Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in the US, and much of my youth was spent tinkering and building computers from scratch. It's a part of my life I honestly loved and still like to engage with to this day. A recent hobby of mine has been the Amiga line of computers; I have an Amiga CD32 and an Amiga 1200. My CD32 is pretty tricked out, but I've been wanting to towerize my Amiga 1200 for a long time now.

The nature of the Amiga line of computers is that they were split into essentially two market segments. There were the pro line of Amigas, like the Amiga 1000 and 2000, which were built into desktop cases and had slots for PCI cards:

300px-Amiga_1000DP.jpg

These types of designs lended themselves to things like the Amiga Video Toaster which defined video and cgi production for an entire decade. The home market, however, was concentrated primarily on all-in-one units like the Amiga 500, the Amiga 600, and the Amiga 1200:

eWDIbVL.jpg

This design kept the entire computer in the keyboard case, with a built-in floppy drive to boot from, and a trap door opening to allow users to add an accelerator or pop in a harddrive. Well, around 1994-1995, when Commodore died, a trend among Amiga owners was to "Towerize" their Amiga to expand the capabilities to a pro line. This involved soldering on new chips, installing PCI risers, that sort of things. The nature of the shape of the Amiga 1200 motherboard makes it so that finding compatible tower cases for the project is pretty difficult, with many opting to make their own tower from scratch.

And that's precisely what I'm doing. I've gathered a bunch of pieces together to expand the capabilities of my Amiga 1200 into something more in-line with the pro line of Amigas, while also building a tower from scratch for it. The tower shape will, for example, allow me to use PCI cards on my Amiga and also install a CD-Rom drive.

Firstly, the backplate for my tower project:

QQr3Ugp.jpg

This has been laser cut to accommodate an Amiga 1200 motherboard plus an ATX PSU, along with a spot to mount a PCI bracket that has been sized to the precise height of the Mediator PCI riser on the Amiga 1200 motherboard. My plan is to find an existing tower that has similar dimensions to this backplate and cannibalize it, to fit the backplate and thus let me mount my Amiga stuff inside. That's for a later date, however. Today is all about getting the software up and running.

DSjC6aYUIAIe6n1.jpg:large

First things first, I need to remove my Amiga 1200 motherboard from the case. I flip my Amiga 1200 over and remove the screws to expose the mobo:

DSjDSI4VQAAVPN0.jpg:large

The last time I did work on the inside of this Amiga, I installed a CF -> IDE kit (see on the left) to install Workbench 3.1 on, plus I installed an indivision Flicker Fixer DVI card over the graphics chip (the red board sitting in the middle of the computer).

DSjDgTWVwAE99nA.jpg:large

Once the mobo has been removed from the shell, my first step is to remove the metal shielding surrounding the mobo. Since this will eventually go in a giant metal box to begin with, such shielding is a bit redundant. To remove the shielding, I have to remove the mounting screws from each port on the back.

DSjDqz7UMAED7A1.jpg:large

Next up, I need to change my kickstart roms so I can accommodate a CD-ROM drive. These are kickstart 3.0. They are socketed chips, so a flathead screwdriver pops them out with ease.

DSjD1h5U8AEw3tC.jpg:large

Here's the new rom about to go right in.

DSjEDsrUMAAR8xH.jpg:large

Over on the CF -> IDE kit, we see I only have 1 IDE port on the motherboard to talk with. I need a 4-way IDE bridge to get multiple devices connected:

DSjEOq-UIAAVFaz.jpg:large

Here's the bridge installed with the CF kit placed back onto the new 2.5" IDE connection.

DSjEb9qVwAI-aiy.jpg:large

Next, I need to install a keyboard interface so that I can use PS/2 style non-amiga (read: cheap) keyboards with the system. The original keyboard for the Amiga 1200 slots in with a ribbon cable and is an all-in-one design, so fitting in this board is actually kind of difficult.

DSjEtbEUEAASFo0.jpg:large

This is the heart of my Amiga 1200 upgrade. It's an ACA 1233n with a 68030 at 40 mhz with 128 mb fast ram, which is quite a punch increase for the Amiga. What's neat about this card is it should give me the oomph to run Doom on my Amiga, proving John Carmack wrong, lol.

