• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I only live close to people so that I can have decent internet.

I would be rural with no neighbors in a fucking heartbeat.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Please don't rub it in. I wasn't being fascetious or exaggerating.

You're lucky though

Sorry, wasn't rubbing in it. I get it, and I understand why people won't live rural for that reason. Our family, who only live a few miles away, all have satellite internet, it's awful. We stayed with them a few months while we were house shopping, it was tough. Someday infrastructure will improve.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Sorry, wasn't rubbing in it. I get it, and I understand why people won't live rural for that reason. Our family, who only live a few miles away, all have satellite internet, it's awful. We stayed with them a few months while we were house shopping, it was tough. Someday infrastructure will improve.

I know you weren't really meaning to.

It's just something I obsess about that makes my depression worse, and makes it difficult to drive by new subdivisions. It's part of my mental illness. Makes it harder to live.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in a small town with mostly trees for neighbors as a kid, and I honestly liked it a lot. I'm not sure if I like nature because I grew up in that environment or if I like that environment because I like nature, but either way, it worked out well for me.

These days I live in the suburbs and work in the city, but I'd happily go back to rural living. I'm pretty introverted, so it's OK if I am not constantly surrounded by friends - hanging out once or twice a week is fine. I like cooking and try to keep my eating out to a minimum. I do most of my shopping online anyhow, except for groceries (and rural areas tend to have cool farmers' markets and such).

Of course, I had a decent internet connection for most of my youth (at least after we ditched dialup), and reasonably easy access to stores and movies in nearby-ish cities with 20-30min of driving. I think lacking those things would make rural living a rough proposition for me.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Living in the city also has a ton of drawbacks. If I can help it I'll never live in the city again. I love sitting on my back deck, eating breakfast, and watching the deer pick at foliage. I get to enjoy this in a 4000 square foot house for the price I would pay for a 900 square foot condo downtown.

I mean if you disproportionately exaggerate the drawback of city living, sure. Then there is the halfway point of the suburbs.

Drawbacks for some. I like it here. And to me cities have more cons than pros.

No, drawbacks for most, as I said earlier those areas are hemorrhaging population and drugs problems on the rise there due to lack of economic activity. Rural living is in the minority for a reason.

Vast majority of people do actually want the benefits of both, which is the suburbs, which actually causes serious problems for the cities lol.

Once again, I don't actually dislike the city. I was pointing out how the OPs point is entirely subjective.

I get that is what you are getting at and countered the idea that its entirely subjective when tons of people are leaving those areas.

Sure rural living sounds great, but once the economic realities set in, it really does make one wonder why anyone except people who want total isolation (which isnt exactly healthy) would want to live there.

I lived in rural areas of VA and in NYC. I can see no benefit to the rural area except exclusion. One can hike and shit if they want to see nature, dont require living in rural areas.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
how do you not have bugs or dogs in a city.

Oh you definitely do, I just feel like there's more of them the further away you get (also, I meant animals in general not necessarily dogs specially because there might actually be more dogs in a city than you'd encounter if your neighbors are miles away). Like I can barely tolerate an urban amount of wildlife, no way I'd survive the country.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, whenever I hear someone say that, they're invariably white old conservatives who don't like the idea of living near gays and brown people...
You should visit more rural areas, or at least do so with a more open mind.

I grew up in the suburbs, spent my post college in a city (Baltimore) and now live in a rural area. I would not move back to the city or the suburbs if you paid me. I live on a small farm with a small flock of sheep, raise my own vegetables in the spring through the fall, and get to leave the noise of DC (where I work) to go back to the peace of my farm. I would probably go insane if I had to move back to a city where I heard sirens almost every hour, dealt with crowds and crowds of people or even just my suburban neighbors talking on their porch at 3am.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you people even date in rural areas? It's hard enough finding a date in a big city on tinder etc. Can't imagine trying to find one in rural areas.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Fortunately in Europe we have a lot of towns and cities built really close together among all the nature, with very high people per square kilometre, with the infrastructure to connect it all, so you can live in the country side, but you can be in the nearest city or small city any where from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, and there is a town at least every 5km away from each other.

e.g I lived 30km away from München, I just took the train every day that ran between it and Nürnberg, it stopped at many towns along the way, one of them was mine, was in and out of München each day quickly for work. Same applies to rest of Germany.

Impossible to live in the middle of nowhere - because everything is readily and closely available, but you can still live around nature nicely, like here in Baden-Württemberg, the Schwäbisch region, many do not want to live in the city of Stuttgart when you can live around the towns surrounded by the hills covered in vineyards and forest, and for cheaper! Stuttgart might only be like 15km away, that is nothing. Cities can also be depressing, I like living away from it where I can just go walk in the forest/woodland etc, it helps with my mental health to get out that way. No car, no problem, bus, trams, trains, we have excellent public transport, even the smallest towns have a bus that runs through it once every hour going towards the city.

Granted, I do not think I could live rural USA-style as you mention, I like living in the country side Europe-style, where if I want, I have easy and quick access to the city/metropolitan area.

Germany != Europe. There are countries with huge land areas in europe with a lot of rural areas such as the scandinavian / nordic countries.

