• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Longish video, so I'll summarize. Finn does a good job with one. He's pretty measured here.

View: https://youtu.be/n-oeTJqRDEY

-Roots and The Black Album backlash from Metal fans
-Load and Reload
-Metallica Versus Napster
-St. Anger release
-Some Kind of Monster documentary. I remember this doc being so LOL. But I''m glad it was made.
-Death Magnetic. Did they ever fix this mastering? When the GH versions sounded better than the CD, I was like WTF?

I got into Metallica with the Black Album myself. I later got into their formative albums, which I ended up preferring over time. I still like the Black Album so the backlash in hindsight was not something I got, but understood. People hate change.

I do remember Lars during the Napster era. I thought he came off as an old man. However, he was right. We were all basically stealing music. However, his heavy handed approach was a bit much. Napster did lead to Spotify, Apple Music and such. While I use streaming services, as a music fan, I can't help but think they artist got the raw deal with them. CDs weren't better, but a bit more fair.

Still, there are my favorite metal band--yeah I'm basic here.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
The Napster thing is funny now in hindsight considering Metallica is one of the most generous bands when it comes to streaming etc..they publish their music basically for free on YouTube etc for free day 1 with music videos.

And they do M&G for free using a lottery all you need is unpaid membership and concert ticket. Not some VIP package.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the days of hating Metallica have passed at this point. They seem to be pretty universally revered now, with all their ups and downs.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
Most hated (maybe), but also the most popular. I assume they'll take it

Assumed the video was gonna be another "Young person who discovered Metallica thanks to Stranger Things attempts to cancel the band based on seeing an iron cross emblem on a guitar."

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The Napster thing is funny now in hindsight considering Metallica is one of the most generous bands when it comes to streaming etc..they publish their music basically for free on YouTube etc for free day 1 with music videos.

And they do M&G for free using a lottery all you need is unpaid membership and concert ticket. Not some VIP package.
I just think Lars was the wrong guy to sic on Napster. But even Lars says he was a bit too heavy handed today.

Most hated (maybe), but also the most popular. I assume they'll take it

Assumed the video was gonna be another "Young person who discovered Metallica thanks to Stranger Things attempts to cancel the band based on seeing an iron cross emblem on a guitar."

Nope, the creator is an old man, using internet standards lol. He was there.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah they've made some dodgy music (although Re/Load and SA aren't that bad), and Lars seems like a bit of a dick, but the real reason they're hated is that they're the biggest metal band and people love to hate the popular thing. This is especially true with metalheads... as soon as they get a whiff of someone "selling out" or becoming too commercial, or even when a band becomes cool in the mainstream, its over.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Can't hate Metallica at this point. Only one doing that are the edge lords who are pissed their niche genre has a mega successful cross over band. Absolute legends who are still going. And they were 1000% right about Napster. Things have only gotten worse for artist compensation.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Hot take but I can't stand Metallica. Solely because I can't stand James Hetfield's singing. It's just so forced and fake sounding to me. As bad, if not more annoying than all the Eddie Vedder impersonators of the 90's. It got worse and worse with time but I can't stand him even on their earlier material. The instrumentals are fantastic though.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they've made some dodgy music (although Re/Load and SA aren't that bad), and Lars seems like a bit of a dick, but the real reason they're hated is that they're the biggest metal band and people love to hate the popular thing. This is especially true with metalheads... as soon as they get a whiff of someone "selling out" or becoming too commercial, or even when a band becomes cool in the mainstream, its over.
I do notice the whole "sell out" thing is dead these days.

I guess folks woke up the fact that we got bills to pay and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism.

The "get your bag" mindset is more accepted today.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't hate Metallica at this point. Only one doing that are the edge lords who are pissed their niche genre has a mega successful cross over band. Absolute legends who are still going. And they were 1000% right about Napster. Things have only gotten worse for artist compensation.

With or without napster artist compensation was going to continue to get worse and worse. 360 deals did more damage for artists than streaming did.

If anything one could argue their war on Napster did more damage for artist compensation via streaming b/c the music industry was intent on controlling the whole thing and waging war on it.

