Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Why would story content be excluded considering your progress in the demo transfers to the full game. Also if this is like previous Musou then typically side modes are usually locked until you go through a portion of the main campaign usually one or two maps to get access to the Free Mode and Alternative route options.
Yeah was a brain fart on my part :P

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
The demo was fantastic, convinced me to pull the trigger and did the preorder (which is not actually a preorder with the new eshop system but anyway... :-) ).

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the demo. That was fun. Fighting mechanics and Rune use is very good.

Did local co-op and the FPS dropped to ~10-15 when things got hectic. Docked. FPS dropped some during single player
Not surprised at all tbh. But yeah.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The music hasn't really stuck out to me in the trailers like it did for BotW, hopefully the demo changes that for me!
the quality of the music is the most surprising part of game so far for me.

no buttrock for one
The main theme is great. I assumed they would just use BOTW's main theme. But it's unique (as far as I know) and really good. The Map theme is a remix of the main theme and is good.
A lot of original music as well. Unless some are remixes I don't know. You can listen to all them in the options menu

(Being able to watch cutscenes with whatever equipment for Link is a cool plus)

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Kinda weird that everyone is spoiling something that happens at the very beginning of the game, lol.

But I say Nintendo is doing this for two reasons:

1) The thought of an unhappy ending in a Zelda game terrifies them;

2) and more importantly, the thought of a Zelda game ending with someone other than Link fighting Ganon is the most unimaginably horrible thing in the world to them.

They're probably doing it to give themselves an excuse to have a Link vs. Ganon final fight again.

That, and it'll be a way to make the characters from BotW playable later on.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to try this out to see if it's good but it's going under the tree and I don't want my kid to see it

hmmmm

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that everyone is spoiling something that happens at the very beginning of the game, lol.

But I say Nintendo is doing this for two reasons:

1) The thought of an unhappy ending in a Zelda game terrifies them;

2) and more importantly, the thought of a Zelda game ending with someone other than Link fighting Ganon is the most unimaginably horrible thing in the world to them.

They're probably doing it to give themselves an excuse to have a Link vs. Ganon final fight again.

That, and it'll be a way to make the characters from BotW playable later on.
The thing is it's very possible to have an unhappy ending and still have glimmers of hope. I know Nintendo can think of a way to maintain the story and give it a "happy" ending

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
The thing is it's very possible to have an unhappy ending and still have glimmers of hope. I know Nintendo can think of a way to maintain the story and give it a "happy" ending
Yeah, but that still doesn't solve the greater problem of Link not being around for the final battle (or even, possibly, the last several missions). I think that situation is simply not acceptable to Nintendo, which is why they're going to change it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
the quality of the music is the most surprising part of game so far for me.

no buttrock for one
The main theme is great. I assumed they would just use BOTW's main theme. But it's unique (as far as I know) and really good. The Map theme is a remix of the main theme and is good.
A lot of original music as well. Unless some are remixes I don't know. You can listen to all them in the options menu

(Being able to watch cutscenes with whatever equipment for Link is a cool plus)
I noticed in the trailer today it was a remix of the theme that plays when you're fighting Medoh in the sky in BotW, so I think they'll dig pretty deep for remixes actually. Which is super cool

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
The demo was pretty good. I didn't really care for the gameplay that much, but I already knew that was probably going to be the case.

I might just buy this for the story though, so far the cutscenes have been really interesting.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can see them having the expected ending but giving hope that in BOTW2 that things can be changed and setting up things for that game

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The music in this game are sublime, I love it.
I really don't think they will change much. I think they really just wanted a reason for sheikah slate and the central tower to be there.

I do think that they want to give you the impression that the future can change. But ultimately, it ends up the same
This is what I feel too, so it can explain some difference with BotW memories.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that still doesn't solve the greater problem of Link not being around for the final battle (or even, possibly, the last several missions). I think that situation is simply not acceptable to Nintendo, which is why they're going to change it.
Well that would really be a shame. Link losing and Zelda being the one to stop ganon would've made this game so powerful

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Soooooo i should give it a shot on my lite ? or nah ?

was told in the other thread don't bother at all.

didin't realize there was a demo thread so here I am asking (note: im not at home to download the demo which is why im asking)

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
This also happened in the original Hyrule Warriors in the forest mission where Link is helplessly surrounded by monsters until rescued by Sheik.
My immersion is breaking lol I liked Hyrule Warriors 1. It was fun to play as a Final Fantasy version of Link. But it's crazy to me how they didn't take that chance to have him talk or be more expressive in that since it's a spin-off.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
If that first point was the case, then wouldn't the story be the same?
Who knows. But there's a few different things I've been thinking of:

-- I've suspected for a while AoC's entire framing device may be that it's a flashback being told to Link by Zelda & whatever other survivors are still around after BotW. If that's the case (and it's possible that might not be revealed until the ending cutscene, or something), then there's a chance we're getting Unreliable Narration and the events depicted in AoC will not match up exactly with the actual backstory of BotW.