DSjE_0UVAAABmId.jpg:large

Additionally, while I'm keeping the original floppy drive connected, I've also installed a gotek floppy drive emulator on the machine. These work by mounting adf images on usb cards which the Amiga 1200 then sees as normal inserted floppies. This is nice because it'll ensure my Amiga software keeps working long after the disks die.

DSjFRfEVwAEAWcB.jpg:large

A stock Amiga 1200 PSU will not power all this extra stuff in my Amiga (a stock PSU is actually pretty underpowered in general), not to mention I live in the US so I need a step down converter to use the supplied PAL PSU with my Amiga. So, I picked up an Amiga 1200 -> ATX PSU converter. This will let me plug in any ATX PSU into my Amiga 1200, with the added benefit being that I no longer need to run my Amiga through a step down converter.

DSjFll7UIAABGYg.jpg:large

And here it is, all the hardware laid out ready to install some stuff. I have an ATAPI CD-ROM drive connected along with a PCMCIA wireless network adapter installed as well so I can network the Amiga to service it from remote PCs.

DSjFvmqUMAAS0jO.jpg:large

My next step is to upgrade the OS on my Amiga to a more modern solution. This is merely the 3.5 box, I actually plan on installing OS 3.9 on the thing, which I'm about to do just now. Next time I post, I should hopefully have a tower picked up to begin cannibalizing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really cool. I can't wait to see the finished tower.

I want something Beige, but the size requirement of the backplate might prevent that. If I could, I'd find something super 90's. I have a bunch of spare cases around but they're too short for the backplate. Maybe I'll fidangle something together. Ideally, I'd like it to look 90's as fuck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That looks so much fun!

Did you have an Amiga as a kid?

No, I grew up in the United States, although I've been dicking around with Amiga hardware for a half a decade now.

My main goal for the project is just to provide a better piece of hardware for AsmOne:

oEtWEa4.png

As I'm moving deeper and deeper into Amiga demo programming.

My CD32 is similarly tricked out, with an SX-1 installed and a gotek floppy drive emulator also rigged up to it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to mention, I have a mediator PCI riser board coming in the mail that's not here yet:

NPodzJe.jpg

I'm thinking about getting my hands on a real video toaster card, or maybe throwing in a 3DFX Voodoo Card in there to get around the limitations of the Amiga graphics chip. I have a PPC Mac that runs Amiga OS 4.1 so I don't want to get into the PPC class of Amiga hardware and abandon the 68000, but I'd feel fine with a modern (lol by 1990's standards) 3D card inside.

Patrick S.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Amiga is the greatest computer ever. I had such an awesome time growing up with Amigas, man. I had an A500 that I later upgraded to 1 MB RAM. The 512kb upgrade cost around the equivalent of a hundred Euro back then. Later, when a friend upgraded to a 1200, I bought his GVC Quantum 49MB SCSI hard drive, and put another RAM expansion into that, as well. How awesome that thing was! Much later I got an A2000 with an accelerator card, I think it was a 28mhz 68020. I'll love the Amiga forever. If today all modern PCs ceased to exist and we all had to go back to Amigas, I'd be delighted to do so. And the A1200 is such a sexy beast. Still love the design.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I grew up in the United States, although I've been dicking around with Amiga hardware for a half a decade now.

My main goal for the project is just to provide a better piece of hardware for AsmOne:

oEtWEa4.png

As I'm moving deeper and deeper into Amiga demo programming.

My CD32 is similarly tricked out, with an SX-1 installed and a gotek floppy drive emulator also rigged up to it.
But the demos will have to run on stock hardware in the end, right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Amiga is the greatest computer ever. I had such an awesome time growing up with Amigas, man. I had an A500 that I later upgraded to 1 MB RAM. The 512kb upgrade cost around the equivalent of a hundred Euro back then. Later, when a friend upgraded to a 1200, I bought his GVC Quantum 49MB SCSI hard drive, and put another RAM expansion into that, as well. How awesome that thing was! Much later I got an A2000 with an accelerator card, I think it was a 28mhz 68020. I'll love the Amiga forever. If today all modern PCs ceased to exist and we all had to go back to Amigas, I'd be delighted to do so. And the A1200 is such a sexy beast. Still love the design.

