• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is a really polarizing game. It inspires absolutely glowing impressions like Dreamboum's here and Erevador's earlier thread. But it also has lots of detractors, whether because of the numerous gameplay changes, the more "western" approach, or the fact that the game's writing doesn't really do the potentially interesting setting or themes justice.

Oh, I didn't have knowledge of that thread. I really enjoy the idea of Sebastian in TEW2 being a hero instead of the usual anti-hero. He really has heroic traits that works within the confines of him trying to accept and overcome his trauma rather than dragging himself down through coping mechanisms. It also speaks about why I think comparisons to The Last of Us are misguided, they're different on a fundamental level. I appreciate the reading.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it doesn't really have good physical or physiological horror, imo

its kind of all just explained to the player flat out as the game goes on, there isnt really much to infer about the situation. what you see is pretty much what you get

the only type of horror i think it does good is body horror
I think the writing is underwhelming but it absolutely nails its themes and Sebastian's arc while also excelling at visual storytelling (something SH2 also did very well) and symbolism. James Howell does a really great job dissecting that and the OP also goes into it.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't really have good physical or physiological horror, imo

its kind of all just explained to the player flat out as the game goes on, there isnt really much to infer about the situation. what you see is pretty much what you get

the only type of horror i think it does good is body horror
This exactly.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I only played up to the end of a trial but I quite liked it. It seems to me that the biggest detractors for the game are those that loved the first and wanted more of that.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The Evil Within 2 is just exactly the type of game I love to play, and it's the kind of game that doesn't really come around too often anymore (although Resident Evil 2 remake looks to be bringing a similar type of experience back). It's a rare game in that it actually keeps getting progressively better through to the ending, which is so cathartic and satisfying. I still think that TEW 1's Kidman DLCs had the best writing of anything in the series, but whatever The Evil Within 2 lacks in story (and I actually really enjoy the story) it makes up for with engaging gameplay and heart.

Sadly, Pete Hines of Bethesda made a comment during e3 to the effect that since there was no demand for TEW 2 story DLC they pushed out the first person mode instead. I was really really hoping for story DLC or for Bethesda to let Tango Gameworks make a trilogy, but now I'm not sure what to think.

Hopefully RE2 remake will revive interest in slower-paced third-person survival horror.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
After playing RE7, i thought Evil Within 2 would just pale in comparison, but i ended up loving it way more than i expected. It is an amazing game and deserves way more praise than it got at launch. It is my favorite game in the survival horror genre so far this gen.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The way the devs improved the game's art direction, animation, and rendering compared to the first is severely underrated. Such a remarkable improvement over the first game in every way.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could see what some of you see in this game. It was the most "okay" experience I've played in years. As I look back on it now I struggle to remember large chunks of the game, honestly, while many sections of the admittedly uneven and janky first game are much more clear in my mind. The art, and especially the surreal location compositions in TEW2 are great, but that's about my only take away from the whole thing. I do recall some late game scenarios and reveals being pretty cool, but it takes like 13-15 hours to get there and the rest of the experience is so flat as a stealth-action/horror title

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure you're already aware of this OP, but I prefer the first game for it's superior combat and encounter design, and also because of it's more eastern design philosophy.

Evil Within 2 is really good, but it never put me in a tense, dire situation like the first game did with the Laura bossfight, or with that hectic cabin encounter from Chapter 6. This track in particular encapsulates the feeling of utter dread and nervousness that made the first game so memorable to me (the track, of course, does not include Laura's in-game blood-curdling screeching, which added greatly to the experience):

Aside from that, from a narrative perspective, what I really liked about the first game's story was how utterly messed up and vague it was. The game touched upon the antagonist's hinted
incestual tendencies
and also how he ended up
murdering his own parents
in order to revive his dead sister and to take revenge. It was relentless in conveying so much disgust.
Other bits of story were covered in journals and audio tapes, which served as another motivator to gradually piece together bits of the story and to figure out what was going on. I really enjoyed that. The gothic aesthetic surrounding the whole game was another added bonus which complimented the story and even the track Clair de Lune itself.

WIth all that said, I truly do admire the love that Evil Within 2 receives. I pointed out recently in another thread how it's currently ranked as the 9th highest (user) rated game on Metacritic across all platforms, that certainly means a lot. I am sure we'll see a third game at some point, too. Also, you've done a great job in covering the game OP, I couldn't have done it better myself.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
damn, that's a hell of a claim - i too skimmed the OP, as i didn't want spoilers. i finished part 1 & dug it, even if it went on too long....was 2 really that big an improvement? might have to track down a cheap copy for a halloween playthrough

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
OP, I get your comparison with SH2 and MGS2 by the way how they treat their themes of turning previous concepts in theirs series on their head in a narrative sense (like SH1 to SH2 or MGS1 to MGS2) or making the central character face their past demons (like trauma, as done also in SH2) or the similarities between the experience in STEM and the hellish town of Silent Hill, but that's where the comparisons end for me. And such comparison is kind of broad, because it allows the comparison to other games like Uncharted 4 or God of War (2018) in which the main characters have to face their past actions (and the actions the player made in past games) and puts them in a new light or shows signs of trauma in them, and these examples are just from the top of my head. But, in a general sense, I get where you're coming from.

The term of "new monument to the genre" and putting this game in the same breath as Silent Hill 2 though, I can't agree with. The Evil Within 2, while having some high points and a more daring story than most games nowadays, still fell flat compared to its predecessor. The best thing it's got going for is its examination of Sebastian and past traumas and how they shape gameplay in some parts of the experience. But the storyline at large left a lot to be desired, the moment to moment combat scenarios don't hold a candle to EW1 and the whole general feeling felt really bland, neutered. Coming from someone who loves the urgency and sheer madness of the first Evil Within and considers Silent Hill 2 as one of the best games ever made, I believe The Evil Within 2 is not really deserving of the "monument" praise.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Great post! Not even close though, Silent Hill 2 is still top dog! I haven't played this game but I played the first and watched a buddy play the 2nd

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I don't like your comparison much at all.

That said, Evil Within 2 is fucking ace and was one of the best games of 2017. Might be #3 after BOTW and Odyssey tbh. It expertly mixes sandbox and replayability in a meaningful way that slightly evolves the masterclass of RE4 and Dead Space. I'd say it's the best since the latter. Great environments too and fun as hell on its hardest mode.

It's honestly remarkable given the utter dogshit-ness that is the original. HUGE leap.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's a good game but personally I find TEW1 more memorable.

I just really love TEW1, despite all the flaws. A lot of that atmosphere from the first game are missing in the sequel as well.

Azajabar

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Monk's Cafe
Evil Within 2 was amazing, I really enjoyed it, one thing I wish this series didn't have is the whole shared mind thingy like I would have liked it more if it was just a zombie-infested town, because they spend too much time explaining this thing to you and it does get boring to listen to the whole thing.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i loved how the game surprised me every 15 minutes, with enemies or events happening on the world.
I bought it twice, and i've been thinking of buying that Prima guide since people say it's the closest we'll get to a great collector's edition pack.
A complete package, and a 10/10 survival horror action game.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's a good game, and an improvement on the original, but the pacing is all over the place and the story is terrible. Also aside from Sebastian the characters are all completely boring and it changes villains 3 fucking times.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Both evil within games are great but I prefer 1 more due to gameplay design with you having to use traps and have more awareness. It's also a lot more challenging and encounter design is top notch.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evil Within 2 is a fantastic game that is a huge improvement over the first (which I liked as well). I hope we get a third one someday.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
As someone who stans for the Evil Within IP and enjoyed and platinum'd 1 and 2 ... I don't understand the hyperbole and overhype people are displaying for 2...

as said already it's a very good game that deserved to be around 85 on metacritic but when I see phrases like

"the best gaming horror in a decade"
"a monument for the genre"
"the pinnacle of horror in this generation"

I really scratch my head, I am like, "hey, this game is very ok, but that's it"

It has terrible combat, the game forces you to stealth-kill most of the enemies, who by the way are dumb as fuck and will forget you were there shooting with your gun seconds before. it has mediocre bosses, I can only remember the Guardians, which are recycled and stefano, which should have been the main bad guy and not a side-villain, theodore sucks

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game still have the awful camera / fov / tank control problems the first game had? I managed to get the plat trophy for TEW 1 but after that much of the game I feel slightly ill if I think about returning to those issues again for the sequel.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I usually don't finish many games, but I couldn't help myself with this one (And I guess that speaks volumes about this game, because I play EVERYTHING). It hooked me from start to finish.. Not like the first one though...

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Fantastic thread OP, I'll go through it during my lunch break. I loved TEW1 when it came out, and TEW2 didn't dissapoint me, a severely underrated masterpiece and one of my 2017 GOTYs.

The ending of the game reached me in an emotional level that only a few games have managed to do in the past

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Really fun, but utterly forgettable.

Essentially the inverse of TEW1

Yep, if anything, it feels like inferior The Last of Us made with muuch lower budged. I did enjoyed it for what it is, but personally expected something closer to first game.
The game got huge hit on art direction, enemy designs compared to TEW1, which was big disappointment.

Oct 30, 2017
The first half of TEW2 was amazing... I was seriously blown away by it and couldn't believe how good it was, sadly for the second part the game starts to fall aparts slowly.

Silent Hill 2 is an untouchable masterpiece from the first minute to the very last one... you can play the game now for the first time after 17 years and you will still be blown away by it.

There is no comparison between the two IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean, I wish it was for me? I would agree with the evil within 1 but most of 2 is just so hamfisted about how it does everything, from enemy ai to storytelling. It's obviously a preference thing because the game has high praises and I'm not even saying it's a bad gsme by any stretch but I just don't see what's so amazing about it compared to the first, let alone silent hill 2.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it quite as great as some are making it out to be, but I agree totally that it has great moments, some tense gameplay and is underrated.

Sola1r3

Jun 20, 2018
Both Evil Withins belong in my top 10 of this generation and one my favourite franchises ever and I am so sad that sales were so bad resulting in the possible death of the franchise.

Edit: Also the DLCs for the first game feel so much like Silent Hill.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a deeply mediocre game with combat just barely on the edge of functional and writing that's just hilariously bad throughout the entire experience.
But I appreciate your thread title because it made me laugh out loud at what a ridiculous suggestion is that this is anywhere near Silent Hill 2.

Silent Hill 2 has some pretty bad writing/acting in 2018, but id agree, TEW2 has a really, really bad story. All i remember from it is that every second word of the script was LILY! LILY! LILY! All you ever fucking heard was the kids name. The combat was a HUGE step backwards from TEW1, and the game squandered its best monster (slime thing) by having it only appear once for like a 1 minute stealth segment. They overcooked the story so badly and shoved it down your throat so much that by the end i just didn't give a shit. It was so ridiculously heavy handed, SEBASTIAN LOVES HIS KID! YOU WANT TO SAVE HER! AND ALSO MAYBE THE WIFE!
EW1 had a much more understated story that left a lot to your imagination and was all the better for it.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ehh when i played through the game i was like 'whatever'. even completely forgot about it until i saw this thread. just recently played through the first one again tho and i just like the visual style so much more. i dunno, i think 2 is an alright game but ultimately forgettable imo

Nov 5, 2017
I've seen/heard a number of people say similar things about this game - so I'm sold.
Haven't read OP due to spoilers but do I need to know much about the first one before I play 2?

Really hoping this isn't some kind of global 'THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER' trolling...

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first EW and plan on playing the 2nd one after finishing up RE7.

I haven't read the entire op as to not spoil the game. Will continue reading later.

But this part

Going back to what I said previously, SH2's Silent Hill used the past and guilt of the people against them, yet it was never truly antagonistic. It could be seen as a trial by fire to overcome what ails the people who finds themselves drawn to the town. You could, theoretically, come out a stronger person out of it. It was a reflection of themselves they had to face. STEM, on the other hand, becomes more interesting than that because it is more than a reflection of Sebastian since it happens inside someone's world. This reflection can be shaped, by actual people, to show Sebastian the things they want him to see. Considering his role cannot be dissociated from his experiences, and his trauma plays a huge part in everything he does with how the world shapes itself, the implications of The Evil Within 2 becomes much more interesting to dissect at a human level.
makes me feel like I will be disagreeing with you big time. The premise of Silent Hill in SH2 is more than just being a trial. It doesn't concern itself with being antagonistic or anything as obvious as that like in TEW.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's painful to me how underappreciated the TEW games are, especially 2.

People like RE4, right? These are the spiritual successors. When I play TEW2 it gives me those RE4 feelings in ways no other game does. And yet most people seem to overlook it

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
We got RE7 instead of P.T.
We got TEW 2 instead of Silent Hills

I like it a lot and see it as a sequel with different experience than the first, the game have so many qualities like how they used the open city structure to enrich the horror

Both 1 & 2 are equally great imo.