• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Moved back to my mom's house while I look for a job after living in China for 8 years. She's out in the sticks and it takes about 14 miles to get to some semblance of civilization.

I don't know how long I can last....I hope I get a good job soon because I'm fucking out of here once I do.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
it depends where you live. rural living in nebraska != rural living in colorado != rural living in maine != rural living in alabama. I'd love to spend a while living in the mountains or by the ocean or something

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if you're young and single, seems like one of the worse options around. Unless you own a ranch and love that type of living.

But if you're a young and single careerist, it doesn't sound that great.

It's why those places are bleeding youth.

I know of a guy that bought a farm. He works for himself and has a young family. He loves it.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me neither, but then again, rents in my city are unafforable as it is, so please stay where you are.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Some people love the silence and being away from a big city. I'd rather live in a rural area as long as it's close to a big city.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Ah well you can't understand everything

I love this response for some reason

I mean, whenever I hear someone say that, they're invariably white old conservatives who don't like the idea of living near gays and brown people...

Some people can also prefer to live cheaper or be stuck with anxiety disorders where they feel overwhelmed by the population or just want to see the fucking stars. I get trying to paint it that way but this doesn't hold up. LGBT+ can also prefer to live quiet, rural lives.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
After being around people all fucking day, it's nice to get away from it all. Also, it's great for backyard astronomy.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
all I know is I don't wanna share walls with people anymore. I 100% can see the appeal of living rural.

weird how my view shifted. when I was younger I wanted to live closer to going out more. now that I'm a bit older all I want is a nice house, and to not have to deal with noise and crime.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
It's quiet and peaceful. It's really all about the simple things, like being able to see the stars in the night sky instead of millions of lights. It's about hearing wildlife and not just pigeons and stray cats/dogs.

Also like way less rules and worries about bothering people around you. Want to have a bonfire? Go for it, no one will care. Want to blast music? Who's gonna tell you not to, the home owners association? Please.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I am always very uncomfortable visiting my moms house for more than a day or two because she lives in the middle of nowhere but it's all she's ever really known. There's plenty of people that would say they don't understand how people could live in large cities. It's just that people are different.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like living in a rural area, that's cool. Everybody's entitled to their own preferences.

If you literally can't understand why other people's preferences are different from yours, you need to educate yourself and work on your empathy.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
"I don't understand how people could live in the city."

I can do this too.
Except the city has food, entertainment, jobs, cellphone service, actual people... I don't get signal in the house and the internet we do have is shit and prone to break. Closest grocery store is 15 miles away. I don't want to drive 20 minutes + Everytime I want ice cream or some shit.

Naku

Nov 10, 2017
You don't understand or you don't agree with their opinion? There's a difference.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Except the city has food, entertainment, jobs, cellphone service, actual people... I don't get signal in the house and the internet we do have is shit and prone to break. Closest grocery store is 15 miles away. I don't want to drive 20 minutes + Everytime I want ice cream or some shit.

I understand. I was commenting on your opinion that you literally can't understand why someone would want to live away from a city.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I live in rural upstate NY. We have supermarkets and Walmart (sadly the option up here, but we try to avoid it as much as possible) within a 20 minute drive, and if we want, we can drive an hour to more major cities. I love it. It has a balance of quiet but still fairly convenient. I come from Long Island and I can't imagine going back or ever living in a city.

To each one's own, of course. I love not having to deal with traffic or noise and light pollution. I love that I can afford to get a decent house at a low price with large acreage for me to explore and garden and for future kids to play.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Metropolitan lifestyle can be very dreadful, stressful... Just awful. Kinda explains why some of their citizens have a hell of a mood.

I live somewhere in the middle of a super city and a rural town and I'm 100 percent good with it

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Living out in the country is amazing! The most freedom, peace, and fun I've ever had was when I lived on a huge property. Living in the city sucks.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 14 miles might as well be like the moon or something right?
It is when in China I could walk wherever I want to and use a bus for when I can't. Now I get to pay attention to the boring fucking road for 20+ minutes. And if I want to go to the city it's about an hour away. The semblance of civilization is just another small town with a Walmart. I need to get out of here ASAP. And driving on the roads is just nothing but trash to either side because people *love to be in nature* but don't actually respect it. Best way to respect nature is to not live in it.

