• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eternally? There's fuck all but shit jobs in this town. The better options are working at the sugar beet place nearby that stinks of fucking harnessed death and consists of numerous shit jobs or to work at the local brewery where you need contacts to get in, or the local hospital which is the same.

Other than that it's retail or coffee shops. There's really very little else here and what of it there is all depends on you knowing people working there. These better options are all closing down one by one too. No doubt I'll soon be back in retail...again. Like even being a delivery guy is better than most choices in this hellhole

Sorithin

Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland
Worked at my college serving job for a year after graduating.. then got a shitty professional job where I've been for the past 3.5 years. I'd rather work at Target, a bar or literally anything else because this job is mind-numbingly boring.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Eight months between finishing university and getting a 'proper' job.

The day I resigned from retail was glorious, particularly as it was right in the middle of the Christmas rush.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Eternally? There's fuck all but shit jobs in this town. The better options are working at the sugar beet place nearby that stinks of fucking harnessed death and consists of numerous shit jobs or to work at the local brewery where you need contacts to get in, or the local hospital which is the same.

Other than that it's retail or coffee shops. There's really very little else here and what of it there is all depends on you knowing people working there. These better options are all closing down one by one too. No doubt I'll soon be back in retail...again. Like even being a delivery guy is better than most choices in this hellhole

Why don't you move? When I graduated I applied to jobs all over the country (Canada). I would have gotten nowhere if I only looked for jobs in my hometown.

Dogtato-kun

Oct 27, 2017
Graduated college in 2003, got a retail job. A lack of motivation and slowly working my way up the totem pole (such as it was) kept me there until the place shut down in 2007. Made the mistake of getting another retail job after that, but when it became clear that that chain was going to go out of business like two years later, I went back to school and got a paralegal certificate. Now I work at a law firm, which is infinitely preferable.

Falling into a rut is the worst, but it can be so hard to pull yourself out of it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you move? When I graduated I applied to jobs all over the country (Canada). I would have gotten nowhere if I only looked for jobs in my hometown.
Too much here to leave behind. All my friends and family are here along with my OH's friends and family too. Plus with my OH being epileptic I don't think I'd be comfortable moving away from the people who know how to look after her if she has a seizure. That and she doesn't want to move away from her family.

However Cambridge is within commuting distance. I might well look for to see if I can find something out there but it will be while. I've been my partners carer for quite a long time now and my previous jobs were far enough in the past that it's largely useless to mention so I'll have to start at the bottom of the ladder again anyway.

Still I may start by looking in Cambridge in general just to have more options. This town really is just dying off bit by bit.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
If I may ask, what is your job now, and why didn't you work as an English teacher after you graduated?
I work at a screen printing place doing technical writing and a bunch of other odd stuff. I sometimes write/film/edit training videos. I've even been asked to do light graphic design work.

It's random as all hell, but generally fun. Also no one knows how long things should take so that's to my benefit :P

Didn't want to be an English teacher. I got a BS in writing and figured that would take me somewhere fun, and I guess it technically did. It just took awhile.

Though to be fair, my job can be really lame like half the time.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Took about a year and a half out of college before I started getting on track to do what I do now. During that time, I was unemployed for about three and worked two separate shitty soul sucking jobs for about 6 months each time.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Never finished college, landed a government job. Doesn't pay that well, doesn't demand much of me. It's been a good nine years. I want something with a better paycheck, but nothing that's gonna stress me.

Oct 26, 2017
About 5 months after I graduated (May 2016) I got an internship, got dropped from said internship a few months ago, and now I'm applying to shit left and right to no success while making whatever cash through UberEats and film extra work.

BTW, I'm trying to have a career in something vastly different from what I graduated in, so it's a semi-unique case.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
5 Months, so it seems about average.

Pretty good too considering how insanely competitive the film industry is.