• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Wish it wasn't a team fighter, but damn I'm happy it's not an arena game, lmao.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
This game budget very well might be under a million dollars, it won't get better.
Yeah. Around $650,000 before the price of the Yen against the dollar started dropping:

automaton-media.com

Bushiroad’s first console game criticized for quality issues and low budget - AUTOMATON WEST

Bushiroad released their new Nintendo Switch title Rear Sekai on October 12, but it’s had a rocky start, with the story and gameplay receiving negative criticism. The game’s $650,000~ range development budget also seems to be adding fuel to the fire.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Hm. Its EXTREMELY low budget so I'm sure it'll get its budget back...

...But this just shows me UMvC3 just needs a 4K120 patch and higher res textures and fixed faces (and rollback!) and it'll easily hang around for another generation.

Jul 22, 2022
IDK how big west HxH audience is but I hope they support the game. This would be so sick with a proper budget or a revamped AAA season 2.
I like what I see though. probably day 1 just to play with my gf (massive HxH fan)

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
IDK how big west HxH audience is but I hope they support the game. This would be so sick with a proper budget or a revamped AAA season 2.
I like what I see though. probably day 1 just to play with my gf (massive HxH fan)
It's not a perfect metric at all, but just to give an idea of the jump: the subreddit had around 60k followers back in late 2018. Now it has 1.3 million.

Oct 28, 2017
It looks fine, obviously it's not a crazy big budget project like Dragon Ball FighterZ but nobody was expecting it to be. For Hunter x Hunter, this is probably the best the series could ever get on the videogame front especially with Eighting as the developer.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
They could have done One Piece instead, same budget, but the OP license would have made it sell more imo.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, it's so exciting that Eighting gets to make another team fighter with a license as dope as HxH.

On the other, it really bums me out that Bushiroad was the one to get the license over some other publisher that would have thrown more money behind it.

But I'm guessing without the second we wouldn't get the first. Sucks.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
On one hand, it's so exciting that Eighting gets to make another team fighter with a license as dope as HxH.

On the other, it really bums me out that Bushiroad was the one to get the license over some other publisher that would have thrown more money behind it.

But I'm guessing without the second we wouldn't get the first. Sucks.
No publisher would've thrown money behind this, hunterxhunter is basically dead, anime's been over for a decade, manga gets a chapter every couple of years. The fact it has a game at all is astounding.

Jujutsu kaisen is at the top of anime popularity and its in its prime, it still got a budget ass looking game.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
No publisher would've thrown money behind this, hunterxhunter is basically dead, anime's been over for a decade, manga gets a chapter every couple of years. The fact it has a game at all is astounding.

Jujutsu kaisen is at the top of anime popularity and its in its prime, it still got a budget ass looking game.
Almost like it getting a game is one of the many things that show it's not "dead" lol. But I guess the "basically" is doing the heavy lifting there.

Oct 25, 2017
HxH doesn't operate on the normal rules of a regular manga. I still hold the torch that it'll come back one day. the last run was super interesting.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Almost like it getting a game is one of the many things that show it's not "dead" lol. But I guess the "basically" is doing the heavy lifting there.
Yeah a budget game like this proves the IP is thriving. Hunter x hunter isn't dragonball or Naruto or one piece.

I'm glad this exists but hunter x hunter isn't getting the fighterz treatment.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah a budget game like this proves the IP is thriving. Hunter x hunter isn't dragonball or Naruto or one piece.

I'm glad this exists but hunter x hunter isn't getting the fighterz treatment.
I see you've already moved the goalposts. That's all I need to know.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think popularity has anything to do with it.

It used to be really common for popular anime to get low budget fighting games. For example; Fairy Tail has multiple DS/PSP games, there's the Bleach heat the soul series, Sunday VS Magazine and 2 Kenshin psp games. The Demon Slayer or My hero games aren't exactly high budget either

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think popularity has anything to do with it.

It used to be really common for popular anime to get low budget fighting games. For example; Fairy Tail has multiple DS/PSP games, there's the Bleach heat the soul series, Sunday VS Magazine and 2 Kenshin psp games. The Demon Slayer or My hero games aren't exactly high budget either
Demon slayer actually looks fairly good. Good campaign and nice cut scenes, multiplayer with dlc. I'd definitely mark it above the my hero or OPM games. I'm just saying, if this was 2013 when the anime was out and the movies were in theaters it'd be a bigger game.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
JJK is mad popular and that game was awful from what I understand

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks like those anime licenced psp games that never got released in the West.
Yeah, looks an feels exactly like Fate Unlimited Codes on PSP, which also was made by Eighting. But personally, it was one of the most fun fighting game on PSP, I spent tens of hours on it (mained Lancer). Would totally be ok if this is half as good as that.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017

Someone asked me to copy this to here since they don't have twitter, so here you go. Heads up that GREATFERNMAN uses numpad notation occasionally, so "number+button" the number denoting a direction:
n1RJ8Y2.png

