Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I quite enjoyed the story overall, the characters aren't even characters I enjoy, and yet I found myself connecting with them because of how they were written (well, I should put boomerang on the exception list there, I can't really stand him). It's sad that no matter what people were gonna hate the game, since it was basically the "designated target" for anti GAAS sentiment, alongside Skull and Bones, because underneath the poor mission variety and bad performance, there's a pretty solid game (and fun, too!)

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Talk about a hot-take...

I need whatever some of you are smoking. Shit must be good.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same game where they explain why Deadshot is black is because the white Deadshot was actually from another universe and for 10-12 years (might be shorter because Rocksteady actively goes out of its way to ignore Origins) no one knew.

Hell, Harley in the Arkham Universe never has the moment where she realizes "Joker is abusive and is preying on her". She was ride or die for him the entire series. Even got excited when he was coming back because he gave his blood to random people needing blood donations.

Arkham Harley has extremely fragile footing when it comes to claiming a moral high ground against Batman for inflicting trauma.

But then again, Arkham Batman is also an asshole.

Asides from Origins, I am comfortable saying the writing in the Arkham games kinda sucks

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I enjoyed the story personally. Definitely worth watching on Youtube if you don't want to play it (lol).

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
This is the same game where they explain why Deadshot is black is because the white Deadshot was actually from another universe and for 10-12 years (might be shorter because Rocksteady actively goes out of its way to ignore Origins) no one knew.

Hell, Harley in the Arkham Universe never has the moment where she realizes "Joker is abusive and is preying on her". She was ride or die for him the entire series. Even got excited when he was coming back because he gave his blood to random people needing blood donations.

Arkham Harley has extremely fragile footing when it comes to claiming a moral high ground against Batman for inflicting trauma.

But then again, Arkham Batman is also an asshole.

Asides from Origins, I am comfortable saying the writing in the Arkham games kinda sucks

Also, and I asked my friend who likes Arkham games that I played with at the time: Wasn't Harley pregnant with Jokers kid in the trilogy? What happened with that plotline? Same with Harley and Ivy being a thing now that wasn't something I can recall from the bits I've seen from the previous Arkham games.

It definitely felt like they skipped from 'Arkham Bottom Bitch Harley" to "Modern mainstream Harley" without really doing any of the legwork.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Have not played it for silly reasons, in that i don't care for the Suicide Squad at all and love the Justice League a lot more, as in, i genuinely like any of the Jl members in the game more than all the Suicide Squad members in the game combined, and that i think they would be a lot more fun to play.

And thus i just don't want to pay 70 bucks to have Deadshot kill Superman, sorry, but the movies absolutely did not make me like him or others more than Superman, like, the very premise and theme of the story make me lose my interest, i don't care if there are a 1000 comic stories where the Justice League die, i just don't want to shoot and kill any of them.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I mean SS writing is alright but like the game is all tropes what are you talking about? It's literally just four well-realized character archetypes fighting evil characters who have to be evil against their will

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
If the only two story-driven games you have played in the last 8 years are this and Starfield, I can see how you came to this conclusion.

Otherwise this statement is bananas.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
images

Oct 25, 2017
Also, and I asked my friend who likes Arkham games that I played with at the time: Wasn't Harley pregnant with Jokers kid in the trilogy? What happened with that plotline? Same with Harley and Ivy being a thing now that wasn't something I can recall from the bits I've seen from the previous Arkham games.

It definitely felt like they skipped from 'Arkham Bottom Bitch Harley" to "Modern mainstream Harley" without really doing any of the legwork.

It was a false positive. In the Arkham City DLC Harley's Revenge there is a room with a bunch of negative tests on the floor. As for Harley and Ivy, I don't think they were a thing like you see in a lot of recent Harley centric stories.

This is why I think setting SSKTJL in the "Arkham Universe" was a huge blunder because of the baggage and how poorly handled it is. They throw so many possible plotlines and easter eggs that go nowhere. The true ending of Knight is probably the worst offender because SS makes it meaningless.

Telling me this Harley is the same one from the Arkham trilogy does not fly. If it was set in a vaccum sure, but connecting it to Arkham actually makes the whole thing worse. Not because I think Arkham is a pinnacle of story telling, but the fact Rocksteady just says shit that is so insane, neglect anything that wasn't made by them making any supplemental Arkham games/comics/etc not made by Rocksteady completely useless and expect people to care about this universe.

Deadshot being from another universe for 15 years and no one knew is the most insane thing Rocksteady has tried to say about their games eclipsing "The Arkham Knight is a completely new character to the DC universe. He is definitely not Jason Todd"

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Also, and I asked my friend who likes Arkham games that I played with at the time: Wasn't Harley pregnant with Jokers kid in the trilogy? What happened with that plotline?

Got retconned away in the Arkham City DLC. Someone from WB wasn't happy with the idea of Harley and Joker having a kid, I presume...

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to know what you liked so much about Mafia 3? I thought its story was incredibly half baked, especially because you pretty much just rinse and repeat taking down 4 separate mob bosses before going for the leader. It seemed like a pretty by-the-numbers story with nothing exceptional.

