Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a major moment but not HIS major moment I would argue. You know?

The character development is more important to me than accomplishments or feats... its unfortunate that Hulk and Banner finally reaching the balance they had struggled with for so long happened off-screen.

I'm strictly talking about Endgame. That was his big moment in the movie, it was all him, with him literally being the only Avenger on hand that could reliably use the stones without dying.

Regarding him finding that particular balance, I didn't have an issue with it being off-screened, because I didn't really feel that the movies, namely IW, was building up to that? Like I guess for comic readers they expected/hoped for that particular endpoint to be reached, but I thought he was already just fine with freely transforming into the Hulk when needed. So suddenly seeing him as Professor Hulk, I didn't feel robbed there, was a pleasant surprise more than anything that made sense considering the 5 year gap.

Honestly, dude really needed his own movie, cuz that's the right time IMO to go full in-depth on him becoming Professor Hulk, not in the middle of the events IW/EG.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They need to stop fucking around and make it so the Hulk loses his jorts when he hulks out and does all his smashing in the nude.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
he also had to hold up an entire fucking building complex the size of a city block in order to save the lives of friends.

Oct 28, 2017
California
What I'm most baffled by is:

Bruce being unable to get Hulk going continuously in Infinity War is clearly a setup for an eventual payoff akin to the hyperdrive failing to work in The Empire Strikes Back and then finally, at the most crucial moment it kicks into gear and saves the day.

Like after the work they put into this setup in Infinity War, this should write itself. In Endgame, he needed to still be struggling to get it out and then at a crucial moment, he achieves some kind of self-actualisation, completes his arc, and finally turns Hulk.

Instead, this arc takes place off-screen, in the 5 years we skip over. What the hell was the point of setting all this up in Infinity War only to entirely drop the subplot in the sequel?

I was wondering about that too. I wanted to see what would happen and how it was going to play out in Endgame
but nope, problem solved immediately

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Thor was always a tier above Hulk, except any time Thor just tried to go pure muscle

I'm somewhat aware of their history in the comics but I'm only referring to the MCU. He should be the strongest and most durable member of the team. That should the the purpose he serves, basically he's the tank. Thor can be stronger because of his additional powers but I don't like the fact that he can defeat Hulk with his just his speed, strength, and skill.

And now that has extended to Captain Marvel to now. So what if she can fly and blast lasers. The last movie pretty much says that she can beat Hulk in a fist fight without using any of her other powers. His selling point was that he was a unstoppable force of nature, now it's just the fact that he's bigger than everyone else(except Ant Man when he grows).

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Everything you described already happened in the first Avengers though?

No it didn't? In the original Avengers, he was wrestling with keeping the monster under control. He doesn't trust himself. In IW, he's struggling with trauma and is unable to even get Hulk going. It's almost the opposite problem. Having the solution reveal itself at a crucial time isn't a retread: it's just good writing.

And it doesn't have to actuate in the same way either. Maybe he learns to bring him out not to fight, but to do the all-important snap. Realises Hulk doesn't have to only be a force for violence but a source of healing. And that's a seamless transition into being the intelligent, articulate Hulk we see in Endgame. He's now more than just a brute and they're working in harmony.

But it's gotta be something. I didn't write the setup in IW. They've clearly established a problem that's promptly dropped for the sequel. There's got to be something, some kind of payoff there. Or it shouldn't have been in IW at all.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
He had the best moments in Avengers:

DopeyTautCoqui-size_restricted.gif

ExhaustedSmoothJavalina-size_restricted.gif

He's been comic relief since.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Does this result in compelling stories? Are they just creating new villains that can stand up to this Hulk and making it work?
I mean, yeah? The latest Hulk story is more akin to a horror story. I can't really elaborate without spoiling certain aspects, but it's really good.

Planet Hulk was the turning point where Hulk started getting more showcase, with the increasing powers. In World War Hulk, he fought the Sentry, and that's definitely someone who was powerful enough to stand up to him.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
He's definitely wack af in MCU and
his major moment in endgame happens offscreen, between two movies

Hulk is MVP material after Endgame.

Like we really needed a Prof Hulk scene.

He wore the Gauntlet, snapped, and survived.