Messing around with Amiga stuff takes me back to the days when me and my dad built tons and tons of 286, 386, and especially 486 machines. We were hardcore tinkerers and had the Amiga been big in America, I guarantee you that we would have had a towerized Amiga at one point.

I'm think about possibly building my case out of wood, and maybe making it a horizontal desktop design. I wish it wasn't so wet and cold outside so I could dink around with some wood and tools.

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Cool project!

I'm in the process of repairing an A4000 I bought from halfway around the planet, when it arrived it had major battery damage, a screwed PSU, and no CPU card. Finally got hold of an A3640 card and am in the process of resurrecting it from the dead. Would love to get into assembler programming when it's finished - AsmOne looks very cool.

On a somewhat related subject, did you know it's possible to build an A500 from a kit? Check this out:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?91915-Amiga-500-Project-Red

When I was a kid an Amiga was all I ever wanted. My parents never bought me one so I had to make do with a C128D. Looking back I should have got a paper round and bought it myself :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool project!

I'm in the process of repairing an A4000 I bought from halfway around the planet, when it arrived it had major battery damage, a screwed PSU, and no CPU card. Finally got hold of an A3640 card and am in the process of resurrecting it from the dead. Would love to get into assembler programming when it's finished - AsmOne looks very cool.

On a somewhat related subject, did you know it's possible to build an A500 from a kit? Check this out:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?91915-Amiga-500-Project-Red

When I was a kid an Amiga was all I ever wanted. My parents never bought me one so I had to make do with a C128D. Looking back I should have got a paper round and bought it myself :(

Ha, speaking of batteries, one thing I didn't show was that I picked up a Real Time Clock for the Accelerator card. Takes a little watch battery.

I've seen projects like the amiga one above, but that's probably beyond my skilset right now. I'm actually doing a separate project at the same time that's similar, though:

OHmwAxl.png

I'm building a USB Megadrive Devkit from scratch. I've got all the parts and am machining the PCB in a few weekends at a hackerspace I go to. My Amiga sits at a desk where I have a small linux PC, and I'm gonna put my megadrive devkit right next to it as a general all-purpose 68000 development station. Got my put-together Dreamcast devkit there, too.

I've taken to the Amiga naturally, because I love the m68k. It's my favorite processor hands down, and I love working with it. I find it's so easy to use and elegant in design that a lot of other processors lack. It just works well in my mind. An entire computer built around the 68000 is of course right up my alley.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is really really cool! :D

Specs-wise I've modded my Amiga 1200 in similar ways (DVI out, 68030 card, 8GB CF disc) but I still have it in the original casing.

Have you experienced any stability issues with the ACA1233?
I had a ACA1232 but ran into stability issues where it would occasionally crash. There was apparently a problem with new turbo cards (Individual Computers ACA serie) on some motherboard revisions, and there was a fix by swapping certain resistors but the fix was an evolving project and I never got it to work on my motherboard. I eventually swapped out the ACA card to an old Blizzard turbo card instead, after that it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in the end, I said screw the backplate and fidangled an old case I had into working.

Just a test run to make sure everything can fit before I go through and wire everything up nicer:

DSt7OXAVoAAOUuG.jpg:large

And, perhaps stretching the definition of a tower a bit, but my towerized Amiga 1200:

DSt7ajpVMAEANlg.jpg:large

Now to begin installing the software and rewiring the case...

DSt7oXaU8AAUbKm.jpg:large

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another North American Amiga fan! We're a rare breed.

I don't have the technical knowledge to mess with hardware but I still find this fascinating. Do you have an NTSC CD32 system?

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Was gonna say don't do it man, the original A1200 is such a beauty, but too late lol.

