entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yuffie will leave you the basics and run off laughing.
It's too dumb, man lol.

You guys and your Yuffie Deux ex machine to explain the Materia loss lmao. Even in the original, you get them back.

dude, this is just a flat out lie lol. You are projecting your own experience as a fact.

He means that what's the point of a super-powerful Summon when you can't use it on anything meaningful like another Superboss.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's too dumb, man lol.

You guys and your Yuffie Deux ex machine to explain the Materia loss lmao. Even in the original, you get them back.
They can probably give it back to you near the end of the second part or whatever. Might make it easier for endgame stuff or newgame plus. You beat the 2nd part and Yuffie gives you your stuff back for Hard Mode. lol

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
They can probably give it back to you near the end of the second part or whatever. Might make it easier for endgame stuff or newgame plus. You beat the 2nd part and Yuffie gives you your stuff back for Hard Mode. lol
This is too complex, man lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They can't keep stealing your shit over and over again. Like what, are we supposed to unlock the exact same Ifrit summon four separate times?

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
It's a complete non-issue to me. The developers nailed the Remake and sold me on future titles. They can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he can basically do anything the script needs him to at this point so i wouldnt be suprised lol
Maybe there's just a group of bosses around like Ultimecia's Castle and you defeat them to get one materia back at a time (or choose to buy them)
But I suppose they couldn't do that again in the third one.

I think there was a boss in the original called Materia Keeper, like you defeat one, each one is different and the materia could be even more powerful when you get it back.

Last edited:

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Not a hard reset as in no materia. Nah. My prediction is you will get preset materia--Cloud having a Lighting Materia, Aeris having Pray, Cure, and so on. You'll also have your old summons since they're easy to rebalance.

Materia is one of the big things of this game. While you may not have your original sets, starting with no Materia will be too jarring.

I think you are right about all of this. I think Part 1 intentionally limited the number of summon materia to account for this. I don't think you will start at complete zero but you will have humble beginnings at the beginning of Part 2.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Not really but either way, people should expect to lose all their stuff until notified otherwise. Mass Effect 1 to 2 did something similar. ME2 to 3 was much better handled but they capped you off at level 30 in ME2.
Again you're comparing true sequels to a remake saga that is remaking a single game. Way different design considerations.

I'm more in the preset camp than carrying everything over camp. But not having any materia will be too jarring and not met with positivity.

Diablos54

Oct 26, 2017
Levels and abilities are easy, just carry them over like Kiseki does, new players who start on say 35 would be able to catch up quite easily then.

In terms of materia, apart from maybe Bad Breath you could carry most of it over no problem. Just establish that materia outside Midgar is better or some bullshit reason and add -Ja magic or do it in levels like the original. That way everyone gets to keep their stuff but it's not as effective as before. There's still so much materia we haven't seen yet or had multiple versions of that there's plenty of room to expand without having to take anything away.

Just please no stupid reset reason ala Kingdom Hearts. I don't mind there but this is totally different, it's supposed to be one story so progression should happen in accordance.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Levels and abilities are easy, just carry them over like Kiseki does, new players who start on say 35 would be able to catch up quite easily then.

In terms of materia, apart from maybe Bad Breath you could carry most of it over no problem. Just establish that materia outside Midgar is better or some bullshit reason and add -Ja magic or do it in levels like the original. That way everyone gets to keep their stuff but it's not as effective as before. There's still so much materia we haven't seen yet or had multiple versions of that there's plenty of room to expand without having to take anything away.

Just please no stupid reset reason ala Kingdom Hearts. I don't mind there but this is totally different, it's supposed to be one story so progression should happen in accordance.
You could also nerf Bad Breath.

So you think they're letting you import everything as is so you can steamroll the game from the getgo?

No?

You make the enemies more durable and menacing. Not a hard problem.

That said I think everyone will start at a specific level and have specific preset materia.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you think they're letting you import everything as is so you can steamroll the game from the getgo?

It really won't be hard to balance the game in such a way that you won't be able to "steamroll" the game. Take away the Gotterdammerung and maybe Bad Breath and you're already golden. You can't really break the combat system in Part 1.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If your stuff is garbage outside the city then who cares if you lose it?
It really won't be hard to balance the game in such a way that you won't be able to "steamroll" the game. Take away the Gotterdammerung and maybe Bad Breath and you're already golden. You can't really break the combat system in Part 1.
That seems vastly more complicated when you have to balance newcomers, new combat mechanics, and new materia then just wiping the slate clean.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Considering that this game is going to cross generations, I doubt progress will carry over. It's definitely a possibility, but I doubt. It just feels like how the game is structured and how it ends, you'll start from scratch and they'll make some reason to justify that. At the most, (to not exclude new players that may weirdly start with the second game) you may get like maybe a 10-15 level boost off a recognized existing game save of the first game or something like that maybe.

Yuffie is going to steal all our materia and then lost them

This is definitely going to happen. I'd be surprised if it didn't. Maybe if you didn't play the previous game before this one then she'll acknowledge that you don't have anything to steal and insult your party or something like that instead.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The funny thing about "Yuffie stealing your Materia" is that Materia doesn't give Cloud the athletic ability to leap into the sky nor does it give him strength to cut steel & concrete in half with a sword. That's just his physical abilities. I wonder how they're going to bring the team's outlandish strengths back to reality.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Maybe not for you but it will be for a lot of people. Everything that they worked for in Midgar just disappearing would sting bad.
That's what happens in most trilogies/sets of games. This feels exactly like some of the arguments I saw floating around during the Mass Effect era.

