Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
The hate and "sellout" thing is mostly camo-shorts wearing neckbeards angry because they dared to sound different and not rehash the same album over and over again.

Load is great.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
What year is this, 2000? It's too late, they're beyond criticism now and up there with the all-timers...Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin et al. They left the haters and their arbitrary rules in the dust a long time ago.

Pocketfudge

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metallica lost me long ago when the Black Album came out. Not trying to be music snob or anything but I was a huge fan of theirs before that and the Black Album just hit me differently. Well that and the fact that I was already balls deep into underground/grunge during that time. Just never went back.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Ozzy would like a word with u …

sold alll the way out and not gaf
still the prince of darkness tho he can barely stand

As someone who grew up in the south during Satanic panic, not in a million years would I've dreamed that Ozzy would become a household name and the laughingstock of reality TV. I remember when he came to my town on the Ultimate Sin tour (with Metallica opening, God I hate I missed that show), people acted like Satan was showing up himself.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think Napster was the big one and st. Anger universally sucking

I'm not a Metallica fan

Whenever St Anger comes up, i remember the local Rock station (who always did a couple hour block of 'mandatory metallica' on weekends) getting so hyped up for the release that they were going to play the ENTIRE album on release day, without interruptions for the whole day.

They got through exactly ONE playthrough of St. Anger and spent the rest of the day apologizing to the audience

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My guess is people have just moved past caring one way or another at this point. They're so far removed from when they were releasing worthwhile music that it's kinda irrelevant. People will always have nostalgia for their early material, but I also don't personally know anyone into metal who actively still listens to them.
Pretty much.

Metallica seems pretty universally loved, unless you are an elitist gatekeeping metal snob
Gotta love Metal snobs gate keeping because they mistake their musical taste with fact.
The irony in these posts is nothing short of amazing. "You have to like what I like or else you're an elitist jerk"

The sellout thing is always funny to me because shifting your style is the exact opposite of "making music for money, not the art." You want sellouts, go look at the myriad bands out there that have released 14 albums that all sound the exact same as their most successful one.
This makes no sense. Metallica changed their sound after AJFA to be more accessible and radio-friendly, this is undeniable. It doesn't mean having a more commercial-friendly sound is necessarily "selling out", but a band "doing the same album over and over" is clearly not trying to get mainstream success and are obviously just doing whatever they like.

CoconutTiger

Oct 6, 2020
Germany
For me at least, it was when one of them found it "kinda cool" that brothers where tortured with their music in guantanamo or Abu ghraib or such, I can't remember which one.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it funny how everyone loves James (granted I do too he's one of my guitar heroes and probably my favorite member and frontman of all time) and everyone hates Lars. Lars is one of the nicest members of the band and genuinely likes interacting with the fans, especially during stuff like meet n greets and such. James doesn't even do meet n greets anymore and only really interacts with fans while on stage.

That said, they are legendary and I can't wait to see them again. I really hope they have a 2nd US leg of this tour.

I believe Lars just mellowed out with age? All of them did obviously, but IIRC Hetfield specifically noted it in some feature in So What! (don't remember if that was in an interview or fan mail section, but whatever).

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Assumed the video was gonna be another "Young person who discovered Metallica thanks to Stranger Things attempts to cancel the band based on seeing an iron cross emblem on a guitar."

This really happened? God, I fucking hate the youth of today lol

I never hated Metallica for becoming popular, I stopped liking them because they started writing shit music.

Megadeth was always the better band and still is. Listen to the a couple songs released from the new album and it blows away everything Metallica has done the past 30 fuckin years.

May 14, 2021
This really happened? God, I fucking hate the youth of today lol

I never hated Metallica for becoming popular, I stopped liking them because they started writing shit music.

Megadeth was always the better band and still is. Listen to the a couple songs released from the new album and it blows away everything Metallica has done the past 30 fuckin years.
Yep, but they quickly found out you can't cancel a god.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This makes no sense. Metallica changed their sound after AJFA to be more accessible and radio-friendly, this is undeniable. It doesn't mean having a more commercial-friendly sound is necessarily "selling out", but a band "doing the same album over and over" is clearly not trying to get mainstream success and are obviously just doing whatever they like.

I dunno if I entirely agree with that. For instance, Load and ReLoad were obviously things they wanted to do. James loves country, Kirk loves blues, and they all love metal/rock. Those albums may very well be more "them" than anything else in their discography.

I think its also important to remember that Metallica were already starting to get pretty mainstream by the end of AJFA. At that point they were being played on MTV, headlining arenas, and nominated for a grammy. I would say changing their music at that point took more balls since there was no guarantee of success than sticking with the same formula and riding out growing popularity. Im sure plenty of bands stick with the same sounding albums in fear of losing established fans and not potentially earning new ones.

