• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

I kind of don't care for it. I can acknowledge it does bookend the movie with the beginning and it parallels Sarah's visions of the playground prior to nuclear devastation.

I just think its too neat and saccharine and not in tone with the rest of the film. I think the actual ending is hopeful but uncertain. We don't know what the future brings.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
Also the makeup on and wig they have on Linda Hamilton in that scene is so substandard, especially when compared to how immaculate everything is in the rest of the film

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It made no sense, and the ending Cameron went with is the superior one, but it could have definitely ended the series and saved us from all these shitty sequels. T3 - if it would have been made at all - would have been a future war prequel. That's it.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like this ending. Seeing adult John happy with his daughter. It was nice. Also essentially snubbing all future films from existence is a nice touch too.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The idea of the ending isn't terrible, as said it would've closed things off earlier on. However, the way it's presented here definitely seems really off.
The make-up looks odd and it wraps things up a bit too happily.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Studios would have found a way to make sequels regardless. At least the ending they went with has given us Dark Fate. Possibly the best Terminator yet!

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I think the fact that it's hidden on at least a couple of the home releases and you have to enter a code to access it says something about how people feel about it. It's a neat throwaway but the ending we got in T2 is fine as is.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
So Cameron himself really did consider changing the rules of time travel in his own fictional world.

I mean, it seemed so with the direction T2 went. But this is so blatant.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
I hate asking this since it'll sound like an obnoxious plot hole hunter youtuber question but like how the fuck would they be able to live their lives so openly and John becomes a US senator.

It makes no fucking sense.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Cameron himself really did consider changing the rules of time travel in his own fictional world.

I mean, it seemed so with the direction T2 went. But this is so blatant.
I mean it wouldn't have been a change. This seems in line with his original idea that Skynet wanted to kill itself but couldn't self terminate so it created John Connor. Which possibly means that at some point there was a timeline, the original, in which skynet won completely and realized it fucked up.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate asking this since it'll sound like an obnoxious plot hole hunter youtuber question but like how the fuck would they be able to live their lives so openly and John becomes a US senator.

It makes no fucking sense.

aren't most of the people hunting for sarah dead and or probably locked up because they too were spouting off "MACHINE FROM THE FUTURE"

Also probably they got brand new identities after 2 wraps up.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it wouldn't have been a change. This seems in line with his original idea that Skynet wanted to kill itself but couldn't self terminate so it created John Connor. Which possibly means that at some point there was a timeline, the original, in which skynet won completely and realized it fucked up.

Where is this from?

In the film itself (The Terminator, that is) the timeline is demonstrably unchangeable. The attempt to change it was already a part of history. The most solid evidence of this (besides Kyle being John's father) is the photograph. The audience saw that Kyle's photo of Sarah and the one she gets at the end are the same. None of the characters know this, though. They don't know that the timeline can't be changed (even with time travel) and that time is a closed loop, so they tried to change it anyway.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this from?

In the film itself (The Terminator, that is) the timeline is demonstrably unchangeable. The attempt to change it was already a part of history. The most solid evidence of this (besides Kyle being John's father) is the photograph. The audience saw that Kyle's photo of Sarah and the one she gets at the end are the same. None of the characters know this, though. They don't know that the timeline can't be changed (even with time travel) and that time is a closed loop, so they tried to change it anyway.

It's in an official art book of some kind. I don't remember, but's it one of Cameron's original ideas for the story.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way John made it to the Senate with his mother being a mentally unstable domestic terrorist

Oct 25, 2017
I just think its too neat and saccharine and not in tone with the rest of the film. I think the actual ending is hopeful but uncertain. We don't know what the future brings.

That was the reason Cameron gave for removing it. It just didn't jibe with the rest of the movie at all and was tonally jarring. He also brought up the old age makeup as not something the audience would really buy into if it hadn't already been established earlier in the movie.

But this was very late in the game and there was no time left to film a new ending. So they used some footage they shot for the trip to cyberdyne and had Linda do new voiceover. The available footage was relatively short so they had to make sure what they wrote for her fit within that time.

In the end they were much happier with the ending that surprisingly came together last minute.
It was a good call.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The special edition (like the Aliens special edition) is inferior in my eyes for lots of reasons.

These aren't a case like with the Abyss where Cameron wasn't able to deliver on his original ideas. Both T2 and Aliens as released theatrically, are his directors cuts. The special editions are just interesting extra fluff, but I generally don't watch them when I want to revisit either movie.

The Abyss, the special edition is the one I always go to.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never knew Linda Hamilton had a twin and they did use her in T2 scenes instead of camera trickery.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
The special edition (like the Aliens special edition) is inferior in my eyes for lots of reasons.

These aren't a case like with the Abyss where Cameron wasn't able to deliver on his original ideas. Both T2 and Aliens as released theatrically, are his directors cuts. The special editions are just interesting extra fluff, but I generally don't watch them when I want to revisit either movie.

I think the context of Ripley's daughter having died of old age is a good scene, however I cant not watch aliens without the sentry turrets, so I always go directors cut. lol

Oct 28, 2017

Aliens Special Edition is Cameron's preferred cut I believe.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. What.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People acing like this ending would have stopped any future sequels when a Terminator 3 that followed this one would just have their movie start with this being a dream or the nukes going off as her grand daughter running up to her recreating the playground nuke scene from T2.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that of all the actors that played John Conner, the one with no lines was the best one.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think the context of Ripley's daughter having died of old age is a good scene, however I cant not watch aliens without the sentry turrets, so I always go directors cut. lol
The information is good, but the set and back projection in it, are terrible.