Oct 30, 2017
I lived in the city/suburbs when I was younger.

I'm older, I don't need to party every weekend.
I enjoy the space of the garden, land for keeping chickens and growing a bit of my food.

Easy access to big walks with the dog

No noisy neighbours or shit heads.

And that 20+ minute drive into town isn't too big a deal really

Living rural is bloody attractive as you get older to some folks

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the more the years go by, the more i'd like to live in a nice little town. im from a small town and my mother took us to the city when i was fairly young so i've lived in cities basically my whole life and only go back when visiting family.

unfortunately there tend to be lots of racist or homophobic types in places like that but it doesnt change the fact that living away from the cities has been growing in appeal for me. if awful ppl werent there i'd love to stay forever

i went to be with family during last thanksgiving, and when i went outside while the food was being prepared it was just so... quiet... so easy to walk across the street without needing to look around for traffic and just get to a store

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I move to suburban area twice, it was turn out to be city with metro line and shit later, twice.......
(Benefit is now I'm living next to IMAX)

Watch me move to mountain town next, maybe it will turn out to be tourist trap hub later.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer suburbs, since it's an in-between: not in the middle of nowhere, and super close to food/shopping. It's like less than a 5 min drive to get to a mall and tons of places to eat. I just couldn't stand a city. Too loud, too many people. I like having a bit of space/pricacy. Places I've stayed in the city (with windows open cause too hot and no AC) have drunk people shouting at night, cops arresting homeless, and all sorts of loud noise. I'm a light sleeper, so it's awful.

Grew up in small town (not on the rural end), but prefer living where there's more stuff too do, but still in a quiet area.

Everyone likes different things.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a married homosexual man and I love the idea of having a big house on a big piece of land away from a city. I want quiet.

But suburban living doesn't sound awful either assuming the lots are large enough. City living is a hard pass from me.
yeah ive noticed lots of gay people want that kind of life too. i know its what i want for me..

i always see lesbians talking about having a quaint little farm with some animals out in a tiny town where they know everybody. its a bit of a faraway fantasy for most though unfortunately

the city isnt really all its cracked up to be

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've always been a suburbs kind of person.

But I think when I'm older I'd like to retire to a more rural place.

Not too rural, mind you. I still want my boardgame group. So maybe myself and a few friends will retire to a rural place, and we'll be our little pocket of people.

Texas is great for that - you can be "rural" only 20 minutes from a major city. Wish we had something like that in California. I'd have no problem adding 20 minutes to my commute each way if it meant I could live in peace and quiet.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up rural and I hated it. You can't do anything without running into somebody. It's like a high school reunion just going grocery shopping. Plus, everybody's really judgmental.

I much prefer the anonymity of the city now. Living in an apartment sucks compared to living in a house, but it's the price you pay, I guess.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
You mean, how could one possibly enjoy life in a place where your neighbours noises won't be bothering you, nor yours bothering them, where you can spend entire months without hearing any siren of any sort, where you can open yours windows are breath fresh air that do not reek of barbecue or gas ?

Yeah, no idea.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
How do I get one of these houses

Be legally allowed to live in Japan, and spend some time out in the countryside. Even our island (Heigun) has 2 ryokan that guests can stay at (though rarely anyone does). One in the east island village and one in the west island village. Our house is on the west side. Stay there a while and people will start offering. Though they'd expect you to live there. If you look online in general you'll find remote houses for a couple grand. Lots of little towns out there where this happens. They are remote and inconvenient though. Also, no one speaks any english out there.

O rly? Rats and bed bugs dont count as nature.

The large parks in many major cities are pretty much the real deal. Golden Gate park in SF doesn't count in my opinion, though it has a lot of quiet places, but presidio and mount davidson do.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I lived near a University and couldn't stand the drunk students wondering around at 2 in the morning.
I lived in a small farming town and couldn't stand the dumb racist idiots.

I'm not sure where to go next.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Rural living seems like something that would interest me more when I get older. I do get the appeal, though.

A nice suburban area is the best for me. Somewhere quiet where you can own an acre of land and have plenty of privacy, but still keep commercial districts within comfortable driving distance. (10-15 mins) Absolutley love where I am right now.

I hate city living and, despite having close friends that do it, I still don't understand the appeal. I'll never do it again. Cities like Boston, DC, and LA are fun to be a tourist in because they're set up well for it, but I'd never be able to go about day-to-day living there. Most cities I've been to like NYC and Philly are irredeemable shitholes. Loud, filthy, and congested.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I think my sweet spot is 10-15 minutes away from the suburbs, which is 10-15 minutes away from the city. Granted most of the "cities" I'm talking about are small.

I lived near a University and couldn't stand the drunk students wondering around at 2 in the morning.
I lived in a small farming town and couldn't stand the dumb racist idiots.

I'm not sure where to go next.

giphy.gif

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I'm bi, young, and asian and I totally see the appeal of rural living. Small community, no traffic, low anxiety. Less food options sure, but I've been trying to eat out less anyways.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The quiet and nature is absolutely great. If you live in Europe or some other place that's similar on that aspect there are also absolutely beautiful villages with historical houses and stuff. In some places you can also live in villages that are pretty close to urban centres which kinda gives you the best of both worlds.