In regards to Napster - there's still people to this day who dont quite understand what went down. Some believe Metallica sued fans. When in reality all they did was ask Napster to remove users sharing their music, Napster said it was impossible, then the lawyers or whomever of Metallica found those users that weekend. Said users were then removed. It was never about suing them.

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
-Death Magnetic. Did they ever fix this mastering? When the GH versions sounded better than the CD, I was like WTF?

I don't think anyone else has addressed this, but…yes, actually, they did! The current streaming versions (at least, Apple Music) have noticeably improved mastering compared to the original CD & digital release.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Old guy take. Liked their old stuff but they started to change and people weren't vibing with it. When they saw that and saw how people were getting their old stuff through Napster it felt like they freaked out too hard and we're more worried about the money. The reality of it is is that most musicians money comes through touring and merch then it does through streaming. The same was to be said of their CD and record sales. I also think the music industry used them but they went full dive into it.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Hating on Metallica is pretty passé, but it's not surprising there was pushback when the headliner of any underground music scene crosses over as sharply as they did. I just don't think their music from Black Album on is as interesting as their earlier stuff.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno if I entirely agree with that. For instance, Load and ReLoad were obviously things they wanted to do. James loves country, Kirk loves blues, and they all love metal/rock. Those albums may very well be more "them" than anything else in their discography.
That's nice in theory, but it comes down to the results. Someone like Dylan doing something new and defying expectations, in the face of fan backlash, gave us Like a Rolling Stone. Metallica gave us Fuel...

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
As someone who grew up in the south during Satanic panic, not in a million years would I've dreamed that Ozzy would become a household name and the laughingstock of reality TV. I remember when he came to my town on the Ultimate Sin tour (with Metallica opening, God I hate I missed that show), people acted like Satan was showing up himself.
He EATS BATS !!!?!??

man dude Ozzy and Randy at their peak was magic it was soooo evil but just this side of cartoon

that was great

i do feel sad for dude, Randy death was not how it should go down

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The haters were mostly edgelords who were afraid to like something popular and the purists who can't accept a metal band doing something different.

Kill 'em All came out in 1983. Metallica still fills up stadiums almost 40 years later.

They're up there with the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, etc... as GOAT bands.

I'd say most, if not all of today's music creators are thankful Metallica took a PR hit to knock out Napster and steer the industry to streaming services so everyone would get paid for their work.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is genuinely the first time I've heard of hate for the Black Album. What's that about? Every single track on there ranges from great to incredible. It's probably as close to a near perfect album that I've ever heard personally.

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
thats when they got MTV airtime nonstop

MTV is lamers all the kids say so Metallica has a video that isn't ONE so they sold out

totally tracks

May 14, 2021
This is genuinely the first time I've heard of hate for the Black Album. What's that about? Every single track on there ranges from great to incredible. It's probably as close to a near perfect album that I've ever heard personally.
As Jason once famously said, with the Black album Metallica sold out…every stadium in the world.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
They're up there with the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, etc... as GOAT bands.
The question of their legacy in the mainstream vs. their legacy in the metal scene are two different things, imo. They'll be remembered as one of the biggest rock bands to ever exist. For people with more than a passing interest in metal though, I don't think they're anywhere near as revered as bands like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, etc.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
They made badass older albums and a classic breakthrough album. Mostly shit since then but that concert/movie thing was rad. They're goats now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's excruciatingly boring and completely sanitized and tepid compared to their previous stuff. The only song on it I kinda like is Wherever I May Roam. Unforgiven is OK. This album epitomizes "soulless" honestly.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I don't think anyone else has addressed this, but…yes, actually, they did! The current streaming versions (at least, Apple Music) have noticeably improved mastering compared to the original CD & digital release.
Came in here looking for this information. Leaving happy. I'm not a huge Metallica fan by any means, but Death Magnetic has some bangers that are really swallowed by bad mastering. Would love to hear that album with a better stab at it.

It's less thrashy than their earlier works, so the fans that started with the band didn't like the change in sound. I personally prefer it because it's easier to sing to >.>

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
The hate and "sellout" thing is mostly camo-shorts wearing neckbeards angry because they dared to sound different and not rehash the same album over and over again.

Load is great.

When it comes to their music output, I agree with this 100 percent. They have a better track record than 90 percent of bands, but they are a "victim" of having a tremendous first couple of albums.

When I was young, I was annoyed by their Napster stance, but in retrospect they were right - I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
Lars was right about Napster but fighting for the wrong reasons. The music industry was a dinosaur littered with greed and vampiric contracts and labels, and Napster was a symptom of that as well as a sign of a future the industry was wholly unprepared for.