Dumb brute Hulk would probably destroy it and fuck the universe twice over. I did expect a different more predictable kind of payoff but I like what we got instead.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I mean, yeah? The latest Hulk story is more akin to a horror story. I can't really elaborate without spoiling certain aspects, but it's really good.

Planet Hulk was the turning point where Hulk started getting more showcase, with the increasing powers. In World War Hulk, he fought the Sentry, and that's definitely someone who was powerful enough to stand up to him.

Speaking of WWH, have they ever had Ghost Rider actually follow through and fight him, all out? My favorite bit in WWH was when GR shows up and Dr Strange freaks out, but then GR judges Hulk is justified, and rides off. I always wanted that fight.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
While we're on the subject of jobbing: Drax.

DRAX.

Admittedly I don't know much about Guardians of the Galaxy, but isn't Drax basically just a pissed off dude?

I mean, granted, Hulk is also "just" a "pissed off" "dude", but he's sort of the absurdly overwrought apex of those character traits, whereas Drax seems like he's somewhere between Old Man Logan and Frank Castle on the scale of "dudes who are very pissed off".

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm somewhat aware of their history in the comics but I'm only referring to the MCU. He should be the strongest and most durable member of the team. That should the the purpose he serves, basically he's the tank. Thor can be stronger because of his additional powers but I don't like the fact that he can defeat Hulk with his just his speed, strength, and skill.

And now that has extended to Captain Marvel to now. So what if she can fly and blast lasers. The last movie pretty much says that she can beat Hulk in a fist fight without using any of her other powers. His selling point was that he was a unstoppable force of nature, now it's just the fact that he's bigger than everyone else(except Ant Man when he grows).

You've missed the point completely. The character has grown.
He isn't interested in punching and smashing to solve problems anymore. He is still incredibly powerful, as evidenced by him surviving after using the infinity stones but he is also the emotional heart of the team now.

Do you guys just not want any character development? It's pretty sad to reduce these characters to power levels after all we've seen.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
thats something major he does, but its not like he's been trying to do it every minute he showed up on screen, like he has been trying to conquer the hulk persona

Him literally mastering his Hulk side led up to that moment. Not a lot of characters have as much scene stealing moments as Hulk in Avengers and Thor Ragnarok.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Age of Ultron, he has a big fight with the Hulkbuster armor and loses.
giphy.gif

In Thor Ragnarok, he gets beaten by Thor. The Grandmaster had to incapacitate Thor because Hulk was about to lose.
DownrightRespectfulAphid-size_restricted.gif

In his fight with Fenrir, he gets his ass knocked around the entire fight and still doesn't win. He only gets by pure luck because Fenrir fell off the cliff while Hulk managed to grab a piece of rock.

In the beginning of Infinity War, he gets combo'd by Thanos and is KO the rest of the film.

Hulk hasn't had a single win since he tossed Loki around like a rag doll in The Avengers. It really sucks because he was a force to be reckoned with in The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers.

Even in the Avengers, Thor was the one left standing when things were most dire and he took a knife to the gut prior. The hulk was contained, full stop.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could say he was even a jobber in End Game.
Astral punched by the ancient one

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Speaking of WWH, have they ever had Ghost Rider actually follow through and fight him, all out? My favorite bit in WWH was when GR shows up and Dr Strange freaks out, but then GR judges Hulk is justified, and rides off. I always wanted that fight.
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. But yeah, that would be an awesome fight.

Ghost Rider, Hulk and Silver Surfer are my three favorite Marvel characters, so I'm always down to seeing more of them.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I agree...after this long I want to see Hulk....Hulk out....go fucking bonkers show that he just gets stronger and stronger he's the incredible hulk, not the Can't someone else do it ? Hulk.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree...after this long I want to see Hulk....Hulk out....go fucking bonkers show that he just gets stronger and stronger he's the incredible hulk, not the Can't someone else do it ? Hulk.

It just doesn't really seem like it would accomplish anything in the narrative. Hulk's only solution to things is smashing. Smashing wasn't going to save the universe.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
His fight with Abomination was fucking awesome. NortonHulk was amazing. Hulk felt nerfed regardless in MCU. But given taking inspiration from Ultimate universe, everyone seemed nerf.

