• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of course interested, even if the genre doesn't excite me as much as FTL's did. I'll probably fall for it hard once I play it though.

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few games I'm really looking forward to. I love FTL and I really love Ben Prunty's music - followed his work closely after FTL came out. So glad he's teaming up with Subset Games again. Here's the soundtrack on Bandcamp: https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-breach-soundtrack
The few tracks you can listen to are fantastic.

If you want to buy the game, here is where you can do it on Tuesday:
https://www.gog.com/game/into_the_breach
http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/Into_the_Breach/
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/into-the-breach

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Looks great, I wish they would just say where else they plan on bringing it. PC is my least preferred platform so I often wait so long for the news I forget the game exists when other versions of indie games come out or get announced way later.

Feb 16, 2018
a new subset game? sounds exciting

FTL is one of the few strategy games in recent times where i didn't have to actively question how anyone thought it was ready for release.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried that I'm too excited. I'm feeling a hype level appropriate for a mesh of Advance Wars + FTL, even though I know it's not really that.

I'm hoping it's a lot less deterministic than something like Fidel Dungeon Rescue.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, was about to write I saw Jason Schreier posting about it and that sounded great. Seems it's not announced for consoles (yet), then I would definitely bite, as I love Advance Wars AND Faster than Light AND Xcom.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
The look really reminds me of Populous, but I've probably missed a lot of interim isometric games.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
"That game everybody won't be shutting up about."
Advance Kaiju Wars

We'll workshop the title.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
PC Gamer's recent article works as a good overview and highlights what makes the game's strategy interesting

https://www.pcgamer.com/watch-us-pl...versive-strategy-game-from-the-makers-of-ftl/
Into the Breach might look like a 16-bit turn-based strategy game from the Game Boy Advance era, but beneath that cute exterior is one of the most innovative strategy games I've played. Unlike FTL, the first game from developers Subset Games, Into the Breach is all about deterministic strategy. Not only will attacks always hit their intended target, but you can even see and respond to enemy attacks before they happen.

That doesn't sound like the formula for a rich strategy game, but Into the Breach uses that conceit to do some brilliant things. Each battle is a tense stand-off to survive a certain number of turns while swarms of insectoid Vek storm the field. Outnumbered and outgunned, your best approach is to mitigate incoming enemy attacks rather than fight fire with fire.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can only speak for myself, but unlike FTL there is no Mac version at launch, so no interest from me. But beyond that, I don't know how hard this game will be but I found FTL a bit too arbitrarily hard for my enjoyment of it and honestly wish it was a slightly less roguey game than it was. Also I don't find the retro sprites that appealing.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I think that works better without the FTL: but it's quite good. I'm having trouble brainstorming decent ones.

I did it that way to reference how their first game's title had the same format of showing and then also spelling out the acronym. But I guess you could go either way.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but unlike FTL there is no Mac version at launch, so no interest from me. But beyond that, I don't know how hard this game will be but I found FTL a bit too arbitrarily hard for my enjoyment of it and honestly wish it was a slightly less roguey game than it was. Also I don't find the retro sprites that appealing.

It's almost a certainty that Into the Breach is going to get a Mac port in the near future (among other platforms), but this would be the sort of game that would make me install Boot Camp if I didn't have it already. And if it makes you feel better, Into the Breach removes all the percentage dice rolls of FTL's combat and dialogues. I can't say whether certain equipment will feel like a must-have that you have to luck out to get, in the same way that teleporters did for the first game, but one of their stated design goals was to make you feel like every loss would be due to your mistakes rather than a bad roll.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost a certainty that Into the Breach is going to get a Mac port in the near future (among other platforms), but this would be the sort of game that would make me install Boot Camp if I didn't have it already. And if it makes you feel better, Into the Breach removes all the percentage dice rolls of FTL's combat and dialogues. I can't say whether certain equipment will feel like a must-have that you have to luck out to get, in the same way that teleporters did for the first game, but one of their stated design goals was to make you feel like every loss would be due to your mistakes rather than a bad roll.

Those are both things I'm glad to hear, so I'll keep an eye out. Though I was told that about Divinity:OS2 and I'm still waiting on that port to be announced. :/ So I won't hold my breath. I assume FTL was built with Unity? Wonder why they went Windows-only this time.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still workshopping my own title, what about:

Into the Breach |OT| FTL 2: Fighting Tactical Leviathans

Adding a 2 lets us keep it as a nod to Subset Games' first title format and lets people who aren't familiar with the game know what its lineage is.

Those are both things I'm glad to hear, so I'll keep an eye out. Though I was told that about Divinity:OS2 and I'm still waiting on that port to be announced. :/ So I won't hold my breath. I assume FTL was built with Unity? Wonder why they went Windows-only this time.

I can't find the interview right now, but I remember Justin Ma saying it was coded in a proper language like C++, and the reason they're going one platform at a time is because with FTL, they found the support work of multiple OSes at launch too stressful for a 2-person studio.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
I also only beat FTL 20 times.
:eyes:

Yeah I played that game quite a bit. Can't wait for Into the Breach Better Backgrounds and whatnots :]

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like FTL I'm rebuying on every platform available.
Kindle Paperwhite port!

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Game by the makers of FTL + impressions got me hyped something good. Got a lot on my plate right now videogames-wise so I'll wait a bit before getting it but I'll buy it for sure.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I've played the early version and I... I had around 40 hours in alpha. This is already my favourite game of the year next to MHW. It's totally different from FTL, but at the same time it has the same level of replayability and addictive gameplay.

I expect lots of 9s and even 10/10s.