• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
Yes, Watch dogs is a very underrated game and I am here to defend it.

The representation of Chicago is incredible, the open world might not have many activities but its a pleasure to drive around watching every corner of the city

The setting and tone of the game are very cool. Its very dark and atmospheric, Ubisoft nailed it

The navegation and parkour are awesome, with lots of verticality and buildings to climb

The gunplay is the best one in the series. Aidens animations are reallly well done, specially the executions. Stealth and base infiltration are very fun, with lots of things to hack and options to deal with enemies

Driving can be a little bit stiff depending on the car you are driving but once you learn how it works, its really good. I really like the car chases, they are the best in the series. The AI is super aggresive and its difficult to get rid of them. I like the challenge the game gives in that sense

The writing is surprisingly good, and the actors did a really good job. There are no cringy moments or anything that stand out badly

I know that people hate Aiden but I really believe he is a good character, he has charisma and I really like his stoic behavior. Man of a few words but when he speaks he says interesting stuff. There are other characters that I really like too, like Clara, Jordi or T Bone. They all have good moments in the game

The graphics are still awesome. Yes i know that there was a downgrade and fuck Ubisoft for doing this but the game still looks really good, specially considering that is a 2014 game. Textures are great, the lighting is still really good, the game can look stunning when its raining, so so good.

The campaign has very good missions and they have variety, which is something surprising in a Ubisoft game. I really like the one where you are driving the guy to meet the owner of the club, the ending is brutal

The music is really good, not so much the radio I admit but the score of the game has very good tracks

And I could go on and on. The game has some flaws, yes (side content, downgrade) but i think the backlash from the community was very extreme. There is a very good game here that a lot of people probably missed because of the bad reputation. With a few mods on pc it looks incredible and it plays extremely well too

This is all I had to say :D

Can-you-play-watch-dogs-without-killing.jpg

Last edited:

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I enjoyed it too. It did feel a bit eye-rolly at times though when Aiden goes full action hero mode with an assault rifle. I feel like the game should be completable with stealth and hacking, maybe a pistol.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yes it is. It is also very grim and dark, and goes into some ... difficult places... if you explore the world more.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really get behind the first one, but WD2 is one of the best open world games of last gen. Even hotter take, WD Legion is a lot of fun and underrated

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
as a chicagoan the way it was represented in game actually makes it a shit game for me. even driver did a better representation of chicago and that was a ps1 game.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I really enjoyed it.

Overall the story / characters are boring; outside of some subplots, and side characters. But, the core gameplay itself was a lot of fun.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Aiden is a walking cringe monster but yeah, I have a soft spot for that game. Spent hours playing that invasion mode, too much fun.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The infiltration missions with the silenced pistol, were *chef kiss*.

I personally didn't hate Aiden Pearce that much, guy was regular day Batman. If you think about it, the last Batman wears a hoodie, so this was in our zeigest eight years prior.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Moment to moment gameplay was fun at the time. The shooting is better than GTA from memory. But the hacking is a pretty forgettable gimmick and the story was awful. The whole series has no character or personality.

It does do something great though. And that's the hide and seek multiplayer. I played that for ages and it never got old. Especially the time I glitched on top of a building I wasn't supposed to and I could sit there watching my opponent run around below me without concern.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Ah another thread where we forgo the distinction between opinions and facts. If you had fun with it OP I don't think anyone is trying to take that away from you.

Oct 28, 2017
The only great Watch Dogs game, and one of the last great open world games of its kind before the modern era of padding and RPG nonsense took over.

Watch Dogs is an example of how toxic the gaming community can be. It was proper mob mentaility with the downgrade backlash. Most didn't actually care. They just wanted to join in on the latest outrage. And the sequel suffered heavily for it by fooling the devs in to thinking they needed to make something entirely different.

Watch Dogs 2 being so much worse wasn't Ubisoft's fault. It was Era's. Or GAF back then.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I am sorry but yes it is. Its a great game

Hey I am happy you liked it, to me it was bog standard open world game I quickly lost interest in. Tried the demo or beta of Watch Dog Legion before it came out and felt the same. These games also have that Ubi jank in their open worlds I am not a fan of.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 was great, but I can't agree when it comes to the first game. One of the most bland open worlds I've ever played.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only great Watch Dogs game, and one of the last great open world games of its kind before the modern era of padding and RPG nonsense took over.

Watch Dogs is an example of how toxic the gaming community can be. It was proper mob mentaility with the downgrade backlash. Most didn't actually care. They just wanted to join in on the latest outrage. And the sequel suffered heavily for it by fooling the devs in to thinking they needed to make something entirely different.

Watch Dogs 2 being so much worse wasn't Ubisoft's fault. It was Era's. Or GAF back then.
Watch Dogs 2 is widely considered the better game so I don't know what you're on about lmao

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
the gameplay feels great, and I love the radio stations. game definitely has a place in my heart.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Watch Dogs is a good game, but I think the most interesting thing on the game is keep looking at random people's messages, calls and what they do for life.

