Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Given how Ganon and his entire army have been defeated by even child Link in the past I'm surprised how invested people are in characters that couldn't even deal with a Dungeon Boss being displayed as faithfully as possible.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
how can your boy enjoy this when it is not even a true prequel to botw, smh.

gamer cred revoked
What the hell is your problem? Does people being disappointed that this might not be what they said it was feel like a personal attack on you? Nobody is telling anyone they can't be excited for the game, stop being such a dick towards people that are disappointed as to what the game seems like it might be.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First, with photo i meant the cutscene on chapter 2, where there is the calamity, the foto that Purah extracted from the guardian.

And im not talking about links memories. Those: okay. Unreliable. But that we dont get a hint by impa and the others, that a GUARDINA came back THROGH TIME. They mention the stuff 10k years before...but not the literal time travler that tried to warn them after they already expected ganon?
Where did pura come pretty close?
You dont think they would be all over this "timetravel" tech that they know exists, and try to change time?
Shure, there could be a convoluted reason why they dont...but that actually makes it even worse, since then its a nonsnesicaly convoluted story, where the original semed so straight forward.
When you first meet Purah she talks about how Link has the bomb, cryonis, magnesis, and stasis runes on his sheikah slate which she says they only discovered later, however I believe it can be charitably read as "we didn't discover they could be used on the Sheikah Slate until after the calamity".

The time travel stuff is simple, they could direct the mini guardian but couldn't control it. Maybe the time travel mechanism could only bring the mini guardian through it so it's usefulness is super limited. Maybe it could only time travel once and then ran out of power. There are tons of simple ways they could solve that.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Jesus the performance and resolution of this game just goes to show how badly a switch pro is needed. Think I'll just stick with the original if I want some musou action on switch

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's Zelda. The series has been heavily exploring time-travel and alternate timelines since the 90s, to the extent that BotW was actually unique among the core 3D games by not dealing with time-manipulation or being directly tied to the time travel in OoT. I'll be a disappointed if the time travel goes off in some bizarre direction for this game, but time travel itself shouldn't be a major dealbreaker in a Zelda game.

Anyway, I'm impressed so far by what I've played. The music is fantastic, a lot of the jankiness from the original HW has been smoothed over by the BotW makeover, and it looks like it'll be absolutely loaded with content. Plus, regardless of time travel, it's really fun to explore the backstory and world of BotW.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Is the performance as bad as I'm reading? I'm hearing mixed things - some say it runs buttery smooth, some say it is stuttering like crazy. Hrm...

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't the games in this franchise often feature alternate histories, letting you play through What Ifs and Bad Ends? Maybe the time-travel-free, untouched Bad End version of the Calamity is just a side scenario, and they made the odd decision of making the time travel version the main story, so they could have fun with introducing characters from the future?

I dunno, just spitballing while the demo is downloading. About to find out for myself!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's Zelda. The series has been heavily exploring time-travel and alternate timelines since the 90s, to the extent that BotW was actually unique among the core 3D games by not dealing with time-manipulation or being directly tied to the time travel in OoT. I'll be a disappointed if the time travel goes off in some bizarre direction for this game, but time travel itself shouldn't be a major dealbreaker in a Zelda game.

Anyway, I'm impressed so far by what I've played. The music is fantastic, a lot of the jankiness from the original HW has been smoothed over by the BotW makeover, and it looks like it'll be absolutely loaded with content. Plus, regardless of time travel, it's really fun to explore the backstory and world of BotW.
Again, it's not just the fact that there is time travel that people are worried, there are multiple things stacking up.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of this game is satisfying action gameplay + RPG character progression, set in a world I love with characters I enjoy, all depicted with BotW's impeccable art, sound and atmosphere. This is great.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
To me, the main draw of this game was seeing the events of the calamity as they happened 100 years ago. If the game goes down some weird time-travel/alternate reality route then I'm out. Playing as Impa was pretty cool though :3

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Is the performance as bad as I'm reading? I'm hearing mixed things - some say it runs buttery smooth, some say it is stuttering like crazy. Hrm...
It's not running smooth by any means. But I don't mind and actually already expected it. I think it's better to try the demo and see for yourself, because people really have different levels of tolerance. For example, the stuttering in Link's Awakening bothers me way more than the framerate in HW AoC, and I don't know why lol

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how to play as Impa. I also started on Very Hard cause that's how I roll.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm not even worked up over it, I'm worried abd disappointed that it seems to be going that way. What I'm worked up about is people making fun of people for wanting the game to be a prequel.
Lol get used to it.

