SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I feel like the quality of a monster has a lot to do with the way it's shot, not just its design. That's what makes the Xenomorph so amazing. It's because Alien is amazing.

On a similar note, one of the best monster attack scenes ever:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Clickers (And the various other fungus zombies of TLOU)

d8h2xdm-90457bca-1814-41df-a2db-e69710b52174.jpg

Looks cool, instantly recognizable, cool twist on zombie tripe, sick sound design... What's not to love?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I didn't see From Beyond mentioned yet
tumblr_npjrnmCOLR1s1v3r1o4_r1_400.gif

tumblr_o1gosgLe301thcqj2o5_500.gif

gotta love Lovecraftian horrors. A mutated corpse from another dimension attempting to feed on minds. Hard to do it justice with the gifs available on a search

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Clickers (And the various other fungus zombies of TLOU)

Looks cool, instantly recognizable, cool twist on zombie tripe, sick sound design... What's not to love?
Gotta agree here. This are the coolest possible zombie designs that you can get and to make them better they make it realistic and beleivable. This disease is real in nature and that's what's absolutely terrifying about them 😭

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do you guys remember Virus (1999)? An alien computer virus starts taking over hardware on an isolated boat but progresses to taking over human flesh as well. Scared me shitless as a kid
latest

c6d929f199efd679ce0adda6fa0ff2fb099c490a.gifv

tumblr_o1681fcbuJ1tbcweeo1_400.gif

Wish I could find a better gif of its final form, that shit is scary

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to say the Tzimisce from Vampire/world of darkness. Think cenobite but also a vampire

tzimisce.jpg

The story quest that involves one in vampire the masquerade bloodlines 1 is still some of the most messed up things I've played. King's Way remains one of the grossest and unnerving locations in a game I experienced especially due to how normal and mundane it looks in the street

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's just artwork, its from this person:
andreewallin.com

Misc Client Work — Andrée Wallin

Misc Client Work

And they have another one of the Cthulhu
1118.jpg
I've gotta say that the anthropomic nature of Cthulu just makes him not that good of a design to me. The fact he's got two eyes and arms/legs, and the only 'weird' parts are his tentacle beard and the wings make him kind of a crappy design? At least with the Alien/Xeno the head is fucking weird and the tail does a lot to make it seem a lot more alien.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I can't be the only 80s kid that has a slight pause when they see the Gmork (Neverending Story)

hqdefault.jpg

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, but the pic I posted was aesthetically cooler looking/framed than most other pics of the various Xenomorphs out there. So I went with it.

Ha, fair enough.

Do you guys remember Virus (1999)? An alien computer virus starts taking over hardware on an isolated boat but progresses to taking over human flesh as well. Scared me shitless as a kid
latest

Fuuuuuuuuck, I'd purged that from my brain. Terrible movie, but the designs were absolutely horrifying.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't be the only 80s kid that has a slight pause when they see the Gmork (Neverending Story)

hqdefault.jpg
Gmork was fantastic and pretty damn terrifying.

Funnily one of mine and the wife's cats was a long haired black and we used to joke about her being Gmork because of how she would look and being solitary compared to the other cats.
5yos5O5.jpg

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne has some great ones for sure

latest

latest

druaNlI.jpg

latest

latest
cgkaRDF.png

The creature design and art direction is definitely my favorite in gaming.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Here's just a couple of Chap (from the same scene). But yeah, difficult to find the way the movie is shot. Not a compaint, btw.
tumblr_n80krkmiZ61s4nyfho3_r2_500.gifv

alien1-790x528.jpg

tumblr_pi7hvtUzPy1tdkro1o3_540.gifv

Oct 25, 2017
The Alien is great because it's a very slick and clean design. A lot of the Bloodborne monsters (as an example) look cool but there is so much going on that you can't really recall them when you don't see an image of them.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Any kind of monsters?