Last year I brought my A1200( with Blizzard 68030/50Mhz, 100MB harddrive, 8 GB ram + the 2 GB fastram and extra floppy ) out of hibernation since last use ~1998. It still has all the score marks from resting the extra floppy on top of it.
The harddrive was busted which was annoying as I did my final year Computer Science project on it - paint/image processing app written in Blitz Basic and assembly. Would have loved to recover my old 3D models/Renders and 2D paints from it.
Surprisingly both floppies still worked but I need to get it recapped, luckily the battery from the Blizzard wasn't a leaking type.

Anyways, also tricked it out last year with 4GB CF card, Indivision HDMI card as you have, along with a WiFi card & extra 4GB CF card, also an Atari port Competition Pro with proper 2 buttons, I.e they register differently.

I'm pissed my brother threw out my old A2000 when I was at Uni and when moving house I chucked my old 14" multisync, grrrrr, thought it was a good idea at the time. I did keep my old 14" portable Sony Trinitron though luckily.

I'll probably pickup another A1200 when the Vampire V4 comes out, I want to keep my original A1200 as it was from 1992. Ideally I need would tower another 1200 with clockport for zorro etc.

Look forward to where you'll go next with the tower. I love still having my '92 Miggy, probably the oldest thing I own.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another North American Amiga fan! We're a rare breed.

I don't have the technical knowledge to mess with hardware but I still find this fascinating. Do you have an NTSC CD32 system?

No, my CD32 is PAL, I run it through an Atlona CDM 660 PAL->NTSC converter to get it working on american televisions.

Was gonna say don't do it man, the original A1200 is such a beauty, but too late lol.

Unfortunately the Amiga's non-integrated PSU having to be then run to a step-down converter made using the original amiga case a real hassel in terms of desk space. The new case with an internal PSU is much more clutter free.

Plus, now I can use my CD32 games on the A1200.

At least I went for a case that sort of resembles the style of the A2000 case.

kaleii

Nov 21, 2017
Wow, that's super impressive! I especially like the USB solution to make it a bit more modern.

I still have my old Amiga 500 and 1200 in the cellar. I wonder if they still work.

Oct 30, 2017
Very cool.
Before I started college here in Canada I worked at an Amiga store. The Amiga was my first foray into professional programming, still have the original ROM kernel books too somewhere.

I had a A500 and a A2000HD but got rid of them along the years. I took a snapshot of my 2000 using a null modem cable but I haven't found where on my network I saved the files. This thread is a good reminder to revisit that search. It's been eons since I tried emulation so I suppose at this point with decent pc hardware it should be pretty accurate now.

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately the Amiga's non-integrated PSU having to be then run to a step-down converter made using the original amiga case a real hassel in terms of desk space. The new case with an internal PSU is much more clutter free.

Plus, now I can use my CD32 games on the A1200.

At least I went for a case that sort of resembles the style of the A2000 case.
Case looks nice, very retro :), I think there's supposed to be a rerun of the A1500 cases, last I read several months ago and supposed to have slight modifications, was looking at that for use with the Vampire & other A1200.

Shame about the transformer/PSU situation but yeah understandable. My old A1200 PSU lasted 6 months, luckily I replaced it with a proper A500 PSU at the time.

Now you have PCI you'll be able to add a nice GPU for proper chunky mode for Doom :)

buxtoc

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The A500 (not counting Chucky Egg on the Acorn Electron) was the computer that really got me into gaming.

What games do you like to play on the thing?

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, my CD32 is PAL, I run it through an Atlona CDM 660 PAL->NTSC converter to get it working on american televisions.
Yeah, I imagine the PAL ones are much easier to come by, and have wider compatibility. I remember EB had the NTSC one in stores for about three seconds. Occasionally I have seen used one locally but they're hard to find.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Last year I brought my A1200( with Blizzard 68030/50Mhz, 100MB harddrive, 8 GB ram + the 2 GB fastram and extra floppy ) out of hibernation since last use ~1998. It still has all the score marks from resting the extra floppy on top of it.
The harddrive was busted which was annoying as I did my final year Computer Science project on it - paint/image processing app written in Blitz Basic and assembly. Would have loved to recover my old 3D models/Renders and 2D paints from it.
Surprisingly both floppies still worked but I need to get it recapped, luckily the battery from the Blizzard wasn't a leaking type.

