make excuses for why DBZ fans won't like the game. That's why it seems like you're grasping for whatever reason to throw shade at the game. Flat out, your posts come across as a lot of exaggeration and ignoring the fact that this is hardly CC2's first foray in this type of game. And it seems a bit silly to assume "5 out of 10" is what we're in for. Seems overly negative.

After looking at the 7 hours of gameplay that are out, I think even 5/10 was being generous.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Krillin

It'll get its job done, look decent and have some fun with the DB/Z plot. It will also have terrible controls and play like crap but you get to do BIG BOOM ATTACKS WITH FLASHY LIGHTS AND SHIT so it won't matter.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
The 7 hour video that's out there is quite interesting. The guy starts off with the end of the Raditz fight and ends the video once he's on Namek. There's a whole bunch of cutscenes during this time, and the guy got eventually banned. He uploaded a new video though explaining how he was simply rushing through the story missions as he just wanted to see how far he could get to show it to people.

Kinda curious about all the extra content, but still debating whether or not i should get this at release.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Man I really hope this game is good. Probably going to wait til reviews drop first. Right now, I'm going between Piccolo and SSJ2 Gohan quality. Do we know when we should be expecting reviews?

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
It's the same old story for these open world games/large areas in games. It looks large but will it be filled with interesting things to do? Probably not.

I love the key ideas of levelling up your character and encountering all these story characters, I just hope it holds up for the whole game.