As an FF7/Star Wars/etc fan I've gotten used to the "subversion" and/or "just enjoy it" replies.

I wanted a remake of FF7 and I didn't get it. It happens.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to play as Impa. I also started on Very Hard cause that's how I roll.
Press RT to set a seal on an enemy, then any finisher to pop the seal and gain shadow clones up to 3x. The fastest way to do this is rt, x, x.

RT, X, X, until 3 seals, Y string with dash cancels until full super, use super, rinse repeat

Is the basic effective way to play her, though you can go a bit more crazy and have fun with it :)

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm not even worked up over it, I'm worried abd disappointed that it seems to be going that way. What I'm worked up about is people making fun of people for wanting the game to be a prequel.

It IS a prequel. That's literally the selling point of the game. If there are time travel shenanigans, that's PART of the story we just weren't privy to before. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

Making a fuss about how story MIGHT go honestly comes off as somewhat ridiculous at this point of time IMO, especially since we know nothing about how the rest of HW:AoC's story will play out. Unlike FF7, the concept of time travel isn't new in the Zelda series and the possibility of the You Already Changed the Past and Stable Time Loop tropes that are extremely common in time travel stories coming into play here can't be ruled out.

Going off of one cutscene in a demo for a game not even released yet is just making a mountain out of a mole hill at this stage.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
cutscenes are 60 then you get into gameplay and it struggles to hit 30 with a lot of stutter which threw me off completely. If you try turn the camera when there's a lot of enemies on screen well good luck as it jumps from one position to another. it sure is something all right..

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Me: comes in here happy after trying the demo and loving it

resetera thread: disappointment over time travel D:

I totally get the reservations though lol, I hope the story won't swerve too much into something that doesn't match BotW but for now, I'm cautiously excited. It's good to be back in Hyrule!

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Then I guess there's no reason to be so upset and saying no one wants the game if it isn't exactly what you wanted, is there? Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I read your comments I understood that you felt entitled to have exactly what you want and that you think it's bullshit it is different.

So that's why some people think it's funny to see the frustration of some of the other members here. It just seems like too much of a reaction for a game, for something so small.

I think part of the problem with me in particular is that I'm not like the majority of people who post here in that I'm not an enthusiast and I barely care about video games anymore at all. Heck, the only reason why I made an account here was so that I could talk about BotW 2, lol. My default stance is to not buy any video games, period. I don't get "hyped." I don't pre-order. I don't make my decisions about whether or not to purchase something until it's already available. Except for BotW 2 and Xenoblade 2, the only video games I've purchased in the last 5 years have been re-releases of old games, and that's likely to stay that way forever. I've basically cut video games out of my life, and I'm quite happy with that.

So I'm not "upset" about what I'm hearing about AoC, nor am I any more or less likely to purchase the game now than I was 24 hours ago. As I said a few posts ago, Nintendo has to sell me on the game--I'm not going to buy it just because. I don't have to be convinced not to buy a game, or to cancel my pre-order. My default stance is to not buy. Nintendo has to do enough to change that no into a yes. I'm still intrigued about AoC, and I still want to know more. For example, as I said in an earlier post, simply getting a game with this Link and this Zelda interacting with each other in the present day and not solely in flashbacks pleases me. I also said that having the egg guardian intrude on that experience displeases me. So I'm still on the fence. I'm still not convinced I'm actually going to buy the game.

I did--and do--want AoC to be an actual prequel backstory to BotW, which is how Nintendo has been promoting it since it was first revealed. The question of the egg guardian makes me question whether or not that will be the case (which, by the way, I have been questioning since the beginning--I've always been suspicious of the egg). If it turns out that AoC is not a prequel backstory to BotW, but something else instead, then yes, I will be more than happy ignoring it and moving out with my life, as I have done with literally every other non-BotW-releated video game property in the last several years. For the last couple of hours, I have been articulating reasons why the egg guardian makes me suspicious. For the most part, my posts get responded to with emojis and laughing. This doesn't exactly incline me to want to continue the discussion. So I take exception to those who want to reduce a legitimate possible criticism that I--and others--have expressed to emojis and laughing. As I asked of Gustaf earlier, at least try to articulate a reason.