I was not a fan of Professor Hulk at all. Him not switching to savage Hulk persona during final battle was such a waste.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest win that Hulk could have
I'm strictly talking about Endgame. That was his big moment in the movie, it was all him, with him literally being the only Avenger on hand that could reliably use the stones without dying.

Regarding him finding that particular balance, I didn't have an issue with it being off-screened, because I didn't really feel that the movies, namely IW, was building up to that? Like I guess for comic readers they expected/hoped for that particular endpoint to be reached, but I thought he was already just fine with freely transforming into the Hulk when needed. So suddenly seeing him as Professor Hulk, I didn't feel robbed there, was a pleasant surprise more than anything that made sense considering the 5 year gap.

Honestly, dude really needed his own movie, cuz that's the right time IMO to go full in-depth on him becoming Professor Hulk, not in the middle of the events IW/EG.

The Hulk plotline setup in Infinity War is one of conflict between Banner and Hulk. Banner needs Hulk's help and Hulk refuses. This is such fertile ground, the plot almost writes itself. Yet they opted to do it offscreen... we were left hanging with that plot thread and the conflict was resolved without us getting to see how. Hulk getting to snap, while cool, is not closure for the seeds planted in Infinity War.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The worst was tony beating him in AoU. And no, hulk wasn't calming down...in fact he got pissed all over again because he saw some policemen/militia with guns...and tony just clocks him. Next thing we know he's shriveled up in banner form

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. But yeah, that would be an awesome fight.

Ghost Rider, Hulk and Silver Surfer are my three favorite Marvel characters, so I'm always down to seeing more of them.

Ghost Rider is under-estimated and under-appreciated. This guy, back in the cartoons, single-handedly drove back Galactus by Penance Stare, which mentally blasts you with all the actions you regret.

All the big bads in the MU, Dr Doom, Galactus, Thanos, Magneto, they all have some part of them that regrets something they've done. Dr Doom I think may be the only one that could stand that Stare but he's basically broken in that respect, he can't allow himself to regret anything.

All the others, I think would break. Anyone remotely heroic (even part time like Hulk) I think would just collapse into a fetal position.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah the hulk aint so incredible in these movies. They clearly don't want much to do with him really.

Hell Betty Ross and General Ross are a total afterthought

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Ghost Rider is under-estimated and under-appreciated. This guy, back in the cartoons, single-handedly drove back Galactus by Penance Stare, which mentally blasts you with all the actions you regret.

All the big bads in the MU, Dr Doom, Galactus, Thanos, Magneto, they all have some part of them that regrets something they've done. Dr Doom I think may be the only one that could stand that Stare but he's basically broken in that respect, he can't allow himself to regret anything.

All the others, I think would break. Anyone remotely heroic (even part time like Hulk) I think would just collapse into a fetal position.
Well, with Hulk, there is the multiple personality aspect to him. That's actually a plot point with the latest Immortal Hulk arc. There are personalities that feel regret, there's also some that don't.

It's all variable. But I get what you're saying. Ghost Rider can't be physically destroyed IIRC, so I'm not even sure what Hulk can do to him. Then again, Hulk broke Dr. Strange's hands when he tried using magic against, so who knows, lol.

If writers want Hulk to do the impossible, they just write him to do it, logic be damned.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it's because he doesn't get his own films with bad guys to beat. Pretty damn annoying too. Hulk and Banner are interesting characters when you explore their relationship with one another.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
He isn't interested in punching and smashing to solve problems anymore. He is still incredibly powerful, as evidenced by him surviving after using the infinity stones but he is also the emotional heart of the team now.

Do you guys just not want any character development? It's pretty sad to reduce these characters to power levels after all we've seen.

Hulk is easily one of the best parts of Ultron as well. Banner also deserves credit for Hulkbuster barely beating Hulk since he helped Tony create it. Hulk is a major liability to the team due to the fact he's so volatile and unpredictable. That alone demands the Avengers respect. After getting his shit tossed by Thanos I can see why they explored that whole "I'm not just a senseless get out of jail free card whenever you need to smash shit" route.

