• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Cheese is definitely the thing burger places will screw up most often, but usually only when the item is called "cheeseburger" as opposed to "add cheese" option. And often the receipt reflects "no cheese" but the overworked person in the back either didn't understand it or doesn't care. For this reason I won't order a "cheeseburger with no cheese" unless it's a unique burger with special toppings I want like green chile. It's fine, I'm resigned to it at this point.

The real insult is when you get the cheeseburger, send it back because you specifically said no cheese, and then it comes back and they just scraped it off. As if I couldn't have scraped it off myself. You can't remove melted cheese or mayonnaise from an item once it's on there, and the bun is definitely ruined too.

Oct 25, 2017
Love cheese on mine but HATE American Cheese on it. Thankfully most good burger places (non-fast food) now offer a variety of cheese.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I think the problem is that even though it is rang up right, they still precook a lot of this stuff and just assume everyone can tolerate that disgusting garbage. It being online or not doesn't matter.

They just assume cheese is a fairly inoffensive thing and just drop it on there anyway. Almost like muscle memory. But IT IS a problem. A very BIG PROBLEM.

This is huge.

Having worked in a ton of restaurants in my life, even if they are pre-cooking the burger, I highly doubt they are pre-assembling it. Not a single restaurant I ever worked at had pre-assembled burgers. Just the meat cooked and in a warmer.

The real problem is the special order, when you are getting paid next to nothing, over worked and behind 3 orders, the first thing that gets overlooked at a fast food place is any of the ridiculous special order stuff on a ticket.

Not that no cheese is ridiculous, but people get absurd with the adds/subtracts on a 1 dollar cheeseburger and it gets overlooked a lot.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I hate how putting cheese on everything seems to be the default now. I remember growing up when it was something you had to ask (and pay extra) for.

Honestly, my issue isn't really even just that they put cheese on everything, but that they put so much or the wrong kind so that it overwhelms everything else. Like, if I'm eating a cheeseburger, I still be able to taste the fucking meat and other toppings instead of having the sensation as if I'm just eating a block of cheese. If I wanted that much cheese, I would've ordered a cheestick or something.

I don't hate cheese, but I don't love it either so doing this kind of shit is not doing any favors.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it when people customize food and it usually holds everything up for the rest of us. Eat it the way they make it. It's just fussy nonsense to me.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Everyone making fun of the cheese-intolerant has some tasty food or ingredient they detest, and they consider that dislike completely normal. Please take the cheese log out of your own eye.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
This is why I never make special orders (yes, anything that changes what's on the menu is a special order regardless of "difficulty").

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I don't like it when people customize food and it usually holds everything up for the rest of us. Eat it the way they make it. It's just fussy nonsense to me.
There are a shitload of valid reasons for people to need to customize their orders. My wife is vegetarian and our good friend has celiac and when the three of us go out, it's pretty wild how much easier it is for me to just "eat it the way they make it." I have all sorts of weird food related things that may come across as fussy nonsense but they will absolutely make it impossible for me to eat a meal if they're done wrong. I deserve to enjoy my food too.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that. I'm lactose intolerant. I'll only eat cheese on a burger if it is a fancy burger. Anything less and I refuse. If I'm going to suffer, I want to suffer for quality.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
If you eat it with cheese enough times, you'll foster a community of gut bacteria that will make you crave more cheese. Problem solved.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I would love to go to a place that actually really gives me cheeses and extra cuz every place here charges anywhere from 40 to 75 cents for cheese.

Now I get it it's an annoying thing to get extra and like I mentioned in the previous paragraph it's fucking expensive I don't need to have extra if I don't really want to pay for it...

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Same I also dont get cheese on my pizza. Fuck cheese.

I can understand that some people don't like cheese, but I'm surprised that anyone would order pizza without cheese. I would have assumed that someone who hates cheese would by extension also hate pizza, since cheese is widely considered to be an integral part of the pizza.

So what do you get on it?

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Whenever I go through the drive thru, I have one. Simple. Ask.

"no cheese on that burger, PLEASE."

Emphasis on please.

"Yea sure."

They say.

I drive up to the window. All of the wonderful smells of fries and burgers with bacon coming through the window as I hand over my card for payment. They quickly handover my drink first. A sweet tea... if you must know. They are charging my card. My heart rate is rising. My anxiety is through the roof. They hand over my card and say, "just a moment" while handing me back my card, now accompanied by a short receipt with a survey on it. I get even more nervous.

No... I'm not worried about my payment. You see... I am ordering a very special burger. My burger is being asked for without cheese. This is huge. And there is a 90% chance they will fuck it up.

Anyways, they hand me my bag. I trust them this time. I look in the bag as I'm pulling away and the next foodie drives up behind me to receive their delicious, artery clogging meal. My heart sinks. I can already smell it.

There's cheese.

tom-y-jerry-tom-and-jerry.gif

I start to break down. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. I don't know what I expected I guess. Maybe I shouldn't have to tear apart my bag of food and check if there is that disgusting yellow piece of plastic attached into my burger's patty? Maybe I should just be able to go home and open my bag an don't be surprised? Maybe I just want to be like normal people? Maybe I don't want to get home and have to use a butter knife to scrape that nasty mess off my burger? I deserve a hot meal like everyone else. I shouldn't have to get surgical with this shit.