In comparison, there are some incredible standout examples of writing in games like Disco Elysium, Psychonauts 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc. I could name more that I think are great too like TLOU2 but don't want to derail the thread lmao

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I was hoping this game would do better. Not in a "yay corporations!" sense or even because I myself liked it and wanted more seasons, but just because I feel like we'll get more DC video games if these projects succeed.

I do think Rocksteady was out of gas with the Arkham franchise and thought mixing things up sounded good.

I was one of those Avengers people though, and just didn't want to go through that again.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to know what you liked so much about Mafia 3? I thought its story was incredibly half baked, especially because you pretty much just rinse and repeat taking down 4 separate mob bosses before going for the leader. It seemed like a pretty by-the-numbers story with nothing exceptional.

In comparison, there are some incredible standout examples of writing in games like Disco Elysium, Psychonauts 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc. I could name more that I think are great too like TLOU2 but don't want to derail the thread lmao
The story was route, but the acting elevated. Specially the interview scenes. The dude that played the FBI dude killeed it

Feb 16, 2022
I have so many other games I need to play and get back to, but I find myself always giving an hour or two for this game each night. Traversing around just demolishing grunts just feels so fun. One of the rare third person shooter to really get it right, almost as tight as Destiny is for FPSes.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I read a lot of social media content so I sympathize with having high standards in writing :P

There's a lot of junk out there for sure but I just can't relate to nothin good in that span of time. This is low hanging fruit but you play TLOU, OP? For a AAA game I think that's a pretty decent example of good writing in a game with excellent characterization. You cited Starfield as a disappointment, well I'm not sure Bethesda rpgs have ever really had great writing tbh. They're serviceable for basic quest delivery but not super compelling beyond that.

Disco Elysium has maybe the best for exposition/narration prose so give that a try. BG3 ain't too shabby either. If you like environmental storytelling (the less dialogue the better), The Outer Wilds and INSIDE are up there. Expand your horizons.

Hesdry

Oct 28, 2017
Brasil
Though I too agree that a vast majority of games have bad writing (given the nature of the medium), I'm just too curious about what other games you have played.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
How is Batman foiling her plans to kill and harm people traumatising her? lol Harlie being an anti-hero type character has always been janky imo.

Even if you excuse the character writing, the plot/scene structure from cutscene to scene is just terrible. Like others mentioned, so many examples of them just standing around staring at events not actually doing anything because there's no way you can logically explain evil Superman not instantly layering them, mach speed decapitating them instantly. It's just all so poorly conceived.

Also fyi just because you've read some books doesn't mean you have high standards lol lemme guess one of them is Ready Player One/Two

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
It's a terrific game for those people who hate DC heroes and enjoy seeing them humiliated and mutilated. Happily there don't seem to be many of them.

Theory

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, that's a low bar for sure… but actually I'm glad for you - genuinely glad you enjoyed it.

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 23, 2022
It's a terrific game for those people who hate DC heroes and enjoy seeing them humiliated and mutilated. Happily there don't seem to be many of them.
This what's making me scratch my head throughout this whole thing, we've seen so many incarnations of these characters, why is one where they lose being taken so personally as if they should be untouchable. No, I don't hate DC heroes, this is just something different.

Feb 16, 2022
This what's making me scratch my head throughout this whole thing, we've seen so many incarnations of these characters, why is one where they lose being taken so personally as if they should be untouchable. No, I don't hate DC heroes, this is just something different.
I'm probably one of the biggest DC fans in this forum and yeah, I can't fathom it either. This is a Suicide Squad story. Everything's fair game. If this was a Justice League game and they get stomped and humiliated, sure, make the argument. But it's like people often say, media literacy is dead.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Guardians of the Galaxy was far better just going off of comic book video game adaptations alone

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
The story was route, but the acting elevated. Specially the interview scenes. The dude that played the FBI dude killeed it
In that case is it the writing that you liked or the performances by the cast? I could see that being a similarity between SS and Mafia 3 cause I'm sure the actors in SS got to chew up a lot of scenery. But then I'm sure a lot of people here could point you to a bunch of games with absolutely incredible performances.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
"99% of game writing is terrible. Anyway let me tell you why Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League is the best written game of the decade."

Uh huh, okay. I don't even have a problem with you enjoying Suicide Squad (I haven't played it, I can't comment on its quality and don't have any problem with it) but the whole "99% of game writing" thing is just such a thoughtless, outdated opinion not based in reality and a weird way to put your preferences on a pedestal.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
"99% of game writing" thing is just such a thoughtless, outdated opinion not based in reality and a weird way to put your preferences on a pedestal.
I do not believe one has played enough games to say 99% of all game writing sucks
Yeah, having Mafia 3 as a high water mark really just says to me that OP chooses to play video games with mediocre stories.

Shame on you people! How can you question OP's high standards. He reads books ffs! Books!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Haven't played Suicide Squad, but Mafia 3 indeed has excellent storytelling. You made me bit curious about SS now.