Anyways, also tricked it out last year with 4GB CF card, Indivision HDMI card as you have, along with a WiFi card & extra 4GB CF card, also an Atari port Competition Pro with proper 2 buttons, I.e they register differently.

I'm pissed my brother threw out my old A2000 when I was at Uni and when moving house I chucked my old 14" multisync, grrrrr, thought it was a good idea at the time. I did keep my old 14" portable Sony Trinitron though luckily.

I'll probably pickup another A1200 when the Vampire V4 comes out, I want to keep my original A1200 as it was from 1992. Ideally I need would tower another 1200 with clockport for zorro etc.

Look forward to where you'll go next with the tower. I love still having my '92 Miggy, probably the oldest thing I own.
Sounds pretty much like my A1200! =) But I don't have wifi, I transfer files through a PCMCIA CF card adapter, clunky but it works. Still have mine with the original looks as well, Pic, but I think towerizing it sounds interesting too since you can go so much further with the upgrades.

What's that about a leaking battery on the Blizzard card? Is it a common issue on some versions? I have the Blizzard MK IV 50Mhz 16MB card.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I imagine the PAL ones are much easier to come by, and have wider compatibility. I remember EB had the NTSC one in stores for about three seconds. Occasionally I have seen used one locally but they're hard to find.

Actually, several years ago, a few warehouses full of NTSC Amiga CD32s were found and they flooded the market. They can usually be found dirt cheap because they are so abundant and also because nearly nothing runs on them. A PAL CD32 when I picked up mine was much pricier.

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sounds pretty much like my A1200! =) But I don't have wifi, I transfer files through a PCMCIA CF card adapter, clunky but it works. Still have mine with the original looks as well, Pic, but I think towerizing it sounds interesting too since you can go so much further with the upgrades.

What's that about a leaking battery on the Blizzard card? Is it a common issue on some versions? I have the Blizzard MK IV 50Mhz 16MB card.
Nice setup, yes, very alike setups :), mines all yellow still though, will wait until Sumner to retrobrite it.
On the battery it was just some expansions had capacitor type solutions for the battery instead of the larger watch type batteries. You should be good with the battery in the Blizzard.

The WiFi card is pretty cheap and just handy, only issue I had was I had to setup a separate WiFi router with less security, I.e. older WEP and only the Amiga MAC address can connect.
I also got a PCI Hub for CF cards to copy large files from the PC like yourself, the WiFi is just handy for Aminet stuff.

Actually, several years ago, a few warehouses full of NTSC Amiga CD32s were found and they flooded the market. They can usually be found dirt cheap because they are so abundant and also because nearly nothing runs on them. A PAL CD32 when I picked up mine was much pricier.
Doesnt the CD32 allow you to swap between PAL/NTSC? Or at least via a software hack?

Amiga CD32 has that accelerator to have an 030 @ 50 mhz. And 64 MB ram.

Id love to see the rare Trapped series, in particular Trapped 2, to be run through that thing. Seriously those games dont get enough love. Everyone knows Genetic Species or Alien Breed but Trapped is always left out. Especially when Trapped 2 is one of the most impressive true Amiga 3D engines out there.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I remember reading something on that but didn't realize they ended up being cheaper. You can get PAL games to boot on NTSC systems if you have a mouse but I think you still need PAL TV compatibilty for a lot of games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt the CD32 allow you to swap between PAL/NTSC? Or at least via a software hack?

You can by holding down both mouse buttons at boot, but since 100% of the software I am going to run is European, this seemed like an unnecessary headache. Plus, I've read that even in 50 hz mode, some games are wonky on in NTSC color space.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nice setup, yes, very alike setups :), mines all yellow still though, will wait until Sumner to retrobrite it.
On the battery it was just some expansions had capacitor type solutions for the battery instead of the larger watch type batteries. You should be good with the battery in the Blizzard.