At any rate, this discussion is now past the point where it's beneficial to anyone, so this will be my final word on the matter.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Given how Ganon and his entire army have been defeated by even child Link in the past I'm surprised how invested people are in characters that couldn't even deal with a Dungeon Boss being displayed as faithfully as possible.
Non argument. They positioned BotW (and AoC) as more storyheavy games, with more importaint lore.
They TRY to do this stuff more, and be more relevant. They started the trend with Skyward Sword (smae time they releases hyrule hystoria).
Its one thing if you dont try. A big draw of BotW was the lore, the stories it told with enviromental clues and stuff.
Also: couldn't you put that criticism @ every franchise that started in simpler times and then got serious?

When you first meet Purah she talks about how Link has the bomb, cryonis, magnesis, and stasis runes on his sheikah slate which she says they only discovered later, however I believe it can be charitably read as "we didn't discover they could be used on the Sheikah Slate until after the calamity".

The time travel stuff is simple, they could direct the mini guardian but couldn't control it. Maybe the time travel mechanism could only bring the mini guardian through it so it's usefulness is super limited. Maybe it could only time travel once and then ran out of power. There are tons of simple ways they could solve that.
Thats the next point...there is so much stuff that CAN be explained away...with a lot of "if" and "maybe" and gymnastics... and shure, it will work somehow. But thats the point where my enjoyment in story stuff ends, and it starts to degrade my enjoyment. If i would want that, i would read comic books ... and like i said, for me the gameplay is just "okay", partially tedious, i had my fix with the first HW, and am not interested in more musou. So the story being forced into a specific shape makes it a no go for me. (This does not mean, others cant enjoy it! Just for me (and some) it kinda died with this developments)
Jesus the performance and resolution of this game just goes to show how badly a switch pro is needed. Think I'll just stick with the original if I want some musou action on switch
  • Yeah, not just this...
  • BotW 900 dynamic with 30fps and framedrops,
  • Links Awakening Framedrops
  • 30 FPS Kirby game
  • low res Yoshi game
  • 720p Pikmin
  • 30FPS Bravely Default 2
  • Xenoblade...both...
Its not some heavy third party games, its nitnendos first party games that are strugling on the switch.
720@60fps or 1080@30, shure, i can understand that.
but <1080@30 or even 720@30? Docked resolutions <720p?
we really really need a switch pro, just for stable framerates and 1080p.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To me, the main draw of this game was seeing the events of the calamity as they happened 100 years ago. If the game goes down some weird time-travel/alternate reality route then I'm out. Playing as Impa was pretty cool though :3
Given the bits of story we've seen in the trailers, the story is probably going to play out mostly the same as you would expect. The Egg Guardian is likely going to explain a few inconsistencies, like the Sheikah Slate unlocking early & some of the Guardians being influenced by malice early.

Donalp15

Oct 27, 2017
it is obvious nintendo had the choice to make the game fun, or 100% faithful to the BOTW canon.

they obviously chose the game being fun. and went with time travel shanenigans.

🤷‍♂️
I'm not sure why you think that the game being faithful to BOTW and the game being fun are mutually exclusive.

I don't mind time travel shenanigans, this series is no stranger to it.
And I was expecting retcons because they are essentially unavoidable when making a prequel, so stuff like egg guardian are perfectly fine so long as the story still hits the major beats you would expect based on what we know from BOTW.

But if they decide to completely change the story, and make it a 'What If', where they actually stop the calamity or whatever, then I will be disappointed, and I think me or anyone else who feels that way are completely justified to feel that way, especially since the trailers so far have given the impression of following the story from BOTW more or less.

That being said, I still think its early to make any judgment about were the story is going. It could still end as expected, with egg guardian and the like being retcons but the game still ends in mostly the same place.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given the bits of story we've seen in the trailers, the story is probably going to play out mostly the same as you would expect. The Egg Guardian is likely going to explain a few inconsistencies, like the Sheikah Slate unlocking early & some of the Guardians being influenced by malice early.
I doubt that. Look at the tapestry they showed at the start.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
It doesn't run great but it's anything but unplayable. Ridiculous thing to say. Some of you guys are crazy.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It IS a prequel. That's literally the selling point of the game. If there are time travel shenanigans, that's PART of the story we just weren't privy to before. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.
That's what everyone who is worried is hoping, that it's still a prequel, but signs point to it potentially being an alternate timeline thing. People aren't failing to wrap their heads around it still being a prequel, they are worried it won't be and others are making fun of people for wanting it to be a prequel.
Lol get used to it.

As an FF7/Star Wars/etc fan I've gotten used to the "subversion" and/or "just enjoy it" replies.