Streaming services aren't much better and buying/listening to music is still largely unprofitable for anyone but the top of the top, but artists have so many avenues to cut out the middle man and be discovered/supported online nowadays.

Radiohead had the right idea when they put out In Rainbows as pay-what-you-want; a fuck you to the industry, forward thinking, and it didn't involve them sending a list of their fans names and addresses as part of a lawsuit.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I always roll my eyes whenever Metallica are called sellouts. They've been called that since fucking Fade to Black haha

I always find it funny how everyone loves James (granted I do too he's one of my guitar heroes and probably my favorite member and frontman of all time) and everyone hates Lars. Lars is one of the nicest members of the band and genuinely likes interacting with the fans, especially during stuff like meet n greets and such. James doesn't even do meet n greets anymore and only really interacts with fans while on stage.

That said, they are legendary and I can't wait to see them again. I really hope they have a 2nd US leg of this tour.
Completely agree, I met them both during the stanger era and Lars was by far the most chatty and nice. The thing with lars ia that he is a caricature of the typical rockstar lol

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona

Even after 20-30 odd years, metal purists are still huffing at the fact that their favorite band either changed their sound or got popular. In Metallica's case, it was both. A lot of people got into them (myself included) because of the Black album.

St. Anger is still dog shit, but it's still fun to listen to on the weird occasion.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize the hate for Metallica was still even a thing.

The combo punch of Napster and St Anger left a black eye for a bit. But i thought that shit was way under the rug by the time Death Magnet came out.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like Metallica Black Album onward, but "most hated" is only because they were the most popular. In terms of the ratio of hatred/how well known the band is, Burzum, Inquisition, and a ton of other metal bands far surpass Metallica.

Like, there's a lot of actual terrorists and murderers and child abusers and Holocaust deniers in this industry. It would be like calling Drake more hated than 6ix9ine

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Pretty much.

The irony in these posts is nothing short of amazing. "You have to like what I like or else you're an elitist jerk"

Wait what? Are u saying black is similar to load/reload rhat is similar to st anger etc... Love them or not, these records are vastly different from one another

Oct 28, 2017
California
I was too young to remember the Black Album backlash but boy do I remember them coming off as villains during the Napster thing.

And when St. Anger dropped lmao do I remember all the shit they took people HATED that album 😂

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Surprised nobody brought up the music video thing as part of them "selling out". Supposedly they used to claim they would never make music videos but then did

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
There are other reasons to think less of Metallica, specifically James. During the 90s, he motioned the act of inserting a heroin needle into his arm while performing at a concert because Layne Staley didn't attend it on account of Layne suffering from drug addiction. I know James changed his perspective on Layne as a person later on, but man, what a piece of work he was in his younger years.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
a band "doing the same album over and over" is clearly not trying to get mainstream success and are obviously just doing whatever they like.

Nah, not if they were already big. Like I get the sellout complaints if some really underground group pivots their sound, but Metallica? The easiest money they could've ever wanted would be to just imitate RTL forever. Like, I like AC/DC but that's what they did. No reason to really buy their newer albums like Black Ice imo when the sound is the same as the tapes I've already got.

It's way easier to play the same stuff forever if it's already paying your bills.

coma

Oct 28, 2017

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The album is perfection. But, people cried about them "selling out" with it. Metallica has literally had people crying about them selling out their entire careers. Put out a balad on their 2nd album. Released a music video on their 4th. Had radio hits with their 5th. Cut their hair on the 6th (no fucking joke, this had people crying)...

I'm not saying people have to like Metallica or all their albums. Personal preference is personal preference. But, the vitriol that surrounds the band at times is 100% because they are so popular. The more something somone dislikes becomes popular, the more that dislike turns into hate. It is insane to watch their Facebook page post shit about their charity or something and see comments about how they were shit after Burton died or something. Just fucking pathetic losers who can't stand Metallica being the biggest hard rock band of all time.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The worst Metallica fans are the ones that sent death threats to Lou Reed for recording Lulu with them.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always roll my eyes whenever Metallica are called sellouts. They've been called that since fucking Fade to Black haha

Are they still doing meet and greets now? I know James stopped doing them for a bit, but I thought once they started straight up selling them, he was at them. I know the disclaimer on them says all members might not attend, but pretty sure that was a "just in case" thing, but the norm before covid was that they were all there, usually.

Edit: So, it looks like maybe they officially said it during 2020 that he wouldn't be doing them. So, I wonder if he stopped after his return to rehab at the end of 2019. Before that, you can find people saying he doesn't, but others comment say he was at their meet and greets.

Last edited: