Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
99% of game writing is full of badly executed tropes, and rehashed writing seen a billion times before a million times better. Don't get me wrong, i love a good used trope or a canned line. But for all it's advances the gaming industry still lacks good writing. So "Skip scene" is my ace boon coon.

But damn did Rocksteady put their foot in the writing for the characters. They irredeemable but at the same time they got heart and makes you feel for them. I never been a fan of Harley but love her in this game, the scene where she puts one in Batman feels cathartic for her. I mean he is technically was one of the dudes that constantly traumatized her.

King Shark as the straight man is hilarious, so much better than being the goofy break they usually write him as.

Digger just being an ass was always hilarious

And Deadshot starting to believe they actually be something was very endearing.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I liked Suicide Squad's story too, people got too hung up on certain characters being killed off… but first story you've liked since Mafia 3???? That was like 8 years ago, what was the last game you liked before that lol

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Suicide Squad's story too, people got too hung up on certain characters being killed off… but first story you've liked since Mafia 3???? That was like 8 years ago, what was the last game you liked before that lol
I read alot, my standards for story and characterization is high

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I'll do you one better. I genuinely believe Suicide Squad is the best game Rocksteady has made with Batman in it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what story-focused games you've played between the two that SS beat out haha. Either way, I'm glad you connected with the game that strongly.

I suppose I also didn't think Mafia 3's story was terribly good, so we probably just have different tastes haha

I read alot, my standards for story and characterization is high

to be fair, the two halves of this statement don't inherently correlate

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what story-focused games you've played between the two that SS beat out haha. Either way, I'm glad you connected with the game that strongly.

I suppose I also didn't think Mafia 3's story was terribly good, so we probably just have different tastes haha

to be fair, the two halves of this statement don't inherently correlate
Starfield was a pretty big bore you could literally see where it was going after you get the first piece of space thingy. Did have fun doing the Ranger storyline and planet

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the story in the game and even enjoyed grinding a bit to get the platinum. It was when they locked Joker behind even more grind and offered little to no story content that I kind of gave up on the game.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the story in the game and even enjoyed grinding a bit to get the platinum. It was when they locked Joker behind even more grind and offered little to no story content that I kind of gave up on the game.
Yeah I am doing post game stuff now, nice to zone out and listen to podcasts with.

Jun 5, 2023
I've got a bold take and I haven't even played it: Maybe Suicide Squad is a decent game that was made in a genre that people didn't want. It arrived to late to a trend and made some mistakes that wouldn't have been as big a deal 5 years ago.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
As a Suicide Squad story, it's totally fine and I agree that the characterizations of the characters are very good. But between gamers unhealthy attachment to nostalgia for the Arkham series, their weird hatred for live service games, and publishers not understanding what it takes to actually make and maintain a live service game, The game was just screwed.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The game has both a good story and great characterization and interactions.

It's a damn shame the industry collectively decided they were never ever going to give it a fair chance years before it even released.

Feb 16, 2022
I really dreaded this as I was still playing through the story when Joker dropped, but once I got to the season 1 episode proper, turns out it goes by really fast. Just in a couple of hours I already unlocked the Joker mission.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to give this a shot, but PC perfomance is so bad... I might try it on console at some point, but I don't like playing shooters on a gamepad. Just add Frame Gen!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it until the end when it said come back every few months to see how this really ends.

But as a whole I had a great time with the game.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am doing post game stuff now, nice to zone out and listen to podcasts with.

I used to do that a lot with Avengers. I really like superhero games where I can just kind of zone out and fight stuff.

I really dreaded this as I was still playing through the story when Joker dropped, but once I got to the season 1 episode proper, turns out it goes by really fast. Just in a couple of hours I already unlocked the Joker mission.

I'm sure I'll go back at some point, just taking a bit of a break to play some other stuff. I really do hope they will conclude the story with fighting all the different Brainiacs.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are we talking about the same game where Boomerang pees all over Barry's body while everyone else salutes him because he has a huge dong

I did like King Shark though.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I'm looking forward to picking this up on a deep sale in a year or something.

What are your favorite game stories besides Mafia 3 OP?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The character writing is indeed one of the strongest parts of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I liked the writing for each character. I also pass out on some story heavy games. A lot of cutscenes just bore me but after a few of suicide squad I actually was drawn into them in a way I hadn't been in a long long time.

May 22, 2023
Florida
People like different things. It is probably the most difficult thing for far too many to grasp as people always feel the need to try and change your mind for some reason.
Glad you liked it, I figure I will tackle it sooner or later when I get life settled down a bit.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Character-wise, I think they did a great job with the main four. Overall story is kinda meh.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Starfield was a pretty big bore you could literally see where it was going after you get the first piece of space thingy. Did have fun doing the Ranger storyline and planet
The Vanguard story had a nice twist, but it was a bit too telegraphed. That said, main story was literally just "elder scrolls in space".

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I enjoyed Suicide Squad well enough myself and thought it had some pretty good writing in a lot of places / ways, but I do have to take a bit of umbrage with the implication that Suicide Squad doesn't utilize samey, rehashed writing when a primary joke in the writing, repeated many MANY times, is "X Character does something zany, others characters stare incredulously for a beat of silence, then shake their head wistfully". They execute this exact setup up so much in the story it's actually took me out of it a bit.

Also, the beef between Deathstroke and Green Lantern has literally no established basis outside of, like, them both being black folks on opposite sides of the spectrum, which isn't particularly satisfying since you just kind of have to guess that maybe that's the issue compared to the other characters actively having beef with their enemies.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
The story seems to be set up for a cathartic killing of the one constant antagonist who directly (negatively) interacts with the main sqaud (Waller) but due to the nature of the unending game that can't really happen. Overall, I think the dialog worked but the overall story writing wasn't particularly good to me.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad well enough myself and thought it had some pretty good writing in a lot of places / ways, but I do have to take a bit of umbrage with the implication that Suicide Squad doesn't utilize samey, rehashed writing when a primary joke in the writing, repeated many MANY times, is "X Character does something zany, others characters stare incredulously for a beat of silence, then shake their head wistfully". They execute this exact setup up so much in the story it's actually took me out of it a bit.

On one hand, the facial animations were amazing. On the other, the amount of times it was used to do a physical "Did that just happen/Did bro just do that?" was bad.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The story seems to be set up for a cathartic killing of the one constant antagonist who directly (negatively) interacts with the main sqaud (Waller) but due to the nature of the unending game that can't really happen. Overall, I think the dialog worked but the overall story writing wasn't particularly good to me.
It's possible they could've killed off said character and used the other introduced character as the main mission giver for the live service model.

Or just not write your game in a poor way that leads to unsatisfying moments of killing characters, and avoiding all the actually interesting dynamics due to boring mind control and GAAS restrictions making certain your party and certain characters will be 100% fine in the journey

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
On one hand, the facial animations were amazing. On the other, the amount of times it was used to do a physical "Did that just happen/Did bro just do that?" was bad.

Considering how much Forspoken and the concept got ripped on for it just last year despite not doing it all that much, I don't know what it says that this hasn't been lambasted as much because it's truly absurd how much it's used as a punchline / segue for moments in the story. (Or hell, maybe it has. At this point, I've all but checked out of gamer discourse cause it's lame)

The anim was pretty good though, yeah

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It does, since it's funnier. Actually pissing woulda just been over the line/top. If people have to make up shit to trash talk the game, says more about them lol.
It was a juvenile joke done over the corpse of a beloved comic character. Can't blame people for getting some facts wrong here and there. And no one needs to make up anything, the game itself is more than enough to trash talk itself.

Feb 16, 2022
It was a juvenile joke done over the corpse of a beloved comic character. Can't blame people for getting some facts wrong here and there. And no one needs to make up anything, the game itself is more than enough to trash talk itself.
It's freaking Barry Allen lmao

I get that people don't like it, that's fair, but honestly? As you said, "the game itself is more than enough", so why make shit up? Unless those people making shit up realized it's actually not as big a deal as they'd like it to be, so they had to fudge up the details a bit

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a single character has an arc , meaningful change or growth in Suicide Squad. I think the voice acting and characterization is good, I think the premise is really fun and unique and competently executed.... I don't think this game has anything close to a good or interesting story.