• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Continuation of the anti-extradition bill protests and chaos in Hong Kong. This happened just a few hours ago after another massive rally against the Hong Kong Government.

Hundreds of masked assailants dressed in white have assaulted residents, protesters, journalists and a lawmaker in Yuen Long, hours after an anti-extradition law march ended.

The group used bamboo sticks and other weapons to attack people in the area and in the West Rail Line station, injuring Democratic Party lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting, who was seen bleeding from his mouth in a social media live stream.

Police officers were not visibly present when the skirmish occurred.

It's believed that the men wearing white shirts are triad members paid by the Chinese Community Party (CCP) to attack protesters. Police turned a blind eye and took more than 30 minutes to respond when they were located only 5 minutes away. They also shuttered their local police station when protesters showed up to ask them why they did not respond. The white shirts have been cornered into a village but police haven't gone in to apprehend anyone yet.

WARNING: The video contains some pretty awful scenes of protesters being attacked, so watch at your discretion.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This sort of thing happens all of the time in Mainland China.
Hong Kong is getting a taste of things to come, and it's depressing.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, what the fuck.

This is fucking terrifying.

It feels like Hong Kong will have to fight and sacrifice a lot to keep its freedom...

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This sort of thing happens all of the time in Mainland China.
Hong Kong is getting a taste of things to come, and it's depressing.

Yeah it's expected in mainland China. This is meant to be the gateway city where East meets West. But seeing law and order just crumble in front of your very own eyes, knowing the police and government are complicit and that nobody else can protect you is very depressing indeed.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Depressing update: innocent pregnant bystander who got caught up in the ensuing chaos lost her baby.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Fucking scum. On the plus side a lot of them seemed happy to have their faces plastered on the internet and Beijing can't just snap their fingers and make that evidence disappear.

Deleted member 20892

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not even subtle with their shit.

not even a little

Video shows a pair of patrolling police turned around and walked away just before the mayhem starts. 999 emergency line operators allegedly hung up on citizens who sought help. Riot police only arrived right after the armed thugs left.
not at all

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really terrible news.

I'm surprised topics like this arnt getting much attention here. Hong Kong doesn't have strict censorship laws like mainland China so news like this is insightful.

I worry about the future of these protests now.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is a different time we live in. If the gov't paying these hooligans think they can do this kind of shit and it will actually work they are mistaken. This will just make things much much worse for them.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Jesus...I wasn't sure how the government would respond to the planned protests but I certainly didn't expect this...

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So let me guess the plan. Police duck out for their whiteshirt buddies to come in. Eventually protestors will coordinate to fight back and not just let themselves get beaten. Police use this violence as a justifable excuse to arrest and kill protestors

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yea these protests will stop if they keep sending these goons in and no one stands up for the people. The people need to fight back, but I do not know how long they can keep this up.

Poor baby that passed. Rip

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
So let me guess the plan. Police duck out for their whiteshirt buddies to come in. Eventually protestors will coordinate to fight back and not just let themselves get beaten. Police use this violence as a justifable excuse to arrest and kill protestors
Yeah that does seem to be the plan. Hard to know what to do

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The only way this Hong Kong thing is going to end is control by the CCP. The whole movement primarily lead by teenagers and early twenties people is going to backfire on them because the end of the one country two systems is hastened along by years / decades due to the ever growing list of things they're protesting and the unrest they caused. They really should have just stopped when they got the extradition bill killed.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And economics will dictate that most other countries will ignore taking a stance on the issue.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
But we just dont understand the greatness that is the CCP /s God speed to anyone opposing this facist farce. I cant imagine watching this happen to your country and way of life.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
The only way this Hong Kong thing is going to end is control by the CCP. The whole movement primarily lead by teenagers and early twenties people is going to backfire on them because the end of the one country two systems is hastened along by years / decades due to the ever growing list of things they're protesting and the unrest they caused. They really should have just stopped when they got the extradition bill killed.
And pretend that the police did nothing wrong and no one from the government should be held responsible for this whole mess? The growing list of demands tell you exactly how many problems underlie the Hong Kong society. The assault in the OP is probably another one to add to the list. And if we don't do anything now, we probably can't do anything anymore when the 50 years promise passed. Mind you the bill is dead, but not permanently dead. Sounds ridiculous but that's some sort of word tricks that the government could pull in the future.

Just the past week a group of gray hairs marched to support the protesters

And from what I see during yesterday's march, yes many of them are younger in ages but also there are lots of people attending with their child, lots of people from different age groups, there even are a group of people marching in their wheelchairs. Let's not act like the teenagers are the only one that stayed vocal about this.

Oct 25, 2017
What's HKs endgame in all this? No way China leaves them be right? Because... HK is China, the land and people, so short of killing everyone the world ain't gonna do sweet FA about it.

Super sad though, I work with some people born there and now they feel unsafe to ever go back.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
PRC will invade Hong Kong in the next two years, they aren't going to wait until 2047. People have been starting to push for independence a lot and China won't allow that.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
PRC will invade Hong Kong in the next two years, they aren't going to wait until 2047. People have been starting to push for independence a lot and China won't allow that.
Their official line is that the treaty stopped being relevant in 1997. They're going shit all over it and nobody will do anything.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Police have said that no arrests were made and no weapons were found when they checked a group of people in white accused of beating up residents, journalists and a lawmaker in Yuen Long. The incident took place on Sunday night, hours after an anti-extradition march ended on Hong Kong Island.