Sep 28, 2018
I am the complete opposite. Cities are grimy, smelly, loud and crowded places... Whenever I have to make the trip into town I come home feeling like I need to wash.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I don't know how people love living close to each other with traffic and noise pollution, but each their own OP. I love my big yard, isolation, and quietness. Also, i can piss outside when i want too, so that's the biggest positive.
I am the complete opposite. Cities are grimy, smelly, loud and crowded places... Whenever I have to make the trip into town I come home feeling like I need to wash.

Yep i was walking around downtown Nashville last year with my fiance and all i could think was this place looks like a dump. Give me fields and woods anyday.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Some people don't like the idea of living stacked one person on top of the other.

Personally, I prefer the suburbs. It's not too far from the city and it doesn't take twenty minutes to get anywhere.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I lived in the country for a couple years as a teen. To me it's hell on earth... but I know from the viewpoints of my friends who lived there, that's how they feel about the big, scary, loud city. People like what they know, I guess.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If the OP can't even cell reception, he's definitely in a very rural area. It's not the suburbs.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Fortunately in Europe we have a lot of towns and cities built really close together among all the nature, with very high people per square kilometre, with the infrastructure to connect it all, so you can live in the country side, but you can be in the nearest city or small city any where from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, and there is a town at least every 5km away from each other.

e.g I lived 30km away from München, I just took the train every day that ran between it and Nürnberg, it stopped at many towns along the way, one of them was mine, was in and out of München each day quickly for work. Same applies to rest of Germany.

Impossible to live in the middle of nowhere - because everything is readily and closely available, but you can still live around nature nicely, like here in Baden-Württemberg, the Schwäbisch region, many do not want to live in the city of Stuttgart when you can live around the towns surrounded by the hills covered in vineyards and forest, and for cheaper! Stuttgart might only be like 15km away, that is nothing. Cities can also be depressing, I like living away from it where I can just go walk in the forest/woodland etc, it helps with my mental health to get out that way. No car, no problem, bus, trams, trains, we have excellent public transport, even the smallest towns have a bus that runs through it once every hour going towards the city.

Granted, I do not think I could live rural USA-style as you mention, I like living in the country side Europe-style, where if I want, I have easy and quick access to the city/metropolitan area.

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I love both. Grew up in deep countryside North Carolina and currently live in SF. I love the convenience and culture of urbanity but relish the peace and seclusion of the countryside. That's why I love the Japanese countryside for vacations. We've got a house on a remote Seto sea island that is as peaceful as it gets. They are literally giving away houses in the Japanese countryside for free.

Suburbs are the only places that I dislike. Too many people for serenity, too little amenities for convenience. Only thing people can do is drink, have sex, and start drama. I guess it's good if you have younger kids so they have more people to hang out with and it's generally safe, but that leads to teenagers and teenagers are the worst in suburbs.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I like the concept of rural living, but I don't think I'd ever do it until it was something like retirement.

Assuming you have reliable internet/electricity/indoor plumbing, I don't see many issues aside from lack of jobs.

I'd just have weekly/bi-weekly supply runs.

Oct 29, 2017
I can actually see myself enjoying rural living in a distant future.

Not now though lol. Way too many career/dating aspirations to just sit out in the middle of nowhere.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
As I get older, after getting married, I can understand it more and more. As long as whatever rural setting you're in has a solid internet connection, it's like my dream to live away from other people.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

This is basically how I grew up. No internet, no cable, neighbors were a half mile away. I miss it.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
City is awful.
Riding pubic transit is depressing.
Grid locked traffic is torture.
People everywhere. Ugh.

Rural and good internet is where its at.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's a pretty big cliche. I dont know you don't understand it. I'd be surprised if you hadn't already heard something along the lines of "peace and quiet in nature away from the loud chaotic city" 100 times before.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm a married homosexual man and I love the idea of having a big house on a big piece of land away from a city. I want quiet.

But suburban living doesn't sound awful either assuming the lots are large enough. City living is a hard pass from me.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean, whenever I hear someone say that, they're invariably white old conservatives who don't like the idea of living near gays and brown people...

Fucking idiotic statement. I don't need stats to show how stupid that was, but here they are anyhow.

E2-A45-F26-3-A10-4-BF4-8-DF8-7-F10-F2-F7-D07-F.png

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I see the appeal of Rural living having grown up in that environment. Unfortunately it takes on an extremely negative connotation when you realize it's all white, and the abundant racism you encounter

Now the lack of internet, food, diversity, culture etc hurts.