I wanted a remake of FF7 and I didn't get it. It happens.
I was incredibly disappointed by what FFVIIR was too. To me there is a big difference between subversion and just lying to people with the marketing. Avengers Endgame is a great example of subversion done right.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the problem with me in particular is that I'm not like the majority of people who post here in that I'm not an enthusiast and I barely care about video games anymore at all. Heck, the only reason why I made an account here was so that I could talk about BotW 2, lol. My default stance is to not buy any video games, period. I don't get "hyped." I don't pre-order. I don't make my decisions about whether or not to purchase something until it's already available. Except for BotW 2 and Xenoblade 2, the only video games I've purchased in the last 5 years have been re-releases of old games, and that's likely to stay that way forever. I've basically cut video games out of my life, and I'm quite happy with that.

So I'm not "upset" about what I'm hearing about AoC, nor am I any more or less likely to purchase the game now than I was 24 hours ago. As I said a few posts ago, Nintendo has to sell me on the game--I'm not going to buy it just because. I don't have to be convinced not to buy a game, or to cancel my pre-order. My default stance is to not buy. Nintendo has to do enough to change that no into a yes. I'm still intrigued about AoC, and I still want to know more. For example, as I said in an earlier post, simply getting a game with this Link and this Zelda interacting with each other in the present day and not solely in flashbacks pleases me. I also said that having the egg guardian intrude on that experience displeases me. So I'm still on the fence. I'm still not convinced I'm actually going to buy the game.

I did--and do--want AoC to be an actual prequel backstory to BotW, which is how Nintendo has been promoting it since it was first revealed. The question of the egg guardian makes me question whether or not that will be the case (which, by the way, I have been questioning since the beginning--I've always been suspicious of the egg). If it turns out that AoC is not a prequel backstory to BotW, but something else instead, then yes, I will be more than happy ignoring it and moving out with my life, as I have done with literally every other non-BotW-releated video game property in the last several years. For the last couple of hours, I have been articulating reasons why the egg guardian makes me suspicious. For the most part, my posts get responded to with emojis and laughing. This doesn't exactly incline me to want to continue the discussion. So I take exception to those who want to reduce a legitimate possible criticism that I--and others--have expressed to emojis and laughing. As I asked of Gustaf earlier, at least try to articulate a reason.

At any rate, this discussion is now past the point where it's beneficial to anyone, so this will be my final word on the matter.
Man, for someone who claims to not care about videogames, you sure like writing a novel's worth of arguments about Zelda timelines on a videogame enthusiast messageboard. Also, no one is being a blind consumer here. Some people legit love what they've played and are open to whatever direction the story may take.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

contrary to other people, i dont feel a need to defend, or attack something that i really dont know if exists or not.

when the games comes out, and it is timetravel/alternative bla bla blah whatever, i will make my mind and decide if it was a bad, normal, or good move for the game, or the story in both botw or botw2 if there is any connection.

as i right now i dont know anything more of the game, to actually give a damn about the story.

the war is still being explored, the game have all time favorite champions and characters in it. so i will play it either way.

i will not play this game JUST BECAUSE it was a prequel to botw.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
That's what everyone who is worried is hoping, that it's still a prequel, but signs point to it potentially being an alternate timeline thing. People aren't failing to wrap their heads around it still being a prequel, they are worried it won't be and others are making fun of people for wanting it to be a prequel.

No one is making fun of people wanting it to be a prequel--IT IS A PREQUEL.

People are annoyed at those who are concern-trolling and spreading misinformation as fact.

What credible evidence is there besides "it has time travel?" So Skyward Sword is not a canon story? Ocarina of Time?

Oct 25, 2017
I played up to Zelda entrance in handheld and found it blurry but the frame rate doesn't seem that bad? I'm going to try it again docked later tonight to see how it looks. I don't think this is something I want to play handheld. Impa seemed cool but tbh I had no clue wtf I was doing lol.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

People are annoyed at those who are concern-trolling and spreading misinformation as fact.

What credible evidence is there besides "it has time travel?" So Skyward Sword is not a canon story? Ocarina of Time?
Holy shit, this thread has multiple people making fun of others over disappointment that it might not actually be a prequel, just read the last few pages. Nobody is spreading misinformation as fact, nobody is saying the game is absolutely not a prequel, people are voicing their concern that it might not be and being jumped on for it.
I see you also missed that it's not just the time travel that worries people, there are a lot of things adding up. Time traveling guardian, the central tower being raised, the tapestry being altered to have the white guardian and 2 champions per Divine Beast in conjunction with the datamine and the guardian giving everyone use of runes from the Sheikah slate.