May 14, 2021
James talks about how metal fans tried to cancel them in the 80s when they released Fade to Black, because it was a "slow" song. Cliff apparently was behind that song and said anyone who hates them for releasing a slow song can fuck off.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I was not even listening to Metallica at the time and even I remember the outrage when they cut their hair. Weird times.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I do notice the whole "sell out" thing is dead these days.

I guess folks woke up the fact that we got bills to pay and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism.

The "get your bag" mindset is more accepted today.

Fair enough - I don't really keep up with the scene anymore other than the bands I like, but that's good to hear. But Metallica were definitely a victim of that mentality in the 90s/00s - they were the band that were cool to hate because they expanded their sound beyond thrash metal and made it big.

May 14, 2021
I thought Some Kind of Monster was excellent. Rewatched it recently on Netflix and it was even better.

Its funny that Metallica didn't get a mention in either Woodstock 99 documentary.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
They also put a ton of free concerts up during the bulk of the pandemic, and they mostly play center stage while touring so everyone has good seats.

Metal has issues, and it isn't Metallica.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
With or without napster artist compensation was going to continue to get worse and worse. 360 deals did more damage for artists than streaming did.

If anything one could argue their war on Napster did more damage for artist compensation via streaming b/c the music industry was intent on controlling the whole thing and waging war on it.
It certainly wasn't a savvy move but ethically it was absolutely correct.

Oct 26, 2017
Most of my favorite bands have gone through lots of change from their inception, and it's one of the things I love about them. Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, and In Flames come to mind. All have faced similar backlash in "abandoning their roots."

I remember having to constantly read articles 5-10 years ago from other metal bands where they'd bash Metallica for changing. It always came across petty, and from bands who wish they had half the success of Metallica. Maybe those interviews and comments still exist and I just stopped going to sites with music "news"

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
I once saw an social media post about how Metallica were racist because they declined a collaboration between them, Axl Rose, and Ice T back in the day. (Even though 50% of Metallica is PoC, they later collaborated with Ja Rule, and even had Snoop Dogg do a fairly disastrous cover of Sad But True at their "Icons" ceremony.) Pretty obvs they declined because they hate Axl Rose, and that idea sounds incredibly shitty.

People be trying. I love them though, there is always something worth checking out in every era -- even if you don't like St. Anger (which I don't), you gotta love the Some Kind of Monster documentary.

HE FOKKING LEFT THE BAND

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Somewhat related, but I love that Metallica puts up recordings of damn near all of their live shows.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Napster / St Anger thing was the big 1-2 punch that turned casual metal fans and the mainstream off. Like yeah they were technically correct about Napster, but it came across as Metallica solidifying themselves as "the man" while the Offspring and System of a Down played into the other direction.

Plus the simultaneous general decline of the genre in the mainstream as people turned to nu-metal, emo, and whatever in-between genre SOAD is, didn't help either.

St Anger also really was that bad and I won't hear otherwise. I've never been more disappointed with a brand new CD in my life.

May 14, 2021
Probably doesn't help that for decades Mustaine was out there acting like a child and shitting on the band that rightfully, he admits, cut him loose.

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
Despite the tin can drums
… And Justice For All

is still the greatest thing ever.
From Blackened to Dyer's Eve and everywhere in between

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
when you're a primary architecht of a style as badass as thrash + pump out three all-timers in a row (rtl–ajfa) + have an additional four albums that range from good–great + still put on some of the best live performances in the genre you get some leeway. the napster thing definitely sucked, dm's mastering is flat, st. anger is terrible, etc., but they've more than earned their legendary status. hating on metallica is like hating on sabbath because half their albums are middling and ozzie is a douche

95%+ of bands wish they had even a fraction of the talent and songwriting abilities metallica did in their prime. "metallica sucks" is such a tired and laughably ignorant take

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I think the days of hating Metallica have passed at this point.
My guess is people have just moved past caring one way or another at this point. They're so far removed from when they were releasing worthwhile music that it's kinda irrelevant. People will always have nostalgia for their early material, but I also don't personally know anyone into metal who actively still listens to them.