-- It's been clear that Nintendo/Koei was going to have to do something to explain the use of runes and slate powers in AoC, since that runs directly counter to how they're portrayed in BotW. Time travel, while probably not ideal by any fan's standards, is one easy way to do that. Time travel is a well that both Nintendo and Koei have drawn from many times before, so they're quite used to it as a way to solve their story-related problems.

-- Nintendo likely got cold feet at the idea of the ending not featuring Link. Not only does he not participate in the final battle, he won't even be present for the last several missions. I just don't think, when they sat down to draw up the game, they could stomach the idea of that. We all know how protective they are of Link. The idea of killing him off and having the last several missions not involve him was probably more than they could bear.

-- Since a huge part of the appeal of these warriors games, and Hyrule Warriors as our direct antecedent to AoC, is the vast number of characters, including time travel is an easy way to expand what would otherwise be a fairly limited cast.

We'll see what happens, but these are all things I'm suspecting may have factored into the decision to go the FF7R route (speaking of, I wonder how annoyed Nintendo/Koei might be that Nomura had the same idea and brought it to market first with FF7R. Think of how much more attention this storyline trick would have gotten if we hadn't already seen it earlier this very year!).

arc26

Nov 8, 2017
Has there been any announcement/confirmation of any sort of Adventure Mode for this game? I loved working my way through that map in the original Wii U HW, but they haven't shown anything like that for AoC yet if I'm not mistaken.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
While I didn't expect the mini guardian to appear the way it did I'm almost certain that the
current time version of it was the thing spying on them from behind the tree, which will be reprogrammed and boxed up after the the time travel version sacrifices itself for Zelda, ensuring a stable loop.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
By the way, is this demo actually out now? I'm kinda busy today so I won't be able to get to it until at least tomorrow.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cutscenes and overall visual style is excellent as expected.

The gameplay really lets down the game's presentation though. The input lag is absolutely atrocious, and Link's movement is such a step down from BotW that I can't see myself playing much of it. I'm sure this is great for musou fans but the button mash, hack-and-slash mechanics just feel terribly unsatisfying to me.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Tried it for like 10 minutes in handheld mode to see the performance.

It's actually fine? Am I going crazy or?
It looks a little blurry yes but other than that, even the framerate was correct ?

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you look closely, when the little one opens the portal the guardian sends some malice tru' the portal. Later you can see the malice activates a guardian.

This is why the guardians wake up in a corrupted state.

Nov 13, 2017
As someone who put in over 100 hours on Hyrule Warriors, I am shocked by how ugly this looks on my TV and how poorly it runs. I am not buying this game. What a let down.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this game isn't for me. The combat feels so meaningless, and it's the main feature of the game. Wrapping this in a BotW shell doesn't change that.

Also yeah damn, this runs badly. Not a good look for a Zelda game.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this game isn't for me. The combat feels so meaningless, and it's the main feature of the game. Wrapping this in a BotW shell doesn't change that.

Also yeah damn, this runs badly. Not a good look for a Zelda game.
To be fair. It's not being framed as a Zelda game. But a Warriors game telling a BOTW prequel.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't seem to get the timing right for Link's charge attack combo. I haven't really memorized everyone's rune attacks either. I'll need some time to get acquainted.

Also, Robbie's great lmao.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.... and hyrule warriors makes impa a better character than link to play as again

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Took me 30mn to get used to the gameplay as this is my first musou but this quite fun so far! Action is fast and there are many combos to use and unlock. Framerate can be rough and there is a lot of pop-in but it's not hurting my experience so far. All the variations of the rune abilities are interesting but I'm not sure if what happens during the fights are canon to the story.

Also I'm not 100% sold on egg being to travel through time. I don't know where this is going but I just hope that this is not something that will be used later in BoTW 2 to negate everything that has happened in HW:AoC and BoTW.