plow

Oct 28, 2017
So it might be that im in the minority here, but i don't like the direction the whole media insdustry is going.
So just to be clear, i know that GamePass is amazing value and mind you i use Netflix a lot. But i don't want to spend 60-70 bucks every month for every different publisher that decides to offer a service. Ubisoft, Activision, EA, Square, Sony, MS, Nintendo.

Some of you will say "...eh well then don't use it lol. You can still buy the game on Blu Ray". Yes that's true but the value of a Blu Ray game will drop significantly. I can get 8 Seasons of Game of Thrones for 10 Bucks instead of paying what 300?

"That's why the Services are so good dude"

Agreed if we had one Service containing all games. But not like this.

And what will the future hold? I mean if we take a look at Netflix or Amazon Prime etc. we have like a new Series/Season every Month. The market is so saturated to a point where it is gluttony.

It will be the same with the gaming market. Publishers will drop a game every single month to get users into their services and it will be the same situation.

I don't want the possibility to play 100 good games a year, i'm not even able to finish 3. I want to play 2 really good games, and i want to do it in 10-15 years too without having the feeling that i spend to much money on it.

That's a lot of text and i'm not entirely sure if i explained myself properly.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
it's ok you can just buy the games you want to play the service isn't for everyone

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree with you, though we're in the minority

A lot of people prefer convenience over ownership, which is fine, not everyone has the same priorities

Buying games outright isn't going to go away any time soon though

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
Is your concern that the existence of these services stops publishers from releasing individual copies for sale?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what the big deal is, don't subscribe to any/all that you aren't interested in and buy what you want.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Games are not exclusive to these services. You can still buy them individually. So do that if you don't want a sub.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I just sub and un-sub based on what I currently want to play. It's not like I'm that likely to use more than one service in a month.
It's working out well for me.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If you are only playing 2 games a year, then buying just those 2 games seems to be your solution.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I absolutely love physically owning both games and movies, so I am not a huge fan of subscription services either. I use Netflix but it's only for the original stuff only on Netflix, oddly enough I also have Gamepass and I have yet to even play a game on it, and I have had it for months.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Some of you will say "...eh well then don't use it lol. You can still buy the game on Blu Ray". Yes that's true but the value of a Blu Ray game will drop significantly. I can get 8 Seasons of Game of Thrones for 10 Bucks instead of paying what 300?

What do you even mean by this?

If the value drops then they'll have to drop the price of physical media / non subscription versions of games.

Win/win.. like I'm not seeing any actual argument here against the "just buy games then" concept.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer owning my games, but if people who like the subscription models then more power to them. As long as there is a freedom to choose what you want to do and everyone is happy.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
internet is too expensive and shit in america for me to ever go full streaming for anything.
if you could bundle home and mobile internet into one lowcost without caps maybe it wouldnt be so bad.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
But i don't want to spend 60-70 bucks every month for every different publisher that decides to offer a service. Ubisoft, Activision, EA, Square, Sony, MS, Nintendo.

Why would you ever need to get all of those at once anyways? Most months just a single subscription would stasify me, at most I wouldn't need more than two at a time. I would treat them like I do with HBO, subscribe for a month or two to watch a show I want to watch and then cancel until something else interesting pops up.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i would wait until they actually are the majority of the market before i panic. streaming and services arent new to gaming. the hooplah around them is just louder this time.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It sucks ya but gotta adapt eventually if not now but in the future since can't change the inevitable unfortunately

Holding out off of getting into subscriptions myself as long as it takes

Edit: first part reference not only to gaming but tv/movies too

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So you're complaining that you have to pay less?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
No one will ever make a good argument against these services as long as choice of buying them is still there. Slippery slope arguments are terrible too.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Fuck you for this option. It's confusing because I want it to be confusing for my argument.

I mean Xbox has its sub thing, EA has its sub thing and soon Ubisoft what's next?
I don't want more options..games should be $60 and that's my argument anything else is too much!

Knoss

Jun 29, 2018
Spain
Buy the games you want to play and let others enjoy the subscriptions if they want to. What's the problem here?

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer owning my games, but if people who like the subscription models then more power to them. As long as there is a freedom to choose what you want to do and everyone is happy.

This.