On the other hand, sometimes amenities are not directly available and you need to drive a fair bit too get to them, it can be hard meeting people, you might be surrounded by conservative white people, there's no night life, you can't buy food from the Superette thats right next to your apartment building in the middle of the night, etc.

But even then, some of that really depends on where you live. For example, before coming to live in Auckland, I first grew up in a small French village of 800 people and then another of 3000. While the first town was literally 100% white, I went to school in the next town over (10k inhabitants) where half the kids in my classes were minorities. Likewise, my parents now live in a small NZ town that's over 60% Māori – a small town doesn't necessarily mean no diversity.

I also have really fond memories of playing in the forest with my friends growing up, and everything just being really safe in general.

I wouldn't be able to go back to live in a small town for an extended amount of time now... But under the right circumstances (get older, get married, get kids, get a remote job, find the right town), I wouldn't be against the idea.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Oh, you can definitely live in the middle of nowhere in certain parts of Germany.
Yes I know because I have an uncle that lives far up north in the middle of nowhere in MeckPomm :P but I feel this is more the exception and uncommon, and of course some far eastern parts.

Germany != Europe. There are countries with huge land areas in europe with a lot of rural areas such as the scandinavian / nordic countries.
Yes but from my experience at least in Norway not that many people live outside of metropolitan areas, but most rural places I were at were in Sogn og Fjordane.Norway has big swathes of uninhabited areas but majority of population stays nearby metropolitan areas, and of course all Scandinavian countries most population is at the south. In regards to U.S with this topic I gather that in the U.S a sizable part of the population make up the rural areas. In Europe not that many live in what we could call rural.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most interesting defenses of guns was this explanation that said that people in rural areas have to be more reliant because if a wolf attacks, health care is hours away. I'm like...maybe dont live far away from civiliation in fucking wolf country??

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm in a semi-rural community, parcels of land that are 1/4 acre, but we have a farm right on the border of the community. 10-15 minute drive from all the amenities that one needs, but practically no light pollution, hear coyotes howling at night and spot all sorts of wildlife running down our street. I wouldn't have it any other way, I used to love living in the city, but now I want a place to raise my family where I can know pretty much all my neighbours and enjoy the outdoors.

I hate going downtown now, it has zero interest to me. It's far less stressful never having to deal with traffic or the chaos that city living entails.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
People that live in the country have prepared what they need , to be where they are, so they don't need to constantly travel to get the things they want, which is why the travel requirement isn't as troubling. If you're out in the country and you want things and can't get them, and you have to travel distances to get to town, yeah it sucks.

the distance and the lessened influence of the greater population at large (not so much the people but the social power structures that come with them) are some of the reasons people choose rural living.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Rochester, NY isn't that large of a city, but there are parks and nature trails everywhere. One I can even see from my house and walk around all the time.

And larger nature areas are only like a 30 minute drive away.

Seconded.

And hello, friend. I'm in Perinton.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I love going back to my small home town, it's so relaxing. No crazy traffic, no stop lights, when I go to the store or gas station there are no lines and no noise. We just bought a new house in the suburbs. It's actually pretty quiet there and I have a big yard with at leat 20-30ft between my walls and my neighbors. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I love the peace and quiet of rural living. I also hate people and crowds. I grew to love it when I would visit my grandparents for weeks at a time who lived in rural Ohio.

I live in a rather suburban area so I'm ok with that too, but inner city living? Holy shit hell no.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Part of me likes to be alone and wants a big ass house and open land. A bunch of kids and pets.

But I'm born and raised and in NYC and it's hard to give that up. Still want a big ass house.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I grew up in a rural area and I miss it from time to time. I feel like my secluded suburb is a nice compromise.

Besides, who cares if it takes 15-20 minutes to get anywhere? In a cities like New York or Chicago it still takes the same amount of time to get anything done. Hell, in order to get to my friends's car in NYC it is a 15 minute walk, one way. Meanwhile, a 20 minute drive to get to a restaurant vs getting to the restaurant in 10 minutes but having to wait to be seated is all a wash anyway. Citiy life is basically "hurry up and wait". So much interdependency and reliance on a huge number of different systems. It gets to me after awhile and I am always happy to return home.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
It's not for me—and I know, because I grew up in a rural area—but it's not hard to understand. Some people value easy access to the amenities and lifestyle there, rather than the amenities and lifestyle of the city. Some people really like tending to some land, or keeping some animals (dogs, horses), or having easier access to hunt, fish, offroad, etc. Or they like the peace and quiet, or the smaller community of people around them. Or that's just where their extended family is, and they really value having their family close by and involved in their day-to-day life.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I have a little forest with birds singing in the spring / summer. I take care of it. I like to walk in it and medidate. In the morning the only sound I hear is the wind in the trees.

There are squirrels jumping around on my lawn. My daughters love them. They play outside and breath the fresh, clean air, as they capture insects and run around. I can hear their laughter from the opened window.
You're making me nauseous😜