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
I stopped listening at Load, Black Album was last show I saw

my son was born day after show in 1989 with his pregnant mom rocking out and holding it in 24 hours. The Cult opened that they were awful.

www.setlist.fm

Metallica Setlist at Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha

Get the Metallica Setlist of the concert at Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE, USA on June 14, 1989 from the Damaged Justice Tour and other Metallica Setlists for free on setlist.fm!

edit:
hahaha yeah
The Cult was the only band I have ever seen get actively boooed that Mike Patton wasn't in

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
James talks about how metal fans tried to cancel them in the 80s when they released Fade to Black, because it was a "slow" song. Cliff apparently was behind that song and said anyone who hates them for releasing a slow song can fuck off.

I also remember "how dare they use an acoustic guitar!"
But as everyone else has said, I thought the hate thing boiled over a long time ago.
They were right about Napster and they did later admit they went overboard in going after their own fans.
Black Album introduced me to the band. I liked their earlier stuff but Black Album has some great songs too.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The fan entitlement over them "selling out" was always ridiculous. A sign that people's behavior online over shit like video games isn't anything new.
That said, the older they got the worse their music got and the more they presented themselves as whiny old straight men, along with every negative that contains. A clear example of what was once the rebellious crowd in the 80s becoming the standard to rebel against without them realizing it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They also put a ton of free concerts up during the bulk of the pandemic, and they mostly play center stage while touring so everyone has good seats.

Metal has issues, and it isn't Metallica.

yeah the concert videos they put up are cool. Its kinda good advertisement to go see them live, they upload one song from like every show they play.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The most hated metal band that outsold basically the rest of the prominent metal bands combined. I wish more bands were hated like that.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Greatest band currently playing, they are gods. James is a hero of mine, lars can be a little insufferable but a legend as well. Cant help to respect a band that does what they want and the way they want it...also bonus point for all the amazing charity work they so

Oct 27, 2017
I always roll my eyes whenever Metallica are called sellouts. They've been called that since fucking Fade to Black haha
Greatest band currently playing, they are gods. James is a hero of mine, lars can be a little insufferable but a legend as well. Cant help to respect a band that does what they want and the way they want it...also bonus point for all the amazing charity work they so
I always find it funny how everyone loves James (granted I do too he's one of my guitar heroes and probably my favorite member and frontman of all time) and everyone hates Lars. Lars is one of the nicest members of the band and genuinely likes interacting with the fans, especially during stuff like meet n greets and such. James doesn't even do meet n greets anymore and only really interacts with fans while on stage.

That said, they are legendary and I can't wait to see them again. I really hope they have a 2nd US leg of this tour.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love Metal snobs gate keeping because they mistake their musical taste with fact.

Yeah, while I think as a band they are overrated and St Anger is a shit album the gatekeeping regarding albums like The Black Album and Load/Reload is not much different from other artists in Hard Rock/Metal who experimented with new sounds (Blue Oyster Cult, Def Leppard, Van Halen, ect.).

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
The whole Napster thing is bullshit. The main reason they went after Napster was due to an un-released song being leak on it. Also how does other artist like Dr. Dre get a pass for the same thing?

I will say if you happen to be one of the most popular heavy metals of all-time and have an actual crossover audience you will also be one of the most hated. The gatekeeping by metalheads (see me in late 80's and early 90's) is more insufferable than Lars has ever been. While I don't listen to anything from them that is not from the 80's now, I still understand why they would change it up. They deserve all their popularity and respect (like the RRHOF) they have gained over the years. Say what you want about Lars, but him + James as a songwriting team was leaps and bounds better than anyone at the time in metal.

Also, Megadeth fans are the worst. They just can't give up the ghost of Megadeth vs Metallica. I am sorry but that battle was over 30+ years ago. IN 50 years most people will only know Megadeth as a footnote in Metallica's history.

I stopped listening at Load, Black Album was last show I saw

my son was born day after show in 1989 with his pregnant mom rocking out and holding it in 24 hours. The Cult opened that they were awful.

www.setlist.fm

Metallica Setlist at Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha

Get the Metallica Setlist of the concert at Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE, USA on June 14, 1989 from the Damaged Justice Tour and other Metallica Setlists for free on setlist.fm!

I also went to this tour in 1989 at the start of my senior year in high school and I even got backstage after the show. Might be the best night of my life as a teenager.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

The sellout thing is always funny to me because shifting your style is the exact opposite of "making music for money, not the art." You want sellouts, go look at the myriad bands out there that have released 14 albums that all sound the exact same as their most successful one.