I'm so done. I'm so fucking done. I'm fucking crying. I now start to think about other things that depress me and how much of a failure I am.

I am hurting.
Your first mistake was thinking a fast food drive thru is a place foodies go.

ReclusiveHaze

Sep 1, 2022
I only order hamburgers plain, just meat and bun. Nothing else. I have a terrible gag reflex and react horribly to certain flavors and textures. I probably have some sort of eating disorder but can't afford to go to a doctor to confirm that.

The one thing I've learned is to state and emphasize, "Hamburger, plain with nothing on it. Just meat and bun" and 9 times out of 10 the order will be right.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Order a hamburger instead? Like.......I wasn't aware there's a default of cheese. Those are cheeseburgers. A lot of places actually add a charge for cheese....

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
At McDonalds I order a quarter pounder meal, no cheese please. I've been doing this for decades, I don't think there is a quarter pound hamburger without cheese option, you have to delete the cheese. It isn't that I don't like cheese, I'll gladly eat a chicken parmigiana sandwich, it is just a thing I like.

This is a fun reddit thread similar to this topic.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
1. I can't remember the last time I ate a plain hamburger. If it's not a cheeseburger, fuck off.
2. Order a hamburger, not a cheeseburger. Easy. Most places charge more for cheese on a burger, I have no idea what places you're going that so adamantly want to force what is usually a charged extra topping on you for free.
3. They're not trying to rob you. They're trying to help you.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I have a similar problem, but with sour cream at Taco Bell. I don't know why, but sour cream disgusts me. They have a few items I like that include sour cream, I order them without sour cream, at least half the time the sour cream is in there. I always order a backup item like a bean burrito just in case. Sometimes they even put sour cream into items that aren't supposed to have sour cream, like a chalupa or even a damn taco.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My ex was like this but she was insistent on ordering a cheeseburger with no cheese and always got mad when it was wrong. I would always tell her to order a hamburger and she wouldn't have this issue bit she never listened.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I also order my burgers with no cheese, but I wouldn't say errors are common at all. Stop ordering from shitty burger places I guess?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Love cheese but OP is becoming one of my favorite posters. Needs to team up with Fat4all.

I feel that. I'm lactose intolerant. I'll only eat cheese on a burger if it is a fancy burger. Anything less and I refuse. If I'm going to suffer, I want to suffer for quality.
Does Lactaid not work?

My ex was like this but she was insistent on ordering a cheeseburger with no cheese and always got mad when it was wrong. I would always tell her to order a hamburger and she wouldn't have this issue bit she never listened.

This is the reason she is your ex right?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember in the Animorphs show from my childhood, the secret code to get into the alien hideout beneath the fast food chain was "Two cheeseburgers - hold the cheese."

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like cheese at all and have pulled those yellow squares off of countless burgers.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
They are not chopped, steamed onions. They are re-hydrated dry husk that was once part of a onion.

Forgive them for trying to serve you a real, unprocessed food item.
if they had chopped it up and cooked it, that would be fine. I'm not lying when i say there was a ridiculous pile of raw onions on top of one of those tiny regular McDonalds cheeseburgers.

It wouldnt have killed them to shake some extra dehydrated onion on the thing if that's all it was, but instead i get the fast food server version of a middle finger because...(?) They didn't know and didn't want to disappoint me, or perhaps spite.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how putting cheese on everything seems to be the default now. I remember growing up when it was something you had to ask (and pay extra) for.

I don't hate cheese, but I don't love it either so doing this kind of shit is not doing any favors.
it isn't even for our benefit, its just that the cheese is so cheap, because it's shitty American cheese, and once upon a time it was thought of as a bonus, so it's literally just stupid capitalist psychology. Giving us free cheese is just a marketing thing, and including a margin of error for them to fuck up NOT getting cheese because it's so worthless just underlines the point.

If it was cheddar or something you can bet your ass you'd have to pay extra.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
it isn't even for our benefit, its just that the cheese is so cheap, because it's shitty American cheese, and once upon a time it was thought of as a bonus, so it's literally just stupid capitalist psychology. Giving us free cheese is just a marketing thing, and including a margin of error for them to fuck up NOT getting cheese because it's so worthless just underlines the point.

If it was cheddar or something you can bet your ass you'd have to pay extra.
Some people do actually like cheese on their burger, even American cheese. I wouldn't even want to eat a burger without cheese, it's a flavor thing. It's not just Capitalism or whatever you know that right?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Some people do actually like cheese on their burger, even American cheese. I wouldn't even want to eat a burger without cheese, it's a flavor thing. It's not just Capitalism or whatever you know that right?
putting cheese on everything by default because "everyone likes cheese, it's a net positive" is probably capitalism.

i'm not anti cheese, so i guess enjoy your sandwich.

I might not even be anti-capitalism, if it wasn't so dysfunctionally late stage, conserving quality for maximum profit type crap literally every minute.

you know there's grades of American cheese? You know the crap we get at the fast food places is like just about average? Why, if they cared don't they get better American cheese? because of capitalism.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand that some people don't like cheese, but I'm surprised that anyone would order pizza without cheese. I would have assumed that someone who hates cheese would by extension also hate pizza, since cheese is widely considered to be an integral part of the pizza.

So what do you get on it?
I get whatever pizza I want minus cheese. Cheeseless pizzas are a thing. Pizza actually started out with no cheese iirc