Trolls then. Scandinavian Trolls in particular. Trolls from games like Swedish TRPG Drakar och Demoner. The whole family species of so called Bastjurs from small Goblins to huge Giants in all their glorious various shapes, forms, dispositions and so on.
e6cd60cafc63177086da805fafb57f47.jpg
ea60c5e4f5db6c7f914f615de9dd3bb3.jpg
6f6bfc03aa6c85a321913856ec218ad5.jpg
tumblr_oyctxwHLUi1rltys9o1_500.png
John_Bauer_1915.jpg

Syagrius

Apr 23, 2019
Life(2017):

88b5d49618276f7846110f8fdae256e57e24e134.gifv

Dead Space:

tenor.gif

Silent Hill:

latest

Lisa Trevor:

tumblr_nnoy67C3YM1rcnqeto1_400.gifv

First sight of the Metroid Prime:

latest

But the xenomorph will never be topped indeed.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
images

This was a cool design for the Alien monster although its a shame it was only on screen for a couple of seconds and completely absent from covenant

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Wait is it this movie?
Virus_%281999_film%29.jpg

I always saw that in video stores but never watched it. Those gifs sold me.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Splinter is a cool little flick with a neat TLOU monster...

Slither has some cool practical effects too...

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of movie monsters here, but I wanted to throw in some of the work that a Finnish webcomic artist has been doing. I love some of the monster designs from Minna Sundberg. First up, we've got the Moose of Hiisi from her comic, A Redtail's Dream:

eng191.jpg

It's a sort of zombie plant-moose that just. won't. quit. And it has quite the mean streak. Its design has stuck in my head for a really long time.

Redtail was literally just a warm-up exercise for Minna, though. She went on to write Stand Still, Stay Silent , which is just chock full of horrible beasties - humans corrupted by (gulp) a horrible global pandemic. I think what gets me most about them, though, is the fact that they're not just physical monsters; their corruption extends to the mental and spiritual realm, too:

158.jpg

It's possibly unfair to categorize all of her monsters as a single monster design as she makes a point of it that all of the ones encountered are unique - though they can be broadly categorized into different groups:

178.jpg

Give it a whirl if this appeals.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It ought to be a common courtesy to mention the source of image/gif instead of simply spamming the image.

Anyway, my vote goes to that bear thing from Annihilation:

9a923edd62f62b1403d36b69ac39bb57.jpg

The way it looked was grotesque enough and then it started to produce sounds and the true horror of the situation was laid bare. It was one of the most chilling things I have seen in a movie, regardless of the genre. Also, the fact that they did not overplay this creature's part makes it that much more special.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's mentioned a million times before, but the psychology behind these fucking monsters is so grotesquely terrifying, it's on a whole other level. But this creature in particular- the creature in this gif- is alluding to some next level shit that goes beyond creepy crawlies. It's incredible, awe inspiring, and absolutely terrible, sad, macabre, painful- truly monstrous.

All monsters in Silent Hill 2 are avatars of trauma and suffering, but Angela's guilt and shame birth something far more sick and violating than even James' Pyramid Head or condom-esque nurses. Angela is accosted by the glistening, contorted embodiment of her worst nightmares: Abstract Daddy, the personification of her repeated rapes and sexual abuse at the hands of her father.

"You could just force me. Beat me up like he always did."

Abstract Daddy is a sentient bed sheeted in mottled, thin flesh. This blanket of skin covers two humanoid forms, one large, one small. The larger body is that of a male adult covering a small child's body, and between her legs a dark bloody patch stains the "bed." It is rot and unnatural and a horrible, sickening weight on top of a small form perpetually screaming in agony. Its arena is no better. The walls and floor are rippled and decayed uterine-like flesh, punctured by lesions through which metal pistons pump ceaselessly in and out. Again. And again. And again. After its death, Angela needs to make sure "he" is dead and smashes a broken TV set onto its head in a rage, mirroring whatever went through her the night she stabbed her father to death.