More than 30 people were injured when a group of assailants in white shirts, some masked, began attacking people at random using bamboo sticks and other weapons.

They found a hoard of sticks and metal rods but said they could not be deemed as weapons. This makes me so angry.

I guess everyone knows what to bring to the next protest now.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Are the police and anti protesters from hong kong as well, or were they shipped in from the mainland?

Several of the cars which left the area with people in white shirts had crossborder double HK and China license plates. Some of them possibly from mainland. But mostly local I think.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just wonder how long until China just starts rolling tanks into HK and declares martial law. This white shirt thing seems to be a test. And it's not like the world would do anything if they did.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly suspended local elections, barring the public from kicking those pro-Beijing MPs out of LegCo.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching this on FB broadcasted live yesterday. Probably one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen.

I mean, Protesters vs. Police violence is horrible as well, but it is what it is. This one basically had thugs beating on passing tourists and journalists, just WTF.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their official line is that the treaty stopped being relevant in 1997. They're going shit all over it and nobody will do anything.
China holds all the power, and knows the international community won't step in. So why hold to a treaty with no enforcement and no consequences to breaking it?

Fucking horrible.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, nice framing - due to the huge number of HK people who've attended these events (a significant amount of the population), we know that people of all ages are involved with the protests.

Secondly, good on you for telling the people the exact line they should draw in demanding some minor level of control over their political system. How dare those silly protestors demand that the Government completely remove the bill from the books and look into the violence carried out by the police against the protestors.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Secondly, good on you for telling the people the exact line they should draw in demanding some minor level of control over their political system. How dare those silly protestors demand that the Government completely remove the bill from the books and look into the violence carried out by the police against the protestors.

The only options that HK have are the status quo or a mainland system. I mean if they want to hasten their end of their current system and live under the mainland system they have that option. I don't think that's what they want and yet they are doing things to realize it.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Half the LegCo are chosen by the mainland so I don't think they need to suspend local elections when they're guaranteed a majority.

If Pan-Democrats can win all the other half then at least all pro-Beijing bills will be stalled. At the rate things are going, all the openly elected seats will go to Pan-Democrats. I'm quite sure Beijing doesn't want to lose face here.

The only options that HK have are the status quo or a mainland system. I mean if they want to hasten their end of their current system and live under the mainland system they have that option. I don't think that's what they want and yet they are doing things to realize it.

Hong Kongers have always been fighting to keep the status quo. It's the Hong Kong Government and thus Beijing who keep eroding the status quo. It's either sit silently and get swallowed up before the agreed 2047, or fight against the oppression and get swallowed. Most people would rather at least have fought the battle, than not ever doing anything.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hong Kongers have always been fighting to keep the status quo. It's the Hong Kong Government and thus Beijing who keep eroding the status quo.

It's the choice between status quo erosion until 2047 or full on mainland control. There are no big victories to be made here. The protest leaders should have just stopped at tabling the extradition bill. Even matyrdon isn't an option when China comes in because the people will be sent to re-education camps in mainland.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

yes, China is that determined

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
It's the choice between status quo erosion until 2047 or full on mainland control. There are no big victories to be made here. The protest leaders should have just stopped at tabling the extradition bill. Even matyrdon isn't an option when China comes in because the people will be sent to re-education camps in mainland.
There are no 'protest leaders'. Google 'leaderless hong kong protest' if you want to read up on that.

OP
OP
Kaseoki

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

That wasn't part of the 1997 Handover Agreement and Hong Kong is meant to be separate from all mainland affairs. Of course we know that isn't the reality and Beijing would never ever let Hong Kong do it's own thing ever even under the One Country Two Systems banner. That doesn't that people won't stand up for the injustice and brokenness of all these encroachments from China. Hong Kong people grew up in a law abiding society. There is no law and order at all in Hong Kong now. The Hong Kong Government will pick and choose whatever they like and the citizens won't stand for it.

I don't think results matters at this point because what's the point when 2047 comes? The people of Hong Kong are going to kick and scream regardless and Beijing are only making them kick and scream harder and louder. They're gonna make the loudest scene possible and show the world what Beijing is possible of, to serve as a warning to Taiwan and anyone who wants to shake hands with the fascists.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Sad to read this, Hong Kong is an amazing city, I'll be spending a few days there later this year.
One thing I'm quite ignorant about is who the Pro-China people are, are they all immigrants from mainland China or are there Hong Kongers who prefer less democracy and more state control?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't think results matters at this point because what's the point when 2047 comes? The people of Hong Kong are going to kick and scream regardless and Beijing are only making them kick and scream harder and louder. They're gonna make the loudest scene possible and show the world what Beijing is possible of, to serve as a warning to Taiwan and anyone who wants to shake hands with the fascists.

No one outside of Taiwan will care except for maybe some sanctions from UK for breaking the treaty. Hk will lose it's trade statuses it has due its political status, but that's something that hardily affects China. Taiwan is already lost to China since the 1950s.

No one is going to care that an unique Chinese city is turned into the standard Chinese city.