Always assume you'll lose everything until notified otherwise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Or you just wipe everything. This isn't a big deal.

Having everything you worked hard to get vanish and then be forced to earn it over again is more of a big deal to me than anything else. Why would I put effort into getting Shiva again? Why waste the player's time reunlocking shit they already unlocked once before?

There's already PLENTY OF STUFF the player is gonna need to put effort into getting in Part 2. Why add more filler content that basically serves as "get back what you already got once" missions when you could just let them keep it?

Do you want Part 2 to be 80 hours of mostly filler instead? And then you want them to take it all away and suddenly part 3 is even longer than that?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"Put all your materia in this cannon and that should get rid of the Zolom outside!"
Mayor of Kalm

Just thinking of the stupidest things now.

ofmana

May 31, 2019
It's obvious you just balance the game to cope with every combination of levels, equipment, materia and abilities learnt that the player can have at the end of FF7 Remake Part 1 whilst ensuring a smooth transition for new players who haven't played through the first game and so don't know the ins and out of the combat system yet by giving them an overwhelming amount of gameplay mechanics and choices at the start of the game. That's the most sensible thing to do rather than just having a clean slate start for all players with like the odd item or weapon perhaps for players starting with cleared save data.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Have Zeus stab the party through the chest with the Blade of Olympus, killing them all and sending them to the depths of Hades. Once the party fights their way back up through Hades, they have lost all their powers and need to start again.

Fuck sake guys. It ain't rocket science.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
"Mass Effect is a trilogy, of course your stats should carry over. If our choices carry over then our stats/inventory should carry over."
We don't even know if this thing will be a trilogy.

Second, ME is an original series. This is a remake of a single game.

And finally, materia plays a big role in both story and combat mechanics of the game.

They are not going to wipe out your Materia inventory every installment. At the least, you will be given some preset materia.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Mass Effect is a trilogy, of course your stats should carry over. If our choices carry over then our stats/inventory should carry over."

So I guess at the beginning of Part 4 Cloud should feel as pathetic and weak as he was at the beginning of Part 1, because it's a new game?

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I guess at the beginning of Part 4 Cloud should feel as pathetic and weak as he was at the beginning of Part 1, because it's a new game?
The combat mechanics are probably going to be different so who the hell knows. They also might allow you a select number of materia or just reset it to level 1 or 2. That's also going to be likely 10 years out. Unless they plan for it advance and notify the player, never assume you're just getting a 1 to 1 transfer.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Have Zeus stab the party through the chest with the Blade of Olympus, killing them all and sending them to the depths of Hades. Once the party fights their way back up through Hades, they have lost all their powers and need to start again.

Fuck sake guys. It ain't rocket science.

Replace Zeus with Midgar Zolom and we're good to go.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

We killed fucking Fate itself in Part 1, and smacked Sephiroth's ass. Yet in Part 2 the party is going to get killed by a random wolf in the overworld.

You can't just make sense with all this shit in a game, it's impossible.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
We killed fucking Fate itself in Part 1, and smacked Sephiroth's ass. Yet in Part 2 the party is going to get killed by a random wolf in the overworld.

You can't make all this shit makes sense in a game.
Killing fate has made it so even a normal wolf can kill Cloud now, anything is possible.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some concerns are so funny. It's a new game, they will make you start from scratch and their natural abilities from the first game could definitely be adapted to normal attacks but doing normal damage.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

You can't just make sense with all this shit in a game, it's impossible.

One of many reasons why Part 1 ending the way it did was a mistake, but that's an entirely different thread discussion.

Point is: don't waste my time making me earn shit I already earned. Fuck that. Part 1 already had too much filler as it is, forcing the player to do extra work just to get back to where they were at the end of the last part is not what I want out of a sequel. Focus on new stuff.

If I get to Part 3 or Part 4 and the game expects me to be excited about Fira again I'm gonna scream. Firaja and Firaza exist for a reason.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best comparison, but maybe something like how the .hack games handle it. Each game in the series had a hard level cap which was raised with each game after that. The GU games were 50/100/150 for respectively for each entry going forward and you could import your levels and items over to the next game.

I noticed it still keeps tallying EXP in FVIIR even when you hit 50, which is something GU did up to a point. In the latter, you could get to Level 50 and be 1 exp from what would be a level up. Then as soon as you start in the second game after importing and fight, you'll immediately get to 51 from the exp you get. Granted, this could mean nothing in FVIIR depending on how much thought they've put into this so far.

Personally, I say carry over everything done in terms of levels, weapons and materia. There's still a lot of materia that wasn't available that was in the original that can be added and they could always add new mechanics or make it so that there are now more levels added into what materia you have maxed so there's now more to do.

I guess having Yuffie steal all your stuff would be a narrative means for it, but that feels cheap and it's a card you can only play once. If you're going to have her do that, have it be a temporary thing and once you've done whatever you need to do you get anything she took back.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 won't be about chasing Sephiroth, it will be about chasing Yuffie to get all your shit back

It just happens that Yuffie is heading west towards Junon and then Wutai

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
It's obvious you just balance the game to cope with every combination of levels, equipment, materia and abilities learnt that the player can have at the end of FF7 Remake Part 1 whilst ensuring a smooth transition for new players who haven't played through the first game and so don't know the ins and out of the combat system yet by giving them an overwhelming amount of gameplay mechanics and choices at the start of the game. That's the most sensible thing to do rather than just having a clean slate start for all players with like the odd item or weapon perhaps for players starting with cleared save data.

Finally someone reasonable!