People are so close minded, this reminds about the early digital era discussions; "We don't want this", "Hope this fails", "Digital is going to replace my physical games" and other bullshits.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a value proposition. You pay $120 a year for a rotating collection of hundreds of games and a bunch of mainstays, or you buy two games at full price.
You can simply opt out, but subscriptions allow EA, MS, Sony and others to keep releasing content at a good rate and not have a clunker of a title ruin the financial outlook for them or their shareholders. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!?! - "well we have 31 million paying subscribers - we do that monthly."

It is a win/win. I still buy blu-rays, but we have TV service, Netflix, Prime and Hulu. Same concept.
I don't think you should be upset about it, or feel pressured by the amount of services out there. You either opt in and receive the benefits or opt out.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer ownership as well, but having spent $1 on Game Pass I can tell you that it's saving me money. Now I'm no longer interested in purchasing some of the games I had the opportunity to check out.

As long as publishers don't get greedier (yeah right) and sour the subscription model, I don't have a problem.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you even mean by this?

If the value drops then they'll have to drop the price of physical media / non subscription versions of games.

Win/win.. like I'm not seeing any actual argument here against the "just buy games then" concept.

I... think the argument is something about a race to the bottom in terms of effects it might have in terms of quantity over quality? In order to attract consumers the fear might be that it's important to pad the catalog with a large number of titles instead of focusing on creating a premium product worth the full price of admission.

Mind you, I'm also not entirely understanding the reasoning here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I'm not too fond of using video game subscription models. I usually play only one or two single player games a month and don't usually but at full price, so a lot of those services aren't actually a deal for me. But also I think having access to so many games makes me indecisive—which is why I have a relatively small backlog and don't buy very much before I know I will start playing it within a week.

Video streaming works a bit better for me cuz I just have it play in the background as I do other stuff—what I put that time into doesn't matter as much as a game that requires all my attention.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I don't "subscribe" to the idea that the value of physical drops because of subscriptions. If you buy a physical release, it's in your collection. You can do whatever you want with it. But if it's on a subscription service, it could be taken off anytime, you usually can't access it if you're not online, and you have to keep paying the fee to keep even that limited access. With subscriptions you're basically paying for nothing, so physical is always better value.

Oct 26, 2017
Subscription model is just another way to access games, like physical media, digital and streaming.

No one is cancelling your full priced plastic boxes.

Oct 25, 2017
I... think the argument is something about a race to the bottom in terms of effects it might have in terms of quantity over quality? In order to attract consumers the fear might be that it's important to pad the catalog with a large number of titles instead of focusing on creating a premium product worth the full price of admission.

This is certainly an actual concern I have about incentivizing quantity, but I was also unable to follow OP's argument.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I also don't like subscriptions. But I still pay for Netflix. I resist paying for Prime/HBO/Game Pass/Live/PSN.

My rule is just 15USD per month for entertainment. If I want to play online, I cancel Netflix. This is my immovable rule. 15USD perhaps less but never ever more

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't really understand your argument, especially when you get to the point where you say that publishers will drop too many good games because they want people to continue to subscribe, like that's a bad thing.

I could understand if your argument was shifting the model to sub-only entirely may squeeze out some games and developers who can't get traction and will get lost in the shuffle of an all encompassing service.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Bully for you. Nobody is taking away the option to buy games at full price individually. I for one like being subscribed to Game Pass in order to sample a variety of different games I would have never paid for otherwise.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Ah yeah that might be it.

But.. the industry if anything is doing the opposite. Moving towards trying to create even bigger games that gamers dedicate themselves too and buy microtransactions and DLC for endlessly. That includes Ubisoft who are one of a handful of current pubs offering a sub.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
With me, if Sony can do it, and maintain their first party games still being as high quality as Uc4, God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spiderman, then thats cool. If its going to negatively affect the quality of the games like how i view MS first party games on gamepass, then no. Keep that sub service as far away from Playstation as possible. I dont want it or need it. Ill gladly like everyone else pay the $60 price tag for Sony first party games, if thats the case.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I agree OP - but I think until they actually take away the right to buy, we're probably ok.

It is already pretty crazy on origin though - like you have to navigate through several steps to find the buy button, while fending off multiple attempts to just get you to sub to Access. That kind of behaviour has me a bit concerned that a future where there are sub exclusives is very possible.