The WiFi card is pretty cheap and just handy, only issue I had was I had to setup a separate WiFi router with less security, I.e. older WEP and only the Amiga MAC address can connect.
I also got a PCI Hub for CF cards to copy large files from the PC like yourself, the WiFi is just handy for Aminet stuff.
Ah okay *phew* I started getting worried here

Yeah it sounds convenient for sure with wifi, it's really cool that things like that even works so dropping the security a bit is a small problem imo.

I tried moving my whole floppy collection to the PC, for emulators, ripping the floppies with a KryoFlux floppy disc controller block by block, but way too many discs didn't work that way. Not sure what the problem was. Now I have this Amiga 1200 instead with a 8GB CF card and a traditional whdload install. Nothing beats the real deal! It's without a doubt one of my most precious gaming hardwares :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm going back to an actual IDE Harddrive. The reason being that I find CF cards tend to cause crashes quite a bit, both across MS DOS, Windows 95, 98, and Amiga 3.1. I feel like using CF cards is too unreliable. I'd like to use a modern HDD but I'm worried I'll run into an issue if they are too big. Anybody know if that's a concern with Amigas?

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I'm going back to an actual IDE Harddrive. The reason being that I find CF cards tend to cause crashes quite a bit, both across MS DOS, Windows 95, 98, and Amiga 3.1. I feel like using CF cards is too unreliable. I'd like to use a modern HDD but I'm worried I'll run into an issue if they are too big. Anybody know if that's a concern with Amigas?
Depends on the size but pretty sure you have to use PFS - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_File_System
Its around 100GB limit but I think you can just create multiple 100GB partitions.

I havnt had any issues with CF card stability
Ah okay *phew* I started getting worried here

Yeah it sounds convenient for sure with wifi, it's really cool that things like that even works so dropping the security a bit is a small problem imo.

I tried moving my whole floppy collection to the PC, for emulators, ripping the floppies with a KryoFlux floppy disc controller block by block, but way too many discs didn't work that way. Not sure what the problem was. Now I have this Amiga 1200 instead with a 8GB CF card and a traditional whdload install. Nothing beats the real deal! It's without a doubt one of my most precious gaming hardwares :)
Yeah WHDLoad is a godsend, floppy's suck lol. I've maxed out both 4GB CFs with Whdload games, i should probably get 1 of a larger size internally.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Krejlooc
I know you're thinking AmigaOS 3.9 but if you plan on having a near hassle free WHDLoad setup you should consider maybe dual booting with a Classic WB install, it includes most of the chip ram reducing programs and is fairly lightweight vs bloated 3.9, may not be need initially but might be useful later.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Man, this thread is really making me want to see if my Amiga 500 still works and maybe rip out the disk drive and replace it with one of them fancy SD card systems.

Mine was the bundle which had batman and some other games. I had an epic tone with it. X-copy was essential for the playground swaps

Was that the bundle with Batman: The Movie, Robocop, Ghostbusters II, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Arcade Game? Those were my first ever games. Finished all of them except Ghostbusters II, which I recognized as bullshit even as a tiny baby. Mind you, it did have really nice audio samples. When Janosz Poha said "You're like the buzzing of flies to him!", I was like "whaaaat"

In retrospect, it was real freakin' weird that there were games for children based on those movies. In the Robocop one you even get to personally shoot Dick Jones full of holes at the end.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The 3.0 roms work just fine with a CD-Drive (and even a dvd one). That step was unnecessary (unless you absolutely wanted 3.1 in your a1200).

Also
You could have simply rewired the atx psu instead of going for the adapter, but that's a more elegant solution I guess (albeit slightly more expensive).

I'll be interested to see why you went down the "I'll create my own tower" route instead of purchasing one of the several existing A1200 towers options

You can use larger drives through a Sata to ide adapter but be prepared to have lots of partitions

My Amiga 1200 uses a 2.5" 20gb hdd and the whole Amiga demo history and music takes about half that space. You will have unused space but it will work just fine. If you go the whdload or jst road, you won't break 15gbs while having almost everything under the sun.

Edit 2: my advice would be to go for a cheap ssd, since yoi can get rather small ones that would limit the number of 2gb partitions to 7-8.