So "6+Arts" would mean forward and Arts button.
@GREATFERNMAN said:
2D 3v3 team game Special moves do not have motion inputs and are done with a direction and the Arts button. Supers (Aura Arts) are done by pressing a direction and Nen Impact + Arts The game has auto combos when you press the Rush button and Light, Medium or Heavy

Nenpact (Nen Impact) is a universal mechanic. Standing N armors highs and mids from frame 1, but loses to lows Crouching N armors highs and mids later in its animation but it is useful as an anti air, and leads to an air combo on hit. The air combos must be manually done

Gon A character with high damage single hits He has a Jajanken stance which has a variety of followups L: rock M: scissors H: paper hitting two buttons at once also does other followups, such as an antiair move Both ground and air jajanken have armor he can dash cancel the stance
cmav7nc.png

His followups get stronger if you time them correctly out of the stance He has short normals, but has a long reaching fishing rod move (air and ground), and a projectile in jajanken: paper He has a super that guard crushes and leads to a combo if you use Unison Arts or Overgear

Killua The fastest character among the ones playable at the test He seems to have moves that control the opponent and a variety of options in neutral He has an air special, Narukami, that calls a lightning bolt in front of him It can be dash canceled on hit or block
V7XbU3O.png

One of his supers. Oonarukami, that hits the opponent with a lightning bolt no matter where they are on the screen Another super, Kanmuru, gives hitboxes on his dashes, increases his speed, and allows him to chain dashes

Leorio A character that specializes in long ranged attacks Other than 6+Arts, every special move he has tracks the opponent on and after the 2nd hit with punches from the ground at various angles
V80Z7yb.png

He has an air special where he drops down and punches the ground, then throws a projectile punch from below the opponent He has a super which also tracks the opponent with multiple projectile punshes His 3 assists all seem easy to use

Kurapika A character with long reaching chain moves who can permanently buff himself 5+Arts is Dousing Chain. He swings his chain horizontally. The move has long reach, and is a great poke. On hit, it wall bounces for a combo
5zgOG4T.png

He swings his chain upwards during Jumping Nenpact for a 2 hitting move 4+Arts is Holy Chain, a move that heals Kurapika's recoverable health His lvl 2 super, Emperor Time, increases his damage and defense

In this mode, his health turns to recoverable health over time, which appears to be a weakness, but it actually allows him to use that recoverable health for Quick Gear constantly

Hisoka A character who possesses both a slew of projectiles and multiple grounded and aerial advancing moves 6+Arts is Love Letter: Hisoka throws cards as projectiles. 2+Arts is an anti air version of the move. Holding the button throws more cards He also has an air version
pSENYuV.png

when certain moves hit, he attaches his aura to the opponent, which allows him to use Bungee Gum to pull them in towards him, or to pull himself towards the opponent This allows him to combo off Love Letter He has an easy to use super where he throws a lot of cards

Netero A karate character with multiple options 6+Arts is a move that hits with air pressure, and seems useful as a poke. It wall bounces on hit He has a stance with L, M & H followups M is an overhead, while H slips through the opponent and crosses them up
2gX11gk.png

Pressing and holding Arts allows him to use Hyakushiki Kannon: Ichi no Te, a more than half screen attack You have to hold the button for awhile, and can't use other specials while doing so He has a super, Tsukumo no Te, where he retreats, then hits almost the entire screen

Overgear is a move you do once per match When Overgear is activated, your character's damage and speed increase The amount they're increased by depends on how many characters are left on your team It can be activated in neutral, during an attack, or during blockstun
iyKqBsT.png

Quickgear allows you to use your recoverable health to power yourself up for a certain period of time This can be used during moves (other than supers) The duration of the power up depends on the amount of health spent
Byo0BIj.png

Like Overgear, this increases your characters damage and speed Unlike Overgear, the activation speed is very short, allowing you to cancel your moves and dash in for offense

An example of Overgear and Quickgear being used at the same time This is the amount of damage a Break Hit (throw) does when both are activated
dD5D6l3.png

Every character has 3 assists With Unison Arts, characters can do supers at the same time, and with Switch Arts, a character can do a super after the point character's super

Bounce Guard is a pushblock done by pressing multiple buttons at once. So even though the game has many high low options and assists, the defensive player has an option to mitigate it
AZJrUhm.png

Ground and air Break Hit, the game's throw, leads to a combo in the corner
2xlqP6r.png

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
I'm not gonna sit here and try to act cool by saying gameplay > visuals.... This looks bad and the gameplay is stiff. I played doujin fighters back in the 2000's that moved and looked better than this.

It looks like a straight to DVD TvC.

I'll buy it day one just to support Eighting, but probably won't be serious about playing this... if I even boot it up.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
it's kind of weird how nasty slow the game looks for a game that is born out of the mishmashing of tvc and mvc mechanics and stuff

like, if you use the youtube thing to speed up the footage by 25% it looks more "right" (though obviously a lil on the fast side), which is Jacked

from the sounds of it there's no wavedashing or chain dashing either? just, really strange to grab all of these vs. series things and miss the key components of pacing, speed and movement

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
The anime was successful, every new manga volume despite long hiatuses inbetween sells a million+.

Game deserves a bigger budget.