• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i picked it up again recently as well, i think i'm in chapter 4. the blade designs are still embarrassing as hell but the gameplay is so good.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Story picks up a lot at the end of chapter 3 and beginning of chapter 4, play it until then and you will have an idea

Story is in my top 3 rpgs
that is a strong statement to be said, how many rpg have you played i wonder, because im sure i can count 10 rpg with better story than xenoblade 2

Feb 26, 2018
It's pretty bad. Don't expect anything more than some generic anime plot. But if you okay with that you will like it

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those stories where you either love it or hate it. At the point you're at if you still don't like it there's no reason to force yourself to continue further.

Counterpoint: the story was totally 100% "okay I guess" for me, and it sounds like a bunch of other people in this thread. So you either love it, hate it, or think it's alright.

OP, I think if you haven't really gotten a lot out of the story after six hours, there's a good (but not absolute) chance the rest of it won't grab you either. There's some decent geopolitical stuff going on and some nice character moments, but also a lot of dumb anime bullshit and generic save-the-world stuff in there too. Basically, the story does what it needs to do to drive gameplay, but it's not one of the game's better aspects and you're better off just glossing over it if it's not grabbing you.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
First half is B-movie tier, 2nd half is ok but big chunks of story are missing. (these chunks show up in Torna, which is super short but also fairly coherent and well told)

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I'mma request a citation

JP:
xenoblade-boxart-1-732x1024.png

EU:
3.jpg

NA (which came significantly later):
240764-xenoblade-chronicles-wii-front-cover.jpg

Exact same thing was done with Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2, except for their NA logos being different.

Kind of odd that you're asking us to "prove" something that can so easily be looked up, honestly.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I loved it. The second half of the story was great and I loved the characters too. It gave me the story I was craving after playing BotW.

Sometimes I remember certain story moments and I feel like playing a fourth play-through.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
The side quests are serviceable and they also bring some more lore into the world. The main story is something I'd rather forget about. Torna is much better than vanilla though IMO.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I have to agree. The first few hours is boring. But after that it's home runs after home runs with few misses. It's an amazing game

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Like XC1 it's just Naruto in video game form except you still have to suffer a terrible first half for an unfulfilling payoff

Oh yeah it's cringe central too, I sometimes felt too embarassed to continue, especially the story somehow being too invested in making the point that you can have a relationship with your blade.

Last edited:

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
It gets much better in the second half, developing the characters beyond your usual stereotypes and fleshing out the epic world. But I would say the stories of Xenoblade and Xenoblade X were more interesting.

Even so, I think it's well worth sticking around for. I was very satisfied by the end.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The story is going to be the least of your frustrations when you start putting some serious hours into this game.

I wish I could say it was worth my 100+ hour play through but I'm glad I did it. Glad it's over, more. I Youtubed the DLC.

As for the story, it's fine if that's all you care about but you have to wade through a lot in order to enjoy it.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The early hours of the game are a bit deceiving with the more lighthearted tone and comedy/gag/trope/anime references if that's something you're not feeling, but all of that is pretty much dropped by the end of Chapter 5 and that's when the story really starts to ramp up. The cast of characters are lovable and they each get their own bit of time in the spotlight.

It's certainly the best Xeno game since Xenosaga Episode 1, and the closest Xeno game to Xenogears.

Personally, I love it. It's one of the most charming, endearing, and lovingly crafted JRPG's (or games in general) I have played in a long time.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It has a great cast of characters and a really good story. It basically does everything every other Xeno game does with the gnostic philosophical symbolism and premise but doesn't beat you over the head with it. It's all there without them literally quoting Bible verses and shit.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
The story is above average and the characters are really good, I found. I found myself really caring about my band of misfits. And the end section (last couple of hours) is one of the best Nintendo narratives I've seen. I really liked the ending and felt emotions.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Wow, that dub is... really something (I stuck with the Japanese voices).
The dub is divisive. But honestly, I preferred the english dub for pretty much every character...except Rex.

Rex's VA is...well...he's not awful, but he doesn't have the emotional gravitas to really take on the role, and every time he screams it's just fucking hilarious.

It's a shame then that he's the main fucking character :/

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
Extremely mediocre. Only holds up thanks to the cast, which is full of some of the most blatant clichés and stereotyped shonen characters, but at least their interactions are good most of the time.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought xenoblade 2 when it first came out, but I just couldn't get into the game. After about 4-6 hours I just stopped and never went back to it. I was wondering if I should go back to it and try it again, but I was wondering if the story is any good?

The story just gets worse. I started skipping everything I could after a while. Still enjoyed the gameplay though.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Not as good as XC1's.

It has some very solid moments but there's some real tripe in between that spoils the pace. With a bit of editing and less "power of friendship" shit it could have been great. As it is, it's good, but it's easy to focus on the most grating parts because they can be that bad.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The first half is really bad. It gets better in the second half, but it's probably the worst thing Takahashi has written.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it , great characters and some truly epic scenes. Just like in the first one. The cutscene direction is marvelous (opposite to KHIII) and along with the music it makes for some intense, chilling scenes. It ramps up fairly late in the game, but when it does, it does well. The ending is (typical Monolith) dealing with the fabric and fate of the world itself and it is fascinating to see it play out. Also rather emotional for me.

Torna is even better, i agree there.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's a great rendition of the classic JRPG/shonen plot IMO. Good characters, good party interactions, good world building, a nice pacing especially during the 2nd half, a really good ending...

It has nothing new, and some anime tropes can be annoying at times, but it feels to me like the best classic style JRPG plot from the last years. The good cutscene direction and characters make it feel like a better and more ambitious Tales of game plot, with a better ending hours than most JRPG.

But if you don't feel the first hours, the game is really long and even if the plot gets more serious/interesting after some hours, the base doesn't change that much.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I found it to be the best story Takahashi wrote since Xenogears. Loved almost every bit of it, and the direction was superb. Finally finding time to go through the Torna expansion this week. I have high hopes.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Middling to poor. But I still liked the gameplay and world design enough to finish it.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story is interesting at first but goes nowhere later. The characters are childish and uninteresting.

Monolith probably realized this too, so they were eager to gain interest with melon boobs and stripper outfits. It's the worst Xenoblade game by far but a ok game nonetheless.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's okay, but I didn't feel that the characters were as well written as previous Takahashi games. I think everything to do with the Rex, Pyra, and Mythra relationship is pretty much garbage, and I feel silly using this word, but
the "pick which name you want to call her by"
business in the end felt very "waifu" centric. Many scenes feel explicitly written/directed with the player's attraction to the female leads in mind to a degree that is jarring and unenjoyable if you're not that market.

Overall, I felt that the sexual objectification if its characters had reached a point that was simply too distracting to play the game ignoring it (it looked ridiculous), but even if it weren't there, I don't think it would be anything I would consider terribly special. I wasn't expecting much from the original Xenoblade, but I ended up liking it a few years ago, for comparison.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
After Chapter 3 I didn't watch a single cut scene because it was just wasn't for me. I still managed to put over 100 hours of gameplay into though because the gameplay was absolutely incredible.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
My favorite rpg in years and single handedly got me back into games after a few years of general apathy.

So yeah, it holds a special place in my heart.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Probably I didn't like it as much as Xenogears (my all time favorite) and Xenosaga but still fantastic.