My main issue with the SE, is showing Hadley's Hope before the marines get there really undermines the tension. I definitely encourage anyone who hasn't seen the movie to start with the theatrical release for that reason alone.

The sentry turret scene is fantastic though. No question. That should have stayed in.

Oct 28, 2017
This alt ending is terrible. Represents the worst of Cameron's writing. So glad he went with the highway ending and an uncertain future

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan of Little Shop of Horrors and only found out about the true ending this year, and it was amazing and made so much more sense. Too bad that the weird other one was the main ending.

www.youtube.com

Little Shop of Horrors Original Ending YouTube

I did not make any of this I saw that it was removed and figured I would reupload it.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The alternate ending is the only "deleted" scene I think in the whole film that doesn't really add anything to the overall film. Aside from, as OP mentioned, it comes off a bit hokey with the super positive ending (despite Sarah clearly still hiding her paranoia) I don't think it really matches well with the overall tone and messaging of the film. For as much as the movie tries to beat you over the head with the concept that the future is not certain and the only fate is the one we make for ourselves, it just seems odd that we this binary super utopia to contrast with what we've seen with the Future War.

The rest of the deleted scenes though I think really add more context to what is happening in the film and should have made the final cut. I get that they were mostly cut for time, but IIRC, these scenes added maybe an extra 10-15 minutes on the total runtime of the film? That's nothing.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's no way John made it to the Senate with his mother being a mentally unstable domestic terrorist
We sort of have a mentally unstable domestic terror as president. I dunno....

I think the ending is a bit too saccharine, but I'd probably have taken it if it meant closing the book on the sequels.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

I like the chip switch flip scene.

And the "happy" ending isn't on the SE anyway.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan of Little Shop of Horrors and only found out about the true ending this year, and it was amazing and made so much more sense. Too bad that the weird other one was the main ending.

www.youtube.com

Little Shop of Horrors Original Ending YouTube

I did not make any of this I saw that it was removed and figured I would reupload it.
Most stage productions use this ending as their ending.
We sort of have a mentally unstable domestic terror as president. I dunno....
Fair enough

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's better not knowing.

Try this instead:

Btw, there's no mirror in that shot.

this was a great scene. Arnie knowing something happened while he was off added tension too - so even the "good switch" doesn't lessen the sense of doubt.

also the idea that he could now make up his own mind makes him more dangerous not less and future John must have known that. So it creates a nice tangle of doubt and trust.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
That was the reason Cameron gave for removing it. It just didn't jibe with the rest of the movie at all and was tonally jarring. He also brought up the old age makeup as not something the audience would really buy into if it hadn't already been established earlier in the movie.

But this was very late in the game and there was no time left to film a new ending. So they used some footage they shot for the trip to cyberdyne and had Linda do new voiceover. The available footage was relatively short so they had to make sure what they wrote for her fit within that time.

In the end they were much happier with the ending that surprisingly came together last minute.
It was a good call.
Whoa! Did not know this! The image of the road trailing off into darkness like the uncertainty of fate always stuck with me. Good shit.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017

My main issue with the SE, is showing Hadley's Hope before the marines get there really undermines the tension. I definitely encourage anyone who hasn't seen the movie to start with the theatrical release for that reason alone.

The sentry turret scene is fantastic though. No question. That should have stayed in.
I agree on it's better not having see Hadley's hope before hand. I've seen the movie so many times I normally skip to the scene where the marines are waking up anyways though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

100% accurate. The Hadley's Hope scene literally ruins the movie. Not only is it terrible and deserved to be cut, it should never have been restored as now people watching for the first time might accidentally see it. Some scenes deserve to be cut and should remain cut.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this from?

I finally found it. Theres a blurb about it on the Terminator Wiki
  • According to James Cameron, Skynet suffered from guilt for causing the near-extinction of the human race in its act of self-defense, and has manipulated the entire Future War, down to the creation of the Resistance and John Connor's rise, as a means to erase its own existence.[5]

Its referenced in a book called Terminator Vault: The Complete Story Behind the Making of The Terminator and The Terminator 2: Judgement Day. On page 19 specifically.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finally found it. Theres a blurb about it on the Terminator Wiki

Its referenced in a book called Terminator Vault: The Complete Story Behind the Making of The Terminator and The Terminator 2: Judgement Day. On page 19 specifically.

Huh. I actually own this book. And this is indeed on page 19:

I7mBXTh.jpg

I'll be damned. Glad that has never featured in the films 'cause I really don't care for the idea.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I recall correctly, the "alternate" ending was the original and only changed after the movie was shown to test audiences. The final ending was added entirely in post production using edited/recycled footage.

Execution aside, I treat at least the general idea of that ending as canon -- no Judgement Day, no Skynet.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The theatrical ending is so much better than this shit.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Huh. I actually own this book. And this is indeed on page 19:

I7mBXTh.jpg

I'll be damned. Glad that has never featured in the films 'cause I really don't care for the idea.

Awesome, thanks for the photo. Skynet feeling guilty is pretty lame, but I love the idea of Skynet manipulating the war and "allowing" the events of the first two movie to happen.

If Genesys wasn't so shit, we might have had an interesting take on that premise :/