Last edited:

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately

dude... we know.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to decide if this is a Breath of the Wild prequel in the Musou genre or a Musou game with an elaborate BOTW skin?

The aesthetics are definitely right from BOTW, but the pace, "noisy-ness", and some of the controls stiffness and NPC behavior are definitely Musou. The overall roughness is bothering me a little. Performance is all over the place, some re-workings of BOTW systems feel a little surface.

The canon implications are a little interesting and I will admit I am a lore obsessed Zelda fan.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Egg Guardian was added to the tapestry to reflect its presence.
Not just that, there are two champions per Divine Beast now too and in the datamine
we see that the champions from 100 years later seem to be playable, which is worrying a lot of people.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
in my headcanon, the reason Link can maul entire armies in this game, but has trouble with large groups in BotW, is that going to brink of death, sleeping for 100 years and then waking up with amnesia weakened Link (like it did for the Master Sword)

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018

It's like they used Amnesia to forget that time travel exist the vast majority of the time in Zelda games.

It's really funny.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

No, but OoT and SS where buildt around it. It is mentioned and acounted for in the core story.

Here, we see retcons from the first scene.
Neither time travel, nor the existance of that guardian, nor the new tapestry (which kinda does not make sense in more than 1 way), nor is mentioned that the shika slate had al skills unlocked, ...
it seems hamfisted, retconed. not woven into the existing story, just handwaved away to make a prequell where non was planed.

And why dont i expect them to handle it better? My example with the picture that they extract from the small guardian. It literaly shows the castle during the calamity from far away, while the guardian was asleep and feel out of a window from the castle into the time whole. -> no consistency between around 10 minutes of story in the game.
Either they have to retcon a lot of BotW, or its a paralell timeline.

I love great timetravel stories (Primer, Dark, Steins Gate,...), i hate bad ones. This seems like a bad one.

Making a fuss about how story MIGHT go honestly comes off as somewhat ridiculous at this point of time IMO, especially since we know nothing about how the rest of HW:AoC's story will play out. Unlike FF7, the concept of time travel isn't new in the Zelda series and the possibility of the You Already Changed the Past and Stable Time Loop tropes that are extremely common in time travel stories coming into play here can't be ruled out.

Going off of one cutscene in a demo for a game not even released yet is just making a mountain out of a mole hill at this stage.
Those dont hold here.
Like i said up there, no mention of the min guardian, in logs, in documents, no mention of time travel... if you already changed the past in botw or you had a stable time loop, then there should be signs of that in BotW.
And there are enough sings of inconsistensy in such a SHORT timeframe. If it would be 1 or 2, shure. You think the story will be way better told for the rest of the game?

I doubt that. Look at the tapestry they showed at the start.

I was incredibly disappointed by what FFVIIR was too. To me there is a big difference between subversion and just lying to people with the marketing. Avengers Endgame is a great example of subversion done right.

Yeah. Subversion is one thing, ignoring the stuff prior, going a whole new way...yeah, then its just a new thing. FF7R is a new story. It changes EVERY character dynamic. Shure, the plot maybe follow similar points of interest/setpieces...but is it the same story? no.

Avengers did it great. Not perfect, but the characters where woven into the old scenes in a way, that if you watch the old movies, you dont think "ok, this does not make sense anymore", but "oh, and in the backgroudn there is tony".

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well its still a prequel even if we dont consider the time travel because the start of the game is still before the time we play as link in BoTW, and since we always like to judge things before the full picture is out, we could still see a "well time to fix everything and see it all go down the drain bad" story and the game could be long. (altered time line into True story line and be like some long ass game.)

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Breath of the Wild was the only 3D Zelda without some sort of Time Travel, so the complaints about Time Travel are kinda hilarious

Ocarina of Time: Going forward and backwards in time like nothing
Majora's Mask: Going back in time is like the entire game's gimmick
Wind Waker: You get to visit a long forgotten Hyrule and "wake it up" which isn't quite time travel, but I'm counting it
Twilight Princess: The entire Temple of Time dungeon
Skyward Sword: Time shift stones and actual time travel

Nov 17, 2017
I'm trying to decide if this is a Breath of the Wild prequel in the Musou genre or a Musou game with an elaborate BOTW skin?
It's definitely funny that my BotW muscle memory kicks in when playing as Link which has been throwing me off a bit. But it's interesting how they mix in BotW things like the Flurry Rush or Link's Shield parry. Having played Hyrule Warriors before this, it definitely feels different from that game.