Given Thor and Hulk's arcs in Endgame, I want them to take more chances like these.
Will totally agree that him not getting a single smack at Thanos in Endgame was odd as fuck though. He deserves that much and is still one of the more powerful Avengers. One arm or not he should've been in that fight.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017

Who said me or anyone doesn't? I like Hulk in EG, I just want him to be more powerful on top of that.

Speaking of jobbers, how about Spiderman? Yeah I get that he's still young and learning but this is going to be the 7th Spiderman film now. Can they speed up his development as a fighter just a little more? He was beaten by Cap in Civil War and Quill is able to get a hold of him and hold him at gun point in IW. As for his fight with Cap, I get it, despite his physical advantageous he was inexperienced and Cap is one of the greatest. I can accept that.

I thought he would see his development as a fighter in his own movie. But it was more about personal growth. He nearly loses to a regular guy with some tech(Shocker) and then gets handled very easily by Vulture. No comeback no nothing, he just survived and lucked out that Vulture damaged his own equipment so much that he couldn't escape.

I don't expect Marvel to push Spiderman to a leadership role or one of the front man of the MCU because the rights belong to Sony but I hope they really show some growth in his ability to deal with more powerful threats on his own.

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who said me or anyone doesn't? I like Hulk in EG, I just want him to be more powerful on top of that.

Speaking of jobbers, how about Spiderman? Yeah I get that he's still young and learning but this is going to be the 7th Spiderman film now. Can they speed up his development as a fighter just a little more? He was beaten by Cap in Civil War and Quill is able to get a hold of him and hold him at gun point. As for his fight with Cap, I get it, despite his physical advantageous he was inexperienced and Cap is one of the greatest. I can accept that.

I thought he would see his development as a fighter in his own movie. But it was more about personal growth. He nearly loses to a regular guy with some tech(Shocker) and then gets handled very easily by Vulture. No comeback no nothing, he just survived and lucked out that Vulture damaged his own equipment so much that he couldn't escape.

I don't expect Marvel to push Spiderman to a leadership role or one of the front man of the MCU because the rights belong to Sony but I hope they really show some growth in his ability to deal with more powerful threats on his own.
He's still early in the game. FFH should be the movie where we see him confident and in control. Part of Spider-Man's character is to watch him grow. He's only had one movie

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Reads "Hulk has been a jobber since the first Avengers"... Somehow dives into the thread not expecting spoilers from the latest movie featuring Hulk.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He suplexed the wolf off the edge of asgaard (I literally just watched it on Netflix 5min ago) and was awesome for all of ragnarok. Agree otherwise. I wished there was at least one crazy rage hulk moment in endgame but whatever.

And yeah he was basically a solution to crush everything in avengers 1. Couldn't just keep making him the closer instant win each time.
No, he uppercut her off Asgard. The suplex was earlier in the fight

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Hulk is easily one of the best parts of Ultron as well. Banner also deserves credit for Hulkbuster barely beating Hulk since he helped Tony create it. Hulk is a major liability to the team due to the fact he's so volatile and unpredictable. That alone demands the Avengers respect. After getting his shit tossed by Thanos I can see why they explored that whole "I'm not just a senseless get out of jail free card whenever you need to smash shit" route.

Given Thor and Hulk's arcs in Endgame, I want them to take more chances like these.
Will totally agree that him not getting a single smack at Thanos in Endgame was odd as fuck though. He deserves that much and is still one of the more powerful Avengers. One arm or not he should've been in that fight.

Endgame
Professor Hulk would have gotten murdered by Thanos in a fight. Regular Hulk got his ass beat, and he's much less violent or skilled in a fight then he is due to Banner being in the driver's seat.

Because it's boring and wouldn't work so well against villains in his weight class who know what they're doing. The others can add variety to their moves since they're not idiots.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So many people making and watching fan videos about Hulk beating Thanos have to wipe away harsh tears at the end of Endgame. They don't care about the characters of Banner vs the monster and just want to live vicariously through a bully for the good guys.

No fools, Hulk really got his ass beat and it has to be accepted.

I can watch this all day.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hulk has been relegated to jobber because Mark Ruffalo can't keep his fucking mouth shut lmao