Also I don't recommend using 3.9 on an amiga 1200, not enough slow (chip) ram, it will eat most of it once you pimp it (newicons, diropus, etc)

Last edited:

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man, this thread is really making me want to see if my Amiga 500 still works and maybe rip out the disk drive and replace it with one of them fancy SD card systems.

Was that the bundle with Batman: The Movie, Robocop, Ghostbusters II, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Arcade Game? Those were my first ever games. Finished all of them except Ghostbusters II, which I recognized as bullshit even as a tiny baby. Mind you, it did have really nice audio samples. When Janosz Poha said "You're like the buzzing of flies to him!", I was like "whaaaat"

In retrospect, it was real freakin' weird that there were games for children based on those movies. In the Robocop one you even get to personally shoot Dick Jones full of holes at the end.

I did some searching and itv was this pack I was luckily given by my dad

batmanpack.jpg

Here is the blurb

The Commodore A500 Batman pack must surely rank as the most successful computer pack ever. The bundle was negotiated and organized by David Pleasance. Its success directly contributed to his ascendance to the role of joint Managing Director and swelled the Amiga ranks by over two million users. This was backed by a TV advertising campaign that promoted the Amiga as a games machine that could also word process.
The bundle features the standard A500 computer and TV modulator, plus four of the most popular titles of the time - Batman the Movie, New Zealand Story, Interceptor, and Deluxe Paint 2

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/a500batman.html

A true treat for Amiga fans. Loved that computer. So good

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The TV modulator was such a piece of shit. I have two but thankfully my Amiga is connected trhough an ossc for absolutely gorgeous results to a Dell pro monitor

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The TV modulator was such a piece of shit. I have two but thankfully my Amiga is connected trhough an ossc for absolutely gorgeous results to a Dell pro monitor
The external one or the internal one on the A1200?. External one was fine but horibly bulky, my A1200 modulator died after 6 months, POS lol.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The external one or the internal one on the A1200?. External one was fine but horibly bulky, my A1200 modulator died after 6 months, POS lol.
The A520 (video modulator was an external component) provided a terrible image, especially since the Amiga could do RGB native

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The A520 (video modulator was an external component) provided a terrible image, especially since the Amiga could do RGB native
Ahh yeah but that thing was in the early days where RF/component was the scene, later with scart it was irrelevant.
Most consoles at the time( ~87/88 had crap quality )

First game I tried on my A500 was Shadow Of The Beast 2 and coming from an Amstrad CPC the music and visuals were stunning.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh yeah but that thing was in the early days where RF/component was the scene, later with scart it was irrelevant.
Most consoles at the time( ~87/88 had crap quality )
The Amiga had a full line of RGB monitors available as soon as it came out (especially the godly 1084S) and you could also use the amazing C64 line of RGB monitors. The A520 was useless :P

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Amiga had a full line of RGB monitors available as soon as it came out (especially the godly 1084S) and you could also use the amazing C64 line of RGB monitors. The A520 was useless :P
It did but you needed the modulator to plug it into a TV, OK for you rich guys :P, I had to use a TV for a few years until I got an A2000 and multisync which was great when I got the A1200 as could use the double scan modes for interlace free, was great for programming and could force it in some games so scan lines were pretty much eliminated.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Between my family and all my friends there were plenty of Amiga computers to play with, but they were pretty much all A500/A600s, maybe one A1200 (and one CD32!). I saw ads for these other weirdo PC-like Amigas with monitors in magazines and was always curious about how what they were like.

I never spent much time in AmigaOS interface / Workbench etc on Amiga either, only time I'd find myself looking at AmigaOS was if I was launching PD games off collection disks, or, more commonly, getting read/write errors at the worst times.:D

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It did but you needed the modulator to plug it into a TV, OK for you rich guys :P, I had to use a TV for a few years until I got an A2000 and multisync which was great when I got the A1200 as could use the double scan modes for interlace free, was great for programming and could force it in some games so scan lines were pretty much eliminated.
Eliminating scanlines on an amiga is a crime. Your unworthyness was just proven for all to see!

I would have agreed about the flicker though :p