This disgusting display has been retroactively made even worse by the designer, Masahiro Ito, who agreed with a sentiment in February 2019 that "Abstract Daddy is probably tame to James compared to Angela."

This speaks volumes to how much that outsiders can never truly understand the pain and trauma of someone else, no matter how much they think they do, no matter how much they want to help. What does she see? How many times has Angela been raped and beaten in Silent Hill by these monsters that we and James can't even fathom in their full form?
Source

Another view:

abstractdaddy.jpg.webp

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
The god damn walking shark from Peter Bencleys book Creature (this is from the mini series not really that good but entertainning)

Scared the hell outta since I watched this as a kid and was scared of sharks in general.

tumblr_nrvfe4vLgm1rr8qsxo2_500.jpg

c9dc072db3482c7e114a907619ce15e56f6c1002.gifv

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Of course it's mentioned a million times before, but the psychology behind these fucking monsters is so grotesquely terrifying, it's on a whole other level. But this creature in particular- the creature in this gif- is alluding to some next level shit that goes beyond creepy crawlies. It's incredible, awe inspiring, and absolutely terrible, sad, macabre, painful- truly monstrous.

All monsters in Silent Hill 2 are avatars of trauma and suffering, but Angela's guilt and shame birth something far more sick and violating than even James' Pyramid Head or condom-esque nurses. Angela is accosted by the glistening, contorted embodiment of her worst nightmares: Abstract Daddy, the personification of her repeated rapes and sexual abuse at the hands of her father.

Abstract Daddy is a sentient bed sheeted in mottled, thin flesh. This blanket of skin covers two humanoid forms, one large, one small. The larger body is that of a male adult covering a small child's body, and between her legs a dark bloody patch stains the "bed." It is rot and unnatural and a horrible, sickening weight on top of a small form perpetually screaming in agony. Its arena is no better. The walls and floor are rippled and decayed uterine-like flesh, punctured by lesions through which metal pistons pump ceaselessly in and out. Again. And again. And again. After its death, Angela needs to make sure "he" is dead and smashes a broken TV set onto its head in a rage, mirroring whatever went through her the night she stabbed her father to death.

This disgusting display has been retroactively made even worse by the designer, Masahiro Ito, who agreed with a sentiment in February 2019 that "Abstract Daddy is probably tame to James compared to Angela."

This speaks volumes to how much that outsiders can never truly understand the pain and trauma of someone else, no matter how much they think they do, no matter how much they want to help. What does she see? How many times has Angela been raped and beaten in Silent Hill by these monsters that we and James can't even fathom in their full form?
Source

Another view:

abstractdaddy.jpg.webp

Wow 👀

Also, it looks like I need to watch The Ritual.

I agree the Alien is about as good as it gets. Love the creature/design.

Personally, and this may not be a popular opinion, I find the bloodborn examples overdesigned. I feel that way about the "creatures" in the game in general. Overdone, and almost annoying to look at.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Grey aliens. They are iconic, clearly identifiable, and terrifying without relying on dangerous physical characteristics (lots of teeth, spikes etc).

In particular the cover of Communion frightened me so much as a child I couldn't even look at it. By this age I was already watching Alien, The Thing, The Fly (okay that one fucked me up pretty good) but the deep fear conjured up by this face was on a whole other level.

images

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Source

Another view:

abstractdaddy.jpg.webp
I had forgotten about that enemy. What a horrifying design

Syagrius

Apr 23, 2019
Doctor Who also has a few enemies not yet mentioned:

Empty child:
df8d16b4f0e8a829fe1d5ee73f744d7e9cab8226_hq.gif

Weeping Angel:

08WNF3i7-600x338.gif

Source

Another view:

abstractdaddy.jpg.webp
The worst thing is that it's so clear what it represents, the other enemies such as Pyramid Head and the nurses have some mystery.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree the xenomorph is the greatest.
I'll add Darkness from Legend, his design is pretty unforgettable.