Oct 25, 2017
Was just reading some articles about Eminem apologizing for calling Tyler the Creator a f*ggot on his new album and it's wild to me that a major, global rap megastar still uses this word. I don't usually check for Eminem so I only found out about this now, but I really thought he had moved past this type of behaviour. He's 40-something and it's 2018. This is not some problematic teenage SoundCloud rapper, it's fucking Eminem. Like holy shit...

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jackass Eminem.

He also was part of the people who made it mainstream to say it too, normalizing the word. Then Louis Ck just did it a decade further

Oct 25, 2017
His excuse was "I used the word because I wanted to hurt him, but I didn't realize I would hurt other people too"

Yeah it definitely makes it way better that you're a 40 year old dad trying to hurt a queer kid directly by calling them a slur. Good job.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because people don't care that's the real answer. It's same reason why many people in Hip Hop can call woman not-so-nice things and get away with it

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be one rule for one and one for another. Homophobia is often overlooked even by so called progressives.

Oct 27, 2017
Because he's a dickhead multi-millionaire who can get away with shit like this and legions of people will defend him or excuse him regardless.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Downplaying homophobia.
now rappers aren't allowed to swear or use slurs? not defending it but c'mon...rappers say all sorts of shit that is offensive. if they're homophobic then they're racist too.

where's the hate at other rappers who use the same words or just as offensive ones? nah didn't think so.

Deleted member 37107

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Chicago
Wasn't Tyler also accused of homophobia before he came out as gay or bisexual? He sure said that word like it was going out of style AND made fun of Tegan and Sara. Emineim is a shock jock who raps, but his shtick gets old after a while.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
He's a homophobe who thinks that's still edgy. He went through a controversy in the early 2000s and said he realized the mistake, but is still using the word.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Because people allow him to get away with it?

"That word is terrible!"
- *favorite artist uses that word*
"Uhh… it's art! They're just expressing themselves artistically! Doesn't mean they use that word on a regular basis or anything!"

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's why it was weird to see Captain America retweeting Ems diss tracks MGK....I know it's not the same song and all, but it's weird seeing Evans co-signing him considering what he usually stands for.

Imagine calling someone a ***** in 2018 just because he doesn't like your music.

Then again people caped for MAGA Kanye l, Nas beating Kelis and a bunch of BS....people are ready to excuse alot of BS as long as they like the artist lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Em is a known homophobe and has been for decades. The man has done 0 growing up in his 46 years of living and probably never will. Eminem is an extremely selfish individual and it should have been more evident to all of us in the way he talked about his mother and his ex-wife. Yes your mom is a drug addict, it's a terrible situation, but the amount of nuance he's employed when discussing the shit is laughable. If you contrast his body of work with 2pac's dear mama which touches on the same topics but with a much less myopic self interested lens his social ineptitude is super evident. Throughout his entire body of work Em has displayed a dramatic lack of empathy and understanding for anyone but himself. 46 years in and the only thoughts this man has are I'm the fucking shit and everyone who disagrees sucks a dick because sucking dicks is gay and being gay is lame.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Most hip-hop artists are egocentric dickheads that care about nothing but themselves and attacks on their ego

They simply don't care if anyone else gets offended, and neither do their fans

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure we had a similar thread with Cardi B and Migos a few months ago over the same exact thing, with the same exact excuses. Lay the blame 100% on their fans who give them a pass.

Em and DMX have a special place though for this shit, because they were the ones who popularized that back in the late 90s, earlier 00s.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Most hip-hop artists are egocentric dickheads that care about nothing but themselves and attacks on their ego

They simply don't care if anyone else gets offended, and neither do their fans
Thats couldn't be further from the truth ...talk about over generalization. Their are plenty of of stand up guys in the game...some might be ignorant to a lot of issues but calling others straight up fgt in 2018 isn't the norm at all. Eminem isn't your regular rapper.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
now rappers aren't allowed to swear or use slurs? not defending it but c'mon...rappers say all sorts of shit that is offensive. if they're homophobic then they're racist too.

where's the hate at other rappers who use the same words or just as offensive ones? nah didn't think so.

You have to be kidding?

Firstly who said anything about swearing in general? You going to really start your pitch with that intellectual dishonesty?

Every single rapper who uses this slur is a homophobic piece of shit, there are no exceptions.

Now if you'd kindly stop making excuses for this kind of hateful language that would be great.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017

I hate anyone who uses that word and anyone who defends the use of it, especially with such a poorly constructed whataboutism. You gotta be joking with this post...

Village

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of homophobia in hip hop and no one is stopping people from homophobic. And sexist/sexism for that matter.
And people still buying their albums

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
I know there's still a lot of homophobia in rap, but I'm not talking about fucking Migos and xxx, Eminem has been a global superstar rapper for YEARS now. It's akin to Jay or Kanye saying f*ggot

astro

Oct 25, 2017
.....you're basically saying people who enjoy his music are all homophobic.

Certainly no generalizing going on here.

They're not saying that even a tiny bit. Learn to read.

They're saying anyone who defends the use of the word. Which is correct.

Anyone who defends the use of the word is a homophobe and should be ashamed of themselves.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Em is a known homophobe and has been for decades. The man has done 0 growing up in his 46 years of living and probably never will. Eminem is an extremely selfish individual and it should have been more evident to all of us in the way he talked about his mother and his ex-wife. Yes your mom is a drug addict, it's a terrible situation, but the amount of nuance he's employed when discussing the shit is laughable. If you contrast his body of work with 2pac's dear mama which touches on the same topics but with a much less myopic self interested lens his social ineptitude is super evident. Throughout his entire body of work Em has displayed a dramatic lack of empathy and understanding for anyone but himself. 46 years in and the only thoughts this man has are I'm the fucking shit and everyone who disagrees sucks a dick because sucking dicks is gay and being gay is lame.

Nailed it. Excellent post.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I must have missed the announcement that engrained homophobia had become extinct this year

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Didn't this guy made a song about murdering his ex-wife? Not sure why anyone would find this shocking giving Em history

Opoth

Dec 24, 2017
Someone who is losing relevance and therefore attention, and seeking to regain it. Congratulations, you just gave it to him. As they say, no such thing as bad publicity.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Eminem but it's really not ok. Ruined other good songs like "I need a doctor" too

I grew up in a time/community where everyone, including myself, threw the word around constantly so I understand that context and I don't think it excuses anything. Hearing the word today is grating like nails on chalkboard