Being edgy, but maybe it's the reason of what the USA government likes that so much.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I hated the map and how it was butchered up. I was looking forward to Chicago but splitting everything up into Islands sucked to me.

Other than that I had fun with the game.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
I like Watch Dogs, but Aiden is a trash character and the big flaw with that game. Watch Dogs 2 was a huge improvement and better in every single way, except for maybe the shooting.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
its great. great atmosphere, some heavy shit (the writing isnt amazing but i dont think its too bad either), the driving actually isnt nearly as bad as most people say imo, i liked the weighty feel of the cars, i certainly prefer it over wd2 and legions floaty physics.

best part was the on foot gameplay though, Aiden was way more resiliant than Marcus and it was incredibly fun to control. The shooting is by far the best in the trilogy somehow, the slowmo is awesome and theres some really good missions.

Only downisde was Aiden mostly being rathre boring and the missions where you have to direct people through cameras.

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
It was decent, but I agree with you in regards to representation of Chicago. I'm from the midwest and it was nice to see a city closer to what I'm used to rather than the usual NY or LA.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I loved the game (even waited until they finally released it on WiiU). I liked the more "grim and realistic" open-world and ambiance. Was a nice change compared to GTA and Saint Rows.

Actually, that the only thing I liked less about Watch Dogs 2, the tone was all over the place.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP, I didnt played the game for so long until 2 years ago I bought it very cheap and I was blown away by how fun it is, I still get on it to invade people and play poker.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The representation of Chicago is incredible, the open world might not have many activities but its a pleasure to drive around watching every corner of the city

As a Chicagoan, nah. They forgot like 90% of Chicago and dumped it all underwater. The entire North Side is missing, which is just ridiculous. :(

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
I loved the first game. Had a better time with it than with GTA V, tbh.

Only disagree with you saying radio wasn't very good. They nailed a few genres, specially punk rock. Chicago's Punk scene was so well represented with such a great collection of songs.

On the other hand, couldn't stand WD2. That hipster vibe didn't grab me at all. Haven't played Legion yet so can't comment on that

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
You have my axe OP

I do legit low-key love it. Great gunplay, still appreciate how unique VG game Chicago is.... Just like Infamous' depiction of Seattle, they're both hilariously inaccurate, but still fun and evocative. Aiden is an underrated character. He's supposed to be a gray, entitled POS up until the final act really.

Game legit made me visit Chicago finally last summer too :)

OP
OP
Gonzito

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
I loved the first game. Had a better time with it than with GTA V, tbh.

Only disagree with you saying radio wasn't very good. They nailed a few genres, specially punk rock. Chicago's Punk scene was so well represented with such a great collection of songs.

On the other hand, couldn't stand WD2. That hipster vibe didn't grab me at all. Haven't played Legion yet so can't comment on that

Dont get me wrong, I feel like the radio has good songs but there are very few tracks compared to other open world games like Saints Row or GTA. I think the radio needed more songs. One song I love in particular is Confidential Liar from Vannatica. Its so good

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I was meaning to try Watch Dogs 1 again on PC with mods. Looked up a few videos and graphically the game holds up quite nicely after 8 years.

I tried WD2 many times, but the edgy chracters/writing turned me off.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
It's Ok. Liked it but it's very "has potential and does nothing with it".
Really liked the second one though because i like RC stuff.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I gotta give it another try. The downgrade annoyed me but I had fun with what little I played of it. And yeah, it still looks surprisingly good for a game that's almost a decade old.

as a chicagoan the way it was represented in game actually makes it a shit game for me. even driver did a better representation of chicago and that was a ps1 game.

Curious, never been to Chicago, what are the issues with the way it was represented?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017

Amen

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
The gunplay is the best one in the series. Aidens animations are reallly well done, specially the executions. Stealth and base infiltration are very fun, with lots of things to hack and options to deal with enemies
Yeah, the combat was a lot better, and actually felt like a semi-competent 3rd person covershooter, unlike the other games where it felt like actually having to use guns was punishment for not hacking and droning hard enough. And on that note, the hacking actually felt a lot better integrated into the combat flow, as opposed to the later games, where it took the main focus and became a bit clunkier as it bowed under the stress off all the different systems for it.

Especially in the car chases, in WD 1 it felt viable to just use a couple hacks with the stoplights or a mass blackout to distract them long enough to turn the corner and slink down in the vehicle as they ran by. In the later games it felt like you were bombastically blowing up the streets and using other cars as projectiles as they had some sort of psychic reckoning of where you were, and you had to play the usual GTA yackity sax to blow them up and outrange the next wave of reinforcements

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Yes. That grime and darkness was great.
Each installment has felt different and a downgrade in gun play.

The sequel felt like a non lethal game. And Legion? Who needs guns with a cargo drone.